mtbr member
    Jul 2013

45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?

Hi All, Iíve seen various threads about this tire, but Iím wondering if any current riders out there could comment specifically on how this works as a front tire in various snow conditions. I currently run a Terrene Wazia 4.6 on the front and have been disappointed by how much it washes out. Iím considering the Wrathchild (studded) for the front in the hopes that Iíll have one tire setup to get me through all winter conditions.

Thanks!

Side note... I think the Terrene Wazia studded for a rear tire is incredible. Performance reminds me of my Nateís with studs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I think it's all dependent on the bike, the conditions, tire pressures, etc. I struggled with the same. To me, the biggest thing seems to be tire pressures and where your weight is. Maybe there are better tires for each condition but I'm not sure there is one best tire. The biggest differences for me were playing with where my weight was on the bike by changing stems/making adjustments so that I could easily load the front and back as needed, the next of course was tire pressures.

To me the Surly Bud looks like the best tire to run in the snow but it's hard for me to justify $130 to try it.

mtbr member
    Have you tried Vee's Snow Avalanche?
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Appreciate the responses, but Iím not looking for suggestions on tires. Just looking for riders with first hand experience with the Wrathchild and how it does as a front tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have only one snow ride with the studded Wrathchild tires. 4Ē new snow on downhill single track. No washouts. In fact in general this tire has the most grip I have ever experienced.

Ambassador of Chub
    I've been running the Wrathchild 4.6 (actually more like 4.3" on an 80mm rim) from and rear, both of them set up according to the tread directional recommendations from 45N. I'm pretty impressed with them, both front and rear. I ride them pretty much exclusively on snow. Good tracking tracking, very good rear traction.

Haven't used the Wazia, so I can't compare it to that, but I think the Wrathchild is a very worthy sub 4.8" aggressive tire.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    I have only one snow ride with the studded Wrathchild tires. 4Ē new snow on downhill single track. No washouts. In fact in general this tire has the most grip I have ever experienced.
    Wow... thatís a solid recommendation. Thanks for taking the time to share.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I've been running the Wrathchild 4.6 (actually ore like 4.3" on an 80mm rim) from and rear, both of them set up according to the tread directional recommendations from 45N. I'm pretty impressed with them, both front and rear. I ride them pretty much exclusively on snow. Good tracking tracking, very good rear traction.

Haven't used the Wazia, so I can't compare it to that, but I think the Wrathchild is a very worthy sub 4.8" aggressive tire.
    Good to know on how the tire measures out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Iím not too concerned about float, mostly about grip when riding fast on loose snow & ice. Sounds like this tire is the winner!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    I've been running the Wrathchild 4.6 (actually more like 4.3" on an 80mm rim) from and rear, both of them set up according to the tread directional recommendations from 45N. I'm pretty impressed with them, both front and rear. I ride them pretty much exclusively on snow. Good tracking tracking, very good rear traction.

Can either of you guys comment on what the rolling resistance is like? I like the sounds of the grip you are describing and it not washing out. Little bummed it's only 4.3" on 80mm since 45nrth specs list it about the same as the d5. Was really hoping you were going to say it's basically a 4.6" VanHelga with studs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rolling resistance is higher than maxxis minions and jumbo Jimís. The difference is not huge but the grip is. My friend who bought some WC ( he road minions)with me joked that these tires would would make us terrible riders since you can basically ride any line and it will find grip!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Can either of you guys comment on what the rolling resistance is like? I like the sounds of the grip you are describing and it not washing out. Little bummed it's only 4.3" on 80mm since 45nrth specs list it about the same as the d5. Was really hoping you were going to say it's basically a 4.6" VanHelga with studs.
    I had 113mm on a 90's tubeless at about 15psi. About 3mm bigger than my friends D5's on 85mm rims. That being said the WC's seem to have much more volume than the d5's.

Edit: These are not little tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-23732549_2135603249798516_971897404_o.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I've been running the Wrathchild 4.6 (actually more like 4.3" on an 80mm rim)
    more "like" 4.461" on a 80mm rim...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Interesting about the Wazia up front. Iíve got a 4.6 Cake Eater on the front of my Voytek and a Wazia in the back. Iíll be anxious to see if the Cake Eater performs well in the front.

I saw some Wrathchilds on a bike today. They are huge!

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    more "like" 4.461" on a 80mm rim...
    Yeah....something like that. Pictured below on Mulefut 80.

"The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    I ran one on the front (studded) paired with a D5 on the rear (also studded). from Feb-April last year. Prior to the Wrathchild, I had a D5 on the front too (studded). Now that we have snow, I will be putting the 45NRTHS back on, in place of the Jims (which I prefer in the summer).

