Biker Boater Boarder

Abominal Events Colo. Fat Bike Championships Como

I'm new to racing fat bikes and was curious what people thought of this years course in Como. Is that course "typical" in the fat bike racing world?
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Laramie, Wyoming
    Summit, absolutely NOT. Ben put together a good event, but he failed to think about it would be a course that no one had used for anything else during the winter and that the snow would be crap if not groomed throughout the winter. You can't pack a course in a day or two that 50+ people are going to ride on.

Most courses are on ski trails or snowmobile trails that see traffic and grooming all winter. Yes, snow can do crazy things from one day to the next, but it is easier to get it back into a rideable condition if it has a packed base.

I didn't understand the need for them to add in the hill in the beginning just to have something that everyone had to drag their bikes through. The idea seemed to be that they wanted a spectator section showing crashes on the way back down. That's not a race. A lot of it was enjoyable if you went with someone that you could commiserate with but I'm a little upset that I wasted the money and time to go to an event like that.

Possibly the worst part was that there seemed to be a lot of first-timers who are left with the impression that fat bike races are events where you walk 90% of the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How many showed? Who won?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    How many showed? Who won?
    There were a lot of riders. As far as winning, there weren't many who chose to walk the five laps. Actually, about 10-15% of the course was rideable. Mostly, the finishers were chasing series points and there were only a handful of those.

I heard one guy ask if it was mandatory that he take his bike with him after the first lap.

Nuts
    We had a similar race by me a week ago but the coarse was on a well ridden and well groomed trail but a week before the race if got totally blown over twice and it really fell apart in a few spots with all the traffic.People still had fun but it turned what was going to be a fast xc race into a true fat bike race. Morel of the story yes it needs to be on a well maintained trail but still $hit can still happen.
    And I love beer!!

I'm how far behind?
    Not a typical course for a fat bike race. Can't groom tg snow into anything solid regardless of how hard you try. I have done a lot of races and this race had two firsts for me. The first was that the timing tent closed with riders on the course, the second was that course markings were pulled while at least 4 racers were still on course. Snowmobile was going backwards on the course then stopping and giving directions for the markings he pulled. Courses should be swept in he same direction as the racers and any racers encountered should either be pulled or sweep remains behind them and doesn't pull course markings ahead of racers. Marking pulling wasn't a big deal since it was lap 4 but in other situations you could get racers lost.
    Fatter than most.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Thanks for the feedback. If that was a standard in fat racing, my race career was going to be over quicker than it started ha ha! Leadville here we come.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

Biker Boater Boarder
    The results have been posted.....interesting!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

mtbr member
    Thanks OP for getting this thread going. That too was my first fatbike race and I had the same question!
    In my opinion Ben/Abominable Events did an overall excellent job with the event. Communication all the way up to the event was great, the course was well marked and would have been awesome except for the temps. The heat didn't help which I wonder will lead to a possible night start for the next one?
    I would go back and do it again for sure. It is great to see event promoters giving us fat bike riders/racers options and things to look forward to. This event can only get better next year (from trail packing/prep to start time); I commend the guys/gals for stepping up and blazing a snowy trail for us when there isn't a guidebook to follow.
    As for the hill at the start....I think the intention was to split up/gap riders in order for less backup on the singletrack. Without the hill we would have been standing in line waiting to ride/push our bikes on the trail.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It was a fun event but "heat" wasn't the problem. It's all in the prep and the course just didn't see enough preparation. There isn't a guidebook, but there are a lot of other races that have been going for years to glean information from.

As far as the hill, we were just standing in line, waiting to push our bikes up the hill. I don't see a difference.
    Last edited by alphazz; 01-31-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Goat of Legend
    It was a tough race for sure. I'm glad I did it, finished it but would rather have been up on Kenosha Pass which I heard was in fantastic shape that day from all the snowshoe traffic. There were some things that could have been done differently and I'm sure the promoter learned a few lessons for next year. Good to race with you fellas. I was there more for my Fireball Whiskey shots and the tunes my bike was pouring out then racing anyway!