Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    483

    36 spoke fat bike rims???

    I'm reaching out to the collective knowledge & wisdom of all who ride fat.
    My girlfriend and I both ride FATBACKs I built a few years ago.
    Both bikes were built with LARGE MARGE rims.
    I want something wider and lighter.
    The problem is that I built the wheels with Hadley hubs and LM rims with 36 spokes.
    Surly tells me that there will not be any more ROLLING DARRYL rims (w/cutouts) with 36 holes.

    I'd like something 80mm + wide and under 900 grams
    Does anyone know where I might find anything?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Reputation: JordyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,454
    Hard to fit that bill, but not impossible. I'd try tracking these down. About the only thing that's online and searchable. Unproven and never used. Might have to even start calling wheel builders, sometimes they get blank rims that can be custom drilled.

    Weinmann Metal Products Co., LTD

  3. #3
    Thumper
    Reputation: WickedLite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    379
    Drill them out yourself. There is a post on here somewhere on how to do it pretty easily. This way you can drop even more weight than the Holy RD's.

    I went crazy with my machinist and came in under 600g each. I wouldn't recommend going this crazy until I get some ride time on them.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    986
    I would suggest getting the Un Hole-y Daryl and drilling as the Weinman rims are quite a bit heavier.

    Cheers,
    Steven
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    I would suggest getting the Un Hole-y Daryl and drilling as the Weinman rims are quite a bit heavier.

    Cheers,
    Steven
    ^^^^ This

    I have the Weinmans, and while I like them, they are heavy. The double wall also annoys the crap outa me when I wash the bike. Water gets stuck in the cutouts I drilled and holds dirt. It doesn't matter for performance, it just annoys that OCPD part of me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blown240's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    920
    This mat be controversial, but Beast rims can get pretty light. I drilled mine and took the paint off and the are just under 900 grams. They are 100mm and 36 hole. For $200 you can get a pair that comes with the rest of the bike, even though the bike is basically trash without the wheels.

  7. #7
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,238
    --Peace

  8. #8
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    Rolling Darryl

    82mm wide single wall. Same 64 dual-spoke hole design as Marge Lite (now available in 72-hole for use with 36h hubs). This rim will increase the footprint of 3.8˝ tires compared to 65mm rims. Cutouts shave weight and allow your rimstrips to show through, which looks pretty cool we think. Note: Use of this rim will increase the width of your tire and may cause the chain to rub the tire in the lowest gears, so either remove a couple cogs and add some spacers behind the cassette or else get you an O.D. Crankset or some of our Mr. Whirly Offset Double chainrings. Available in 32 and 36-hole (seasonally).

    This ^^^^^^^
    I am slow therefore I am

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  10. #10
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt-Orange View Post
    Rolling Darryl

    82mm wide single wall. Same 64 dual-spoke hole design as Marge Lite (now available in 72-hole for use with 36h hubs). This rim will increase the footprint of 3.8˝ tires compared to 65mm rims. Cutouts shave weight and allow your rimstrips to show through, which looks pretty cool we think. Note: Use of this rim will increase the width of your tire and may cause the chain to rub the tire in the lowest gears, so either remove a couple cogs and add some spacers behind the cassette or else get you an O.D. Crankset or some of our Mr. Whirly Offset Double chainrings. Available in 32 and 36-hole (seasonally).

    This ^^^^^^^
    Very good (looking) news, but surly says they do not come in 36 spoke version anymore and no one has the old stock in stock

  11. #11
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    Drill them out yourself. There is a post on here somewhere on how to do it pretty easily. This way you can drop even more weight than the Holy RD's.

    I went crazy with my machinist and came in under 600g each. I wouldn't recommend going this crazy until I get some ride time on them.
    are you suggesting I buy 32 spoke rims and drill new spoke holes?

    OR, if you are suggesting I buy UNHOLY RD and drill them to make them lighter, I'm down with that if I can find the UNHOLY ones with 36 holes

  12. #12
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    I talked to surly and the 36 holes should be hear in about a month
    was going to get them for my tandem
    watch this Universal Cycles -- Surly Rolling Darryl Rim
    when they are available at universal cycles you can order them from your LBS

    cheers
    I am slow therefore I am

  13. #13
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt-Orange View Post
    I talked to surly and the 36 holes should be hear in about a month
    was going to get them for my tandem
    watch this Universal Cycles -- Surly Rolling Darryl Rim
    when they are available at universal cycles you can order them from your LBS

    cheers
    I'll keep checking back, thanks

  14. #14
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,558
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    I'll keep checking back, thanks
    I have 36h holy Rolling Darryls in stock, in black.

  15. #15
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have 36h holy Rolling Darryls in stock, in black.
    Interesting....

    I can't send you a private message,so with any luck you'll find this...
    I need 4 rims
    rolling darryls drilled for 36 spokes
    with or without cutouts

    can we do buisness? ( send me a private message)

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    156
    This is a great way to get in touch with Mike.

    Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels

  17. #17
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by DITCHMAN View Post
    This is a great way to get in touch with Mike.

    Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels
    \
    Thanks, I actually found his website earlier but I don't see a way of reaching him from it
    thanks anyway

  18. #18
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    \
    Thanks, I actually found his website earlier but I don't see a way of reaching him from it
    thanks anyway
    To contact him, click the "Place an Order" link. it takes you to a form where you can tell him what you want/need and I assume that he'll get back to you with a quote.

  19. #19
    PSYCHOLUST
    Reputation: scyule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    To contact him, click the "Place an Order" link. it takes you to a form where you can tell him what you want/need and I assume that he'll get back to you with a quote.
    Thanks

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    389
    I ordered 2 weeks ago 36h RD with holes from my local fat bike dealer, in finland.

  21. #21
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,558
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    Interesting....

    I can't send you a private message,so with any luck you'll find this...
    I need 4 rims
    rolling darryls drilled for 36 spokes
    with or without cutouts

    can we do buisness? ( send me a private message)
    Sorry, I don't use PM's for many reasons.

    You can reach me: info at lacemine29 dot com

    Cheers,

    MC

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    I heard from Surly that they have no plans to make any more 36h rims. I like 26", single wall aluminum, 80-104mm width with 36h. I can't find anything that meets these criteria. Does anybody know of any 36h, 26", 80-104mm single wall aluminum rims available? I would even settle for no holes and then drill my own.

    I have a 32h un-holey Rolling Darryl hanging on my wall that I am literally going to drill for 36h.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    I found this which is close: https://www.bicycleheaven.org/products/470059

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    509
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    Bullseye. Thanks so much! I would be willing to make my own (weight saving) cutout holes and then powder coat it black.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    Here is an aluminum option with cutout holes in black, double wall: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...115.232.JL2rwm

    or single wall:​https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...115.225.McRAtO

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    509
    26"x4" 100mm wide Rim Black Fat Bike Bicycle Chopper Beach Cruiser 36 hole | eBay

    I saw the black after posting. Nice ones from Alibaba!
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    I bought one of these which is very much like a Rolling Darryl except it is 2mm more narrow: Product Description | Origin8

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    509
    One day I plan on building up a Sturmey Archer SX-RK3 3 spd Hub. I would like something that is around 60mm. So far just one I found at 57 on ebay.
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    467
    3 spokes ftw..

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    Two other places that I could find that have the Origin8 AT-PRO801-UL (with 36/72 holes!) in stock:

    https://shop.flythebikeshop.com/prod...nt=30763194441

    https://goalperformer.com/products/o...nt=31104890440

    This rim is a lot like the Rolling Darryl, but 2mm more narrow. The "Tire Bead Seat Diameter" 559 is the same as for a Rolling Darryl.

    Walmart is out of stock, but they have the best price if they ever get them back in stock: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RIM-OR8-2...NMSW/163661277

    Name:  0818276c-eee5-44a6-8c2c-8818cbace197_1.78af6ccb4d12b48db55452e2c62275a5.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  19.6 KB

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    After confirming my online order and getting my payment, both Bicycle Heaven and Flythe's Bike Shop cancelled the orders and refunded my payment, both stating that the rims were out of stock, after all.

    So we are back to 36h Rolling Darryl-style rims being completely unavailable.

  34. #34
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,558
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimhellbike View Post
    After confirming my online order and getting my payment, both Bicycle Heaven and Flythe's Bike Shop cancelled the orders and refunded my payment, both stating that the rims were out of stock, after all.

    So we are back to 36h Rolling Darryl-style rims being completely unavailable.

    The number of 36h fatbike rims in existence roughly matches the demand for them. It's a bummer that you can't get what you want, but you are, literally, one of a very, very small handful of people that want or need them.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The number of 36h fatbike rims in existence roughly matches the demand for them. It's a bummer that you can't get what you want, but you are, literally, one of a very, very small handful of people that want or need them.
    I definitely see how hard it is to secure them! Now Goal Performer has advised me that they are out of stock, and that they will refund my payment. That was the third company to do that in a period of a few days.

    This is the product that I am looking for: Product Description | Origin8, specifically "OR8 26 559x74 AT-PRO801-UL 36/72 BK/NMSW". The SKU number for the 36/72 hole is 470059. They are currently listed on the Origin8 website as "out of stock".

    I hope that it has not been discontinued. Rather, that the amount of rims that Origin8 supplied did not meet the demand of the market. Goal performer says that they will have more in stock approximately 8/20/17.

    I sent an email to Origin8 directly and asked if the product has been discontinued. Max at Bikeman (Bath Cycle & Ski) has sent them an email asking when they might be in stock so as to order four of them.

    Edit: Max at Bath Cycle & Ski says that these will be available sometime after September 1, 2017.
    Last edited by vadimhellbike; 07-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 07:39 AM
  2. Filling those unused spoke holes in rims
    By Harvie in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2013, 12:13 AM
  3. Carbon rims: do they change your spoke choice?
    By buddhak in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM
  4. ZTR Rims : mill spoke socket?
    By madskatingcow in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 01:37 AM
  5. 24 spoke 26" rims?
    By zahgurim in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 68

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •