Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 9:zero:7 Love

mtbr member
    From the XXL Thread:

Yep, 5.65 on the 103 at 20psi. 5.45 at 3psi. Quickly measured to approx 5.30 at around 10psi on a Sarma 80mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Volks, the 190/197's are noted to fit 4.8" very well. Screw the attic, build up your bike in the living room, whatcha waitin for???

82's were a good choice for in between. Makes a more comfortable fit for 4.0 and works well with 4.8. I run my tires at 8 PSI max and as low as 1.5 in the snow.
    Thanks on the 82's recommendation!

No worries, it all comes down to having enough parts my friend....once the parts amass a certain number, there is no stopping the flow and that's precisely when the the build comes out of hiding!!! Right now just try to delay the inevitable 'discussion' until I can actually build and ride the 907...you can laugh if you want to, but it worked on recent a BWM K75 acquisition that I hid in the barn for 18 months until and she eventually discovered it this past spring... That one may have left a mark...a wound rather, but I fortunately I heal quickly...

Peaceout

-VB
    ====================
    GBM, Pugley & 9:ZERO:7
    Surly Ogre Rigid 29er - RAGBRAI 2013
    TREK Alum Hardtail 29er - Recon Fork

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Cat fight!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Volks, the 190/197's are noted to fit 4.8" very well. Screw the attic, build up your bike in the living room, whatcha waitin for???

82's were a good choice for in between. Makes a more comfortable fit for 4.0 and works well with 4.8. I run my tires at 8 PSI max and as low as 1.5 in the snow.
    Definately build in the living room, just want to know if that monster XXL will fit in the back. Prob not considering it's 32" diameter...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    There's good clearance for 4.8, but 5.05 isn't likely. Someone else stated that 5.05 would make it in the fork but not the rear. RSD Mayor fits the 5.05's on 80's but not 100's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I built up a second hand 170/135 yellow frame as a spare bike and so the family can join in with the fatbike action, the wife loves it and the kids are just, only just big enough to ride it. I scored some green rims for it and bought a Salsa Enabler fork for it, updated it with some nukeproof parts too.

Cheers
    Adrian

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree with others regarding the 80 vs 100mm rims. 80's give you the ability to run 3.8-4.8"(or larger?) tires, vs 3.8" on 100mm rims is not idea imho.

If possible I would suggest a Mulefut or DTSwiss wheel over RD, as they setup tubeless much better and are overall better quality. There is nothing wrong with Darryl, but if the choice presents itself I wouldn't choose RD.

turtles make me hot
    I've had a 190 and a 197mm frame. Clownshoes and Bud and Lou fit in both of them.
    Snowshoe XXL doesn't fit in any of the current 9Zero7 frames.
    I've ridden my fat bikes on Clownshoes for the first two years. I'm building my black ano 190mm frame as a dedicated beach steed and that one's going to get the Clownshoes and Big Fat Larrys. Turns out, Clownshoes are overkill for trail riding.
    The green 197 bike will get Other Brother Darrys with Bud and 4.8 Knard. Lou for snow.
    Green bike is currently running 29+... Chupacabras on Velocity Duallys.
    These bikes are awesome in the versatility department.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Yes the Other Brother Daryls are tubeless compatible, though i can't speak from experience.

I have been thinking 80mm rims but now considering the 65mm. Will a 4.8 perform well set up tubeless at low pressures on a 65mm rim? I weigh ~150lb.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    As long as it doesn't unseat from lateral forces, 65's will work peachy.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    As long as it doesn't unseat from lateral forces, 65's will work peachy.
    I have been running RD's tubeless on my Pugs Ops with no Issues...
    ====================

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by volksbike View Post
    I have been running RD's tubeless on my Pugs Ops with no Issues...
    Same with my 9:Zero:7, I've been fortunate, altho, I'm a 160# beanpole. The benefit is 8 PSI max I'll evuh run.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardly_stuntworthy View Post
    I built up a second hand 170/135 yellow frame as a spare bike and so the family can join in with the fatbike action, the wife loves it and the kids are just, only just big enough to ride it. I scored some green rims for it and bought a Salsa Enabler fork for it, updated it with some nukeproof parts too.

Cheers
    Adrian

LOVE this photo!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New 29x3 Wheelset

Carbon Whiteout with summer wheels:
    - 29x3 Maxxis Chronicles, tubeless
    - Easton Arc 45 rims
    - 9:zero:7 hubs

9:zero:7 Love-l-29-plus.jpg

9:zero:7 Love-r-29-plus-1.jpg

Living the thug life.
    9:zero:7 Love-2016-05-06-00.19.36.jpg

Turned my winter Carbon Whiteout into my summer Carbon 'Hit It'. This thing shreds on the dirt.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Has anyone successfully tried running 27.5. with 4.0 tires on a 907?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ====================

turtles make me hot
    Has anyone successfully tried running 27.5. with 4.0 tires on a 907?

I did not run them but I trial fitted a set on mine. There was a set waiting to be picked up at the shop and I tried the rear one in my 190 QR frame. Fit fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I did not run them but I trial fitted a set on mine. There was a set waiting to be picked up at the shop and I tried the rear one in my 190 QR frame. Fit fine.
    Cool just wondering about the frame geometry if it is built/designed for it? I do see others running 29+ x 3.0....Thanks!
    ====================

turtles make me hot
    Cool just wondering about the frame geometry if it is built/designed for it? I do see others running 29+ x 3.0....Thanks!
    Yep. Mine is 29+ at the moment. Bud on a Clownshoe is actually taller than 29+.
    I like turtles

Living the thug life.
    The 27.5"x 4" tires fit fine in the 907's. My wife's bike is an XS purple alloy, set up with those tires. Granted, it is on 50mm rims, but has tons of room to spare. The 27.5" tire run a lower profile rubber, so they end up not being any taller than a bud or lou.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Purple Love

Oh yeah!! I got it together and now have some 9:Zero:7 purple love coming my way!

9:zero:7 Love-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    Oh yeah!! I got it together and now have some 9:Zero:7 purple love coming my way!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	1069700
    Nice call!!!
    ====================

Thingamejigger
    Whiteout by the seaside.... can't beat it!

9:zero:7 Love-26868580601_3636f8db4a_c.jpg

Thingamejigger
    Whiteout in the hills.... 532 meters higher than the earlier shot!

9:zero:7 Love-26636577250_3f9fac4628_c.jpg

turtles make me hot
    9:zero:7 Love-hempstead-20150502-00500.jpg9:zero:7 Love-oyster-bay-20150503-00502.jpg

I forgot to post pics of my son's Medium bike. It's 2x10 on Marge Lites and HuskerDus. He loves it.
    He's been bugging me for 29+ wheels. Just got all the parts. Just have to get him some tires.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    F&SCO and Flying Scotsman - Nice steeds!
    Since there has been some talk of wheel/tire fitment... Have either of you (or anyone else for that matter) ever run CS+Lou for a rear wheel? The reason I ask is that for some reason, I can't on my carbon Whiteout. There is such minimal clearance that in the snow the tire buzzes the chainstays with hard pedaling and cornering on firm snow, and of course is even worse (un-ridable) on dirt. I swapped with a friend for his carbon 90mm with 4.8 Knard and it rubbed as well. I'm bummed since this frame was said to accept 5 inch tires and that was why I got it. My aluminum 907 with 190 QR rear did fine with a CS+Lou. I also had the wheel trued, so that shouldn't be an issue, pressure was a max of 10. Usually 2-4 in the snow.
    Here's a pic of Kermit.
    9:zero:7 Love-photo-16.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fat&SkinnyCO View Post
    Carbon Whiteout with summer wheels:
    - 29x3 Maxxis Chronicles, tubeless
    - Easton Arc 45 rims
    - 9:zero:7 hubs

Name:	R 29 plus 1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	1068013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Photo from the weekend riding at Forth Fat.... 80 bikes in South East Scotland. The Island in the background is Treasure Island (proper name is Fidra)

Attachment 1066813

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Have either of you (or anyone else for that matter) ever run CS+Lou for a rear wheel?
    My Dillinger 5 on Rolling Darryl (107mm) has buzzed the frame before (I have helitaped the inside of the stays and forks for this reason. Your Lou / CS is 119mm.... too tight as you have found out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My Dillinger 5 on Rolling Darryl (107mm) has buzzed the frame before (I have helitaped the inside of the stays and forks for this reason. Your Lou / CS is 119mm.... too tight as you have found out.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I heli-taped also, and it turns out the knobs buzz through that pretty effortlessly - and through the paint as well... I can see shiny black carbon.

mtbr member

Special Delivery!

Love to see these great bikes! Keep 'em coming...

Definitely psyched now as I just received a special delivery!
    9:zero:7 Love-image.jpg

I am blown away as to how sweet this frame is. It looks nice in the pics but in person, the details like the hydro forming really shine!

Pleased w/ the color too. More like a plum color but edging towards purple in the full sun.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Congratz on your new friend, Kirkerik! You'll enjoy a fun ride with that rig. The ride quality is quite nice.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Congratz on your new friend, Kirkerik! You'll enjoy a fun ride with that rig. The ride quality is quite nice.
    Thanks BansheeRune, i have to wonder what's in store for my FS or my CX or even my HT 26'r!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I heli-taped also, and it turns out the knobs buzz through that pretty effortlessly - and through the paint as well... I can see shiny black carbon.
    Ouch! I feel your pain!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The novelty will mellow with time! Meanwhile, enjoy the bouncy fata$$ tires, cause they are sooo fun to play with. There will be places where you'll wanna let some air out of em and then you'll wanna pump em up again so a good pump is essential. I do the same with my B+ cause it works very well.
    You're in for a pleasant surprise on your first few rides. Gonna be really fun.

Post build pix and ride pix once it's ready to get dirty!
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Thanks BansheeRune, i have to wonder what's in store for my FS or my CX or even my HT 26'r!
    My FS 29er sits unridden. I may bust it out for one specific trail but it's days are certainly numbered. I've got my sights set on FS 29+.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Getting parts ready for the PPE build...

Parts for the Purple People Eater are trickling in- Rootbeer RD's w/DT Swiss hubs (not tubeless yet) wheels running Jumbo Jims built by Mike C. in Colorado, 1x NW GX crank from California, gears, chain & shifter from the UK and cheap Shimano hydraulic brakes from China (still on the slow boat?) and of course the purple monster XL frame from Alaska!!!

This pic shows the Jumbo Jim 4.8 on 82mm root beer RDs next to my stock pugs ops Nate 3.8s on RD...and Mr. Wiggles snout in the bottom left corner... BTW- he does not like the wheels blocking the path to his food bowl...oops!

Last edited by volksbike; 05-19-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Nice! Looks like you like the RD's! I like the color options on the Surly rims.

Have you tried them tubeless and if so, how'd it go?

I have already rcvd a GX crankset but it might be a while before i can get the rims/wheels going. Exploring options... where did you score the wheels? Mike C?

mtbr member
    Nice! Looks like you like the RD's! I like the color options on the Surly rims.

Have you tried them tubeless and if so, how'd it go?

I have already rcvd a GX crankset but it might be a while before i can get the rims/wheels going. Exploring options... where did you score the wheels? Mike C?
    Thanks!! So you went with the SRAM GX crank, hopefully it fits this frame well...I may try it tonight...

BTW - I updated my post with the answers to the above, will let you know when I go tubeless my experiences on the process, the green RD in the picture is already tubeless with no issues....

Peaceout,

-VB
    Last edited by volksbike; 05-19-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Did you try the fit of the GX crankset yet?
    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact with the trail.

Thingamejigger
    RD's w/DT Swiss hubs (not tubeless yet)
    I just got done re-tubelessing my RD's, I changed from Dillinger 5's to Jumbo's for the summer. I had wide duct tape on there and it had soaked up a bit of sealant but not lots, the reason I removed was the edges were starting to lift when I took the tyre off.

I replaced with the Mulefat tubeless tape (78mm x 10m roll) and then a wrap of stans tape on either bead... all pulled drum tight.

By far the best tubeless set up I have tried to date on fat wheels. Aired up easy, zero stans loss when I filled up and zero leaks after 5 miles spin around the blog to slosh the stans about.

Tape is a bit pricey but very impressed.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

9:zero:7 Love

Tape is a bit pricey but very impressed.
    I'd rather spend $$ on tape that works instead of something cheaper failing along the way and having to walk out..
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    I'd rather spend $$ on tape that works instead of something cheaper failing along the way and having to walk out..
    For sure get good tape, but to keep from walking out just take a spare tube.

It is good to check periodically to make sure it is still a good tube though. Nothing like having a belt and suspenders and neither of them work.
    Latitude 61

turtles make me hot
    I'll have another 907 build to show off soon. This one surprises even me...
    My father just had a 95% blockage cleared from an artery and a stint installed. I went to see him after he got home. I had just built a Fatback for my brother and my dad asked about building him a bike. He's 69!
    He ordered up a Large purple frame on Friday. I guess it'll show up on Monday. I'm very curious to see if he keeps it purple or decides to have it coated.
    I also turned him on to the 65 dollar polished Darryls 907 is selling. I bet if he gets those, he gets the frame done black... Not really sure but I'm excited to see how this plays out.
    He's WAY more likely to ride this bike on the beach or just around his neighborhood. That being said, I'm going to build it up 1x10 with a 28 Wolftooth up front, 11-36 cassette, X7 shifter and derailleur, blah blah...
    Probably Big Fat Larrys. I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
    I'll post pics as it happens.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    My father just had a 95% blockage cleared from an artery and a stint installed. I went to see him after he got home. I had just built a Fatback for my brother and my dad asked about building him a bike. He's 69!
    He ordered up a Large purple frame on Friday. I guess it'll show up on Monday. I'm very curious to see if he keeps it purple or decides to have it coated.
    I also turned him on to the 65 dollar polished Darryls 907 is selling. I bet if he gets those, he gets the frame done black... Not really sure but I'm excited to see how this plays out.
    . I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
    Nice! The more Purple 9:Zero:7's the better!!

Right?
    ====================

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    NYrr, You're a good egg, indeed!

Gitter dun! So, what about Mom's fatty???
    I think he'll really enjoy going out on the fatty and it'll be really good for his heart too.

After all, my cardiologist highly recommended riding as part of my cardiac rehab.

Hmm, you need to get your father to sign up for mtbr so he can check out
    "fatbiking and health" and keep us posted on how he's doing and riding, etc.
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    NYrr, You're a good egg, indeed!

Gitter dun! So, what about Mom's fatty???
    I think he'll really enjoy going out on the fatty and it'll be really good for his heart too.

After all, my cardiologist highly recommended riding as part of my cardiac rehab.

Hmm, you need to get your father to sign up for mtbr so he can check out
    "fatbiking and health" and keep us posted on how he's doing and riding, etc.
    I'll get him on.

Mom and Dad are unfortunately with other people. Mom is in Florida. I just sent her a 700c bike that I restored for her. Thread:
    Something A Little Different...

I'm pretty surprised at Dad's request but I'm totally on board. I'm more excited about this build than many others I've done.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    He's WAY more likely to ride this bike on the beach or just around his neighborhood. That being said, I'm going to build it up 1x10 with a 28 Wolftooth up front, 11-36 cassette, X7 shifter and derailleur, blah blah...
    Probably Big Fat Larrys. I was thinking about a Surly Open Bar. What do you guys think? My Dad's never going to hammer singletrack on this bike.
    Glad to hear your Dad's getting a fatty! Definately go w a comfy cockpit. Is the open bar too much? Idk. Maybe have a couple on hand to try... Let him decide.

turtles make me hot
    Glad to hear your Dad's getting a fatty! Definately go w a comfy cockpit. Is the open bar too much? Idk. Maybe have a couple on hand to try... Let him decide.
    Yeah... I have an Open Bar, a Salsa Bend Bar and a few ODI and other risers he can try.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Open bar sounds great heading into the long weekend!!!

Purple 9:Zero:7 build kit is complete...Speaking of builds all my parts have finally arrived...now I just need to find an unsuspecting builder (me) and about 2 hours of dedicated time...and a little help from my friends at the LBS who I kept in projects over the winter...only for the stem bolt anchor in the fork and the shifter cable cutting tool....hopefully they remember me?

Peace out, wishing a safe and MTB bike filled weekend to all!

-VB

====================

turtles make me hot
    Open bar sounds great heading into the long weekend!!!

Purple 9:Zero:7 build kit is complete...Speaking of builds all my parts have finally arrived...now I just need to find an unsuspecting builder (me) and about 2 hours of dedicated time...and a little help from my friends at the LBS who I kept in projects over the winter...only for the stem bolt anchor in the fork and the shifter cable cutting tool....hopefully they remember me?

Peace out, wishing a safe and MTB bike filled weekend to all!

-VB

Nice. I have the hubs, rims, seatpost, stem and spokes all coming.
    I'll get the wheels built up and then order the crankset, brakes and shifter and derailleur.
    I like turtles

Thingamejigger
    VB - I spy TWO bottles of stans, how much sealant are you planning to add.... <200ml each tyre should be fine!

mtbr member
    VB - I spy TWO bottles of stans, how much sealant are you planning to add.... <200ml each tyre should be fine!
    Hmmm-

I'll have to check into it but I was thinking of starting with 4oz of Stans in each JJ tire??

====================

turtles make me hot
    You're gonna want to do more than 4 oz. Remember, you have to wet the entire inside of all that tire.
    I pour a good sized puddle in my 4.8's.
    I like turtles

Thingamejigger
    You're gonna want to do more than 4 oz. Remember, you have to wet the entire inside of all that tire.
    I pour a good sized puddle in my 4.8's.
    Bottle says 4.2oz for upto 4.0 tyres.... I went with 150ml (5.25oz) for my 4.8 JJ's but I also had zero leaks when I mounted them, so I know that total is still sloshing about inside.

mtbr member
    Bottle says 4.2oz for upto 4.0 tyres.... I went with 150ml (5.25oz) for my 4.8 JJ's but I also had zero leaks when I mounted them, so I know that total is still sloshing about inside.
    Sounds like more oz can't hurt!! Thx

====================

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing that Purple bike mounted up!

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing that Purple bike mounted up!
    Me too!!!

====================

Thingamejigger
    Back to the matter in hand.... changed over to the summer tyres! Didn't like them at first, seems I had to run them harder than my dillingers, so after a couple more lbs of pressure they seem to be not bad.

9:zero:7 Love-27233029742_89383d3c10_c.jpg

mtbr member
    I'll have to pick up some summer tires soon. I'm not gonna go ruin the 'biests in the bare rocks.
    Old Barney has been suffering some neglect recently.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'll have to pick up some summer tires soon. I'm not gonna go ruin the 'biests in the bare rocks.
    Old Barney has been suffering some neglect recently.
    Infidel!! You must ride...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Woot woot!!!

Making progress...feeling the purple love!

Monster 810mm green bars

Cut about 1 3/8 inches off the steerer tube...

Spacer on each side of threaded BB cups...

Shimano 10spd XT "clutch" RD...

Also trying to shoehorn in a 180mm rear disc?

Hopefully I Will be riding soon....

Peace out!

-VB

Last edited by volksbike; 05-30-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    ====================

turtles make me hot
    180 rear disc works fine. That's what I run.
    Those Bronze Darryls look good on the purple frame. I ended up getting my dad Marges in black.

As summer tires go, I went 29+... Chupacabras on Velocity Duallys.
    Hauled ass down the paved path to Jones Beach this afternoon. Road bike guys didn't like me blowin' past them with all my tire noise and my Hope Pro4 buzzin'.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I thoroughly pissed off a roadie today raisin past on my B+. Wide open throttle and left em like a dirty shirt. it pays to have a 4 barrel...

I dunno if I'd wanna try a 180 with my Hope's. It would prolly be like my trials bike, on or off with little modulation. I do prefer a brake with a small modulation window tho'.
    Doctor recommended...

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Looking good. I dig the purple!

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Woot is right! That is looking sharp Volksbike! Those bronze rims look good w the purple frame. Same w the green bar! I 'm hoping to do some green and blue on mine.

I have some Wolvhammer's coming from the auction site and i just landed a Dillinger 4 and 5 both studded. Going to pick up a Bud or another D5 to run w the studded D5 and a Nate to pair w the 4. I'll switch over the studs to the 5 from the 4 me thinks.

You running the JJ this summer?

mtbr member

Woot is right! That is looking sharp Volksbike! Those bronze rims look good w the purple frame. Same w the green bar! I 'm hoping to do some green and blue on mine.

I have some Wolvhammer's coming from the auction site and i just landed a Dillinger 4 and 5 both studded. Going to pick up a Bud or another D5 to run w the studded D5 and a Nate to pair w the 4. I'll switch over the studs to the 5 from the 4 me thinks.

Nice!!

You running the JJ this summer?
    Yes JJ all year for this bike - have some home made tire chains that work ok on the ice. I don't plan to run studded tires this winter...not in the budget...yet!

-VB

Last edited by volksbike; 05-31-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Photo of brake caliper mounting on 9:0:7??

Does anyone have a shot of the spacers for the 907 aluminum frame mount up? With 180mm rotors please...

====================

turtles make me hot
    I'll take a picture now but I won't be able to post it til I get to work in the morning.

The part you need is: Shimano SM-MA-F180P/P2.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Yes JJ all year for this bike - have some home made tire chains that work ok on the ice. I don't plan to run studded tires this winter...not in the budget...yet!

-VB
    Tire chains, or even cables must still be a good option. Easy on/off is a plus. How'd you make 'em? I got a great deal on both the Dillingers and the wolvhammers. Biding my time and looking for deals so long as i'm ready in the fall.

Speaking of budget, i'm on the fence between the Nexties or the Clownshoes. Both of them are $$.

mtbr member

Drivetrain installed easily...nice chain line!!

Brake caliper mounting, cable length issues...cheap Ebay Shimano BR-M355s came set up European style and the whole setup needs to be reconfigured & bled with a longer rear cable to reach the caliper...

====================

mtbr member
    I'll take a picture now but I won't be able to post it til I get to work in the morning.

The part you need is: Shimano SM-MA-F180P/P2.
    Cool thanks!

====================

turtles make me hot
    I laid the Surly Open Bar on top of my Jones Loops last night. They're almost exactly the same. I think they'll be a win. Too bad I have to use adapters to make them fit the stem. Get with the program Surly. No one uses skinny bars any more.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    9:zero:7 Love-hempstead-20160531-00012.jpg
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Name:	Hempstead-20160531-00012.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	1073719
    Sweet...THANKS!!! For the part nbr too!

====================

mtbr member
    I laid the Surly Open Bar on top of my Jones Loops last night. They're almost exactly the same. I think they'll be a win. Too bad I have to use adapters to make them fit the stem. Get with the program Surly. No one uses skinny bars any more.
    I read somewhere (on the Jones or Surly sites) that Surly licensed the patented Jones bar for their bikes. Hmm maybe that is how they got the open bar?

====================

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

Brake caliper mounting, cable length issues...cheap Ebay Shimano BR-M355s came set up European style and the whole setup needs to be reconfigured & bled with a longer rear cable to reach the caliper...

I had really good luck just removing the line and swapping them on a set of used SLX's that I installed that were setup moto style. Didn't even have to re-bleed.

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member

I had really good luck just removing the line and swapping them on a set of used SLX's that I installed that were setup moto style. Didn't even have to re-bleed.
    That's cool, sounds like you got lucky!

In my case the moto rear line needs to be cut down and used as the front lefty lever and a new, longer line installed and bled in the rear on the right lever. The net is that the LBS labor and parts will cost more than the brakes shipped from China!! but I'm hoping to get them setup and some adapter brackets by the weekend...

====================

mtbr member

How does that DT rear sound? Not that it's a big deal but i have been rolling my old XT's on my hardtail lately and they are nice and quiet.

mtbr member

How does that DT rear sound? Not that it's a big deal but i have been rolling my old XT's on my hardtail lately and they are nice and quiet.
    DT hub is super quiet so far...MikeC recommended it for low cost & high strength...but I might need to find a louda clicka!! I'm running Northpaw 135/170mm hubs in my other fatty and I really like them and the sound they make...quieter than a Hope but still louder than the DTs.

Final build update: Just installed the brakes --> Measure twice cut once...no more moto & they came out mint! Last things are the grips, tubeless and some time to ride and fine tune.....just in time for the weekend!!

Last edited by volksbike; 06-03-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    ====================

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Looks great!

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    How sweet it is!

I just got off the trail and had a blast. Love it.

Enjoy your new ride!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    How ya liking that new bike Volksbike? Sure looks nice with the bronze rims.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

How ya liking that new bike Volksbike? Sure looks nice with the bronze rims.
    Thanks guys -->> It's finally done & I love it. Spent some time setting up the JJ's tubeless and it was a learning experience. Not too bad as the compressor helps. for the record used most of one 16 oz bottle of Stans...

So the "Prince Purple People Eater" is officially rolling on root beer float Darrlys!!! Only took it for a shakedown cruise in the rain so far but I can tell it is a big upgrade from my GBM. Weighed in at 30.6 lbs -->> not too bad considering a few low end components were used.

This is a big bike with a long wheelbase and it fits me very well. Looking forward to getting out on the trails.

Thanks much for everyone's help and input during the build!!!

Peace out

-VB

Last edited by volksbike; 06-05-2016 at 08:30 PM.
    ====================

turtles make me hot
    Told ya you'd use more than 4 oz oz per tire.

So... Was it the same brake adapter front and rear?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Told ya you'd use more than 4 oz oz per tire.

So... Was it the same brake adapter front and rear?
    Yes. Same part for 160 to 180mm adapter worked in front as well!!

Go out on the trail this am sweet...

====================

turtles make me hot
    Cool. Makes sense that they'd be the same.

Bike looks great. I built the rear wheel for my dad's purple 907 last night. I'll be posting pics of the build soon.
    I like turtles

Thingamejigger
    Nice machine, but you loose a point for mounting the tyres the wrong way up compared to your rim stickers!

mtbr member

Nice machine, but you loose a point for mounting the tyres the wrong way up compared to your rim stickers!

Hmmmm...I see that...now...with the Jumbo Jim lettering....DOH! In the heat of the battle the Stans was a flowin' everywhere -->>I was happy to get the tires rotation directionally correct and setup tubeless...I mounted the M in JIM at both valve stems like I always do!!

Last edited by volksbike; 06-07-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They guy rides a purple bike....what do you expect?

mtbr member

Purple is the new black!!!

Thanks guys loving the 9:Zero:7 so far - it feels more spread out in fitment since I'm 6'7" with the longer wheelbase and wide bars. Hydraulic brakes are a nice upgrade. Lighter weight helps too and so far my 32 NW - 36 gears are more than adequate for the local hills!!

Last edited by volksbike; 06-07-2016 at 08:52 AM.
    ====================

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    volksbike, it's good to see your bike in fatbike habitat enjoying the day! How ya like the 9:Zero:7 so far? Sure looks better than the images on the fatbikes.com site.
    Dem wheelz! I love how nice the bronze wheels look on the purple mountain eater.
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Take that seat post clamp that they sent you with that frame and toss it in a field. Replace it with a Salsa Lip Lock. The factory supplied ones slip. Even my light weight 175 pound friends make them slip.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    volksbike...Dem wheelz! I love how nice the bronze wheels look on the purple mountain eater.
    Hope to ride some mountains soon!

====================

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good stuff, volksbike! You did a nice build on that rig! Pix when you get out for a proper shakedown...
    Then we will hear of the excitement of the new fat!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Good stuff, volksbike! You did a nice build on that rig! Pix when you get out for a proper shakedown...
    Then we will hear of the excitement of the new fat!
    Have it dialed in pretty good after 3-4 shakedown rides this week, no major issues -> tubeless working well, brakes really quiet until I got the pads wet when rinsing off the mud, then they got loud & squeaky! Oh and I replaced the Shimano 10 spd chain pin with a SRAM Power Lock reusable master link after the pin failed due to improper install on my first ride. I hate those Shimano non-reusable pins anyway, have had too many issues with them in the past and they are not reusable.

I'm loving the purple people eater so far!

PPE at beaver pond

2 purple tails up

Last edited by volksbike; 06-09-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    ====================

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    volksbike, I can relate with the Shimano pins being rubbish. As for the brake noise, it'll go away as you ride em after they dry. My brakes make noise after cleaning until I ride a short distance and use them a few times.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    The bike looks great Volksbike! Glad to see it is working well for ya! Breaking in the new pup family member along side the new Purple 907, I see.

I still carry a small chaintool to this day because of those shimano chains. We've broken so many of them it just became part of our necessary kit. Don't bother w the special pins, the shimano's are much more reliable using the regular links and pins IME. YMMV

Of course, now i run Sram chains w little to no problems.

mtbr member
    Take that seat post clamp that they sent you with that frame and toss it in a field. Replace it with a Salsa Lip Lock. The factory supplied ones slip. Even my light weight 175 pound friends make them slip.
    Good to know, i was reluctant to throw down for a QR clamp given the frame came w one but now i have a second reason!

Thanks.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    I stopped using Shimano chains once I went 10/11spd on the current bikes. I've been using the KMC X11SL & X10SL with great results. IMHO they shift as good as Shimano and have an easy quick link.

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member

I stopped using Shimano chains once I went 10/11spd on the current bikes. I've been using the KMC X11SL & X10SL with great results. IMHO they shift as good as Shimano and have an easy quick link.
    Hmmm-

I'm going to order a KMC 10.93 10 speed to as a spare, I have a new KMC Z51 with a master link, but that is one is a 6,7, 8 speed chain...Apparently all the spacing on Shimano, SRAM and Campy 10 speed is the same and all can run KMC chains? Since I have all 3 types of 10spd drivetrains, the KMC spare makes sense for me. Not saying I would run a KMC on my Campy, but apparently it is supposed to work...Also does KMC make the chains for Shimano?

Last edited by volksbike; 06-09-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    ====================

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

Volksbike - I am running KMC chains on an SRAM X9 (10sp), Shimano XTR (10sp) & XTR (11sp), Shimano Dura Ace (10sp) and my Campy Chorus (10sp) with no issues.

I find that the KMC chains wear better for me than other chains I have used.

No idea who actually makes Shimano, SRAM or Campy chains. Curious now though..

@tgi_cycling

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast