Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 9:zero:7 Love

mtbr member
    From the XXL Thread:

Yep, 5.65 on the 103 at 20psi. 5.45 at 3psi. Quickly measured to approx 5.30 at around 10psi on a Sarma 80mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Volks, the 190/197's are noted to fit 4.8" very well. Screw the attic, build up your bike in the living room, whatcha waitin for???

82's were a good choice for in between. Makes a more comfortable fit for 4.0 and works well with 4.8. I run my tires at 8 PSI max and as low as 1.5 in the snow.
    Thanks on the 82's recommendation!

No worries, it all comes down to having enough parts my friend....once the parts amass a certain number, there is no stopping the flow and that's precisely when the the build comes out of hiding!!! Right now just try to delay the inevitable 'discussion' until I can actually build and ride the 907...you can laugh if you want to, but it worked on recent a BWM K75 acquisition that I hid in the barn for 18 months until and she eventually discovered it this past spring... That one may have left a mark...a wound rather, but I fortunately I heal quickly...

Peaceout

-VB
    ====================
    GBM, Pugley & 9:ZERO:7
    Surly Ogre Rigid 29er - RAGBRAI 2013
    TREK Alum Hardtail 29er - Recon Fork

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Cat fight!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Volks, the 190/197's are noted to fit 4.8" very well. Screw the attic, build up your bike in the living room, whatcha waitin for???

82's were a good choice for in between. Makes a more comfortable fit for 4.0 and works well with 4.8. I run my tires at 8 PSI max and as low as 1.5 in the snow.
    Definately build in the living room, just want to know if that monster XXL will fit in the back. Prob not considering it's 32" diameter...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    There's good clearance for 4.8, but 5.05 isn't likely. Someone else stated that 5.05 would make it in the fork but not the rear. RSD Mayor fits the 5.05's on 80's but not 100's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I built up a second hand 170/135 yellow frame as a spare bike and so the family can join in with the fatbike action, the wife loves it and the kids are just, only just big enough to ride it. I scored some green rims for it and bought a Salsa Enabler fork for it, updated it with some nukeproof parts too.

Cheers
    Adrian

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree with others regarding the 80 vs 100mm rims. 80's give you the ability to run 3.8-4.8"(or larger?) tires, vs 3.8" on 100mm rims is not idea imho.

If possible I would suggest a Mulefut or DTSwiss wheel over RD, as they setup tubeless much better and are overall better quality. There is nothing wrong with Darryl, but if the choice presents itself I wouldn't choose RD.

turtles make me hot
    I've had a 190 and a 197mm frame. Clownshoes and Bud and Lou fit in both of them.
    Snowshoe XXL doesn't fit in any of the current 9Zero7 frames.
    I've ridden my fat bikes on Clownshoes for the first two years. I'm building my black ano 190mm frame as a dedicated beach steed and that one's going to get the Clownshoes and Big Fat Larrys. Turns out, Clownshoes are overkill for trail riding.
    The green 197 bike will get Other Brother Darrys with Bud and 4.8 Knard. Lou for snow.
    Green bike is currently running 29+... Chupacabras on Velocity Duallys.
    These bikes are awesome in the versatility department.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Yes the Other Brother Daryls are tubeless compatible, though i can't speak from experience.

I have been thinking 80mm rims but now considering the 65mm. Will a 4.8 perform well set up tubeless at low pressures on a 65mm rim? I weigh ~150lb.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    As long as it doesn't unseat from lateral forces, 65's will work peachy.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    As long as it doesn't unseat from lateral forces, 65's will work peachy.
    I have been running RD's tubeless on my Pugs Ops with no Issues...
    ====================

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by volksbike View Post
    I have been running RD's tubeless on my Pugs Ops with no Issues...
    Same with my 9:Zero:7, I've been fortunate, altho, I'm a 160# beanpole. The benefit is 8 PSI max I'll evuh run.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardly_stuntworthy View Post
    I built up a second hand 170/135 yellow frame as a spare bike and so the family can join in with the fatbike action, the wife loves it and the kids are just, only just big enough to ride it. I scored some green rims for it and bought a Salsa Enabler fork for it, updated it with some nukeproof parts too.

Cheers
    Adrian

LOVE this photo!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New 29x3 Wheelset

Carbon Whiteout with summer wheels:
    - 29x3 Maxxis Chronicles, tubeless
    - Easton Arc 45 rims
    - 9:zero:7 hubs

9:zero:7 Love-l-29-plus.jpg

9:zero:7 Love-r-29-plus-1.jpg

Living the thug life.
    9:zero:7 Love-2016-05-06-00.19.36.jpg

Turned my winter Carbon Whiteout into my summer Carbon 'Hit It'. This thing shreds on the dirt.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Has anyone successfully tried running 27.5. with 4.0 tires on a 907?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ====================

turtles make me hot
    Has anyone successfully tried running 27.5. with 4.0 tires on a 907?

I did not run them but I trial fitted a set on mine. There was a set waiting to be picked up at the shop and I tried the rear one in my 190 QR frame. Fit fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I did not run them but I trial fitted a set on mine. There was a set waiting to be picked up at the shop and I tried the rear one in my 190 QR frame. Fit fine.
    Cool just wondering about the frame geometry if it is built/designed for it? I do see others running 29+ x 3.0....Thanks!
    ====================

turtles make me hot
    Cool just wondering about the frame geometry if it is built/designed for it? I do see others running 29+ x 3.0....Thanks!
    Yep. Mine is 29+ at the moment. Bud on a Clownshoe is actually taller than 29+.
    I like turtles

Living the thug life.
    The 27.5"x 4" tires fit fine in the 907's. My wife's bike is an XS purple alloy, set up with those tires. Granted, it is on 50mm rims, but has tons of room to spare. The 27.5" tire run a lower profile rubber, so they end up not being any taller than a bud or lou.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Purple Love

Oh yeah!! I got it together and now have some 9:Zero:7 purple love coming my way!

9:zero:7 Love-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    Oh yeah!! I got it together and now have some 9:Zero:7 purple love coming my way!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	1069700
    Nice call!!!
    ====================

Thingamejigger
    Whiteout by the seaside.... can't beat it!

9:zero:7 Love-26868580601_3636f8db4a_c.jpg

Thingamejigger
    Whiteout in the hills.... 532 meters higher than the earlier shot!

9:zero:7 Love-26636577250_3f9fac4628_c.jpg

turtles make me hot
    9:zero:7 Love-hempstead-20150502-00500.jpg9:zero:7 Love-oyster-bay-20150503-00502.jpg

I forgot to post pics of my son's Medium bike. It's 2x10 on Marge Lites and HuskerDus. He loves it.
    He's been bugging me for 29+ wheels. Just got all the parts. Just have to get him some tires.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    F&SCO and Flying Scotsman - Nice steeds!
    Since there has been some talk of wheel/tire fitment... Have either of you (or anyone else for that matter) ever run CS+Lou for a rear wheel? The reason I ask is that for some reason, I can't on my carbon Whiteout. There is such minimal clearance that in the snow the tire buzzes the chainstays with hard pedaling and cornering on firm snow, and of course is even worse (un-ridable) on dirt. I swapped with a friend for his carbon 90mm with 4.8 Knard and it rubbed as well. I'm bummed since this frame was said to accept 5 inch tires and that was why I got it. My aluminum 907 with 190 QR rear did fine with a CS+Lou. I also had the wheel trued, so that shouldn't be an issue, pressure was a max of 10. Usually 2-4 in the snow.
    Here's a pic of Kermit.
    9:zero:7 Love-photo-16.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fat&SkinnyCO View Post
    Carbon Whiteout with summer wheels:
    - 29x3 Maxxis Chronicles, tubeless
    - Easton Arc 45 rims
    - 9:zero:7 hubs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R 29 plus 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	1068013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Photo from the weekend riding at Forth Fat.... 80 bikes in South East Scotland. The Island in the background is Treasure Island (proper name is Fidra)

Attachment 1066813

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Have either of you (or anyone else for that matter) ever run CS+Lou for a rear wheel?
    My Dillinger 5 on Rolling Darryl (107mm) has buzzed the frame before (I have helitaped the inside of the stays and forks for this reason. Your Lou / CS is 119mm.... too tight as you have found out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My Dillinger 5 on Rolling Darryl (107mm) has buzzed the frame before (I have helitaped the inside of the stays and forks for this reason. Your Lou / CS is 119mm.... too tight as you have found out.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I heli-taped also, and it turns out the knobs buzz through that pretty effortlessly - and through the paint as well... I can see shiny black carbon.

mtbr member

Special Delivery!

Love to see these great bikes! Keep 'em coming...

Definitely psyched now as I just received a special delivery!
    9:zero:7 Love-image.jpg

I am blown away as to how sweet this frame is. It looks nice in the pics but in person, the details like the hydro forming really shine!

Pleased w/ the color too. More like a plum color but edging towards purple in the full sun.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Congratz on your new friend, Kirkerik! You'll enjoy a fun ride with that rig. The ride quality is quite nice.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Congratz on your new friend, Kirkerik! You'll enjoy a fun ride with that rig. The ride quality is quite nice.
    Thanks BansheeRune, i have to wonder what's in store for my FS or my CX or even my HT 26'r!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I heli-taped also, and it turns out the knobs buzz through that pretty effortlessly - and through the paint as well... I can see shiny black carbon.
    Ouch! I feel your pain!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The novelty will mellow with time! Meanwhile, enjoy the bouncy fata$$ tires, cause they are sooo fun to play with. There will be places where you'll wanna let some air out of em and then you'll wanna pump em up again so a good pump is essential. I do the same with my B+ cause it works very well.
    You're in for a pleasant surprise on your first few rides. Gonna be really fun.

Post build pix and ride pix once it's ready to get dirty!
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Thanks BansheeRune, i have to wonder what's in store for my FS or my CX or even my HT 26'r!
    My FS 29er sits unridden. I may bust it out for one specific trail but it's days are certainly numbered. I've got my sights set on FS 29+.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Getting parts ready for the PPE build...

Parts for the Purple People Eater are trickling in- Rootbeer RD's w/DT Swiss hubs (not tubeless yet) wheels running Jumbo Jims built by Mike C. in Colorado, 1x NW GX crank from California, gears, chain & shifter from the UK and cheap Shimano hydraulic brakes from China (still on the slow boat?) and of course the purple monster XL frame from Alaska!!!

This pic shows the Jumbo Jim 4.8 on 82mm root beer RDs next to my stock pugs ops Nate 3.8s on RD...and Mr. Wiggles snout in the bottom left corner... BTW- he does not like the wheels blocking the path to his food bowl...oops!

Last edited by volksbike; 05-19-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Nice! Looks like you like the RD's! I like the color options on the Surly rims.

Have you tried them tubeless and if so, how'd it go?

I have already rcvd a GX crankset but it might be a while before i can get the rims/wheels going. Exploring options... where did you score the wheels? Mike C?

mtbr member
    Nice! Looks like you like the RD's! I like the color options on the Surly rims.

Have you tried them tubeless and if so, how'd it go?

I have already rcvd a GX crankset but it might be a while before i can get the rims/wheels going. Exploring options... where did you score the wheels? Mike C?
    Thanks!! So you went with the SRAM GX crank, hopefully it fits this frame well...I may try it tonight...

BTW - I updated my post with the answers to the above, will let you know when I go tubeless my experiences on the process, the green RD in the picture is already tubeless with no issues....

Peaceout,

-VB
    Last edited by volksbike; 05-19-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Did you try the fit of the GX crankset yet?

Thingamejigger
    RD's w/DT Swiss hubs (not tubeless yet)
    I just got done re-tubelessing my RD's, I changed from Dillinger 5's to Jumbo's for the summer. I had wide duct tape on there and it had soaked up a bit of sealant but not lots, the reason I removed was the edges were starting to lift when I took the tyre off.

I replaced with the Mulefat tubeless tape (78mm x 10m roll) and then a wrap of stans tape on either bead... all pulled drum tight.

By far the best tubeless set up I have tried to date on fat wheels. Aired up easy, zero stans loss when I filled up and zero leaks after 5 miles spin around the blog to slosh the stans about.

Tape is a bit pricey but very impressed.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

9:zero:7 Love

Tape is a bit pricey but very impressed.
    I'd rather spend $$ on tape that works instead of something cheaper failing along the way and having to walk out..
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    I'd rather spend $$ on tape that works instead of something cheaper failing along the way and having to walk out..
    For sure get good tape, but to keep from walking out just take a spare tube.

