turtles make me hot

4.8 Knard in Snow. My Suspicions Were Correct.

When I built my fatty two years ago, I installed Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. The shop owner I was working for tried to talk me into Darryls but me, being the wheel builder and a Clyde, had to have the biggest and the baddest.
    Last fall, I finally wore Lou down to the nub and was ready to try something else. Enter 4.8 Knard. On singletrack, Knard-Bud on "shoes is my all time favorite combo. Even works great on the beach. No more suffer fest while my friends ride along like they're on a bike path.
    But I wondered... How would Knard stack up in the snow? Just as I suspected. Not anywhere near as good as Lou.
    I rode yesterday on snow that was not groomed but had footprints and snowshoe tracks. I've ridden this before on Bud and Lou and get through it. It's work, but it happens.
    Yesterday, with Knard on the rear, I hit the snow and probably 30% of my energy went up in lost traction.
    This was on wet, footprinted snow. I know this isn't ideal riding conditions but I have a 20 mile groomed ride coming up in a month (if there's even snow at all) and I'm thinking I should just put Lou on the bike for that.
    I was even considering Dunderbeist but I'm a big boy and maybe should just stick with Lou for the added volume as well. Thoughts?
    I like turtles

bigger than you.
    If only NewMarketRog was here to tell you how wrong you are for hating on the Knard...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I gave the 4.8" knard a go on my Mulefuts early this winter, and was very impressed with the forward traction in many different types of snow conditions. What I didn't like was the cornering traction (it drifted too much in the corners), and braking traction. But that thing could climb pretty well imho!

I would never use it as a front tire. Maybe change the title to "4.8" Knard in the snow...my suspicions were correct" to help others stay informed of knard in da snow, and how wrong rog was!

turtles make me hot
    On groomed trails last year, Lou did no wrong. Climbed everything. I would even gain on guys running Dillinger5's.
    I'm gonna mount Lou up for the snow ride. Got a new one downstairs under a break glass... Ya know... In case I need it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I tried the 4.8 knards on my blackborow 1 ride in the snow and immediatley switched back to my Lou's. Great summer hard back tire though.
    Beargrease NX1
    Titanium Warbird
    Nature Boy Disc
    Jones Diamond Frame/truss fork

Jammin' Econo
    "Keep your Knards out of the snow" is just good advice all around.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

turtles make me hot
    I'm gonna try Bud-Bud if there is still snow on the upcoming ride.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    All very good advice here. Knards are great in the summer. Not for snow though. The tread just isn't deep enough. Bud/Bud is an amazing combo. Maybe the best for least rolling resistance and most traction.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    True story!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Smithhammer again.

Bedwards Of The West
    Been there, done that...

4.8 Knard in Snow. My Suspicions Were Correct.-screen-shot-2015-12-21-9.39.27-pm.jpg

have the (ripped) t-shirt

4.8 Knard in Snow. My Suspicions Were Correct.-screen-shot-2016-01-25-1.40.07-pm.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

turtles make me hot
    Damn...

I'm only running Bud as a rear tire. That looks like it might have hurt.
    I like turtles

Bedwards Of The West
    Speed is deceiving on a downhill groomer I caught a snowmobile rut and that Knard wasn't going to claw it's way out for nobody. Rung my bell but nothing serious. Can't blame the tire though, I knew it's limits and exceeded them.

I really like the Knards... no complaints at all for an all-conditions compromise tire. you just have to realize they're not a super aggressive knobby when you're in the snow. If I had the budget I'd have a Bud/Lou winter set of tires, but I'm happy to sacrifice snow traction for much better rolling resistance and great performance on almost everything else for the rest of the year.

When I wear out the Knards I may try Bud/Bud for a more aggressive compromise. I hear good things about that set-up. But I'm in no hurry to ditch the Knards. There's 3 more seasons coming after the snowy one...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)