Thread: 907 vs. Fatback

mtbr member

907 vs. Fatback

I have been riding an aluminum Fatback for several years and love it. My 15yo son has been riding with me (he rides the Fatback, I ride a conventional 26er with Snowcat rims) and it's time he gets his own bike. I have not seen any head-to-head comparisons between the aluminum Fatback vs. 907. The 907 is $250 cheaper which is significant. Any opinions?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Not sure you'll find any direct comparisons for anything 2012/13 time frame. It's all relative. Comes down to what you like.

Fatback frame is made in the US
    907 has 7mm longer stays
    Fatback has slacker HT angle and slightly longer ETT.
    907 is 10sp, Fatback is 9.
    Fatback will come with 120tpi tires and lighter tubes
    907 has triggers, Fatback has gripshift.
    I'd prefer the FSA crankset over the Raceface Ride.

mtbr member
    While we're at it, Anyone have any experience on 907 vs surly? I love that the pugsly feels like a real mountain bike but wish it was lighter, anyone know if the 907s ride the same way?

mtbr member
    Thanks for your quick response. The components are irrelevant as I will be building up the frame. What do the diffences in geometry amount to? Sounds like the Fatback would be slightly more stable on downhills with the slacker HT angle. Any difference in weight or ride quality?

Nuts
    They are both great bikes and they both handle great. Which one is better is very subjective. They both have a different fit so I would look closely at the numbers and see which one works better for you.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    the ultimate choice may come down to which frame is in stock in the size you are looking for.

I love my fatback and the boy loves his, too.

mtbr member
    Since the 907 seems comparable to the Fatback, went with the 907 and was pleased to find that it is $450 with free shipping! Sort of a no-brainer for me. Thanks for all your input.