mtbr member
    Mar 2009

907, Fatback or Mukluk in alloy, which one?

I'm going to build a new bike over time and I'm hoping to have a lighter bike than my current Pugs. I know these are all great bikes and I feel confident in buying from any of the companies. I also know about the hubs and the wheel offset. That said is there something I may be missing that would put one bike above the other? Thank you for your input.

Living the thug life.
    My only problem with my 907 is the lack of time to ride more and lack of desirable weather.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

is buachail foighneach me
    There are plenty of comparison posts out there if you search for them. I haven't ridden a 907 or a salsa, but I've been on my Fatback for 2 years now and love it. It handles like an agile 29er, but is comfortable and stable over really long distances. Greg designed it that way. Additionally, an awful lot of different people are winning an awful lot of major snow and dessert races on Fatbacks. Moreso than any other brand. If it were all the same one or two people, it would obviously just be the rider, but when a brand dominates the race scene like that, maybe there's something more to it?

Nuts
    I realize you probably can't test ride so you might just have to compare geo numbers and see what fits. All that being said I am partial to Fatback, very very fun bike
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    What ever you can get the cheapest.

mtbr member
    I reccomend the Fatbacks. I'm bias as I have one but the build quality is amazing and the geometry is very well set up. Mines an 18" aluminum and all in with pedals it weighs just under 30"lbs.

Well worth a look

Dirt Huffer

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

907 and the Muk frames weight about the same. I am not sure what FatBacks frame weighs but im guessing itís competitive with those as well. You really have to ride each one to decide for yourself. Having ridden all, I liked the 907 geometry the best. The 907 felt like it had a bit more of a racing feel to it. The new hydro formed tubing is a step up from the rest as well. You really cant go wrong with either of the 3 choices though.
    26" for life!!

turtles make me hot
    I recently took delivery of a Fatback frame. I haven't built it up yet, but I can say it's a beautiful piece. Some guy brought a 907 into my LBS to have his headset pressed in and some of the paint came off as they pressed it in. It was a nice looking frame, but that didn't impress me.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I own two Fatbacks a 20 and 22.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I recently took delivery of a Fatback frame. I haven't built it up yet, but I can say it's a beautiful piece. .
    I am thinking of doing the same thing (fatback frame). what fork and wheels are you going to use?

Nuts
    [QUOTE=AC/BC;9058531The new hydro formed tubing is a step up from the rest as well. .[/QUOTE]

Why?
    And I love beer!!

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    My only problem with my 907 is the lack of time to ride more and lack of desirable weather.
    My 907 is suffering the same flaws

$j
    I am slow therefore I am

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    I am thinking of doing the same thing (fatback frame). what fork and wheels are you going to use?
    I'm most likely going to use a Moonlander fork, Clownshoes and the MWOD crankset.
    I'd really like to actually see the Clownshoes and the Fatback 90mm rims before I buy them, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen.
    I like turtles

Nuts
    I'm most likely going to use a Moonlander fork, Clownshoes and the MWOD crankset.
    I'd really like to actually see the Clownshoes and the Fatback 90mm rims before I buy them, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen.
    Why not a Fatback fork to get the proper c-r height
    And I love beer!!

Wood chips are stupid
    I suggest a Fatback fork for your Fatback bike.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Do you not need a tapered steering tube on the fork for that frame?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Do you not need a tapered steering tube on the fork for that frame?
    No you can get a 1 1/8" to 1 1/2 adapter for the headset but I would still use a Fatback fork. A person could always get a steel one if they don't want the carbon fork.
    And I love beer!!

turtles make me hot
    If Fatback would hurry up and put a steel fork on their website, I would get that. I'm sure I'm beyond the limits of the carbon fork. If I need to use a straight steerer fork, I'll just get the appropriate headset.
    I was considering the Surly fork for max clearance. I haven't checked the ride height and rake and whatnot yet.
    I like turtles

Nuts
    If Fatback would hurry up and put a steel fork on their website, I would get that. I'm sure I'm beyond the limits of the carbon fork. If I need to use a straight steerer fork, I'll just get the appropriate headset.
    I was considering the Surly fork for max clearance. I haven't checked the ride height and rake and whatnot yet.
    I have found 2 Fatback steel forks used, their out there with a little searching. The Fatback uses a 460mm c-r and I'm not sure of the rake but the way Greg designed it is spot on and I wouldn't change it. Not sure why they haven't released a steel fork yet, maybe give them a shout on the phone.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Isn`t the moonlander fork offset if thats the case you would have a front offset wheel & rear non offset right ? has anyone done that before ? & just wonder if ya could tell anything in the ride or maybe not

mtbr member
    I baught 2 fatbacks! One for me and my wife. After making many, many changes to her other bikes to make them more comfortable for the long rides she now only rides her fatback. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by KP snowman View Post
    Isn`t the moonlander fork offset if thats the case you would have a front offset wheel & rear non offset right ? has anyone done that before ? & just wonder if ya could tell anything in the ride or maybe not
    Nope, a Moonlander isn't an offset but the rear wheel is.
    And I love beer!!

turtles make me hot
    I can wait a little while. I'll call in a week or so.
    I like turtles

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Why?
    The ridgidy and isolation dampening is better.
    26" for life!!

Fatback
    Pete is the web guy at this time, and he's on the Iditarod Trail-just won the race to McGrath by the way, might head on to Nome. Not sure I can get any product on there while he's away. Give us a call if you are interested in purchasing a fork. 907-222-1967
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com