mtbr member

40 gram inflator cartridge...

Genuine Innovations has a 40g cartridge that is propane rather than CO2. I read that propane does not adversely affect sealant and CO2 does. Just wondering if anyone uses these for trail side flat repair or if a 25 gram CO2 would make more sense. I don't even like to pump up a flat with my floor pump, I can't imagine how long it would take with the mini pump I carry in my bag.

mtbr member
    With a maxi-mini pump (like a topeak morph) it takes less than 10 minutes to fill up a tire hard enough to ride on summer singletrack. On snow it takes less than 3 or 4 minutes to go from "almost flat for maximum float and traction" to "hard enough to ride on plowed streets"...

Honestly the only thing that sucks about a mini-pump for fatbikes is that in the summer, you will get eaten alive by mosquitoes as you pump.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: 40 gram inflator cartridge...

Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    I can't imagine how long it would take with the mini pump I carry in my bag.
    Not that long.

Or if you're worried just buy a higher volume hand pump.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The 40g Big Air propane cartridges definitely work. They'll fill a 4" tire to around 12psi in a few seconds. Pretty sure a single 25g cartridge won't do the whole job, but it would get you part of the way there. Can't speak to the sealant question as I'm still running tubes.

mtbr member
    I've used the 25g and as smoovep mentions a single cart won't get the job done, however two carts will suffice to 7-8psi with TOOBS.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    With a maxi-mini pump (like a topeak morph) it takes less than 10 minutes to fill up a tire hard enough to ride on summer singletrack. On snow it takes less than 3 or 4 minutes to go from "almost flat for maximum float and traction" to "hard enough to ride on plowed streets"...

Honestly the only thing that sucks about a mini-pump for fatbikes is that in the summer, you will get eaten alive by mosquitoes as you pump.
    This brings back memories of a friend beating misquotes off my back with a shirt while I pump my tire up. Ah the good ol days.
    p.s. I carry a 40 now
    And I love beer!!

NMBP

Uh, no mosquitoes on my rides. And no flats on any of my summer rides.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I hate you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Definitely brings back less than fond memories. I've been eaten alive in this same situation with a buddy standing over my back smacking the crap out of the little blood suckers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have had it go wrong in the past with two 25g cartridges in my saddle bag. I got a puncture, used one and a half cartridges to blow up the tyre and the patch never held properly.... it was a phone call, a walk and a car ride home. Luckily I was not that far away, I now carry a Crank Bros Power Pump Alloy.

I personally will only take a hand pump with me on a fat bike from now on..... Does not matter if it takes you 10 minutes to pump up, it will be quicker than walking 10 miles home!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    I have had it go wrong in the past with two 25g cartridges in my saddle bag. I got a puncture, used one and a half cartridges to blow up the tyre and the patch never held properly.... it was a phone call, a walk and a car ride home. Luckily I was not that far away, I now carry a Crank Bros Power Pump Alloy.

I personally will only take a hand pump with me on a fat bike from now on..... Does not matter if it takes you 10 minutes to pump up, it will be quicker than walking 10 miles home!!!
    I carry both - the pump for when I'm riding alone, and the Big Air for when I'm riding with my impatient friends.

Laramie, Wyoming
    That's cheating though.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I carry both - the pump for when I'm riding alone, and the Big Air for when I'm riding with my impatient friends.
    If they are impatient, make them pump.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If they are impatient, make them pump.
    OK, I'll try that. You'll know about it because you'll hear them laughing from 2000 miles away.