Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

9:zero:7 Love

128K views 940 replies 92 participants last post by  NYrr496 
#1 ·
Hey gang,
I haven't post much in the past few years and have been checking in recently to do a little reading. Back in 2013 when I built up my 9:zero:7 McGrath, there weren't many bike choices and there was a huge shortage of inventory, parts, etc. At the time 9:zero:7, Salsa and Surly were big and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. now the market is flooded with fatbikes, prices have come down, and I don't see much writen about 9:zero:7 fat bikes. I love mine and enjoy every ride. anyone else still have love for their 9:zero:7?

Attachments

See less See more
#918 ·
Wow, just saw this thread. My oldest bike. Love her.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle frame

#899 ·
Far too long without any love... Whiteout has been sitting miserably in the corner of the garage all summer long with the other bikes getting the attention. With all the lockdowns in the UK, it's been a long time since I got back home to Scotland to ride. Alas, I couldn't ride with friends, but it was a fantastic day in the sunshine. Although busier than what it traditionally has been, there wasn't the crowds of people out there, once I got away from the Seaside towns:

All of a sudden GFBD snuck up on us and again we were denied of a ground ride, so I just stayed at home at Yorkshire and headed out for a local loop. As it was a special occasion, I took the Firebox stove with me and threw a steak on it. Mud, Mud, Glorious Mad, was the theme of the ride:

#911 ·
Been too long since we gave this thread some love!

I haven't ridden this bike recently, very few trips of late to Scotland as life has gotten in the way, and when at home, other bikes get grabbed first as my everyday riding location is suited to a gravel bike rather than a fat or plus bike.

Last time out I noted that my spoke nipples were corroding, so stripped and rebuilt the wheels over a couple evenings in the early part of the year as well as a general strip, clean, grease and rebuild for the main components as necessary... Then it was time, a couple of weeks back, as I was home alone with my Wife and kids away visiting her family, I took the opportunity to visit my family in Gods country and ride on the coast.

The first run along over the technical rocky sections, I could tell I had been away from it for a while and I felt clumsy, ping ponging off rocks that are never usually a problem, but the whiteout stood by me and patiently helped me get back into the swing. Second night, conquering one of our favourite sections of rocky beach with zero dab's (named 'Scorpion' due to an old pipe that runs across it, an obstacle to overcome right at the end as a 'sting in the tail') I was back to not having to think about what the bike was going to do, every component doing its job and working flawlessly together as I wafted along and over the challenges that the coastline had to offer. Giggling like a school boy, basking in the make believe glory, I was only missing my usual riding buddies to poke fun at when the usual excuses fly along said challenge. It was a great couple of rides on an old friend.

Every time I get on this bike and ride, it disappears beneath me, comfort, simplicity, reliability, lightweight. It has taken me on many rides, flawlessly, and made many memories. Long live the 9:zero:7 Whiteout, from what seems like a bygone era, when the glory days of Fatbikes was coming upon us, manufactured back in 2013.

A particularly low set of tides during this visit enabled me to get down to these rock formations, the furthest in the distance usually cut off by the sea. Snapped as the cruise liner went past!

#937 ·
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Just finished this leftover medium for my wife. Maybe she’ll join me on some beach rides.
I was cleaning the basement and realized I had almost an entire bike. I had to buy a rear hub and tire and I replaced the goofy 135 fork with a Wednesday fork.
I still have my black ano frame. I’m going to put that back in service. I really like these a lot.

#242 ·
I'll have another 907 build to show off soon. This one surprises even me...
My father just had a 95% blockage cleared from an artery and a stint installed. I went to see him after he got home. I had just built a Fatback for my brother and my dad asked about building him a bike. He's 69!
He ordered up a Large purple frame on Friday. I guess it'll show up on Monday. I'm very curious to see if he keeps it purple or decides to have it coated.
I also turned him on to the 65 dollar polished Darryls 907 is selling. I bet if he gets those, he gets the frame done black... Not really sure but I'm excited to see how this plays out.
He's WAY more likely to ride this bike on the beach or just around his neighborhood. That being said, I'm going to build it up 1x10 with a 28 Wolftooth up front, 11-36 cassette, X7 shifter and derailleur, blah blah...
Probably Big Fat Larrys. I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
I'll post pics as it happens.

#243 ·
I'll have another 907 build to show off soon. This one surprises even me...
My father just had a 95% blockage cleared from an artery and a stint installed. I went to see him after he got home. I had just built a Fatback for my brother and my dad asked about building him a bike. He's 69!
He ordered up a Large purple frame on Friday. I guess it'll show up on Monday. I'm very curious to see if he keeps it purple or decides to have it coated.
I also turned him on to the 65 dollar polished Darryls 907 is selling. I bet if he gets those, he gets the frame done black... Not really sure but I'm excited to see how this plays out.
. I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
I'll post pics as it happens.
Nice! The more Purple 9:Zero:7's the better!!

Right?

#294 · (Edited)
Have it dialed in pretty good after 3-4 shakedown rides this week, no major issues -> tubeless working well, brakes really quiet until I got the pads wet when rinsing off the mud, then they got loud & squeaky! Oh and I replaced the Shimano 10 spd chain pin with a SRAM Power Lock reusable master link after the pin failed due to improper install on my first ride:madman:. I hate those Shimano non-reusable pins anyway, have had too many issues with them in the past and they are not reusable.:confused:

I'm loving the purple people eater so far! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PPE at beaver pond

2 purple tails up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#742 · (Edited)
Orange [emoji521] Creamsicle 9:ZERO:7 XL Build - Stage 1 completed...current config is just under 29.5 lbs...reused several parts from the parts bin such as Hayes Hydros and everything is Aluminum except for new basic carbon bars...also Surly Mr Wirly 180mm crank is not very light[emoji23]but it allows for a 22-46 ultra low granny gear which will be interesting!! Not a lot of clearance on the rear JJ 4.8 Snakeskin in the lowest granny gear...but it's all good!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Reactions: -Todd-
#748 ·
Internally routed dropper post on Whiteout!

So I want to try a dropper and i don't have any problem w external routing. In fact i think internal routing is kind of overcomplicating a simple thing that works, i.e. cable guides.

The thing is the one i want and have is the Bike Yoke Revive which is only offered in internal routing. So if i'm going in then i thought might as well go all the way! Why pop out near the BB if i have to ziptie the rest of the way. So I routed down the seat tube, through the BB shell, up the down tube and out the top side of the down tube. It's still one hole on the exterior but is much higher and drier than exiting on the low side of seatube, plus i don't have to zip tie or use those stick on cable guides.

The ST and Down tube meet just above the BB shell so i took advantage of that space created by them just above the BB. There are two holes in the BB shell that align w each ST and DT. I very carefully cut a narrow slot between them. There was still a bit of material in the way from the ST so i ground it away just a bit to clear the cable housing.

the slot:
Purple Colorfulness Violet Magenta Lavender

a view w dental mirror:
Purple Violet Colorfulness Magenta Lavender

I drilled a couple holes at the top of the DT where I thought there would be the least stress:
Material property Gloss

Cut between the holes:

smoothed it out:

The cable routed quite easily from the top of the DT to the BB where i could get a hold of it, through the BB and then feed it up the seat tube.

idk why the pics are rotated at random:
Bicycle accessory Purple Iron Violet Bicycle part

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Purple Soil

The revive works great!

#753 ·
So I want to try a dropper and i don't have any problem w external routing. In fact i think internal routing is kind of overcomplicating a simple thing that works, i.e. cable guides.

The thing is the one i want and have is the Bike Yoke Revive which is only offered in internal routing. So if i'm going in then i thought might as well go all the way! Why pop out near the BB if i have to ziptie the rest of the way. So I routed down the seat tube, through the BB shell, up the down tube and out the top side of the down tube. It's still one hole on the exterior but is much higher and drier than exiting on the low side of seatube, plus i don't have to zip tie or use those stick on cable guides.

The ST and Down tube meet just above the BB shell so i took advantage of that space created by them just above the BB. There are two holes in the BB shell that align w each ST and DT. I very carefully cut a narrow slot between them. There was still a bit of material in the way from the ST so i ground it away just a bit to clear the cable housing.

the slot:
View attachment 1167195

a view w dental mirror:
View attachment 1167196

I drilled a couple holes at the top of the DT where I thought there would be the least stress:
View attachment 1167197

Cut between the holes:
View attachment 1167201

smoothed it out:
View attachment 1167203

The cable routed quite easily from the top of the DT to the BB where i could get a hold of it, through the BB and then feed it up the seat tube.

idk why the pics are rotated at random:
View attachment 1167206

View attachment 1167208

The revive works great!
Kirkerik- Nice work on the install and detailed write up!! How do you like using the dropper post?

#789 ·
I have been thinking about replacing my 9ZERO7 with the latest carbon, shorter chain stay, different angle this and that frame. i was thinking while riding along that what the hell is the point of that? I have this built just the way i want. This is a great bike and serves all my needs. Love it! Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Automotive tire

#848 · (Edited)
Far too long since a post on this thread....

Been 3 years since I got this bike and decided it was time for a refresh of a few bits.... this bike is nice, but I always felt it could have had a better wheelset. I took a wheel building course to help me remedy this, and during it, I built a set of nice wheels (BR710 rims, Sapim D-Light Spokes, Sapim Polyax nipples, DTSwiss 350 rear and Hope Pro 4 front hubs).

I fitted the standard DT Swiss rim strip after trimming 5mm off each side, then a layer of Sun Ringle 80mm tubeless tape, finally a wrap of 27mm tape on either bead, to ensure everything is sealed nicely. Fitted some orange valve stems and mounted my summer Jumbo Jims.

I also fitted new XT rotors to the hubs, a centre lock rear and 6 bolt up front, taking the opportunity to increase the rear to 180mm in the process.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle accessory

I noted that the chain was worn to 0.5% so replaced the sram XX1 chain for a KMC 11EL, after fitting due to the front chainring being worn to that chain, it was noisey as anything. Wolftooth 28t oval was ordered and fitted.

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle Crankset Bicycle chain

Finally, I took this time to bleed the brakes, amazing the colour of the old mineral oil that comes out..... now we are done and off to the races, with a planned trip to the motherland; the east coast of Scotland!

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

#2 ·
^I am still liking my 9:ZERO:7. Had a 2013 first which was great, then got the 2015 w/ the thru axles and 150mm fork an really like that. My buddy has a 2014 and liked it enough to get the 2015 Carbon. I like how the frames evolve w/ 9:ZERO:7, then they aren't just pimping new color schemes every year!

I don't know if I am too fond of the new GIANT freaking graphics on the team issue carbons though! I do hope to have their carbon fork soon though.

#3 ·
I'm still riding a 190/135 9Zero7 and I still love the bike.

I was going to order a new black ano tapered headset, thru axle bike so I emailed them and asked if they could sell me a black bike with black decals since red isn't my thing. They replied they do not have decals and don't even know how to remove the red ones.
I've already built new 29+ wheels and used a 150mm thru type hub in the front. Now I either have to re lace the wheel with a new hub or get the black and red frame. Not the end of the world, but ya know...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.