mtbr member
    May 2012

907 190mm - Will Fatback/FSA 170mm Crank work with single ring 1x10 setup?

I have the opportunity to pickup an older Fatback/FSA crankset for my 907 build (190mm) for under $100 with a newish RaceFace Narrow Wide 30T ring. This is basically the setup I was going for anyways (RF single chainring) but I want to make sure this is going to work on my frame. I will never be putting an FD on the bike, and will only be running 1x10. It looks as if I can potentially mount the chainring on the outside of the crankarm, providing a bigger chainline. However, as this is my maiden voyage into fatbikes, I thought I would ask the Q before sending a payment for the crank. FYI, the owner of LBS where I purchased the frame is an avid fatbiker and he specifically told me that some 170 cranks would work on this frame, but didnt elaborate. I just don't want to buy this and have it not work and be left with it to sell! LEt me know opinions please.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Oh and my other option is modify an older X5 crankset I have laying around (cut spindle and weld in spacer) as I have seen this done a few places online and it seems to work. I can do the work myself and the crank is free, so if the Fatback isn't going to work maybe the X5 will?

aka bOb
    I had one on my Yampa (190) with the ring mounted in the outside position and it cleared a Lou on a hundy with a pretty good chainline, still a very decent crankset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by puds View Post
    Oh and my other option is modify an older X5 crankset I have laying around (cut spindle and weld in spacer) as I have seen this done a few places online and it seems to work. I can do the work myself and the crank is free, so if the Fatback isn't going to work maybe the X5 will?
    There has only been mixed success with welding spindles to make them fit fat bikes. The failure mode can be dramatic. If you can heat treat the spindle properly then go for it, otherwise the Fatback crank should be a good option.
    Latitude 61

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by puds View Post
    Don't do this, see below.
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    There has only been mixed success with welding spindles to make them fit fat bikes. The failure mode can be dramatic. If you can heat treat the spindle properly then go for it, otherwise the Fatback crank should be a good option.
    I was one of said people and it about got me killed dead. There was a shop out of MI that was doing the same thing and was going to market it a few years back but they kinda disappeared, I'm thinking they heard my warnings and decided the liability wasn't worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I opted for the fatback crank, can't go wrong for 90 bucks with chainring shipped. From what I have read it seems like it should work 1x10 no problem even on a lou or snowshoe XL like I plan on running, plus I am opting for 80mm Mulefut rims rather than the 100's for weight savings and tubeless setup