mtbr member
    Sep 2012

907 Build Question (Skewer, F-Derailleur & Headset)

I must say I just posted five junk responses in order to be able to post a new thread - perhaps lowering the limit would be nice for those that are not active bloggers.

I am building a 9:Zero:7 - frame is on order and I just need to wait for it to arrive hopefully by November 1! My questions are:

1. What are you folks using for the 170mm rear skewer? Seems Salsa is the only one I actively see on google searches. The other brand, I cannot find any info, even on their website for skewers (something out of Alaska).
    --Is the Paul RHUB a 5mm skewer diameter? I assume it would be just like the rest.

2. If I elect a 2x10 setup, for the front derailleur on a triple crank with a bash guard - are you using a 2x derailleur or a 3x derailleur do to the small ring up front?

3. For the headset, do I go with a zero stack (ZS) or something different. The new 9:zero:7 is a 44mm head tube which is different then previous years.

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    I have a Zerostack (ZS44) Short awaiting my 907 frame, assuming that will fit fine.

Anchorage, AK
    Old man mountain sells a long skewer that is light and inexpressive and fits 170 hubs.

--Lars
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shaivism View Post
    2. If I elect a 2x10 setup, for the front derailleur on a triple crank with a bash guard - are you using a 2x derailleur or a 3x derailleur do to the small ring up front?
    I run 2X9 on a couple of bikes. One with a 36 big ring one with a 32. Both have bash ring/chain guards.

On the 36 I am running an older 2 by SLX E type derailler. It works great and looks "normal" as there is no big gap between the chain ring and the derailler. On the 32 I am running a standard XTR triple E type front derailler. It also works great but the gap looks a little odd.

The SLX is on the bike with the bigger chainring because it's my bike and I want it that way. The other is on my wife's bike and she doesn't care about a gap between derailler and chainring. Go figure
    Last edited by sryanak; 10-07-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thank you. I did a doube take at OMM website, it needs some improvement because I never noticed the "next page" to get to the skewers when I was looking last week.

To sum up the responses as I interpret them:

1. Headset option is fine.
    2. OMM skewers are $12.99 per the website. Better priced then Salsa!
    3. Go with a 2X derailleure on a 3 ring crank when using a bash guard.

Any added feedback is appreciated!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    What crankset will you run, to much offset and a 2x FD won't go over far enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    What crankset will you run, to much offset and a 2x FD won't go over far enough.
    I will be runnng Race Face Atlas Snow Crank.

mtbr member
    9-0-7 with the 170 hub..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    9-0-7 with the 170 hub..
    Yes. I am using Pauls RHUB / WHUB combo.