It is good to check periodically to make sure it is still a good tube though. Nothing like having a belt and suspenders and neither of them work.
    Latitude 61

turtles make me hot
    I'll have another 907 build to show off soon. This one surprises even me...
    My father just had a 95% blockage cleared from an artery and a stint installed. I went to see him after he got home. I had just built a Fatback for my brother and my dad asked about building him a bike. He's 69!
    He ordered up a Large purple frame on Friday. I guess it'll show up on Monday. I'm very curious to see if he keeps it purple or decides to have it coated.
    I also turned him on to the 65 dollar polished Darryls 907 is selling. I bet if he gets those, he gets the frame done black... Not really sure but I'm excited to see how this plays out.
    He's WAY more likely to ride this bike on the beach or just around his neighborhood. That being said, I'm going to build it up 1x10 with a 28 Wolftooth up front, 11-36 cassette, X7 shifter and derailleur, blah blah...
    Probably Big Fat Larrys. I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
    I'll post pics as it happens.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    My father just had a 95% blockage cleared from an artery and a stint installed. I went to see him after he got home. I had just built a Fatback for my brother and my dad asked about building him a bike. He's 69!
    He ordered up a Large purple frame on Friday. I guess it'll show up on Monday. I'm very curious to see if he keeps it purple or decides to have it coated.
    I also turned him on to the 65 dollar polished Darryls 907 is selling. I bet if he gets those, he gets the frame done black... Not really sure but I'm excited to see how this plays out.
    . I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
    Nice! The more Purple 9:Zero:7's the better!!

Right?
    ====================

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    NYrr, You're a good egg, indeed!

Gitter dun! So, what about Mom's fatty???
    I think he'll really enjoy going out on the fatty and it'll be really good for his heart too.

After all, my cardiologist highly recommended riding as part of my cardiac rehab.

Hmm, you need to get your father to sign up for mtbr so he can check out
    "fatbiking and health" and keep us posted on how he's doing and riding, etc.
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    NYrr, You're a good egg, indeed!

Gitter dun! So, what about Mom's fatty???
    I think he'll really enjoy going out on the fatty and it'll be really good for his heart too.

After all, my cardiologist highly recommended riding as part of my cardiac rehab.

Hmm, you need to get your father to sign up for mtbr so he can check out
    "fatbiking and health" and keep us posted on how he's doing and riding, etc.
    I'll get him on.

Mom and Dad are unfortunately with other people. Mom is in Florida. I just sent her a 700c bike that I restored for her. Thread:
    Something A Little Different...

I'm pretty surprised at Dad's request but I'm totally on board. I'm more excited about this build than many others I've done.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    He's WAY more likely to ride this bike on the beach or just around his neighborhood. That being said, I'm going to build it up 1x10 with a 28 Wolftooth up front, 11-36 cassette, X7 shifter and derailleur, blah blah...
    Probably Big Fat Larrys. I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
    Glad to hear your Dad's getting a fatty! Definately go w a comfy cockpit. Is the open bar too much? Idk. Maybe have a couple on hand to try... Let him decide.

turtles make me hot
    Glad to hear your Dad's getting a fatty! Definately go w a comfy cockpit. Is the open bar too much? Idk. Maybe have a couple on hand to try... Let him decide.
    Yeah... I have an Open Bar, a Salsa Bend Bar and a few ODI and other risers he can try.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Open bar sounds great heading into the long weekend!!!

Purple 9:Zero:7 build kit is complete...Speaking of builds all my parts have finally arrived...now I just need to find an unsuspecting builder (me) and about 2 hours of dedicated time...and a little help from my friends at the LBS who I kept in projects over the winter...only for the stem bolt anchor in the fork and the shifter cable cutting tool....hopefully they remember me?

Peace out, wishing a safe and MTB bike filled weekend to all!

-VB

====================

turtles make me hot
    Open bar sounds great heading into the long weekend!!!

Purple 9:Zero:7 build kit is complete...Speaking of builds all my parts have finally arrived...now I just need to find an unsuspecting builder (me) and about 2 hours of dedicated time...and a little help from my friends at the LBS who I kept in projects over the winter...only for the stem bolt anchor in the fork and the shifter cable cutting tool....hopefully they remember me?

Peace out, wishing a safe and MTB bike filled weekend to all!

-VB

Nice. I have the hubs, rims, seatpost, stem and spokes all coming.
    I'll get the wheels built up and then order the crankset, brakes and shifter and derailleur.
    I like turtles

Thingamejigger
    VB - I spy TWO bottles of stans, how much sealant are you planning to add.... <200ml each tyre should be fine!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast