Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

9:ZERO:7 Rear Hub Junk. New Personal Record

It's a good hub they said, no need to worry they said. BULLSH!T!!

For the last few rides I have been experiencing what I thought was the chain "skipping" when climbing, but when it kept happening with a new chain and cassette, I figured something else was up.

Less than 100 miles and I made this POS 9:ZERO:7 (cho sen) 197TA rear hub my b!tch. The bearings in the freehub are already pretty rough, and am I flexing the rear end enough to cause the fh body to contact the teeth of the drive ring and cause damage.

Using the ol' Google machine turns up similar results with Stans and Sun Ringle hubs, which are the same as 9:ZERO:7.

I am the lightest I have ever been since I started biking (235lbs), but the strongest I have ever been.

Please try convince me that clydes don't put down the power.

Not my pic, but my hub looks exactly the same with very similar damage. Pic taken from Stans ZTR thread.

9:ZERO:7 Rear Hub Junk. New Personal Record-hub.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am simultaneously sympathetic and in awe of your hub destroying power.

turtles make me hot
    I did exactly the same thing to mine. Replaced it with a Hope. All is right with the world.
    I like turtles

Workin for the weekend!
    Frustrating to see a new bike with a weak part, especially after the designed in AK bragging...
    Todd

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ...the strongest I have ever been.
    HubHulk get angry....HubHulk smaaashhh!!!!

turtles make me hot
    I must be a very smooth rider because I weigh 255 and I leg press a LOT of weight a LOT of times and it took me ten months to ruin mine.
    I like turtles

Workin for the weekend!
    Does Hope make a 197mm version of the Fatsno hub? I'm gonna anticipate the worst.
    Todd

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Does Hope make a 197mm version of the Fatsno hub? I'm gonna anticipate the worst.
    Yessiree
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I must be a very smooth rider because I weigh 255 and I leg press a LOT of weight a LOT of times and it took me ten months to ruin mine.
    You may very well be a smooth criminal. How much climbing do you do on an average ride. A typical 10 mile ride for me is roughly 500-800ft of climbing, so not that much. I also like to blaze trails through the woods, so I might demand a lot more "instant" torque from my hub.

Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Don't get me started on Hope hubs, I already had my fair share of trouble with their 170mm rear hub.

I am thinking either I9 or the new Onyx hubs.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm curious what axle bearings these hubs use. I destroyed bearings on my Stans 3.30 on a regular basis, they used the 6902 bearing (15mm ID x 28mm OD x 7mm). After I completely destroyed the hub, they warranteed it with a 3.30HD. It has bigger bearings and so far so good at 4 months.

I'd recommend using SKF bearings if possible.

turtles make me hot
    I do my fair share of climbing. That's why I was a little surprised my hub lasted as long as it did. I kind of expected to ruin it when I built the wheel.

Jonshonda, did you have problems with the latest generation of Hope fat hub? Mine is perfect so far.
    I like turtles

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Generally speaking, are 190 hubs less reliable than 170 hubs? My 170 hope has been good, except for the driver getting a little chewed up.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Rider style can have something to do with it. How easy are you on the engagement point? Some people really slam their pawls pretty hard. They also tend to be chain snappers. Hub style can have a lot to do with it. How quickly does the freewheel engage? I have three Salsa hubs. One I blew the pawls out of. One is working perfectly. The third has a very slow pawl engagement, which worries me. The blown one was replaced with a Fatsno. What a racket it makes, but if it holds up I guess I will get used to it.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I do my fair share of climbing. That's why I was a little surprised my hub lasted as long as it did. I kind of expected to ruin it when I built the wheel.

Jonshonda, did you have problems with the latest generation of Hope fat hub? Mine is perfect so far.
    I do not have experience with the latest 40 poi Hope Hubs, but was told the only thing that changed was the drive ring (more teeth for higher engagment). Everything else is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

Rider style can have something to do with it. How easy are you on the engagement point? Some people really slam their pawls pretty hard. They also tend to be chain snappers. Hub style can have a lot to do with it. How quickly does the freewheel engage?
    Only my closest friends call me Hey!!! Better watch it.

How easy am I on engagement point....hmmm, never really cared much about it, and to be honest, will never care much about it. When I am trying to make a tight corner, basically doing a track stand, and having to pull my front wheel over a 12" log, all while in 6" of snow, being gentle is my last thought. I only ever snapped one chain (in three places) it was my fault though, my dumba$$ bought an SL version of the KMC. doh!

Maybe I can talk Hope into pressing all new bearings (skf or enduro) into a brand new hub and send it to me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maybe I can talk Hope into pressing all new bearings (skf or enduro) into a brand new hub and send it to me?
    That's the only way a hope will work, the new bearings that they are using are soft as cheese stainless..... your lucky if you will get out the parking lot before there are strange noises! SKF get's my vote.

This place needs an enema
    Counting the days til my shipment of DT 350 fatty hubs arrives.

mtbr member
    I did exactly the same thing to mine. Replaced it with a Hope. All is right with the world.
    You are not a Power Clyde.

I ripped a Hope hub literally into pieces. Tore the cassette body right off. Bent the axle.

Read the Clyde forums, I'm not alone.

Clyde = King, I9, Hadley or walk home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    197TA rear hubs? Think they would be a better option than I9?

mtbr member
    Dude, I am so getting a wheelset from you. I'll keep an eye to see how that goes.

197TA rear hubs? Think they would be a better option than I9?
    There's Mrs. Right, and then there's Mrs. Right Now. DT hubs aren't gonna be here til ~April.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There's Mrs. Right, and then there's Mrs. Right Now. DT hubs aren't gonna be here til ~April.
    Mrs. Right now it is!!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    this seems to be endemic of a lot of 190 hubs- between axles, pawls and bearings, they seem to be failing at an unusually high rate. Are there any makes that aren't failing yet?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    this seems to be endemic of a lot of 190 hubs- between axles, pawls and bearings, they seem to be failing at an unusually high rate. Are there any makes that aren't failing yet?
    I only have a sample size of 2, but the DT 350 fatty's I've been riding this fall and winter have behaved exactly like all of my other DT 350/240s/440 hubs. Which is to say I never notice they're there.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    No kidding.
    I wonder if there is a correlation to axle type, flexing etc on these crazy-wide hubs.

Wonder if King or Hadley will ever jump into the fat hub market?
    Riding.....

Workin for the weekend!
    What kind of surfaces are you guys riding when these failures occur? Anything I've broken occurs on high grip season, never in the snow. There is never enough grip whilst riding snow to create enough torque to break ****...

I've killed a few different hubs (Formula, Easton, Mavic), cassettes (SRAM 990, XT 780) to know that pedalling and shift timing is key. I won't run a 1x 10setup, the granny keeps me from destroying the hub, I rarely stand up on my pedals anymore...

The 1x11 idea looks good, when the cost comes down. 10speed is still quite good for the riding I do.
    Todd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast