Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 9:zero:7 Love

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    My picture from a few weeks ago above managed to make front page news!!

https://fat-bike.com/2016/08/wallpap...ire%209:Zero:7
    Nice...

I just ordered a large frame for my 11 year old. He's right on the edge of looking funny on his medium.
    We spoke about it and he wants it to be the same green as my bike but he also wants orange on it.
    We settled on having the frame, fork and Rolling Darryls powder coated Granny Smith Apple and getting orange Hope hubs, spoke nipples and other assorted ano bits.
    I warned him that he had better really like this because once I have the rims coated and lace the wheels up, that's kinda it. I'll even want to do his XL frame green when he outgrows the L in a few years (or sooner).
    I'll post pics of the build as it happens.
    I like turtles

Thingamejigger
    11YO and he needs a large! The bike (or child) can be named the jolly green giant!

turtles make me hot
    11YO and he needs a large! The bike (or child) can be named the jolly green giant!
    Yep... He's currently on a medium and he has lots of seatpost showing. He rode my dad's large and he looked completely natural on it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Poppa's got a new set of shoes
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

turtles make me hot
    VERY Nice...
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    9:zero:7 Love-img_0169.jpg

My son's medium currently sporting 29+ wheels.
    I like turtles

Flying Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0169.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	1091071

My son's medium currently sporting 29+ wheels.

What wheelset is that?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    What wheelset is that?
    I laced them up myself. It's Velocity Duallys (45mm), the front hub is 907 135 with rear brake spacing, the rear hub is Bike Hub Store 190mm. I used Sapim Race spokes.
    He loves em. I have the same rims laced to Hope Pro4's on my bike.
    He's running WTB Rangers, I have Chupacabras.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Oh, did I say a new set of shoes?

I meant two.

turtles make me hot
    Nice!!
    I like turtles

A Surly Maverick

907 135mm Slider frame build.

A new (to me) Pre-loved 907 135mm rear axle, offset slider frame.

I have built this bike with the beach in mind.

Rigid, with Alfine 8 rear and extensive (and extended) mudguards.

Love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9:zero:7 Love-dscf5026.jpg  

A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post

Oh, did I say a new set of shoes?

I meant two.

That bike reminds me of the Gary Fisher Rig I once had. Might have to spring for that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    schnee is breaking every single rule of bike photography, but he can't make the purple bike look bad.....go figure.

mtbr member
    Wait what?

Hah. This should be good. What 'rules'?

turtles make me hot
    He critiqued my photo taking abilities earlier in the thread...
    I like turtles

sluice box
    Wait what?

who would have know?
    How to take great photos of your bike | CyclingTips
    ptarmigan hardcore

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Wait what?

What are rules??
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I mean, I took them both from the drive side, and I chose background colors that were explicitly complementary (purple-yellow), so I thought I was OK. I mean, these are mountain bikes. I though obsessive rules were for roadies.

I guess I blew it by not being in front of a white garage door? I should have taken them on the trail?

turtles make me hot
    I'm gonna fix these "rules". I need to find a model to pose with a fat bike a la Tommysee. That guy may have made crappy bikes but his beach pics were pretty creative.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    When I lived in Alaska there was an ice cream shop that made a great summer drink called the raspberry-lime rickey. I give you the RLR.

9:zero:7 Love-rlr1.jpg

9:zero:7 Love-rlr3.jpg

9:zero:7 Love-rlr2.jpg

mtbr member
    Two things.

One, you are TALL.

Two, when I see purple and green I think Jack Kirby. Hulk, Skrulls, Prowler, etcetera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The reach on most modern MTB are way too long for me. So I got the size that fits better cockpit wise, which leaves something to be desired in the seatpost and steerer tube. IF , and I am not convinced, I can get enough floatation from the 4.8" tires I'll order a Carver O'Beast but I am not going to waste money until I find there is some hope I won't get stuck every five feet in snow.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I'm gonna fix these "rules". I need to find a model to pose with a fat bike a la Tommysee. That guy may have made crappy bikes but his beach pics were pretty creative.
    The model left snail tracks on your bike! @.o
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_kelly View Post
    The reach on most modern MTB are way too long for me. So I got the size that fits better cockpit wise, which leaves something to be desired in the seatpost and steerer tube. IF , and I am not convinced, I can get enough floatation from the 4.8" tires I'll order a Carver O'Beast but I am not going to waste money until I find there is some hope I won't get stuck every five feet in snow.
    How much snow are we talking about here? Have you ever ridden in snow before? These bikes don't magically float over a foot of powder like Bikes Direct would lead you to believe. Once the snow gets deep, we all unite and snowshoe a trail.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    We have groomed Fat Bike trails here. Very nice but unlike most people, light people, I can't ride them. A packed snowshoe trail I can ride but I could probably do that on my normal mountain bike. My current 9zero7 135mm can only handle 4.6" tires and it just is not enough to ride the groomed trails. I sink into a stop every 20ft. If I climb and veer off the trail an inch I am stopped and pushing up the climb to get re-started. Just not fun. I am told that the extra width of a 197mm rear end makes all the difference. Well it was worth finding out with 9zero7's close-out of the purple people eaters. I know that the air increases exponentially but still can't believe it will make a difference. But will see soon!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    We have groomed Fat Bike trails here. Very nice but unlike most people, light people, I can't ride them. A packed snowshoe trail I can ride but I could probably do that on my normal mountain bike. My current 9zero7 135mm can only handle 4.6" tires and it just is not enough to ride the groomed trails. I sink into a stop every 20ft. If I climb and veer off the trail an inch I am stopped and pushing up the climb to get re-started. Just not fun. I am told that the extra width of a 197mm rear end makes all the difference. Well it was worth finding out with 9zero7's close-out of the purple people eaters. I know that the air increases exponentially but still can't believe it will make a difference. But will see soon!
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    The model left snail tracks on your bike! @.o
    That's because her legs weren't long enough.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Think we need to dig another layer...
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    I yoyo between 235 and 265. I had a 190/135 907 and now a 197/150 907. I rode both bikes on packed trails on Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. I made all the climbs and probably on a good day never put a foot down.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    What tires? What pressure? Rider weight? Environmental conditions?

I'm the opposite of Nyrr, I see food and it disappears and nothing happens till the next day... Weight of 160-165 and beer does nothing, it's a wives tale that it causes weight gain. :/ Tire size and low pressure to get some squish to make a larger foot print makes a day and night difference. Mushy snow due to warm temps can wreck a ride too. Ive been grooming 200 miles of trails for 20 years and the trails work up nicely.
    With mid winter conditions there will be no rut left by a fatbike on the groomed trail. It's almost like firm dirt. With a 4.6 @ low psi you should be able to ride a properly groomed trail, lest it's ghetto groomed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Obviously a lot of it comes down to what you weigh... but a few points...

if just about anyone strays off a packed trail... they're going to sink in... hold your line. I went over the bars a couple times when i strayed from the packed trail...oops haha

if you're riding fat on the snow and sinking in... just keep lowering air pressure. I rode 4.0's at 180 lbs last year and when the trails were soft i aired down till my sidewalls were crinkling like a funny car tire... it looked like i was riding a flat tire but i never pinch flatted and i was able to ride trails that had been groomed by snowmobiles.

and someone pour me a raspberry-lime rickey that sounds delicious

Elitest thrill junkie
    Fresh powder groomed once-over can still be impossible to ride. It needs to settle or get more weight on it usually. You can still sink down in the stuff 6-12" easily and it's like trying to ride through mashed potatoes.

There can be a huge difference between "packed" and "groomed".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The 907 is a great bike, the Whiteout aluminum is every bit as capable as a Moonlander while also being stiffer and lighter, but it's definitely been surpassed in tire capacity by a few other brands.

If you're that heavy (like me, I'm 255+), and really want to push your limits, then maybe a Blackborow or Pole, with Vee Snowshoe 2xls is in order?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

... and if we just ...

The 907 is a great bike, the Whiteout aluminum is every bit as capable as a Moonlander while also being stiffer and lighter, but it's definitely been surpassed in tire capacity by a few other brands.

If you're that heavy (like me, I'm 255+), and really want to push your limits, then maybe a Blackborow or Pole, with Vee Snowshoe 2xls is in order?
    I am 260 and 6'2". Our trails are groomed but not packed hard at all. I have not tried "till my sidewalls were crinkling like a funny car tires". Other people seem to be able to ride normally but not me. I can ride the snowshoe packed trails just fine and I really prefer riding winding single track. But there is not much of it compared to the groomed trails. Well there is a lot more volume to the 4.8" over the 4.6" even tho there is only a 1/4" difference so I'll see. I'll try lowering the air pressure to the crinkling point I have 100mm rims and I bought a XXL for the front but destroyed it trying to get it on. The Maxxis Collossus worked fine but the Vee would not get over the rim walls. If this experiment is positive I'll get a Carver O'Beast mega which will handle 5" tires but I don't want to waste money on a custom until I know it might work. Most modern bikes have way too long a cockpit for me.

I hope this will work. I need to move in the winter and I really don't like skiing.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No love.

Whoever installed the headset didn't shim it so the top cover rubbed on the bearing cup. Fixed using those alloy wafers from cassette lockrings, 5 of them.
    Got a Borealis wheelset, front hub's 15mm, fork's qr. Bought an adaptor from CRC, paid for express, delayed twice, not redirected. Finally get it, but the adaptor's 100mm wide, not 135 of course. My fault, no width mentioned on website. Realized that the fork is rear-hub-spaced anyways, so could not have used that front hub= new wheel build. Rear QR also from CRC. Wrong length was sent. May be for 170mm, but no threads outside the frame for the locknut on my 190. Haven't heard from them about that one. Tried Michelin ultralight tubes, blew them up. New Veerubber tubes. Then my 4.7 Bulldozer tire blew off the rim, turns out the kevlar bead had frayed and finally snapped. Lose my shtick, bought a pair of Ground Controls.

Never had this much trouble just getting a bike on its wheels. Nothing that I bought specifically for this build worked out the first time.
    Hate this bike right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9:zero:7 Love-im20160917.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

turtles make me hot
    CRC doesn't strike me as fat bike friendly. You're better off with 907, Salsa, Surly, Hope,a local bike shop that knows fat bikes...
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    No love.

Never had this much trouble just getting a bike on its wheels. Nothing that I bought specifically for this build worked out the first time.
    I think that this is a problem with an industry out of control. No standards and poor documentation. Don't think it is unique to "this bike".

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    No love.

Whoever installed the headset didn't shim it so the top cover rubbed on the bearing cup. Fixed using those alloy wafers from cassette lockrings, 5 of them.
    Got a Borealis wheelset, front hub's 15mm, fork's qr. Bought an adaptor from CRC, paid for express, delayed twice, not redirected. Finally get it, but the adaptor's 100mm wide, not 135 of course. My fault, no width mentioned on website. Realized that the fork is rear-hub-spaced anyways, so could not have used that front hub= new wheel build. Rear QR also from CRC. Wrong length was sent. May be for 170mm, but no threads outside the frame for the locknut on my 190. Haven't heard from them about that one. Tried Michelin ultralight tubes, blew them up. New Veerubber tubes. Then my 4.7 Bulldozer tire blew off the rim, turns out the kevlar bead had frayed and finally snapped. Lose my shtick, bought a pair of Ground Controls.

These require careful research as to compatible components, unfortunately. There are 7500 axle lengths these days which is ludicrous. The other thing is with a QR skewer, if no length is mentioned, it's 100/135, most likely. Make sure that what you are looking at states it's specific size/ length. It can be a whore of a bytch to get things together without knowing specs of what you have. As for the tire, well, that's a manufacturing defect.

907 answers can be found at Fatbikes.com home of the 9:ZERO:7 fat bike and fat bike accessories They are glad to help peeps find the info and bits that are compatible with the various model years of the 907's.

Bottom line is that we all have to do our due diligence in selecting parts for a fatty cause they are all "wildcat" bikes.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    907's web sites are terrible when it comes to information.

I can't count the number of things that I needed to research from other locations or contact them directly about.

I mean, look here and see what's missing:

- No reach measurement?
    - No wheelbase measurement?
    - What rotor sizes are supported on the frame and fork?
    - Is the bottom bracket threaded or press fit?
    - What travel of suspension fork is supported?

There's probably more, but yeah...they could definitely add more useful detail and drop the stupid 'Cirque de Soleil dancer' bull-honky.

Norπwegr
    Anyone know what height range the xs is for?

907's web sites are terrible when it comes to information.
    Indeed, the site is lacking when it comes to info.

Thingamejigger

Name:	RLR2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1093414
    Nice looking machine.... question, is the front tyre on the wrong way around??

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Nice looking machine.... question, is the front tyre on the wrong way around??
    I'll check, my eyes don't see those little tiny arrows too well these days.

I think there are so many people in the US that just go to a dealer and buy whatever they suggest that the manufacturers have gotten away with not describing their products at all except for marketing fluff. You can't have unhappy customers if you never promised anything about the bike, eh?

So it can be a real problem trying to figure out what someone is selling for aftermarket people like us. Not to mention understanding the mine field of proprietary systems.

I am old enough to remember a day, for road bikes, where for decades the major manufacturers all made compatible parts. For this retro-grouch I would choose value and compatibility over the truely minor improvements every company claims to justify another proprietary part.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I'll check, my eyes don't see those little tiny arrows too well these days.

I think there are so many people in the US that just go to a dealer and buy whatever they suggest that the manufacturers have gotten away with not describing their products at all except for marketing fluff. You can't have unhappy customers if you never promised anything about the bike, eh?

So it can be a real problem trying to figure out what someone is selling for aftermarket people like us. Not to mention understanding the mine field of proprietary systems.

I am old enough to remember a day, for road bikes, where for decades the major manufacturers all made compatible parts. For this retro-grouch I would choose value and compatibility over the truely minor improvements every company claims to justify another proprietary part.

There's a lotta truth in that statement! Many fatbikers are tinkerers (Hmm, is that a word?) that are very picky about parts and pieces.
    Seeing through the hype can be daunting tho'.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bike Packing Mode

I did 584 miles in the Adirondacks setup like this. Fat tires not technically needed, the Knards roll well enough. I'd build up a 29+ wheelset next time.

grand depart... 9.11.15 | The Adirondack Trail Ride

9:zero:7 Love-img_3104.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 907 White out and I need some help. I am not much of a bike mechanic. Could someone confirm the proper cranks to buy? I want to buy Race Face Next SL's. I think I need to buy the 170/ 190mm size. Just need confirmation before I buy the wrong crank. Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Which 170/190mm size you have?

Thingamejigger
    Can somebody post a pic from their weekend ride please, this thread is too cool to be at the bottom of the board!

Thingamejigger
    Ok ok, I'll go first....

So, I was out last weekend with a couple of friends for a little 35 miler around East Lothian. We started off in the afternoon along the beach from Gullane to North Berwick, then after ice cream and pizza we headed inland for the next few hours arriving back to Gullane in the Dark at 2230. Only got a couple of shots as we were too busy shootin' the breeze.

Smurfy climbin' off the beach:

9:zero:7 Love-29411780944_50513061dd_c.jpg

My Whiteout with its new exposure TraceR rear light (to complete the set):

9:zero:7 Love-30039807905_1f056a80da_c.jpg

turtles make me hot
    There's pizza in Scotland? I woulda thought you guys all snacked on haggis.

jk... Cool pics.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Check out the new 9:zero:7 Tundra, 17mm shorter chain stays, 20mm shorter head tube, looks to be a winner.
    907bikes

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Can somebody post a pic from their weekend ride please, this thread is too cool to be at the bottom of the board!
    I can't until my 907 is back online.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiboy View Post
    Check out the new 9:zero:7 Tundra, 17mm shorter chain stays, 20mm shorter head tube, looks to be a winner.
    907bikes
    I thought a Tundra was a Toyota..
    Doctor recommended...

Thingamejigger
    There's pizza in Scotland? I woulda thought you guys all snacked on haggis.
    You mean to tell me, you have never tried Haggis Pizza?

Thingamejigger
    20mm shorter head tube
    Not sure I approve...

and the tundra sticker need to be about 5points smaller....

turtles make me hot
    You mean to tell me, you have never tried Haggis Pizza?
    I have not... and I live in NY which I assume is the pizza capital of the world. May have to go to Scotland for that one. My ancestors left in 1502 and no one ever ventured back.
    I like turtles

bigger than you.
    907bikes
    They might actually get me to buy another one. Nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    They might actually get me to buy another one. Nice.
    Dropper seat post cable routing too.

turtles make me hot
    See?? I KNEW they were going to change it up when they were selling the Whiteout frames so cheap.
    ok... I'll upgrade when my son needs an XL. He can have mine and I'll grab a Tundra.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Snowshoe 2XL XXL

Whiteout 197 AL and the Snowshoe 2XL. I'm stubborn and wanted to see for myself. Nope doesn't fit in the rear but look how much bigger it is than the Maxxis Colossus 4.8.

Snowshoe 2XL
    9:zero:7 Love-img_1097.jpg9:zero:7 Love-img_1099.jpg
    9:zero:7 Love-img_1092.jpg

Maxxis Colossus 4.8

9:zero:7 Love-img_1108.jpg
    9:zero:7 Love-img_1109.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Ready for snow!

Looks like a 96er with the Snowshoe 2XL up front.

9:zero:7 Love-img_1112.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks like a 96er with the Snowshoe 2XL up front.

Name:	IMG_1112.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	1104878
    Looks good! How is the clearance on the front fork? I'm running 4.8 JJs on the same frame/fork combo. Are you planning on running the 2XL in snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ====================
    GBM, Pugley & 9:ZERO:7
    Surly Ogre Rigid 29er - RAGBRAI 2013
    TREK Alum Hardtail 29er - Recon Fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Plenty of room on the front fork, which is too bad it doesn't clear on the back because it would be an awesome combo. Yes, snow due next Sat. It is close on the back. Plenty of room on the sidewalls but the knobs hit on the top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode a few fat bikes today while I was at the shop bleeding my mtb rear brake. I rode the Cannondale Fat Cadd, the Norco Ithiqua and the Whiteout in Al and Carbon. I was in no way interested in a new fat bike as I have been happy with my Moonlander. The Cannondale was nice with the lefty, the Norco was nice as well, but the 907's were mind blowingly good. I think I may buy a frame set and some hubs and convert the other parts over. Now to decide of Aluminum or carbon. Thinking I will probably do the aluminum because I just LOVE the ball burnished color.

mtbr member
    Did you ride the Tundra?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Did you ride the Tundra?
    No, the shops order of them won't come until next week. My fat bikes are for winter only so I think I'd prefer the Whiteout anyhow, especially coming off a Moonlander. I'll think about it though.

mtbr member
    Too big to bunny hop?

9:zero:7 Love-img_3343.jpg

====================

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I made a deal with my lbs on a burnished Whiteout frame and a set of 907 hubs. I'm going to use the clown shoes off my moonlander and build the wheels up. I am going to use the moonlander parts , the spare Thomson masterpiece seat post I have in my parts bin and I may use my spare set of carbon bars that I have on it also. I'm not sure if I'll use the bb7's from the surly, or if I'll use the Deore hydraulics I have. I'll build it 2x10 using the surly OD cranks and I just happen to have an xt 11-36 cassette that I could use with it.. I think it'll make a nice bike and I'm excited about it.

turtles make me hot
    Snopro440, how big a boy are you? I wrecked a 907 rear hub.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I weigh 190

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    I weigh 190
    My 170 pound friend is going on three years on his with the original freehub and bearings. You'll probably do fine. I weigh about 260. I ruined the ratchet ring in about 9 months. Switched to Hope and have been fine since.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is the fork on the aluminum Whiteout 135 or 150 mm? They have the hubs coming, I'm just wondering what spacing it uses. Thanks!!

turtles make me hot
    The Whiteout uses 150.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Anyone know how long of a steerer tube the medium requires? I'm contemplating getting a medium 2016 frame and trying to transfer my Bluto and components over from my small Sturgis. The Sturgis lists the HT as 110mm and 907 as 135mm so it looks like it would need a steerer 1" longer. I'm newish to the bike game so maybe I'm missing something.

Thingamejigger
    ^^^^ Too big to bunny hop? Try a straw bail for size!?

9:zero:7 Love-30984397835_201650cf10_c.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Too big to bunny hop? Try a straw bail for size!?
    Like that shot of the straw bail...first dusting of the season today...

9:zero:7 Love-img_3432.jpg

====================

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Edited as requested
    Last edited by jonshonda; 01-26-2017 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Just an FYI: Carbon 907 frames will NOT accept 4.8" tires on 100mm tires...despite their claims that that combo works.
    9:zero:7 Love-lou3.jpg9:zero:7 Love-lou2.jpg9:zero:7 Love-lou1.jpg
    Actually, yeah, they do work. That's mine. Google around and you'll find more.

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar78i View Post
    Actually, yeah, they do work.
    Do they not rub when you ride? I have heard a few say that they fit, but rub therefore have clearance issues. Wonder if there is a difference in clearance across frame batches?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Do they not rub when you ride? I have heard a few say that they fit, but rub therefore have clearance issues. Wonder if there is a difference in clearance across frame batches?
    Haven't rubbed at all so far. To be fair, I've only ridden them for about a week so far - it's a lot of work and is only needed when the snow is super deep and un-packed. I'll let you guys know after I've ridden them for a while.

mtbr member
    It might be a 'three months down the road after the tubeless tires stretch out' thing.

It might also just be a Clyde thing. Are you a 'man of substance'?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

9:Zero:7 Carbon Whiteout, 9:Zero:7 carbon 100mm rims, Dillinger D5 studded, 3-5psi

Last year I've ridden my 9:Zero:7 hundreds of snow covered miles with no tire/frame rubbing whatsoever. During non-snow months the wheels are stored at 15psi. This year still no tire/frame rubbing with the same tires. See more images by searching on my log-on name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9:zero:7 Love-img_1461.gif  

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    So. Much. Fun! Built up a clearance purple Whiteout frameset. Pic from the maiden voyage.

9:zero:7 Love-file-1.jpeg

4.8 LS JJs on 80mm Mulefuts, tubeless
    X01 with 28/42 low
    bell with fake compass
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Edited as requested
    Last edited by jonshonda; 01-26-2017 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Edited as requested
    Last edited by jonshonda; 01-26-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat&SkinnyCO View Post
    Last year I've ridden my 9:Zero:7 hundreds of snow covered miles with no tire/frame rubbing whatsoever.
    As by Jon, D5's aren't a problem, 114mm, Lou on the other hand is 121mm in width.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The big question for 2016 is "will the Tundra fit the 2XL??"

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Maybe put a few hundred miles on before you cast your vote? I ride w/ a good friend who has been dealing w/ 907 for a while now trying to resolve the rubbing issues. He even sent the frame to them and their suggestion is to quote "not ride tubeless". He is riding lou tubed w/ CS and still getting slight rubbing during oos climbs, but he is a good sized fella who can put power down.
    My name is Will Ross and I am the Product Manager at 9:ZERO:7 Bikes. I am sorry your buddy is having these issues, but our frames do in fact fit Surly Bud and Lou tires on Clownshoe Rims. When we designed the 9:ZERO:7 Whiteout Carbon frame, we actually sent our manufacturer that exact tire and rim setup to ensure they would work with each other. Many 9:ZERO:7 employees as well as 9:ZERO:7 Dealer employees have run this exact setup with zero issues. I personally rode with this exact setup hundreds of miles last winter as I was training for some ultra endurance races.

We have done our best to be helpful to this customer and have been working closely with him to reach a solution. We provided him with a replacement tire at no charge and had a mechanic of one of our dealers take a look at his bike/wheel/tire setup. The customer was running the tires using split tube tubeless, which affects how the tire interacts with the rim because it adds too much material around the bead, altering the tire shape. Neither that rim nor that tire are tubeless compatible. Using tire sealant in many brands of tires that aren’t tubeless compatible not only voids the warranty, but it also can cause delamination of the plies of rubber and can deform the tire shape. The customer claims to have ridden the tire as low as 2 psi, which ripples the sidewall of the tire, leading to excessive wear and stretching of the tire. In my opinion, these are the factors that are contributing to the tire rubbing the frame.

I would recommend using the tires and rims as they are intended to be used. If tubeless is a necessity, then tires designed to be set up tubeless would be the best choice.

turtles make me hot
    I'll be doing another build shortly. It's supposed to rain Saturday so I'll drop my son's purple frame and fork off at the powder coater along with the white Rolling Darryls I picked up for him. He wants all these parts Granny Smith Apple green like my bike.
    The hubs, nipples, seatpost collar and other assorted parts are going to be orange ano.
    I'll post pics here as it happens.
    I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by 9:ZERO:7 Bikes View Post
    My name is Will Ross and I am the Product Manager at 9:ZERO:7 Bikes. I am sorry your buddy is having these issues, but our frames do in fact fit Surly Bud and Lou tires on Clownshoe Rims. When we designed the 9:ZERO:7 Whiteout Carbon frame, we actually sent our manufacturer that exact tire and rim setup to ensure they would work with each other. Many 9:ZERO:7 employees as well as 9:ZERO:7 Dealer employees have run this exact setup with zero issues. I personally rode with this exact setup hundreds of miles last winter as I was training for some ultra endurance races.

We have done our best to be helpful to this customer and have been working closely with him to reach a solution. We provided him with a replacement tire at no charge and had a mechanic of one of our dealers take a look at his bike/wheel/tire setup. The customer was running the tires using split tube tubeless, which affects how the tire interacts with the rim because it adds too much material around the bead, altering the tire shape. Neither that rim nor that tire are tubeless compatible. Using tire sealant in many brands of tires that aren’t tubeless compatible not only voids the warranty, but it also can cause delamination of the plies of rubber and can deform the tire shape. The customer claims to have ridden the tire as low as 2 psi, which ripples the sidewall of the tire, leading to excessive wear and stretching of the tire. In my opinion, these are the factors that are contributing to the tire rubbing the frame.

I would recommend using the tires and rims as they are intended to be used. If tubeless is a necessity, then tires designed to be set up tubeless would be the best choice.
    Are you really from 9zero7? Wow, this is really disappointing and complete load of crock.
    1) Split tube changing the shape of a tire, due to the extra material around the bead? How so? Maybe microscopically, but anything of significance?

2) Meager difference in width between tubed and tubeless causes rubbing? I've got news for you--if this is truly the case, your frames don't fit 4.8" tires.

3) 2 psi in snow tires is what I've regularly run in snow. Sometimes lower!! Statements like this heavily discredits your company as a legitimate fat bike manufacturer.

4) Plenty of people, myself included, have used Clownshoe rims and Lou and other Surly tires with no issues.

Guess I won't be buying a 907 anytime soon...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

9:Zero:7 Love

Remember the title of this tread...

My experience with the 9:Zero:7 product and customer service has been excellent. Carbon whiteout with their 100mm carbon rims (D5's tubeless) with their hubs. They also built a set of 29 x 45mm wheels that I use in the Summer. These pictures don't capture the big smile on my face!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9:zero:7 Love-img_1482a.jpg  

9:zero:7 Love-r-29-plus-1.jpg  

9:zero:7 Love-img_1562a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I had a great ride today on my 2013 9:zero:7 McGrath build. I love this bike and smile every ride . We have had a decent week of snow and I'm taking advantage is great conditions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9:zero:7 Love-image.jpg  

9:zero:7 Love-image.jpg  

Risingson
    Apr 2012
    1st ride of the season, love my 907! Customer service have always been outstanding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9:zero:7 Love-img_1039.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    We are expecting up to 10 inches of snow today through tomorrow, which is awesome to get the 9:Zero:7 out. Problem is, high air temp will be -5f, low of -22f air temps tomorrow.. I will be inside playing with my daughter..

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    We are expecting up to 10 inches of snow today through tomorrow, which is awesome to get the 9:Zero:7 out. Problem is, high air temp will be -5f, low of -22f air temps tomorrow.. I will be inside playing with my daughter..
    Same kinda deal here. It's like 18 degrees here currently. Supposed to start snowing tonight and then it's going to go into the 40's tomorrow and rain all weekend. Freaks me out when I can't ride bikes on weekends.
    At least my son and I have Star Wars tickets for Saturday.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 12-23-2016 at 09:27 PM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Edited as requested
    Last edited by jonshonda; 01-26-2017 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just a follow up. The purple people eater 197 with the XXL up front and the Colossus back does much better for me than the old 907 135 with 4.6" bulldozers. I have been riding more than any other winter. But I can see that, for me, the Snowshoe XXL makes a big difference. So I am going to have Davis Carver make a Mega O'Beast that will support XXL front and rear.
    Back to riding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Xmas eve day ride...

9:zero:7 Love-img_2336.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the mounts are for on the Tundra top tube?
    Last edited by Gear Grinder; 01-01-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Question

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    New year, new bike.

mtbr member

My long awaited first wheel build will be on this 907!

So last year i picked up a purple deal frame but never had the chance to build it up. I have been collecting parts here and there. I was hoping to have it built before this fall but closing in on my addition was the priority. Ugh!

Well, now is the time to finnally get it all together! I'm just waiting on a seatpost, spokes and nipples. I think that's all i need.

Here is what i have so far:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast