Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

9 ZERO 7 question:

I was talking to one of the owners of a local LBS about fatbikes.
    I asked his opinion of the 9zero7 bikes. He stated that they are strictly snow bikes and not good for summer single track riding.
    I don't know why this would be true.
    Can anyone explain to me the reason for this thinking?
    They have a high bottom bracket height, I don't get it?

mtbr member
    If you search the fatbike forum, you'll see there are plenty of us who ride our fatties year-round on singletrack and most everything else. They shine on soft surfaces - snow, sand, tundra, mud (to a point) - and work better on moderately technical singletrack than may non-fat riders are aware of or will admit. Maybe what the LBS guys was saying is that there are better options for someone who wants a bike strictly for summer trail riding. This is true. Generally speaking, fat bikes are heavier, slower, and bouncier than xc bikes. Front suspension, if you are into that, will cost you $$$$. But if you want a capable, reliable, all-around bike and don't require the lightest thing around, you should consider a fatbike an option.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    The ignorami talk a load of bollocks...

Don't believe them.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhan View Post
    I was talking to one of the owners of a local LBS about fatbikes.
    I asked his opinion of the 9zero7 bikes. He stated that they are strictly snow bikes and not good for summer single track riding.
    I don't know why this would be true.
    Can anyone explain to me the reason for this thinking?
    They have a high bottom bracket height, I don't get it?
    compared to other fat bikes or other bikes in general?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Did the bike shop sell 907 bikes? If not they may want to sell you something they deal in. The only thing that I have found that doesn't work that well on single track is a canoe.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Complete and utter bollocks. My 9zero7 is my #1 trail bike and no one I ride with ever complains I am holding them up. 4" tyres in loose dust and gravel or over rocks, what's not to like?

mtbr member
    He is obliviously what I like to call WRONG!! I ride my 9-0-7 with a Lefty on technical trails all the time. With the extra traction my friends can hardly keep up on some of the loose climbs. My wife just started riding my bike so I will be ordering a new 190 McGrath with Bud, Lou and Clownshoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks, I have a 9zero7 and realize that it is hard to keep up with my friends on their standard mtb's on dirt single track.
    I just couldn't figure out why he said the 9 zero 7 was not designed like a "trail bike".
    I guess I should go back and ask what he's referring to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think I'm agreeing with you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    He sells Capital fat bikes (it is a local frame builder).
    He said that the "capital" was an all season trail bike and the 9Zero7 was a "snow bike".

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm thinking of getting some rabbit hole 29" wheels and a lefty for summer.
    Do you think 650b P35's would work OK?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, they are heavier and slower due to the extreme rotational weight/resistance, but on dirt it's not as bad (as pavement) and they can be quite fun. Geometry is fine and I find I can do some pretty amazing jumps considering it's a rigid bike. There's nothing that prevents you from riding trails though and having fun. They are mountain bikes after all. I've been riding a fatbike all summer. You obviously don't need the widest tires in the summer nor all the attachments that you might run in winter (pogie, flat pedals, fenders, etc)...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    He sells Capital fat bikes (it is a local frame builder).
    He said that the "capital" was an all season trail bike and the 9Zero7 was a "snow bike".
    I'd find another shop. This guy thinks you are a sucker and is feeding you BS.

I've got a Pugsley and a 907.

The Pug gets used for snow and bog, the 907 is my trail bike. I've got a very light Ti Lynskey 29er which has barely been used since I got the 907 2 years ago, so I'm not short of good trail bikes.

BTW as far as "slow" is concerned, one thing I know from experience is that over 24 hours I can cover more ground on my fatbike than my much lighter 29er.
    Last edited by Velobike; 07-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Watch some of the video's on the Fat Bike Video thread. Lot's of 9-0-7's there trashing the trails along with every other brand fatty.

mtbr member
    I loved the performance of my 907 so much I swore "no more skinny tires". I sold my FS frame and fork bought a Surly Krampus 29+ frame and Rabbit Hole wheels moved the drive train and brakes from the FS bike to the Krampus and now I'm rockin', never been so fast on the trails. These are my two trail bikes 907 and Krampus. Love big tires.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just switched to a 27tpi hudu front 120tpi knard rear from 27tpi nates, and I can say that this thing is much faster. While I am not a racer, I did notice on my first ride with these tires I was keeping up with the average speed on my mtb.

This is my only mud slinger until I can save up for a full squish pivot or YETI.

Bad cat!
    I looked those up (Capitol Bicycle Company) and they look nice--appears they're still building their website though and I didn't see any geo numbers. Could possibly be arguing the chainstay on the 907 is a tad long? Maybe he has a frame design he's tweaked for a slackish head angle, shortish chain stay, dedicated 1x (like a fatter Krampus) which could indeed be fun, but my 907 rips nicely (especially Lefty-ized).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I switched to 3.8 Knards too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm thinking rabbit holes and a lefty also.
    I just don't know if it will be worth all the expense.

ouch....
    The lefty is worth the expense. No doubt in my mind. Awesome. The 907 is the best trail bike I've owned.
    Last edited by Shark; 07-06-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just wanted to say I have been super satisfied with my 907 170mm bike. It works great on trails. After spending some time on it, I am now almost through with a second 907 build. That one will have an alfine 11 and 907's slider rear dropout frame. This bike will be for commuting and riding with the family.
    I work at a shop and have had a great experience dealing with the owner of 907. He has been a great resource on fat bike info. Great company and great people.
    I also love the forum and this is my first posting.
    I wanted to say that we currently do not sell 907 at my store. We are a primarily road shop. I have been riding my fat bike more than anything else! It just makes you smile
    Last edited by mcnally78; 07-06-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spell check made some mistakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally78 View Post
    I wanted to say that we currently do not sell 907 at my store. We are a primarily road shop. I have been riding my fat bike more than anything else! It just makes you smile
    I trust that you display the fattie prominently in the store if you own the store?

turtles make me hot
    Someone shoulda told the guy I saw riding his 907 last Sunday morning. It was about 88 degrees.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I don't have a 9 ZERO 7, but I ride my Muk on single track and last time I was out, there was a guy on a Pugs as well. A friend and I ride our fat bikes out on the trail when we can. We are out there even if that guy thinks we aren't.

Biggest differences is you will have to find the right tire pressure so you don't bounce and the handling is different as it's like driving a school bus around corners.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    I looked those up (Capitol Bicycle Company) and they look nice--appears they're still building their website though and I didn't see any geo numbers.
    Wow they are local!!! Just a few miles from my office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast