Anchorage, AK

70mm Uma Rim Problem

I can't seem to get tires to seat properly on this rim with tubes. I have tried both Dillinger and Husker Du tires and no matter how much pressure I add the tires don't seat. With the Surly rims I add apply a little soapy water air up to 25-30 psi and the beads pop right into place. With the UMAs no matter how much pressure I add the beads don't seat properly. Has anyone else had this problem?
    --Peace

Nuts
    Maybe try something slippery-er.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have this problem. It is random, sometimes they seem to pop, sometimes not. I have Endos and Nates.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How high have you gone with the pressure? It seems like they'd have to pop at some pressure....60, 70 psi?

mtbr member
    No trouble here, so no advice to give. My '09 uma 70s have accepted endos, larrys, nates, huskers, and floaters with little trouble. had to use soapy water only once. big fan of this rim. still true after 4 seasons and i'm a clyde.
    The older I get the better I was...

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I sometimes have to go up to 40ish PSI but I also seat dry. They eventually pop into place. Same as Velo, true as they day they were laced, super clyde.

mtbr member
    I usually set up my '10 Uma's w/ soap, and only pump to 30 psi. Once there, I eyeball the beadline to look for any spots that haven't seated, and then "massage" the bead on. This results in a very satisfying "pop." This method has worked w/ several Surly sneakers and a pair of Dillingers.
    I think the beadlock on the Uma's may make them a bit tougher to mount compared to others, but I'm glad it's there.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    I usually set up my '10 Uma's w/ soap, and only pump to 30 psi. Once there, I eyeball the beadline to look for any spots that haven't seated, and then "massage" the bead on. This results in a very satisfying "pop." This method has worked w/ several Surly sneakers and a pair of Dillingers.
    I think the beadlock on the Uma's may make them a bit tougher to mount compared to others, but I'm glad it's there.
    I hadn't tried working it in like this - I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    I put a little soap on the bead, and use a water bottle to spread a tiny amount of water to carry the soap around. I haven't tried it, but I believe Schwalbe makes some sort of tire lubricant.

mtbr member

70mm Uma Rim Problem

Massaging is the way to go. I doubt it will fit fattie, but this makes life easier for your favorite wrench to do the job. http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...FQya4Aodjn4Aaw

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

Chronic Underachiever
    I used Pledge furniture polish on the rims and got Larrys and Endos to seat usually just south of 25 psi. Wiped the beadlock ledges out good before mounting the tire.