Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9:zero:7 tusken

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

9:zero:7 tusken

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They need to update the picture - but it sounds pretty slick. I'd like to see an actual build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Velonews did a feature on it during interbike.

Here is the story

Cheers,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by evilcat View Post

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I thought it was interesting that they are retailing them now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    There are a few pictures of the rear drive train on their facebook page. Seems to me they will be delivered with a 42 sprocket up front, and a 24 cog rear. Thats not so far from 32.18 on a single speed 29er I reckon?

Anyone know what kind of gearing range this will give for this Nuvinci hub? F.ex compared to a 1x10 setup with a 11-36 cassette?

Bjørn
    Last edited by BjornS; 11-06-2012 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I believe it will compare more to a 2x10 setup gear range wise

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The NuVinci is going to have a range of about 26 - 93 gear inches. A 29er with a 32 - 11/36 will be around 26 - 84 gear inches.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by BjornS View Post
    There are a few pictures of the rear drive train on their facebook page. Seems to me they will be delivered with a 42 sprocket up front, and a 24 cog rear. Thats not so far from 32.18 on a single speed 29er I reckon?

Anyone know what kind of gearing range this will give for this Nuvinci hub? F.ex compared to a 1x10 setup with a 11-36 cassette?

Bjørn

ouch....
    Looks sick! So many cool fat frames these days!
    Riding.....

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Tusken, huh.

I hope a clique of dorky riders buy a bunch of these, and then ride single file to hide their numbers.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Harmonius Wrench
    The Origin 8 fat bike was set up with a Nuvinci drive train at the Outdoor Demo at Interbike last year and this. I have ridden it both years. I didn't think the range was very impressive. My impressions were that you could probably get your low end at the sacrifice of much high end with judicious cog selection. As set up there both years the gearing wasn't low enough, and the high end was already lacking somewhat. I am pretty sure it wouldn't work well for my needs, but it might be the bees knees for some of you guys.

Nuts
    Boy those look like the same dropouts that are on my old Redline Monocog Flight commuter.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't know, I'm build my bike kind of like the $3999 Nome (except is mostly XTR) and I end up at the money ball park even if I was using some used parts (From myself, trade, purchase) still more fun to build them part by part your self, but many other people have different taste.

Ps: except for the frame most of the new parts where purchase wholesale when ever possible..

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I will generally concede that Guitar Ted has a point - the low range of an N360, like an Alfine, is a problem. It works here as I'm a flat lander, but even I wish for a lower gear at times.

Tough call though - it's a damn fun hub to ride with.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Chainline? The Gates Centertrack has (according to Gates tech pages) a 43.65 mm spacing from frame center to sprocket/cog center. This is for the Shimano Alfine 8 and 11. However, the Nuvinci IGH has a 45,53mm spacing. This is two mm more "outboard" compared to the Alfine.

Does this imply that the chainline for these IGH is "good ****" with respect to wide tires like BFL and maybe Bud/Lou?

I'm aware of that the 135mm frame itself may as well be the limitation, but just curious while waiting for my new bike build.

Bj

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like an interesting option. Does anyone know the weight difference between a [Nuvinci hub + Gates belt drivetrain] vs. [conventional hub + cassette + chain + front and rear derailleur + front shifters/cable/housing]?

Also, any thoughts on how the belt drive would hold up in ice/snow and cold temperatures?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i've got one on order for my wife - but have been waiting and now have been told that there was a problem with the parts compatibility - to quote " I wanted to give you an update on your order. We have experienced an issue with the chain stay length. In essence, the belt drive specifications did not fit the frame. There will be a slight modification to the size of the rear sprocket. We are working diligently with Gates and Nuvinci to ensure the best possible product is sent out to you ASAP. The novelty of this project is creating a few hick ups, but please be assured that we will get a great bike out to you as quickly as possible. I’ll send you any updates as they are available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Almost went this route. I love the Gates Center Drive system on my mountain bike.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I did get the same answer as happyjack.

Hope this is a matter of days and not weeks and such. I wonder what combination of cog and sprocket they use on them bikes pictured here on the forum. Have seen pics of several 9zero7 SDR frames with Gates Belt drive recently, but no one with the NuVinci. Only pictures from Interbike...

Bj.

mtbr member
    That is nice of them to keep taking orders for this bike where a problem still exists.
    Least they could do is put a hold on further orders & post a notice on the web page
    Bike has only been a year in the making....bit late to realise the belt drive doesn't work
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I agree with your sentiments motorman but at the same time hope to have a fun reliable fool proof excuse to have my wife embrace the winter a little more when it's all said and done - I too was wondering about the chainring/cog pairing that they were proposing ....guess I'll just ask them and let you know when they get back to me....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Walked into CRC a few weeks ago and spec'd out my idea for the perfect AK snow bike. Didn't know about the Tusken at that time, and nobody mentioned that name, while we built my bike on paper. But, except for a few small details, my custom build IS a Tusken. I haven't placed my order yet, and just checked the specs for my drivetrain from CRC's quote:

- Gates Carbon CDX Center Trax 39 front 4 arm 104mm BCD
    - Gates 118T belt, 1298mm length, 10mm wide
    - Gates NuVinci 24 tooth cog

Is this the same drivetrain that is now having issues?

Thanx, Dave.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was told the Tusken supposed to have 42 sprocket and 24 cog. Dont know the belt length.

There are several combinations of cog/sprocket/belt that works with the given frame geometry (quote from fatbikes.com: "The sliding dropout gives a chainstay length of 450-466mm).

There might be some magic ration 42/24 or larger that they will avoid, or some area of ratio with respect to hub guarantee issues. The larger cog on the hub the larger the momentum on the NuVinci hub internals (or something like that).

Other thoughts regarding this issue: i'm sure its going to be a perfect winter bike, belt driven and all. If I gather all the parts at an internet store, and collect frame, fork and wheelset from fatbikes.com, the total price is way more than the complete build.I think it is a good deal, and looking forward to ride it once arrived and built up.

Bj.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Colin at 9zero7 says they are now going to go with 42/28 - supposed to receive the sprockets from Gates this week and have bikes sent out thereafter - hope mine gets sent out before the weekend....FWIW - I think the added climbing assist will be nice with this new proposed combo - my wife has 42/28 on her SS and loves it - the added range the Nuvinci will contribute should be about perfect for our local riding (Laramie, WY)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Crank/Sprocket ratios keep getting lower (42/24=1.75), and lower (39/24=1.625), and lower (42/28=1.5).

I remember reading that the NuVinci was supposed to run at 1.8 or above?

Curious, Dave.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I assume a company like fatbikes has spent time with the manufacturer clarifying any guarantee issues when they actually sell complete bikes with a 42/28 ratio. I'm sure that when they state that this combination will be the one for the Tusken bike, then it should all be ok regarding use of it and guarantee issues that might be rised later.

On the other hand, my experience is that recommendations from different bike part manufacturers have a lot of "safety margins" included in these recommendations. That being said, I do not encourage anyone to use any bike drivetrain set up outside of the manufacturers recommendations. You might end up hurting yourself or someone else.

One question: Is this 42/28 combination in the middle of the gear range, so to say? So that the Nuvinci hub gives half of the gearing range on both sides symmetrically?

Bj.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast