mtbr member
    Dec 2006

9sp or 10? I apologize in advance...

but I searched and couldn't quite find the answer I am looking for.

Anyway, I'm collecting parts and building a 2012 9:zero:7 with RDs, Husker Dus (if they ever come back in stock) , e.13 snowcrank, SLX (more than likely) front D and SRAM X7 triggers and rear D.

My questions are: what do I order for drivetrain- 9sp or 10? If I run 10 will I have to modify the cassette and make it 9 anyway and if I run 9 will I be all set without issues or modifications?

PLease share your real world experience. what works and what doesn't. I'd rather learn on here than the expensive way.

Oh, feel free to bash if I'm offsides in any way. I'm a big boy and can take it.

Thanks as always,
    J

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
    but I searched and couldn't quite find the answer I am looking for.

Anyway, I'm collecting parts and building a 2012 9:zero:7 with RDs, Husker Dus (if they ever come back in stock) , e.13 snowcrank, SLX (more than likely) front D and SRAM X7 triggers and rear D.

My questions are: what do I order for drivetrain- 9sp or 10? If I run 10 will I have to modify the cassette and make it 9 anyway and if I run 9 will I be all set without issues or modifications?

PLease share your real world experience. what works and what doesn't. I'd rather learn on here than the expensive way.

Oh, feel free to bash if I'm offsides in any way. I'm a big boy and can take it.

Thanks as always,
    J
    Why do you need to modify the 10-sp cassette? Tire clearance? Eight-, 9- and 10-sp cassettes are all the same overall width and fit on the same hubs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What rims are you using? If 80s any cassette should fit, if 100's may or may not but it won't matter if its 9 or 10, as Shiggy said the out to out dimension of the two is the same.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    but but it's an in to in now wha!!??:

mtbr member
    The only reasons to go 9 speed, are price, and theoretical indexing stability*. But 9 spd is disapearing fast. Might as well go 10. Its one faster

(or if you want to use shimano road/TT shifters. In which case go Sram 10spd anyway)
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

9:zero:7
    I have a 2x10 setup on my 2012 907 with marge lites and BFs. I'm happy with this setup.
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    If you feel like burning more cash, go 10 speed.

For a setup that will perform exactly the same, but cheaper cost, go 9 speed.
    yup 9sp is perfectly fine and not disappearing just yet.

ouch....
    If you feel like burning more cash, go 10 speed.

For a setup that will perform exactly the same, but cheaper cost, go 9 speed.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I thought I read on here that some folk were removing cogs from their cassettes to clear the tires, etc., maybe I misunderstood.

And as far as the price...well, I'm getting parts at actual dealer cost, this build is already over budget by several hundred dollars and I want to look super cool while riding super slow. I guess the decision is made- 10 speed it is!

Thanks,
    J

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I thought I read on here that some folk were removing cogs from their cassettes to clear the tires, etc., maybe I misunderstood.

And as far as the price...well, I'm getting parts at actual dealer cost, this build is already over budget by several hundred dollars and I want to look super cool while riding super slow. I guess the decision is made- 10 speed it is!

Thanks,
    J
    Yes, some rim/tire setups need cogs removed to clear, but it needs to be done with 8-, 9-, and 10-sp cassettes.

Your OP made it sound like you would remove a cog only if you went 10-sp.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Thanks,
    J
    I would have drooled over dealer cost and be damned budget but if it's only several hundred you should have a party up in here!!

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 9:zero:7 with Drilled RDs and Husker Dus. I'm running it 2x9 using the RaceFace cranks and I had to use the crank axle shims to get the minimal clearance I have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just put together my wifes 2012 XS 907 with drilled RDs and Larry's. 3x10sp. e13 cranks. No clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I would have drooled over dealer cost and be damned budget but if it's only several hundred you should have a party up in here!!
    Well, the LBS owner takes very good care of me and in return I send everyone I can to him. I also buy lots of random stuff that people bring in, stuff he can't unload and I sell lots of random stuff for him at various bike swaps, etc.

...and it isn't "budget be damned" so much as well, it's only like a hundred bucks more and I might as well go all the way. If you're going to be a bear, might as well be a Grizzly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintott View Post
    I just put together my wifes 2012 XS 907 with drilled RDs and Larry's. 3x10sp. e13 cranks. No clearance issues.
    Coolio! I'm going 2X so it should be even better.

I sent an e-mail off the the guys at Fatbikes and they responded that several of their people are running the exact setup I plan on using and have no issues at all which is very reassuring.

I got the f+f tonight...just need to order the rest of the parts and build! Of course, the tires and skewers are backordered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New question here. 2012 9 zero 7

Just got my 2012 Med 9 Zero, going for a e-13 crank / 2x9 build. Tried a BFL in the back but can't get to the 4 lowest gears on the cassette.Has anyone been able to make BFL's work out back on one of these ?