Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anchorage, AK

45North Wolvhammer

I love my Wolvenhammers, but this is pretty disappointing after only one-and-a-half seasons:

45North Wolvhammer-img00491.jpg
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Same sole as the Lakes, right? I've never seen this before in a Lake. Although I don't use either, a friend has been using them (Lakes) for a few years now, commuting everyday, and this hasn't been a problem for him.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    Same sole as the Lakes, right? I've never seen this before in a Lake. Although I don't use either, a friend has been using them (Lakes) for a few years now, commuting everyday, and this hasn't been a problem for him.
    The sole looks similar, but I don't know if the glue is the same. I have boots that are twenty years old that this has not happened to. I am very disappointed.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did you use them for walking? If so...that may void your warranty.

That better not f'in happen to my boots. For the premium price them sons-o-biches better last longer then the bubble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    And just when I thought that I might want a pair, reality sets in.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Please call 45nrth or shoot them an email w a pic. They have very good customer service. Maybe you have already tried this?

aka bOb
    And be very careful to never say anything bad about 45nrth, they will haunt you. You would think that telling them that one or more of their products suck that they would appreciate the advice but no someone from there gets all pissy.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by ifrider2 View Post
    Please call 45nrth or shoot them an email w a pic. They have very good customer service. Maybe you have already tried this?
    Thank you for the advice. I just sent them an note at through their website linking them to this thread. I will report back on what I hear. I ride every day in Anchorage having so boots that are falling apart is not good.
    --Peace

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    And be very careful to never say anything bad about 45nrth, they will haunt you. You would think that telling them that one or more of their products suck that they would appreciate the advice but no someone from there gets all pissy.
    I still think my fasterkatt thread was what created the zipper instructional blog post. I bought Dillingers anyway, but won't buy anything from them that's not a tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Nevermind you're already on it. Good Luck...
    Climbing Builds Character

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    but won't buy anything from them that's not a tire.
    I agree and a statement like that is what got me flamed in the first place, some people just get butt hurt a little to easy. After working for over 20 years outdoors in some of the harshest environments in the lower 48 we learned long ago that zippers in boots don't last.

mtbr member

Re: 45North Wolvhammer

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    And just when I thought that I might want a pair, reality sets in.
    My thoughts exactly. I was planning on buying some this summer for next winter. Not so sure now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

45North Wolvhammer

Fasterkatts, Wolverhammers, whatever-they-are-calling-their-non-windproof-balaclavas. I've got some rim strikes I want your feedback on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm how far behind?
    Mine started to do that on the first ride. I had a flyer in my box telling me that while tread de lamination is covered by warranty, you should glue them yourself with a silicone adhesive to save you from being without them cause all they would do is glue them anyways. Should've been enough of a red flag to return them but I really wanted them to work out for me. Now I'm glueing them every other week. Serously thinking of going back to my 6 year old Lakes for my upcoming race in Alaska. At least I can carry a spare Boa with me. Not happy at all with my $325 boots.
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

45North Wolvhammer

Every other week is pretty much industry standard.

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

And the LBS wanted $400 ............

mtbr member
    May 2011

Who buys this crap?

Sorels and platforms, people. C'mon.

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

It's very simple business practice of put on a heavy price tag and people will automatically assume its great quality.
    Last edited by funnyjr; 02-15-2014 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

45North Wolvhammer

What pedals you have? Crankbrothers maybe?

Tässä on sulle mitali.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Seems like a pretty harsh tone considering this seems to be just one instance of this kind of failure and the guy hasn't even heard back from the company.

Even so, I agree these boots are too expensive. I want a pair but haven't been able to justify the expense.

I have lots of friends that are very happy with these boots. I suppose if you pay over $300 for boots you have to convince yourself they were a good purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Who buys this crap?

I have Sorels, but picked these up. Much trimmer (q-factor is wide enough with fat bikes) and much lighter. The only negative thing is that they don't have removable liners. But then, the do dry out very fast and are VERY warm.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Elitest thrill junkie
    The only reason I see to get the wolfhammers is if you HAVE to ride SPD in the most extreme conditions. If not, there are many better boots out there for approximately half the price (and cheaper on sale).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Or Shimano mw81. Great boots, very light, warm, waterproof and much less $$ then wolves.
    CRAMBA Chairman

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Or Shimano mw81. Great boots, very light, warm, waterproof and much less $$ then wolves.
    Um, no , unless you are a poser. Those are not for the same purpose as the wolfhammers. If you are riding in a place where those shimano's work, it's A, not cold, and B, a place where the 45Nth shoes would be way overkill. I'm not sure you realize what the purpose of the wolfhammer's is.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Um, no , unless you are a poser. Those are not for the same purpose as the wolfhammers. If you are riding in a place where those shimano's work, it's A, not cold, and B, a place where the 45Nth shoes would be way overkill. I'm not sure you realize what the purpose of the wolfhammer's is.
    Yeah, guess not. 0° f and sometimes lower night rides aren't that cold. I'm sure everyone here using the wolves must be riding - 30°f.

This past January we had daily temps in the negatives real temp, not wind chill bs. My feet were just fine.

I also have been trudging through snow almost to my waist no issue at all with the these.

Please tell me your experience with the mw81s.
    CRAMBA Chairman

osv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the post. I just looked at mine, and they are coming unglued in the same spot.

mtbr member
    I use Northwave Artics. And although they are pretty warm down to the mid-teens F, and probably close to the same as the Shimano MW81 (or maybe warmer...see the second last paragraph in this review), I assume the Wolvhammers are intended to be used in much colder conditions.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, guess not. 0° f and sometimes lower night rides aren't that cold. I'm sure everyone here using the wolves must be riding - 30°f.

This past January we had daily temps in the negatives real temp, not wind chill bs. My feet were just fine.

I also have been trudging through snow almost to my waist no issue at all with the these.

Please tell me your experience with the mw81s.
    It was zero and slightly below on 3 of my commutes this week. It's plenty cold here

mtbr member

It was zero and slightly below on 3 of my commutes this week. It's plenty cold here
    Are you in Alaska Anchorage area jayem? Funny our metro Detroit temps have been colder than you guys this year. It's been brutal, but still a fun time. Snow is packed nicely on the trails.
    Commute? No way. Not for me! Got me there.
    CRAMBA Chairman

I'm how far behind?
    [QUOTE=Jayem;11003344]The only reason I see to get the wolfhammers is if you HAVE to ride SPD in the most extreme conditions. [T/QUOTE]

Unfortunately these are not extreme condition boots unless you buy them at least 2 full sizes bigger, just like the Lakes. They are rated to 0 ANC that seems pretty much spit on without multiple socks and a vapor barrier. I would pay twice as much for a real boot that fits and goes to -30 or so.
    Fatter than most.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are you in Alaska Anchorage area jayem? Funny our metro Detroit temps have been colder than you guys this year. It's been brutal, but still a fun time. Snow is packed nicely on the trails.
    Commute? No way. Not for me! Got me there.
    Maybe, the coldest commutes have started at -15 or so, but I never count wind-chill, so could be much "colder" I suppose. Been commuting just about every day this winter. It's much easier in the morning vs the afternoon/evening for me, even though it's usually colder.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post

Unfortunately these are not extreme condition boots unless you buy them at least 2 full sizes bigger, just like the Lakes. They are rated to 0 ANC that seems pretty much spit on without multiple socks and a vapor barrier. I would pay twice as much for a real boot that fits and goes to -30 or so.
    Well, you learn pretty early on to buy winter boots at least a size bigger, I got some north-face ones that I bought at my "size" and they were ridiculous while wearing any kind of winter sock. The other issue though is that a big huge insulated boot becomes a heat-sink too, in constant contact with the cold, it can be difficult to keep feet warm even with the heaviest "insulated" boot in the world. That said, the shimano boots are simply transition-season boots for most places except the South, they are just not "boot-like" enough. I have the lakes too and they at least bridge the gap a little better, taking me into the teens. Below that I break out the big-honking boots that can take thick socks because I bought them bigger and wider than what I usually wear. I can also go "thin" in said boots if it's not too cold. After a while you start ignoring what something might be "rated" to, differences in circulation, age, insulating techniques, riding technique, and so on, make a lot more difference and affect the ridable temperature range. The construction of the wolfhammers is beyond the shimanos and even lakes, in terms of insulation and construction, approaching an alpine boot, but the point remains, if you are going to use flat pedals, you are better off with the normal hiking/pack/trail boots designed for those conditions, much better value as far as loft/waterproof to dollar ratio. If you HAVE to ride spds, the wolfhammers are the best choice. If you're buying the shimano's because you can't afford the wolfhammers, your feet are going to be quite cold (assuming you actually needed the WHs in the first place).

