mtbr member
    Jun 2008

45 North 4.8' Escalator????????????????

wondering if this can become a reality with the potential of a 4.8" tire weighing around 1300-1350 grams?????

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Or 4.5-4.8 Husker Du.

If this is happening I would expect frostbike to be the place where they would be announced and they would be available for 2.1 seconds this time next year.

mtbr member
    Iím pretty sure they have some sort of no compete arrangement with Surly. Not sure for how long, but when itís up Iím sure 4.8 45 n tires will follow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Aren't Surly and 45NRTH both owned by QPB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
    Aren't Surly and 45NRTH both owned by QPB?
    +1 - same company along with Salsa, etc... At some point every company you buy bike stuff will be a QBP company

Having said that I am sure they meet up and plan product development so that they aren't selling exactly the same stuff. 45N put out a bunch of new stuff this year. They can only tackle so many projects each cycle.

I guess that's the equivalent to a non-compete agreement.

It also depends on how many 5" tires get sold this year. They'll judge the market for new 5" tires based on what's happening with BFLs/Bud/Lou's.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Iím pretty sure they have some sort of no compete arrangement with Surly. Not sure for how long, but when itís up Iím sure 4.8 45 n tires will follow.
    Wouldn't that mean that 45Nrth shouldn't be making fatbike tires at all?
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    It means 45Nrth is making tires that other bike manufacturers can spec on their bikes without having another bike company's name on their product...i.e.-How would it look if Trek had some outstanding new downhill rig with "SPECALIZED Big Hit" emblazoned on the sidewalls?

I'd suspect that 45Nrth will have a few more tire offerings...maybe even swallow up some or most of Surly's offerings...in the name of efficiency, streamlining the product line, concentrating on refining the art of overbuilt steel...whatever...I can't see them admitting it was to make it easier for QBP to sell tires to Trek, Special'ed, Kona or whomever...but when it happens, please feel free to shower me with positive rep...it's what I live for...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    It means 45Nrth is making tires that other bike manufacturers can spec on their bikes without having another bike company's name on their product...i.e.-How would it look if Trek had some outstanding new downhill rig with "SPECALIZED Big Hit" emblazoned on the sidewalls?

I'd suspect that 45Nrth will have a few more tire offerings...maybe even swallow up some or most of Surly's offerings...in the name of efficiency, streamlining the product line, concentrating on refining the art of overbuilt steel...whatever...I can't see them admitting it was to make it easier for QBP to sell tires to Trek, Special'ed, Kona or whomever...but when it happens, please feel free to shower me with positive rep...it's what I live for...
    I think you're onto something here.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    ...I know...all I can think about is positive rep points...

edit*-Oh...you mean my tire theory...thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    to make it easier for QBP to sell tires to Trek, Special'ed, Kona or whomever...
    I'm waiting for the horror of a Big Bike Company fat bike. If what they did in other niche markets [cargo bikes, recumbents, etc...] is any indication it will be both very funny and very sad at the same time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    ...I'm not disappointed with my Trek Transport...It could have come with a better grouppo, but a full build for $1800 delivered to Alaska vs $1800 for a Dummy frameset delivered, I'm not disappointed...