MLR
    mtbr member

9 Zero 7 Whiteout w/Bluto

This past winter I built my first Fat Bike. I choose the 9 Zero 7 Whiteout, for many reasons and upon original purchase I had “Zero” intentions of adding suspension to the 9 Zero 7, as I was only originally planning riding it on the snow only. Basically, after riding the bike all winter, I was massively hit by the Fat Bike Bug. I literally have not touched my other 2 bikes since building this machine and I have been riding it all spring/summer (175 miles on the Bluto, so far). About 5 weeks ago I rode my friend’s bike with the Bluto and was completely blown away by the feel. I contacted my LBS who had 10 in the store and bought it that day. Essentially, this bike is unreal in so many situations, that I am actually contemplating selling my now dust collecting MOOTS. Sure the MOOTS is a faster bike, but this bike is pretty darn fast and it can do anything that my trails can throw at it. The best way I can describe the bike now, is that if you hit a transition, multi-layered rocky section or a sharp down and up section, this bike just simply laughs at it, which in turn makes you grin and smile from ear to ear. I find myself constantly saying to myself, let’s turn around and do that again! Lastly, these pics are from my Skills course I built around one of my garages and YES, I ride it on the Fat Bike now!

ANYONE WANT TO BUY A BAD ASS CUSTOM MOOTS?...
    66 lbs of Custom Bikes:

MOOTS Zirkel
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout
    Klein Attitude Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bike looks very nice and I really like that skills course
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great report and pics, MLR.
    I have been saying for a while that the Bluto would be a game changer, and that has proven true. I'm fairly confident that we would not have seen the current explosion in fatbike offerings from all kinds of brands if it had not been for the Bluto, as a Bluto equipped bike will rewrite the rules of trail riding, maybe not so much on my former (and dearly missed) dusty trails of Utah, but over here in soggy and muddy Norway, such a machine is in a league of its own. It was a great trailmachine with super sticky Silica type 4.8'' tires providing all the cush, but with the Bluto, the fatbike simply rocks. A 2.4'' tire trailbike bike feels super sketchy in comparison when testet back to back.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How muck travel on the fork? I have the same bike and am considering getting the same fork.

Anchorage, AK

Great looking bike. I have the same bike but orange and was thinking about Bluto-ing it up. My one thing is that I love how light the bike is as it sits. I guess I'll just have to test one out to see if the suspension is more important that the lightning quickness that I love. I'm sure it is

Sent from my wireless communication apparatus
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

It's 100mm fork.

ps he's my riding partner

Marty-mj
    www.garagescene.net www.syborgtwinturbo.com www.2ndcamaro.com
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    I thought 907 said it needed to be 80mm to keep the geometry close...all their testing was done with an 80mm when I spoke to them about putting one on mine...
    Last edited by Fat907; 6 Days Ago at 02:14 PM.

MLR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    Great looking bike. I have the same bike but orange and was thinking about Bluto-ing it up. My one thing is that I love how light the bike is as it sits. I guess I'll just have to test one out to see if the suspension is more important that the lightning quickness that I love. I'm sure it is

Sent from my wireless communication apparatus

I thought the exact same thing as you, but IMO - the bikes front end is too light anyhow (great for snow), but adding the front end weight, actually balances the bike out very well. I can honestly say, I do not notice the weight at all when riding. As it sits right now, it a shade above 27 lbs, which is still consider feathery light in the Fat Bike world. My plan right now is to swap it back in the winter, as if we get as much snow as this year (Chicagoland), then I will want he weight savings.
    66 lbs of Custom Bikes:

MOOTS Zirkel
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout
    Klein Attitude Comp

MLR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat907 View Post
    I thought 907 said it needed to be 80mm to keep the geometry close...all their testing was done with an 80mm when I spoke to them about putting one on mine...
    Couldn't tell ya, but what I can tell you is that, I measured mine before and after installation and the height was exactly the same when on the actual bike (including the very minor sag factor). Basically, I would rather have the extra travel then to worry about geometry that does not really change the bike, as it is constantly moving anyway with the suspension traveling up and down. My guess is that 9 Zero 7 wanted the off the bike starting position to be closer to the original specs, but again, as soon as you sit on the bike, then are they below the geometry? Honestly don't know, nor do I care. What I can tell for sure, is that the bike rides really nice as it sits right now and anyone that tells you it is not worth it or it does not need suspension, likely has not tried it and they basically are blowing smoke up your...well you know!
    66 lbs of Custom Bikes:

MOOTS Zirkel
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout
    Klein Attitude Comp

ouch....
    Very sharp bike! & love the skills course
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout w/Bluto-image.jpg9 Zero 7 Whiteout w/Bluto-image.jpgStock a-c is 468mm.....100mm Bluto is 511mm less 20% sag is 491mm...23mm is quite a change math wise......I have an 80 on mine and have an A-C of 469 with sag figured in

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

100mm Bluto is amazing on this bike...

Whiteout and Bluto is a great combination
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9 Zero 7 Whiteout w/Bluto-image.jpg  

9 Zero 7 Whiteout w/Bluto-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    From 9 Zero 7 Facebook page...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9 Zero 7 Whiteout w/Bluto-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    The orange looks great.........not trying to start an argument I'm just repeating what I was told by them........my bike is set up at 80mm with near stock geometry and I'm super happy with how it rides with the mods we have done... Best change was oil weight

Living the thug life.
    9 Zero 7 Whiteout w/Bluto-imag1399.jpg

Piles and piles of miles and smiles with a 100mm bluto. Been thinking about strategically placing tape over the Whiteout on the toptube to say "hit it", cause that is what I love to do when riding it.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride...................

mtbr member
    Some of why I think the alu frame uses an 80 is probably due to having to use an external cup lower headset.....the EC40 from Cane Creek adds 12.8 mm

Living the thug life.
    Sweet ride...................
    Thanks, I would agree. FYI, an 80mm may keep the geo the same, but my 100mm rocks as well.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Ride it like you stole it...................LOL

mtbr member
    How does it steer? Still like stock or did it get slower? Noticeable?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The orange looks great.........not trying to start an argument I'm just repeating what I was told by them........my bike is set up at 80mm with near stock geometry and I'm super happy with how it rides with the mods we have done... Best change was oil weight
    Sorry wasn't meant to be confrontational, it's just as well the 100mm work as we only have availability of 100mm & 120mm from Sram in the UK.

mtbr member
    We only have 100mm here so far......and finding an air tube to make it work plus 2 more bottomless tokens was a pain.........I now have the RTC3 dampener pieces so I'll see how it changes and do a review.......again the best change or at least the most significant one was changing oil weight to 7.5 and using only 100ml

Living the thug life.
    How does it steer? Still like stock or did it get slower? Noticeable?
    Well, I went to wider rims (had summer type rims) at the same time, so it is a little hard to tell. The rims definitely changed the handing of the entire bike. Looking forward to Nextie's 65mm rims to come out and I can get back to more summer rims. These 90mm rims will be spot on for the winter though. I am not complaining mind you. The narrow rims just round out the tire better, changing the ride.

My blog.