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

Shimano MW80 + BBB arctic duty shoe cover keeps me warm to -20 degree celcius. Any colder best to just stay indoors.

dumb ass
    ..... If you WANT to ride spds, the wolfhammers are the best choice.
    changed this for you....
    Baby seal walks into a club.

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr©™ View Post
    changed this for you....
    I have never understood why the flats riders have such an issue with those of us who prefer to ride clipped in.
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    I have never understood why the flats riders have such an issue with those of us who prefer to ride clipped in.
    I think its a subset of people who spend too much time on this forum. You also see this kind of thing in tubless vs. non-tubless, tire size, anything that someone can latch onto as evidence they are doing it better than you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
    Seems like a pretty harsh tone considering this seems to be just one instance of this kind of failure and the guy hasn't even heard back from the company.
    I had the exact same thing happen, even the stitching coming out in the same place, as did the guy I ride with. The other guy got a replacement pair but I stalled about emailing and was told to try again in the summer as "They did not make enough boots for the amount of warranty issues they had this past year and there are literally no boots to be had right now". The boots show promise, but for the $345 we paid we really hoped for more. I really wanted to wear them on the ITI but I can't trust the stitching.

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

My pair from last year came unglued, too. "Lucky" for me, my zippers also failed on both boots. So, I got a new pair of the V2 under warranty. No problems so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45North Wolvhammer-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392573019.534727.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr©™ View Post
    changed this for you....
    Well, I use SPDs 95% of the time. When the temp dips down I go back to flats, but the reason has nothing to do with "snow clearing". I find that in the temps I ride, pedals do not pack up with snow. When it gets into the upper 20s and low 30s, then they start packing up. Still, just a good kick on the pedal is usually all it takes in those situations to allow for clipping back in, so it becomes a non-issue.

The issue is that there's a metal cleat positioned close to your foot, which is connected to a metal pedal, which is connected to a metal crank, which is connected to a metal spindle, and so on. This creates a huge heat-sink and all the heat generated by your foot goes to heating up the cleat and pedal, but when it's cold, mother nature wins.

The one thing that would solve this, adequate space/insulation between your foot and the SPD cleat, is usually the one thing that is lacking in any winter SPD design. Sure, it will put your foot a little higher up, decrease the feel a bit, probably make pedaling ever so slightly less efficient, whatever, but it seems to be the one thing most shoe manufacturers refuse to do The Lakes and WHs get a bit more distance and space inbetween there, which helps immensely. Still, I find when it's down to the single digits and colder, the heat-sink on the Lakes wins and I either have to use my heated insoles or just go to flats, which tends to be a little easier and more accommodating for cold temps (can get 15 degrees of variance for a relatively small distance and time period). This is why the WHs are the best if you plan to only use SPDs, as they maximize all the features that will help to keep the cold out, it's just that I can't justify the cost of $350 boots when I already need something like the Lakes for the transition season and good boots (that I can use for other things) cost far less, even with a good set of flat pedals.

dumb ass
    I ride times 100%. never learned how to ride flats. my knees like being clipped in.
    single digit and below temps have been great w/ the wh boots. no cold tootsies. no arch pain/cramps from the flexy soles on my lakes (an v1 pair...)

this is why we have many choices of tires/footwear/etc. don't assume. don't generalize...
    Baby seal walks into a club.

Anchorage, AK
    I never heard back from 45 North, but I took the boot to the local shoe repair shop and the cobbler glued it back together for $10. We'll see how long it lasts.
    --Peace

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I never heard back from 45 North, but I took the boot to the local shoe repair shop and the cobbler glued it back together for $10. We'll see how long it lasts.
    I heard from 45North today. Very nice email. They offered to fix the boots and send me a hat for my trouble.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have owned these Wolfhammers for only a couple of months now but they have been top notch so far. In deep snow, deep slush and puddles, in 15 degrees F and all good with warmth and dryness so far. Happy.
    I have too many bikes, but it's not enough

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I bought these boots.

Do not wear these boots for daily commuting.

1) They leak from the cleat. If there is water or slush, in 20 minutes, your feet will be wet.

2) The zipper is hell to close and it's a matter of time before I break it. It takes me every day 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening to get these boots on. It's a very frustrating experience.

If you are just doing some fat bike riding on the weekends, they are adequate. If however you plan to use these as a daily commuter during the winter, avoid at all costs. For the price they are definitely NOT worth the money.

I emailed them last week, no reply.

Huge mistake buying these boots. I didn't do my due diligence and now I am paying for it. I should have read up more.

Don't make the same mistake as me. Avoid these boots.

mtbr member
    My first pair was replaced for the soles coming apart. Vibram failed to actually put glue on the plastic side. Then a month ago when finishing the Iceman Race the zipper came apart and trapped my foot. Took me a half an hour to free my foot. Afterwards they were returned for store credit. Currently using Gaurneas. Glad we didn't have icy conditions. Would really be bad if my foot ever broke through ice into water and having my foot trapped. I have Keens and platforms once it gets real cold and the snow gets deep.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I assume the store ate the loss ?

mtbr member

45North Wolvhammer

I think at there price point of close to $400 it sets the precedent for consumers to have real high expectations. Any sub standards are going to be criticized that much more. The last time I looked at the boots at the LBS they looked good but not worth $400 in my opinion. That's what happens though when there are such limited selections of winter specific footwear. Beside Lake 45nrth really does not have any competition in the warm boot/ clipless compatible category. So really and unfortunately consumers are left with take it or leave it sorta deal until more brands can come up with fatbike cold weather winter footwear options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin_ View Post
    I assume the store ate the loss ?
    Sorry about that, should have said warranty refund. I made another purchase and left the balance as store credit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I was under the impression they would only replace the boots not refund.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just received my 2015 warranty replacement (from a 2014 version) - some initial thoughts.

1) 2015's feel much "fleecier" inside. Understand they've changed some of the materials this year.
    2) Cleat position is slightly different. 2015 at the furthest aft setting is more forward than the 2014.
    3) The zipper on the 2015 is much much beefier (point of failure on my 2014).
    4) 2015 sole tread is less aggressive, and more flexible when walking.
    5) Different rear design on 2015. They've gone away from the vertical reflective strip, opting for a smaller patch. The loop on the back is also gone.
    6) Cleat cover included if you're running flat pedals.
    7) No more velcro pull tab on the zipper
    8) Inner boot draw string hardware is different.

vermonter
    to solve leaking around SPD pedals i like to punch a couple holes in a square of old inner tube and put them under the plate in the shoe that the cleat screws into...works for me...but i ride flats in the snow :P
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!

aka bOb
    I've been trying to get Keen to make a clipless boot forever but they just won't listen. Obviously they don't know who I am

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

The issue is that there's a metal cleat positioned close to your foot, which is connected to a metal pedal, which is connected to a metal crank, which is connected to a metal spindle, and so on. This creates a huge heat-sink and all the heat generated by your foot goes to heating up the cleat and pedal, but when it's cold, mother nature wins.

The one thing that would solve this, adequate space/insulation between your foot and the SPD cleat, is usually the one thing that is lacking in any winter SPD design. Sure, it will put your foot a little higher up, decrease the feel a bit, probably make pedaling ever so slightly less efficient, whatever, but it seems to be the one thing most shoe manufacturers refuse to do The Lakes and WHs get a bit more distance and space inbetween there, which helps immensely. Still, I find when it's down to the single digits and colder, the heat-sink on the Lakes wins and I either have to use my heated insoles or just go to flats, which tends to be a little easier and more accommodating for cold temps (can get 15 degrees of variance for a relatively small distance and time period). This is why the WHs are the best if you plan to only use SPDs, as they maximize all the features that will help to keep the cold out, it's just that I can't justify the cost of $350 boots when I already need something like the Lakes for the transition season and good boots (that I can use for other things) cost far less, even with a good set of flat pedals.
    I'm on the fence about these boots (the WH's and the Lake 303's) or flats and Sorel type boots. I hear what you are saying Jayem about the heat sink affect of the cleat, crank etc... a concern I have been thinking of as well and am wondering if the fleece/wool type insole that has the foil on the bottom would help not sure if either Lake or WH come with those insoles.

Luckily for me I can get both brands at cost, but regardless the price is still a good pill to swallow. After reading these thoughts and what has been happening with some of the WH's, I'm leaning towards the Lakes as a transition boot till it gets stupid cold and if I still want to ride then I'll either go with flats and winter boots or put some wood in the woodstove and ride my rollers in the workshop and watch movies.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have them and so far they have been amazing. Having said that it has not gotten bitter yet, but we had a few inches on snow on the ground and after a three hour ride, my feet were not cold at all.

Very comfortable, well made, light enough and the cleats worked great, even in the snow (Time Atac pedals).

Money well spent

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by reynoldseight5three View Post
    to solve leaking around SPD pedals i like to punch a couple holes in a square of old inner tube and put them under the plate in the shoe that the cleat screws into...works for me...but i ride flats in the snow :P

Thanks! That's not a bad idea. The thinking is the water gets in via the screws ? That makes sense. I will try that..

Really disappointed in these boots. I was using a pair of Sidi Gore shoes with some Gore Tex booties. When it was soaking wet out, my feet got wet.. but I knew that going in.

What gets me with these boots is the price and the claim they are waterproof. They are not waterproof. Not even close.

I'd have to replace the Gore-Tex booties every two years but the Sidis lasted close to 10..And I could get them on and off easily. These Wolvhammer's are leaky, expensive and poorly made overall and takes forever to put on. Oh and to add insult to injury, if the Wolvhammers do get wet (and they will) it takes FOREVER for them to dry. I had to put them in a dryer for 90 minutes for them to actually dry out.

After riding through Montreal winters now for close to 10 years I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth spending the money on something that claims to be THE solution. You are better off trying to mix and match based on the conditions. This way you always have an option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just spoke with my LBS. They are going to swap these out for a pair of Lake boots instead.

Really cool of them.

So I am DONE with these boots. Good fricking riddance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    I'm on the fence about these boots (the WH's and the Lake 303's) or flats and Sorel type boots. I hear what you are saying Jayem about the heat sink affect of the cleat, crank etc... a concern I have been thinking of as well and am wondering if the fleece/wool type insole that has the foil on the bottom would help not sure if either Lake or WH come with those insoles.

Luckily for me I can get both brands at cost, but regardless the price is still a good pill to swallow. After reading these thoughts and what has been happening with some of the WH's, I'm leaning towards the Lakes as a transition boot till it gets stupid cold and if I still want to ride then I'll either go with flats and winter boots or put some wood in the woodstove and ride my rollers in the workshop and watch movies.
    I received a pair of the Lake 303's and must say I really like the quality of the boot, the leather, thermal insole, etc. HOWEVER, order up a size and if you have a "normal" foot get the WIDE width as well. I sized up (which worked) but the boots were too narrow for my normal width foot. Tight toes = cold toes, so I had to send them back. I got a sweet price on them too, but now the wide in my size are out of stock. :-(
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info - I had someone stop in this morning with a pair of the 45N Fasterkratt in a sz 13 (I'm normally a 10.5-11) and they are pretty big, but thought if I was to wear some real thick socks they would still be big, but with room to breath. Still leaning towards the 303's though, and with your suggestion will order the wide if I do. I have an old pair of Lake mtn bike shoes from years ago and do recall them being a bit narrow.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    HOWEVER, order up a size and if you have a "normal" foot get the WIDE width as well.
    Would recommend ordering up more than just one size. 1.5 or so is a good starting point. That way things like boot-heaters if you ever choose to use them will fit, etc. Thick socks will work well, your feet/toes won't be pressed up or forward.

The lakes run a bit small, bit smaller than normal IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Would recommend ordering up more than just one size. 1.5 or so is a good starting point. That way thinks like boot-heaters if you ever choose to use them will fit, etc. Thick socks will work well, your feet/toes won't be pressed up or forward.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Would recommend ordering up more than just one size. 1.5 or so is a good starting point. That way things like boot-heaters if you ever choose to use them will fit, etc. Thick socks will work well, your feet/toes won't be pressed up or forward.

The lakes run a bit small, bit smaller than normal IMO.

I second that.

I just walked out of the shop with a pair of 45's. I normally wear 43 in Sidi Gaerne and 45nrth.. 44 would have been ok with thin socks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Loving mine.

45nrth Wolvhammer by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Going to run em with flats for snow, but so far clipping in has been OK. Not great. Warm. Sized up to add an insole or thicker socks.

Took me some time to figure out how to get them on. Have a shoe horn in the shop now. Slide on easy. Also used some zipper tech stuff on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the 2014-2015 Wolvhammer boots and I absolutely love them. My guess is that the redesign for this season made a significant impact on the durability. Time will tell as the season progresses, but for now I am very happy with my purchase.

On another note-- I just had a situation where I had an issue with a $50 45NRTH product. I contacted the company and they are taking care of me. In my experience their customer service is top notch, and I have great appreciation for the products of theirs that I own. For what it is worth. . .

Peace and goodwill to all, this holiday season. . .

mtbr member

Lakes Still Too Small

So I had sent my Lake 303's (size 44) back as they were too narrow. (I wear a US size 9.5)

I re-ordered the 44 Wide and it was still to narrow for my regular width foot. Maybe a 45 Wide would work, but I am done with Lake.

I spend the extra $$ and stepped up to the 45NRTH Wolvhammers in a 44 and they fit great. My "highly qualified" analysis believes that the Wolvhammers will be warmer as well.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    I've used mine for two rides and like them so far. Very comfy and warm on my usually cold feet. So far no sole separation but I'll keep an eye out for that.

I bought mine a month ago at a LBS and assume they are the V2 or newest model. Can anyone tell me how I can tell for sure?

The one thing that does bug me a bit is the lack of Velcro closure on the indicated area. It never does stay closed.
    "bmike" I swiped your picture, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prebonked View Post
    I've used mine for two rides and like them so far. Very comfy and warm on my usually cold feet. So far no sole separation but I'll keep an eye out for that.

I bought mine a month ago at a LBS and assume they are the V2 or newest model. Can anyone tell me how I can tell for sure?

The one thing that does bug me a bit is the lack of Velcro closure on the indicated area. It never does stay closed.
    "bmike" I swiped your picture, thanks
    bugs me too, but so far, it hasn't been an issue. i figure if i'm going somewhere where i need to walk in deep snow or fjord a creek... (and risk not taking off my boots...) - then i better be bringing the gaiters, which should cover that spot.

they do need a bit more velcro or more fabric there. something not quite right.

worse, for me, is that after i pulled the clipless cleats off and put the plugs back in, i'm still getting snow gathering in the middle of the boot.

Even without cleats my shoes are filling up with snow and ice. by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Cut the big rubber "Wolvhammer" tab off and sew the very bottom of the Velcro flap shut, no more open flap. I also filled the V1 traction spike holes with silicone, new ones don't have them. I use a VB and so I waterproofed them on the outside, it's a great boot now. Also, try some dielectric grease on the zipper if it is tough to pull.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    Cut the big rubber "Wolvhammer" tab off and sew the very bottom of the Velcro flap shut, no more open flap. I also filled the V1 traction spike holes with silicone, new ones don't have them. I use a VB and so I waterproofed them on the outside, it's a great boot now. Also, try some dielectric grease on the zipper if it is tough to pull.
    Mine are waterproof. Can confirm after that recent overnight. I have some zipper tech stuff from the local gear shop. Worked great.
    Last edited by bmike; 12-29-2014 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I got 3 rides out of mine. After reading about the weak zippers, I knew to be easy on them. One zipper split and the zipper came off on one side. On the other shoe the zipper ripped apart at the bottom. The velcro flap wont stay closed when walking in deep snow either. The bottom lip keeps pushing up and filling up with snow. Poor, poor design. A snap on the flap would be nice.

Im sorry, but I am SUPER disappointed in these shoes. They are no where worth the price. I will be converting my old set of Danner Boots to spd.

They are warm and keep my feet dry when the Velcro will stay closed and zipper doesn't pull apart.

Do not buy these shoes. I sent a email to 45North and Ill let ya know what they do about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wow, I have had the complete opposite experience. Mine are amazing, I have no issues at all. They fit great, keep me warm and dry, and are very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Same here- while expensive and a little tricky to put on- they more than make up for it in comfort and warmth
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
    Wow, I have had the complete opposite experience. Mine are amazing, I have no issues at all. They fit great, keep me warm and dry, and are very comfortable.
    Does your Velcro flap lift up when walking through snow like the pic posted above?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Does your Velcro flap lift up when walking through snow like the pic posted above?
    I run the gaiters with them most of the time so haven't had that issue.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Who buys this crap?

Best decision I ever made. My winter rides have increased from 30 minutes to 2+ hours.

mtbr member
    No one said they weren't warm and comfy. The zippers are just plain weak. I was super careful with mine after reading up on them. I got them zipped up no problem. Then looked down and the zipper was pulled apart. I wish they were just laces.

aka bOb
    From new my left one has one spot in the zipper that is very difficult to get past, on or off the foot.

mtbr member
    Real nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45North Wolvhammer-img_1688%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lube/wax the zippers and run them up and down several times...it's definitely resulted in a night/day difference in both the Wolvs and Katts...and has lasted several months without issue. YMMV

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Lube/wax the zippers and run them up and down several times...it's definitely resulted in a night/day difference in both the Wolvs and Katts...and has lasted several months without issue. YMMV
    It doesn't fix the sole.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    And it didn't help my left zipper, there is just a weird alignment issue going on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I love my Wolvenhammers, but this is pretty disappointing after only one-and-a-half seasons:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00491.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	869513
    looks like a job for shoe goo. i have extended the life of several pairs of mtb shoes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Real nice.
    warranty?

45North guarantees its products against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of twenty-four (24) months from the original date of purchase, subject to the limitations below. The proof of purchase date is the one that is specified on the retail sales receipt issued by the authorized 45North dealer. This warranty does not cover the following:

Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assembler
    Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
    Damage or deterioration to the surface finish, aesthetics or appearance of the product
    Normal wear and tear
    Minimal loss of studs on studded tires (it is common to lose 5-10 studs under normal use)
    Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly

Rue
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There is definitely a design flaw in the latest model with respect to the zippers. That is clear from multiple reports. It may not affect ALL, but it's a specific complaint by too many people to be insignificant.

Warm and comfy? Yes.

Design flaw? Yes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    warranty?
    I bought them from someone else that bought the wrong size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I bought them from someone else that bought the wrong size.
    Get the receipt from them. Or call 45nrth. That looks like a Vibram defect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Get the receipt from them. Or call 45nrth. That looks like a Vibram defect.
    I emailed 45Nrth and they said they wont do anything, since I didn't buy them from a shop.

mtbr member
    I emailed 45Nrth and they said they wont do anything, since I didn't buy them from a shop.
    You could try repairing them, I posted a detailed analysis on how to repair the soles here: Wolvhammer repair

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I hope 45N reads this thread. You guys are providing very valuable feedback.

What I want to see is the incorporation of ice cleats throughout the sole. They should replaceable. Add that and I'll consider buying.

mtbr member
    You shouldn't have to fix a $325 biking shoe. Its completely ridiculous that this happens after 3-5 rides. The sole and zippers are complete garbage IMO.

45North should be ashamed to sell such a POS.

I should post the email I got from them telling me to run them with broken zippers... and how no one will know their broke except me. Also, how I should just NOT run them in cold temperatures.

mtbr member
    You shouldn't have to fix a $325 biking shoe. Its completely ridiculous that this happens after 3-5 rides. The sole and zippers are complete garbage IMO.

I should post the email I got from them telling me to run them with broken zippers... and how no one will know their broke except me. Also, how I should just NOT run them in cold temperatures.
    Could not agree more.

mtbr member
    I should post the email I got from them telling me to run them with broken zippers... and how no one will know their broke except me. Also, how I should just NOT run them in cold temperatures.[/QUOTE]

Please do, my head would explode if someone told me that and I wouldn't feel bad about blabbing on the Internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailnimal View Post
    What I want to see is the incorporation of ice cleats throughout the sole. They should replaceable. Add that and I'll consider buying.
    What is funny is that in the newest model, they removed what ice cleats were in the boot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I hear ya that you are having trouble and are unhappy with these boots, but I'm extremely happy myself. No leaks, no zipper problems, no cold feet, no snow buildup on bottom, etc. They fit like a glove, are comfortable to wear and I find myself out for hours in the falling snow instead of under an hour. I don't want to come in! Also I have put some studs in the bottom of the boots in a few places to make sure I don't slip on the ice. I ride flat pedals by the way. I know these are expensive boots but I'm glad I spent the $.

mtbr member

When you buy used, you should be prepared to pay to fix it, no matter what it is. Does a used Ferrari with an expired warranty mean that Ferrari should fix it, just because the car is expensive? By your logic, yes.

What can the company do that would win back your trust? Send out a new pair of boots to someone who didn't even buy from them in the first place? Say that out loud once. What other industry would you possibly expect that to happen?

As for your email, I highly doubt that customer support told you to not run them in the cold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I'm going to put my JERK hat on for a minute....

But I wouldn't spend $325 on a pair of boots that are known to be plagued with problems knowing the warranty is no longer valid.

*Disclaim* Bought mine from a LBS - zipper exploded on first ride. Were replaced with latest generation model with improved zipper and better construction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    so you bought the shoes USED and you are complaining that a manufacturer won't fix things for you - or even give you new replacement boots? huh? really? wow, like Rain100 said, you are on your own.

mtbr member
    I was thinking seriously about the Wolvhammer but after reading this thread and hearing one or two other negatives, I've decided not to bother.

I think there's a more 'all-encompassing' aspect of the customer service and warranty issue being discussed here. I'm not suggesting businesses should pick up the tab and just replace something that isn't covered by a legitimate warranty. But I am saying they might consider some type of compromise - perhaps offer to pay for a repair, or provide some coupon towards a new pair, or at least step up and make some kind of statement on the issue. Yes, there may be a direct cost involved, but it will be a lot less then the indirect cost incurred through this type of negative feedback.

Also, regarding this 'hot' comment "You shouldn't have to fix a $325 biking shoe. Its completely ridiculous that this happens after 3-5 rides. The sole and zippers are complete garbage IMO"

I don't think the poster is saying that he expects the warranty to cover him, I think he's saying that an expensive shoe should not be failing after 3-5 rides. How anyone can disagree with that simple statement is beyond me. How it gets repaired and by whom is a different issue.

Good luck with yer boots!
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    I just want to see the email. Anyway, I have many hundreds of hours in my Wolvhammers without anything falling apart. They are warm and comfortable and although I've done quite a bit of fiddling with them that's typical for me and the things I own. I recommend them.

mtbr member
    IMO, the sole isn't garbage. I am a fan of vibram, but the area around the cleat isn't perfect.

Unclipping before mods by Evan.Feekes, on Flickr

This is a series of pictures I took of unclipping with my initial cleat placement. The rear retainer is clearly hitting the sole while I unclip from the pedal. I think vibram should have provided more clearance for this type of pedal when designing the sole. In fact, the 2015 wolvhammers look to incorporate just that.

If you look through this thread, all of the soles that have come unglued at least started around this area of the boot. It's clear that during initial setup, care needs to be taken to make sure that the pedal can unclip cleanly. Does that make the sole garbage? I think not.

As far as the zippers, I have not had an issue in 30+ rides, and I know some others that have used their boots all of last season without issue. You have to be careful with a thread like this because the people yelling the negatives usually dominate the discussion.

If my zippers break, I'm planning on sewing in a beefier zipper. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Rue
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

45North Wolvhammer

Quote Originally Posted by trailnimal View Post

I incorporated my own, and they're replaceable. The resemblance to galvanized sheet metal screws is merely coincidental.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast