Anchorage, AK

3x8 with Big Fat Larry on a 100mm Rim

Has anyone tried to put a Big Fat Larry on a 100mm rim in a Mukluk with 3 chain rings up front and 8 cogs in the rear? If so, did it work and what bottom bracket and crank set did you use?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I can tell you this wouldn't work off a stock Mukluk 1 (80mm Graceful Fat Sheba rims) after moving from Larry to Big Fat Larry. The granny gear has a bit of chain rub. I moved the cassette out by one and ditched the smallest cog, and it works, but it's real close - if the tire wobbles too much, it'll rub.

The situation would be worse with 100mm rims. This is why the Origin8 super compact crankset and the Surly MWOD use two rings.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Anchorage, AK
    Drew is that using the stock bottom bracket?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Yep. Stock everything save for the swap to BFL.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a hard time believing that a fatbike rider needs the big ring when downhillers do not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I have a hard time believing that a fatbike rider needs the big ring when downhillers do not.
    Trails, no. Touring or road, then yes. I bike to an ATV trail from my house. I pretty much use the big ring to the trail. Once I hit the trail, I'm usually on the middle, sometimes small ring.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Anchorage, AK
    Ecub, yes that is correct. I want the bigger ring so that when I am not on the trails or have skinny tires on the bike is more useful.

Anchorage, AK
    I did find, at least one post that suggests a 155 Phil Wood Bottom Bracket with a 5mm offset will work with the 3X9 and the Big Fat Larry: Salsa Mukluk 2. But no one seems to have done it and I also wonder if I will have any chain alignment issues. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    With three spacers on the driveside with the e.13 you'll probably have to drop to 7 cogs in the rear. I'm running 10spd so I think I could do it with 8. But at that point I figure I might as well run an MWOD and a full cassette.

Anchorage, AK
    Thanks, Schmucker.

If I move the chainline outboard by 8-10mm will I also need a fatter front derailleur mount? Something like this: Problem Solvers.