It's a fantastic tire,

-Blows away Jumbo Jim 4.8 and the Studded D5 for traction up front. Really takes snow riding from a tentative experience to really being able to charge and commit to cornering and off camber. It just tracks straight ahead, with very little threat of washing out.

-It's lighter than the D5 by 130 grams, heavier than Jumbo Jim by 150 grams.

-Volume is identical to the D5 on the same rim, but notably smaller than a 4.8 Jim.

-Rolling Resistance is perceptibly higher than the Jumbo Jim 4.8, the difference is less at temps below 15 deg, where the Jim rolling resistance seems substantially affected by the cold temps. I can't tell a difference in rolling resistance between the Wrathchild and the D5.

Anchorage, AK
    Yeah....something like that. Pictured below on Mulefut 80.

With all tires mounted width can vary based on rim width, pressure, stretch, manufacturing variation, and whether it is set up tubed or tubeless. A fully stretched tire set up tubeless at 20 psi could easily be 1/4 inch or more wider than a new tire with a tube in it at low pressure.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    With all tires mounted width can vary based on rim width, pressure, stretch, manufacturing variation, and whether it is set up tubed or tubeless. A fully stretched tire set up tubeless at 20 psi could easily be 1/4 inch or more wider than a new tire with a tube in it at low pressure.
    And, it looks like, in this case whether you measure casing or knob width.
    Latitude 61

Ambassador of Chub
    Of course. Just to paint the full picture, this particular pair of Wrathchilds have never had tubes in them, were left for days at 20+ psi when first mounted, and have been used for 2 months at this point. I don't see them stretching much more at this point.

Not sure why anyone would quote measured fat tire widths @ 20psi anyway - no one runs fat tires at those pressures that I'm aware of. Accurate width measurements should be based on typical psi range for real world usage, imo. For a 4.5" snow tire, 4-8psi is pretty normal.

Personally, I'm not that tweaked about the fact that they're measuring out a little less than advertised. I'm more concerned with performance than splitting hairs on width in this case. I have a separate pair of Bud/Lou for when I really need the floatation.

Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    And, it looks like, in this case whether you measure casing or knob width.
    I am measuring the outermost knob width in this case. And those knobs extend beyond the widest part of the casing.

mtbr member
    I'm running front/rear Wrathchilds and I LOVE them. I'm mainly riding Anchorage hillside from Elmore to Glen Alps and they absolutely shred the single track/techy sections. Tires are super stiff so you have to get the pressure dialed for your weight/riding style (I'm running 3-4 PSI depending on conditions).

One thing I will comment on with these tires is that I'm losing lots of the XL concave studs.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by thrash907 View Post
    I'm running front/rear Wrathchilds and I LOVE them. I'm mainly riding Anchorage hillside from Elmore to Glen Alps and they absolutely shred the single track/techy sections....
    Agreed. I'm finding the same thing.

One thing I will comment on with these tires is that I'm loosing lots of the XL concave studs.
    Interesting. I studded mine with these, rather than the 45N XL studs, and they've been holding up well.

Anchorage, AK

Not sure why anyone would quote measured fat tire widths @ 20psi anyway - no one runs fat tires at those pressures that I'm aware of. Accurate width measurements should be based on typical psi range for real world usage, imo. For a 4.5" snow tire, 4-8psi is pretty normal.
    I ride at high pressure all the time--when I am commuting or riding on ice or packed snow. I think its pretty important to know the high-pressure width to make sure the tire will really fit in all conditions.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I replaced my D5's with Wrathchild's and agree with the above comments, great traction front and rear, a great combo for the Bucksaw!
    They measure at 106mm or 4.17 at the outermost knob on 65mm Marge Lite's (8psi).
    I went with the regular concave studs, haven't had any problems with them coming loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-wrathchilds.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    I ride at high pressure all the time--when I am commuting or riding on ice or packed snow. I think its pretty important to know the high-pressure width to make sure the tire will really fit in all conditions.
    Yep, that's the single biggest reason I like studs--I can up the pressure to 15-20 and roll safely and fast on hard snowpack/Icy roads.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_biker View Post
    Hi All, Iíve seen various threads about this tire, but Iím wondering if any current riders out there could comment specifically on how this works as a front tire in various snow conditions. I currently run a Terrene Wazia 4.6 on the front and have been disappointed by how much it washes out. Iím considering the Wrathchild (studded) for the front in the hopes that Iíll have one tire setup to get me through all winter conditions.

Thanks!

Side note... I think the Terrene Wazia studded for a rear tire is incredible. Performance reminds me of my Nateís with studs.

Wrath is marginally better than Wazia up front. But then, it's totally conditions and rider dependent.

Ambassador of Chub
    Sure, I can see the value in knowing the width at really high psi for clearance purposes. But you have to admit, that's a lot higher than most people are probably ever going to run them, esp. on anything other than hardpack snow/ice, which isn't really what this tire is primarily designed for, imo.

As long as the manufacturer makes that clear, then users can adjust their expectations accordingly for more average pressures. And, to their credit, 45N does do that on their geometry page:

"All tires are measured in millimeters at max psi rating printed on tires."

Some manufacturers make this more obvious than others.

Regardless, beyond quoting the manufacturer's specs, I think it's more appropriate for the terms of discussions like this to state measurements at common psis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Wrath is marginally better than Wazia up front. But then, it's totally conditions and rider dependent.
    I put one on order and will report back. I suspect with my riding style the Wrathchild will be notably better than the Wazia. In fact, I ran my Husker Duís (newer design) a couple days ago and then swapped in the Waziaís and found my Husker Duís had more bite when cornering. I somehow seem to find the dead spot on the Wazia way too often so it could just be me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have been running the crap out of the studded Wrathchilds without losing a single XL stud-I was amazed,on hard pack,snow and street no noticeable wear. Running 4-6 PSI tubed. Happy

mtbr member
    Anymore people losing the stock XL studs?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    sorry, i put the standard 45nrth studs in mine.

I have 2 rides and 25+ miles on the wrathchilds. they grip like a MOFO! tremendously confidence inspiring. compared to the D5's, they are definitely heavier feeling and slower rolling, but you can toss some lean ngle into them and put the hammer down!. VERY VERY happy with them. #thumbup

mtbr member
    Yep I'm losing a LOT of them. Last count I'm easily down >10 in the rear and front on my wrathchilds. Other than that they're my favorite tires.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hey everyone!

Hoping to get my bike in the next few days.

Should a dab of superglue something that could help us out?

I have used thread locks with RC before.. I used to put some on the threads... not the crazy strong one, but enough to help hold everything in place...Thoughts?
    Ed

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    sorry, i put the standard 45nrth studs in mine.

I have 2 rides and 25+ miles on the wrathchilds. they grip like a MOFO! tremendously confidence inspiring. compared to the D5's, they are definitely heavier feeling and slower rolling, but you can toss some lean ngle into them and put the hammer down!. VERY VERY happy with them. #thumbup
    I agree, after a few good snow rides now I think the D5's are going into retirement, great grip front and rear with the Wrath.

After seeing the XL studs first hand I was wondering if I made the right choice going with the regular concave but they seem to grip fine and haven't lost any yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-decemberwrath.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Update-I have about 200miles on the factory XL studded Wrathchilds,looked them over carefully and has not lost 1 stud. Not even a hint of wear yet but time will tell,on everything from snow,singletrack and tar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thrash907 View Post
    Yep I'm losing a LOT of them. Last count I'm easily down >10 in the rear and front on my wrathchilds. Other than that they're my favorite tires.
    They reccomend running them on pavement for a few miles to help set the studs into the pocket, might help if you haven't already done this.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member

45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?

Running a pair of Wrathís front and rear with 160 Gripstuds in each. As previously mentioned, the performance is excellent-a great replacement for my studded Nates.
    A couple notes-

Iím running them on mulefuts w/ tape. Even after a few rides they are still weeping a bit of Stanís, which is visible around the bead at the end of the ride. It doesnít seem to be a big deal though, as Iíve not lost enough air to notice during the rides themselves. Has anyone else experienced this?

The Gripstuds in the Wrathís came out of my old Nates. At 4 years old, their bases were a bit rusty, but they threaded into the stud pockets smoothly and are still SHARP after all these years. As expected, I have not lost any studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    They reccomend running them on pavement for a few miles to help set the studs into the pocket, might help if you haven't already done this.
    Yea man that's why I'm not really too bummed. I talked to a 45nrth rep and he recommended some softer/flat terrain for seating the XL studs. Still sucks though, I was able to go straight to the trail with studded D4/5s without any (maybe 1).

Ambassador of Chub
    Ran the Wrathchilds in the Fat Pursuit yesterday, with conditions so sloppy and un-groomed that they had to re-route the race. In retrospect, running my Bud/Lou on 100s would have been a better choice, but I have to say that for their actual width, the Wrathchilds did really well keeping me moving through the slop.

mtbr member
    Where is the best place to buy STUDDED wrathchilds?

mtbr member
    They seem to be $250 everywhere I looked.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

first thoughts

hey! just got my bike today and went for my first ride....

itís a bigfoot 2 with wrathchild / studded both front and rear, itís got tubes for now.

iíll probably play with pressure as i go.... for now, started off with 8psi... but i measured indoors. outside is -15c, so guess itíd be less than that...

Rode through some fluffy snow, hard packed snow and icy patches... amazing grip... quite a workout, as iím not used to riding on snow.... but super fun!

one thing iíve noticed is that front thread is inverted, as opposed to rear, guess to help braking, eh?
    really short ride, seems all studs are still there!

cheers,
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-71ddb32d-e0e7-4d98-9c7c-9d2aa0e1198d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    https://www.fyxation.com/products/45...d-fatbike-tire

They have a coupon code for 15% off at the top of the page.

Mine just arrived today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolor View Post

one thing iíve noticed is that front thread is inverted, as opposed to rear, guess to help braking, eh?
    No for more traction man!!

As of right now I've been more impressed with my Beists than the WC's in deep snow but shall see once conditions change and as I continue to mess with air pressure. I did have my back one set for the front direction and have spun it now, hopefully it helps some.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Enjoying the WC

I only have Jumbo Jims and minions to compare to but the WC studded tires would be my go to of the three if snow or ice is involved. The WC studs dig in wet wood, roots and rock where the other tires go slipping. On hardpaxked snow, my buddy on jumbo jims didnít seem to have any problems keeping up to me at 40-50km/hr on curves so I think the WC have select areas of advantage. I have lost 7 studs from the rear (6 on my first ride). No stud loss in front. I think stud loss will be highest when the tires are brand new and if the temperature warm. I plan to keep replacing the XL studs and not go to the smaller studs.

45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-0b863208-6cd9-4b12-a28c-d6a44da4bf1f.jpg45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-680c341e-f347-425b-ab79-9122fa0e9bc7.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got mine at REI for $ 200 with a 20% off coupon. Sweetness. Supporting the store that supports the mt bikers in my area( Boston) with huge amounts of trail grant $$.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Review - Wazia/Wrathchild/D5

Here's a review the OP can probably appreciate -- I've ridden both the Wazia and Wrathchild's (W/ XL Studs) back to back, on the same bike, on the same rim, in the same conditions (benefits of both the wife & I having the same Bike -Surly ICT)45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-20171216_105756.jpg

The Wazia is quieter, a bit faster rolling, and the preferred choice if I'll be hitting ANY amount of dry pavement, as the WC's are the loudest tire I've ever run on pavement.

The WC also was a bit trickier to setup tubeless. In fact I had such a hard time setting the bead the first time that I had to use a tube (with mulefuts) to set one side, then break one side and remove tube. I had to take the pressure all the way to 35 to get them to seat without bubbling at the bead.

Now that that's done, they've held air with zero leakage or seepage for two weeks.

Overall Remarks:
    -WC is a bit slower rolling. You only feel it when conditions are *good*
    -I also felt the D5's were pretty slow; So base my opinion on that
    -Both tires work well on Ice, but the WC works substantially better in rutted/post-holed icy trails
    -Both work well in snow; The WC will do better for blazing a new path, but may be a bit more sluggish if it's easy groomed hard pack
    -I don't think either tire are particularly prone to washing out in the front, but, I've ridden through some pretty deep snow, and so far I've only done ONE snow angel this year! I did a few rides on the D5's last year and was surprised how easily those things wash out... The Wazia and WC are BOTH far better in that area IMO.
    -I've lost zero studs. My first ride was on a pavement/icy mix with my dog. I've put in about 50 miles since, with the majority being on single track.

I'm really intrigued by the Cake Eater since the Wazia has made me a big fan of Terrene and I do a pretty good mix of riding, not all single track... but I think I'll be leaving the WC's on and riding the crap out em, because they're great in the worst of conditions and I'm out there to have fun and explore stuff I can't get to in the summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrduford View Post

The WC also was a bit trickier to setup tubeless. In fact I had such a hard time setting the bead the first time that I had to use a tube (with mulefuts) to set one side, then break one side and remove tube. I had to take the pressure all the way to 35 to get them to seat without bubbling at the bead.

Now that that's done, they've held air with zero leakage or seepage for two weeks.

I set up a WC on a mulefut the other night with a hand pump and valve core removed. It fit like a glove and sealed up tight. I did use a little soapy water on the rims to aid sliding the tire bead up on the rim shelf so maybe that was the difference. I still have to mount my rear tire and I'm hoping it goes this easier. It was way easier than my Minion FBF's I did a couple weeks ago on same wheels. Those required a compressor and strap to get the beads to seat.

So different experiences for different people. They may mount easily or you could have a heckuva time.

Now to decide whether to run the rear with front direction or rear direction. Maybe if I put on on the front direction I'll jinx myself and we'll get some decent snow in MN and have to reverse it

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I set up a WC on a mulefut the other night with a hand pump and valve core removed. It fit like a glove and sealed up tight. I did use a little soapy water on the rims to aid sliding the tire bead up on the rim shelf so maybe that was the difference. I still have to mount my rear tire and I'm hoping it goes this easier. It was way easier than my Minion FBF's I did a couple weeks ago on same wheels. Those required a compressor and strap to get the beads to seat.

So different experiences for different people. They may mount easily or you could have a heckuva time.

Now to decide whether to run the rear with front direction or rear direction. Maybe if I put on on the front direction I'll jinx myself and we'll get some decent snow in MN and have to reverse it
    Nice! Yeah I guess there will be variances. On the flip side, I mounted the first wazia so easily I got cocky with the second one and added sealant before even seating the bead. Installed without even pushing the beads to the seat. Thought I'd have the same experience with the WC and I was sorely mistaken.

Either way, I'm glad I bought em. They open up a lot of riding options during this freeze-thaw early winter season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OP here... thank you or all the thoughtful responses! Seems like some solid interest in this tire. I ended up getting a WC studded earlier this week and set it up tubeless on Marge Lites. Fortunately, I have a compressor so setting tubeless is pretty simple.

Had two shake out rides so far on Ice and hard pack snow with a little off-roading in the deep stuff for fun. Initial impressions are strong. On glare ice the Wrathchild reminds me of my old studded Dillingers and how much traction they can get. The Waziaís are good on ice, but still drifted a little on ice instead of feeling planted.

Relative to groomed / loose snow, I am thrilled. The WC stays so much more planted. Kind of reminds me of the grip I would get with my Bud. Best of all, no more washing out!! Iím a pretty aggressive rider and had stopped trusting my Wazia, so itís nice to have a tire up front that I can really push.
    Will add another review after I see how it does in 5-10Ē of the fresh stuff. Really fired up for winter now!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Winter solstice in Kuujjuaq

Happy Winter Solstice everyone,

So the river is starting to freeze up and I had the chance to play a bit... the tires have fantastic grip... my boots have cleats/crampons as well, and it felt like normal road conditions, but definitely harder to go through as the snow gets deeper...

It was pretty cold so I didnít let the air out as I would need to put air back on my way home, but I was positively surprised by how well it glues to the ice...

cheers,
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-a1578389-e283-4464-bab4-e355518f5fbd.jpeg  

45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-3b58031c-8563-461b-a319-a83d2e531c59.jpeg  

45nrth 4.6 Wrathchild Front Tire for Snow?-c28b2ce4-83f5-4082-b960-081d1e75b1a5.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Yeah Happy Solstice!

My WC mounted up real easy, but on nextie carbons. Hold air just fine.

Did about eight miles on them recently in challenging conditions. We had maybe 2-3 inches of wet snow as a first snow for a base and then 4-5" of cold dry powder. The base was still warm enough that it was very slippery but amazing what i was able to climb w the WC and i had the rear set up for cornering.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OP here... one last review for those that stumble on this thread from the google. The 4.6 studded Wratchild is incredible! Exactly what I was looking for... which is a front tire that can get me through any snow condition in the winter riding season. Iíve now had them on glare ice, groomed, loose over hard and finally an entire ride where I got first tracks in fresh powder. I like to ride fast and aggressively and I canít get the Wrathchild to break loose. Where my Wazia used to wash out at first chance, this tire just stays planted. Well worth the price in my opinion!

I decided to stay with my Terrence Wazia 4.6 as a rear tire and it is perfectly suited for the job. Fast rolling at higher pressures and can dig in powder when lowered to 1.5-2psi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd be curious to know if anyone has gone D4 vs Wrathchild in a race scenario?

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHumpal View Post
    I'd be curious to know if anyone has gone D4 vs Wrathchild in a race scenario?
    I think it would entirely depend on conditions. For races that are fortunate enough to happen on nicely groomed hardpack, it would be hard to beat the fast-rolling qualities of the D4. But on any race that actually requires traction and more floatation than a 3.8" tire is going to offer, I'd grab the WCs. But personally, I'm not much of a Dillinger fan.