mtbr member
    Mar 2009

9 speed to 7 speed conversion

I read in one of the threads that someone was able to convert a 9 speed cassette to a 7 speed by simply dropping the smallest cogs, sliding the cassette over, and using a spacer on the inside. My question is, if I do this will I need a new shifter and can you tell be about derailleur clearance issues? Please advise. Pictures might be nice if you have this set-up

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You will be fine, no need for a new shifter.
    You just have to set your limits correctly, so you don't overshoot the cassette into the space that is left

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Won't work with all derailleurs. The Shimano Shadow derailleurs operate too close to the cassette for it to be spaced out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I had my LBS do that conversion, ended up with a great chain line. Like Petriedav said, it's all in the limit screw. I think they may have replaced it with a longer screw that had in the parte bin to make it work. The rear der is SRAM X-9 long cage.

I can't show you a picture, someone stole my Muk2 this week. So if you see one in the woods with only 7 speeds, feel free to make a citizens arrest. It also had red Magura Marta SL brakes, safe to say its a one of a kind build.

mtbr member
    Simply changing the limit screw to a longer one won't work with a X9 der. Read this thread Trouble with derailleur after removing 2 cogs

I am either going to dremel my der or use spacers to have it further from the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    I can't show you a picture, someone stole my Muk2 this week. So if you see one in the woods with only 7 speeds, feel free to make a citizens arrest. It also had red Magura Marta SL brakes, safe to say its a one of a kind build.
    Dude, that sucks.