Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

907 and Alfine 8

We have a pair of 2011 fatbikes. I'm thinking of converting one to an Alfine 8.
    One frame is a small and the other is an extra small. Trying to figure gearing and chain length.

Anybody with experience?

=========
    What is the rear spacing of your 907? 170 or 135? Alfine has 135 spacing. 170 and alfine can be done, but spacers for the brakes and hub would need to be machined. Chain tension is the other issue that you'll run into. You can try to use a half-link to get you close to a perect fit or consider any number of chain tensioning devises to get the job done.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    135 offset frame. I have a snow white pugs to use if I can't make the 907 work. My goal is to stop buying derailers for my wife's 907....just sayin'

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Are you saying you want to magic gear it?

http://www.eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

23T Alfine cogs are easily available.

Not sure if that helps, worth a shot.

EDIT: Having done a magic gear bike and it being a royal pain in the ass, I hope your offset frame has sliding dropouts.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    EDIT: Having done a magic gear bike and it being a royal pain in the ass, I hope your offset frame has sliding dropouts.
    or just use a chain tensioner. The clean chainline thing only is awesome when it means robust/hassle free service. When you have to compromise your gear ratios and worry about chain wear all the time you've killed any stoke I'd have for the idea.

Just get a chain tensioner. I use one with a Rohloff on my Big Dummy and it's not a bad solution if you have vertical dropouts.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I've been running my 907 as a singlespeed or with an Alfine since I got it.

I use magic ratio 32/20. Have never used a tensioner.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    I wouldn't want to go from a 23T cog in the rear to a 20T just to use a magic gear. I find the 32T x 23T just low enough and other people would want to go even lower on a fat bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I use lower gearing on my Pug (32/22), but the 907 seems to be quite happy with the higher ratio. (Although I tend to use the Pug for all day rides and the 907 for just 3 or 4 hours.)

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I use lower gearing on my Pug (32/22), but the 907 seems to be quite happy with the higher ratio. (Although I tend to use the Pug for all day rides and the 907 for just 3 or 4 hours.)
    It's quite possible you are a stronger rider than the OP's wife. I know that my GF appreciates lower gears than I would need.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    I have a snow white pugs to use if I can't make the 907 work. My goal is to stop buying derailers for my wife's 907....just sayin'
    The Pugs will setup with an A8 IGH no problem. It's the same wheel offset as the 907 so you can try it in the Pugs with a 32T x 23T. If she needs lower gears you can get a 30T ring for a 104 BCD MTB crank if that's what you have.

If she doesn't need the low gears of the 32T x 23T setup you can try VB's 32T x 20T magic gear combo on the 907.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    FYI, I ran an Alfine 11 in my 907 this winter. I used an Alfine Chain Tensioner and kept the RaceFace double & bash up front to give me 2x11 gears. If you swap the Alfine alignment washers around you can run the gear cable up the seatstay.

IMAG0303 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: 907 and Alfine 8

A Pugsley begs for an IGH. I recently set mine up with an Alfine 8 and I love it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I will probably set it up first on the Pugs. Use it as a test sled. Find the gearing she likes and transfer it over. IF she doesn't like it....I get an IGH Pugs!
    Vikb, what non-turn washers for the Pugs. I'll order the non-turn for both the 907 and the Pugs at the same time.
    Thanks for the info folks. The members on the fatbike forum have to be the best on mtbr.

mtbr member
    To set up the 907 like mine you'll need the green/blue non-turn washers (8L/8R).

Remember that she'll need to carry a 15mm spanner with her :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Vikb, what non-turn washers for the Pugs. I'll order the non-turn for both the 907 and the Pugs at the same time.
    Blue/Green for both the 907 and the Pugs - you'll swap them side to side when going from one to the other.

Enjoy the A8 on a Pugs is a great setup. You can always leave the A8 on there and get her a new one for the 907.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Thanks again everyone. I am looking at keeping the "dangle-ly" things away from roots and rocks. A DMR or surly singulator to tension the chain (on the 907) to pull up on the chain. The Pugs won't need it. Man, I love my pugs...just like my 1x1. A blank canvas.