Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anchorage, AK

45North Wolvhammer

I love my Wolvenhammers, but this is pretty disappointing after only one-and-a-half seasons:

45North Wolvhammer-img00491.jpg
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Same sole as the Lakes, right? I've never seen this before in a Lake. Although I don't use either, a friend has been using them (Lakes) for a few years now, commuting everyday, and this hasn't been a problem for him.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    Same sole as the Lakes, right? I've never seen this before in a Lake. Although I don't use either, a friend has been using them (Lakes) for a few years now, commuting everyday, and this hasn't been a problem for him.
    The sole looks similar, but I don't know if the glue is the same. I have boots that are twenty years old that this has not happened to. I am very disappointed.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did you use them for walking? If so...that may void your warranty.

That better not f'in happen to my boots. For the premium price them sons-o-biches better last longer then the bubble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    And just when I thought that I might want a pair, reality sets in.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Please call 45nrth or shoot them an email w a pic. They have very good customer service. Maybe you have already tried this?

aka bOb
    And be very careful to never say anything bad about 45nrth, they will haunt you. You would think that telling them that one or more of their products suck that they would appreciate the advice but no someone from there gets all pissy.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by ifrider2 View Post
    Please call 45nrth or shoot them an email w a pic. They have very good customer service. Maybe you have already tried this?
    Thank you for the advice. I just sent them an note at through their website linking them to this thread. I will report back on what I hear. I ride every day in Anchorage having so boots that are falling apart is not good.
    --Peace

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    And be very careful to never say anything bad about 45nrth, they will haunt you. You would think that telling them that one or more of their products suck that they would appreciate the advice but no someone from there gets all pissy.
    I still think my fasterkatt thread was what created the zipper instructional blog post. I bought Dillingers anyway, but won't buy anything from them that's not a tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Nevermind you're already on it. Good Luck...
    Climbing Builds Character

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    but won't buy anything from them that's not a tire.
    I agree and a statement like that is what got me flamed in the first place, some people just get butt hurt a little to easy. After working for over 20 years outdoors in some of the harshest environments in the lower 48 we learned long ago that zippers in boots don't last.

mtbr member

Re: 45North Wolvhammer

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    And just when I thought that I might want a pair, reality sets in.
    My thoughts exactly. I was planning on buying some this summer for next winter. Not so sure now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

45North Wolvhammer

Fasterkatts, Wolverhammers, whatever-they-are-calling-their-non-windproof-balaclavas. I've got some rim strikes I want your feedback on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm how far behind?
    Mine started to do that on the first ride. I had a flyer in my box telling me that while tread de lamination is covered by warranty, you should glue them yourself with a silicone adhesive to save you from being without them cause all they would do is glue them anyways. Should've been enough of a red flag to return them but I really wanted them to work out for me. Now I'm glueing them every other week. Serously thinking of going back to my 6 year old Lakes for my upcoming race in Alaska. At least I can carry a spare Boa with me. Not happy at all with my $325 boots.
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

45North Wolvhammer

Every other week is pretty much industry standard.

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

And the LBS wanted $400 ............

mtbr member
    May 2011

Who buys this crap?

Sorels and platforms, people. C'mon.

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

It's very simple business practice of put on a heavy price tag and people will automatically assume its great quality.
    Last edited by funnyjr; 02-15-2014 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

45North Wolvhammer

What pedals you have? Crankbrothers maybe?

Tässä on sulle mitali.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Seems like a pretty harsh tone considering this seems to be just one instance of this kind of failure and the guy hasn't even heard back from the company.

Even so, I agree these boots are too expensive. I want a pair but haven't been able to justify the expense.

I have lots of friends that are very happy with these boots. I suppose if you pay over $300 for boots you have to convince yourself they were a good purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Who buys this crap?

Sorels and platforms, people. C'mon.
    I have Sorels, but picked these up. Much trimmer (q-factor is wide enough with fat bikes) and much lighter. The only negative thing is that they don't have removable liners. But then, the do dry out very fast and are VERY warm.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Elitest thrill junkie
    The only reason I see to get the wolfhammers is if you HAVE to ride SPD in the most extreme conditions. If not, there are many better boots out there for approximately half the price (and cheaper on sale).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Or Shimano mw81. Great boots, very light, warm, waterproof and much less $$ then wolves.
    CRAMBA Chairman

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Or Shimano mw81. Great boots, very light, warm, waterproof and much less $$ then wolves.
    Um, no , unless you are a poser. Those are not for the same purpose as the wolfhammers. If you are riding in a place where those shimano's work, it's A, not cold, and B, a place where the 45Nth shoes would be way overkill. I'm not sure you realize what the purpose of the wolfhammer's is.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Um, no , unless you are a poser. Those are not for the same purpose as the wolfhammers. If you are riding in a place where those shimano's work, it's A, not cold, and B, a place where the 45Nth shoes would be way overkill. I'm not sure you realize what the purpose of the wolfhammer's is.
    Yeah, guess not. 0° f and sometimes lower night rides aren't that cold. I'm sure everyone here using the wolves must be riding - 30°f.

This past January we had daily temps in the negatives real temp, not wind chill bs. My feet were just fine.

I also have been trudging through snow almost to my waist no issue at all with the these.

Please tell me your experience with the mw81s.
    CRAMBA Chairman

osv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the post. I just looked at mine, and they are coming unglued in the same spot.

mtbr member
    I use Northwave Artics. And although they are pretty warm down to the mid-teens F, and probably close to the same as the Shimano MW81 (or maybe warmer...see the second last paragraph in this review), I assume the Wolvhammers are intended to be used in much colder conditions.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, guess not. 0° f and sometimes lower night rides aren't that cold. I'm sure everyone here using the wolves must be riding - 30°f.

This past January we had daily temps in the negatives real temp, not wind chill bs. My feet were just fine.

I also have been trudging through snow almost to my waist no issue at all with the these.

Please tell me your experience with the mw81s.
    It was zero and slightly below on 3 of my commutes this week. It's plenty cold here

mtbr member

It was zero and slightly below on 3 of my commutes this week. It's plenty cold here
    Are you in Alaska Anchorage area jayem? Funny our metro Detroit temps have been colder than you guys this year. It's been brutal, but still a fun time. Snow is packed nicely on the trails.
    Commute? No way. Not for me! Got me there.
    CRAMBA Chairman

I'm how far behind?
    [QUOTE=Jayem;11003344]The only reason I see to get the wolfhammers is if you HAVE to ride SPD in the most extreme conditions. [T/QUOTE]

Unfortunately these are not extreme condition boots unless you buy them at least 2 full sizes bigger, just like the Lakes. They are rated to 0 ANC that seems pretty much spit on without multiple socks and a vapor barrier. I would pay twice as much for a real boot that fits and goes to -30 or so.
    Fatter than most.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are you in Alaska Anchorage area jayem? Funny our metro Detroit temps have been colder than you guys this year. It's been brutal, but still a fun time. Snow is packed nicely on the trails.
    Commute? No way. Not for me! Got me there.
    Maybe, the coldest commutes have started at -15 or so, but I never count wind-chill, so could be much "colder" I suppose. Been commuting just about every day this winter. It's much easier in the morning vs the afternoon/evening for me, even though it's usually colder.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post

Unfortunately these are not extreme condition boots unless you buy them at least 2 full sizes bigger, just like the Lakes. They are rated to 0 ANC that seems pretty much spit on without multiple socks and a vapor barrier. I would pay twice as much for a real boot that fits and goes to -30 or so.
    Well, you learn pretty early on to buy winter boots at least a size bigger, I got some north-face ones that I bought at my "size" and they were ridiculous while wearing any kind of winter sock. The other issue though is that a big huge insulated boot becomes a heat-sink too, in constant contact with the cold, it can be difficult to keep feet warm even with the heaviest "insulated" boot in the world. That said, the shimano boots are simply transition-season boots for most places except the South, they are just not "boot-like" enough. I have the lakes too and they at least bridge the gap a little better, taking me into the teens. Below that I break out the big-honking boots that can take thick socks because I bought them bigger and wider than what I usually wear. I can also go "thin" in said boots if it's not too cold. After a while you start ignoring what something might be "rated" to, differences in circulation, age, insulating techniques, riding technique, and so on, make a lot more difference and affect the ridable temperature range. The construction of the wolfhammers is beyond the shimanos and even lakes, in terms of insulation and construction, approaching an alpine boot, but the point remains, if you are going to use flat pedals, you are better off with the normal hiking/pack/trail boots designed for those conditions, much better value as far as loft/waterproof to dollar ratio. If you HAVE to ride spds, the wolfhammers are the best choice. If you're buying the shimano's because you can't afford the wolfhammers, your feet are going to be quite cold (assuming you actually needed the WHs in the first place).

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

Shimano MW80 + BBB arctic duty shoe cover keeps me warm to -20 degree celcius. Any colder best to just stay indoors.

dumb ass
    ..... If you WANT to ride spds, the wolfhammers are the best choice.
    changed this for you....
    Baby seal walks into a club.

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr©™ View Post
    changed this for you....
    I have never understood why the flats riders have such an issue with those of us who prefer to ride clipped in.
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    I have never understood why the flats riders have such an issue with those of us who prefer to ride clipped in.
    I think its a subset of people who spend too much time on this forum. You also see this kind of thing in tubless vs. non-tubless, tire size, anything that someone can latch onto as evidence they are doing it better than you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
    Seems like a pretty harsh tone considering this seems to be just one instance of this kind of failure and the guy hasn't even heard back from the company.
    I had the exact same thing happen, even the stitching coming out in the same place, as did the guy I ride with. The other guy got a replacement pair but I stalled about emailing and was told to try again in the summer as "They did not make enough boots for the amount of warranty issues they had this past year and there are literally no boots to be had right now". The boots show promise, but for the $345 we paid we really hoped for more. I really wanted to wear them on the ITI but I can't trust the stitching.

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

My pair from last year came unglued, too. "Lucky" for me, my zippers also failed on both boots. So, I got a new pair of the V2 under warranty. No problems so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45North Wolvhammer-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392573019.534727.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr©™ View Post
    changed this for you....
    Well, I use SPDs 95% of the time. When the temp dips down I go back to flats, but the reason has nothing to do with "snow clearing". I find that in the temps I ride, pedals do not pack up with snow. When it gets into the upper 20s and low 30s, then they start packing up. Still, just a good kick on the pedal is usually all it takes in those situations to allow for clipping back in, so it becomes a non-issue.

The issue is that there's a metal cleat positioned close to your foot, which is connected to a metal pedal, which is connected to a metal crank, which is connected to a metal spindle, and so on. This creates a huge heat-sink and all the heat generated by your foot goes to heating up the cleat and pedal, but when it's cold, mother nature wins.

The one thing that would solve this, adequate space/insulation between your foot and the SPD cleat, is usually the one thing that is lacking in any winter SPD design. Sure, it will put your foot a little higher up, decrease the feel a bit, probably make pedaling ever so slightly less efficient, whatever, but it seems to be the one thing most shoe manufacturers refuse to do The Lakes and WHs get a bit more distance and space inbetween there, which helps immensely. Still, I find when it's down to the single digits and colder, the heat-sink on the Lakes wins and I either have to use my heated insoles or just go to flats, which tends to be a little easier and more accommodating for cold temps (can get 15 degrees of variance for a relatively small distance and time period). This is why the WHs are the best if you plan to only use SPDs, as they maximize all the features that will help to keep the cold out, it's just that I can't justify the cost of $350 boots when I already need something like the Lakes for the transition season and good boots (that I can use for other things) cost far less, even with a good set of flat pedals.

dumb ass
    I ride times 100%. never learned how to ride flats. my knees like being clipped in.
    single digit and below temps have been great w/ the wh boots. no cold tootsies. no arch pain/cramps from the flexy soles on my lakes (an v1 pair...)

this is why we have many choices of tires/footwear/etc. don't assume. don't generalize...
    Baby seal walks into a club.

Anchorage, AK
    I never heard back from 45 North, but I took the boot to the local shoe repair shop and the cobbler glued it back together for $10. We'll see how long it lasts.
    --Peace

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I never heard back from 45 North, but I took the boot to the local shoe repair shop and the cobbler glued it back together for $10. We'll see how long it lasts.
    I heard from 45North today. Very nice email. They offered to fix the boots and send me a hat for my trouble.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have owned these Wolfhammers for only a couple of months now but they have been top notch so far. In deep snow, deep slush and puddles, in 15 degrees F and all good with warmth and dryness so far. Happy.
    I have too many bikes, but it's not enough

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I bought these boots.

Do not wear these boots for daily commuting.

1) They leak from the cleat. If there is water or slush, in 20 minutes, your feet will be wet.

2) The zipper is hell to close and it's a matter of time before I break it. It takes me every day 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening to get these boots on. It's a very frustrating experience.

If you are just doing some fat bike riding on the weekends, they are adequate. If however you plan to use these as a daily commuter during the winter, avoid at all costs. For the price they are definitely NOT worth the money.

I emailed them last week, no reply.

Huge mistake buying these boots. I didn't do my due diligence and now I am paying for it. I should have read up more.

Don't make the same mistake as me. Avoid these boots.

mtbr member
    My first pair was replaced for the soles coming apart. Vibram failed to actually put glue on the plastic side. Then a month ago when finishing the Iceman Race the zipper came apart and trapped my foot. Took me a half an hour to free my foot. Afterwards they were returned for store credit. Currently using Gaurneas. Glad we didn't have icy conditions. Would really be bad if my foot ever broke through ice into water and having my foot trapped. I have Keens and platforms once it gets real cold and the snow gets deep.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I assume the store ate the loss ?

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

I think at there price point of close to $400 it sets the precedent for consumers to have real high expectations. Any sub standards are going to be criticized that much more. The last time I looked at the boots at the LBS they looked good but not worth $400 in my opinion. That's what happens though when there are such limited selections of winter specific footwear. Beside Lake 45nrth really does not have any competition in the warm boot/ clipless compatible category. So really and unfortunately consumers are left with take it or leave it sorta deal until more brands can come up with fatbike cold weather winter footwear options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin_ View Post
    I assume the store ate the loss ?
    Sorry about that, should have said warranty refund. I made another purchase and left the balance as store credit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I was under the impression they would only replace the boots not refund.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just received my 2015 warranty replacement (from a 2014 version) - some initial thoughts.

1) 2015's feel much "fleecier" inside. Understand they've changed some of the materials this year.
    2) Cleat position is slightly different. 2015 at the furthest aft setting is more forward than the 2014.
    3) The zipper on the 2015 is much much beefier (point of failure on my 2014).
    4) 2015 sole tread is less aggressive, and more flexible when walking.
    5) Different rear design on 2015. They've gone away from the vertical reflective strip, opting for a smaller patch. The loop on the back is also gone.
    6) Cleat cover included if you're running flat pedals.
    7) No more velcro pull tab on the zipper
    8) Inner boot draw string hardware is different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast