mtbr member
    May 2013

29er Plus wheels for fat bike

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with 29er Plus wheels for fat bike. Who makes a good wheelset? What tires are out there? And is it a worthwhile wheel size to try as a summer set up for a fatbike?

mtbr member
    I have some I9 bc450's shipping soon. I will report back in a few weeks. Plan to run 3.0 chupas.

Professional Crastinator
    I bought the Pro-X 29+ wheelset from the-house (29x3 Chronicle tires included! I like 'em!). Wheel swaps were easy: They match my 15x150 front axle and my 12x197 rear axle; Brake rotors were dead nuts on line; but I had to add about 1mm(?) spacer behind the cassette to avoid a derailleur adjustment. The hubs feel pretty good as far as smoothness and engagement, too. The only rub is that the rims they offer will never be tubeless unless you just put a bunch of foam in them and go ghetto style.

They also have a narrower 29er set.

Keep in mind that swapping a cassette requires special tools, but your LBS could do it in 2 minutes.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    I am wondering if anybody has any experience with 29er Plus wheels for fat bike. Who makes a good wheelset? What tires are out there? And is it a worthwhile wheel size to try as a summer set up for a fatbike?

I'd venture a guess that more than half of people that try plus wheels on their fatbike never go back to fat wheels. That's the feedback I get from most of my customers anyway. Many of whom then go on to sell their fatbike and buy a dedicated plus bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What bike do you have? Lacemine29.com is the place to go. He'll get you setup right.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'd venture a guess that more than half of people that try plus wheels on their fatbike never go back to fat wheels. That's the feedback I get from most of my customers anyway. Many of whom then go on to sell their fatbike and buy a dedicated plus bike.
    I agree and disagree mikesee, I have 4 wheel sets for 3 fat bikes. 26x65mm and 27.5x52mm for the 177 rear axle frames and 29x45mm and 26x80mm for the 197 frame. I essentially have 6 virtual bike combos. I'm invested in fat obviously, but my physical structure is so used to the comfort and stability of the 100mm spindle q-factor, I'm right where I wanna be without noticeable compromises.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmattcor View Post
    I agree and disagree mikesee, I have 4 wheel sets for 3 fat bikes. 26x65mm and 27.5x52mm for the 177 rear axle frames and 29x45mm and 26x80mm for the 197 frame. I essentially have 6 virtual bike combos. I'm invested in fat obviously, but my physical structure is so used to the comfort and stability of the 100mm spindle q-factor, I'm right where I wanna be without noticeable compromises.

Personally I agree -- 100mm BB's feel natural to me. But I think we're the outliers there.

mtbr member
    Definitely edge cases , I don't like riding the cx bike anymore, so narrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    7 pages of discussion in the 29+ forum Let's see your fatbike 29+ Plus conversions

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just received mine 29+ wheel set from Mikesee (lacemine29.com) and I could not be
    happier...I suggest contacting him and bounce all of your questions off of him. He was very patient with me and I never felt pressured to make a move. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    In the winter, over snow, my 100 mm rims and Bud/Lou combo works pretty good. I have two fat bikes. A pivot Les fat and a Chinese made FS bike. I am wondering how well the 29 plus tires (2.8" - 3.00") will roll and handle on dirt compared to the 4.8" fat tires. And if that warrants gong this route for the summer. The tire I was interested in is the Maxxis Chronicle. But I am open to suggestions.

mtbr member
    Well in my own experience, I did the same bike packing race on a bucksaw the last 2 years. The first year on 26x4.0 setup and last year on 27.5+ hugo 52's with schwalbe 3.0's. The 3.0's were the perfect compromise for sand, pavement, high speed forest roads, gnarly single track that the route dished out. I wanted full fat tires maybe 5% of the 500 mile. With the less rolling resistance plus tires provide, it's a great setup for my 3 season needs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    In the winter I have 100mm carbon 9:zero:7 wheels with studded Dillinger 5's. My frame is a 9:zero:7 carbon Whiteout.

In the summer I've been running 29x3's: Easton ARC 45's with a WTB Ranger on the front (not in this picture) and a Maxxis Chronicle on the rear. I'm so happy with the performance and traction that I sold my lightweight carbon FS 29er.

I love the simplicity and efficiency of a 1x11 hardtail and I like only having one bike. Wheel swapping is quick and easy.

29er Plus wheels for fat bike-r-29-plus-1.jpg

29er Plus wheels for fat bike-img_1461a.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Personally I agree -- 100mm BB's feel natural to me. But I think we're the outliers there.
    Same here, 100mm bb feels normal, though I don't dislike my 73mm bb plus bike

In SLC for the weekend, rode dirt twice on a hardtail fatty with 27.5 x 3.8, plenty of up and downs, flowy, some rock jumps. I didn't really mind the tires being fat, but I missed having some rear suspension.

My plus bike feels light and agile, it's fun to ride, but my fat bikes make me feel invincible.

turtles make me hot
    I have three sets of wheels for my fat bike. One is Big Fat Larry on Clownshoes, One is 4.8 Knard and Bud on Other brother Darryls and the third is Chupacabras on 45mm wide 29" Velocity Duallys. I love em all. In fact, my favorite combination is the Bud/OBD on the front and the 29+ wheel on the rear.
    My son prefers his 29+ wheels to fat. He has WTB Rangers on Duallys and another friend with a 170mm 907 has Cupacabras on Duallys and seems to have no interest in ever putting his Hudus and Darryls back on.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I might have had a different experience than most of you. I had previously ridden Fat B Nimbles on 65mm carbon Nexties, Buds on those 65 Nexties and most recently JJ 4.0 on the 65 Nexties. Laced up a set of 42 OD / 36 ID 29+ carbon Nexties with 3.0 Rangers. I honestly noticed only a marginal difference in my ride with the 29+ wheelset. I am waiting to try on dry fast trails in the summer to make final determination.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm going to add some confusion to this.
    A lot depends on what and where you ride.

I was riding a Echo with 65mm rims and 3.8 tires in the summer and dug it.

Bought a set of 35mm 29 rims with Chuppas and dug that in certain situations, so much so that I bought a Trek Stache...although missed the cush of the 3.8 tires in rocky , rooty New England.

After reading mikesee's post about B fat....27.5 3.8 tires. Bought a set....and it is my go to summer wheelset. To the point that I sold the Stache and the 29+ wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have some 50mm 29er wheels coming. Any recommendations for tires? Pivot LES bike w/ 120mm Bluto. I have been considering Knards, Chronicles, Fat B Nimbles, Jumbo Jims, Purgatories, Bulldozers, etc. .
    Last edited by endo_alley; 04-04-2017 at 05:57 PM.

turtles make me hot
    I really like my Chupacabras. I also plan on trying a pair of Duro Crux. 29x3.25".
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I really like my Chupacabras. I also plan on trying a pair of Duro Crux. 29x3.25".
    Those Duro Crux look awesome, more volume and cush. Does anyone know what the Crux rolling diameter is? I'm not sure it will fit every 29+ frame.

turtles make me hot
    Yeah... I'll be trying them in an alloy 907 frame. Fat. Not 29+
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    What is the outside diameter of the 29 x 3.00 Chupacabras? Are they similar to a 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag for example? I am just trying to get a picture of how they might fit on a fatbike relative to other tires.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    What is the outside diameter of the 29 x 3.00 Chupacabras? Are they similar to a 27.5 x 3.8 Hodag for example? I am just trying to get a picture of how they might fit on a fatbike relative to other tires.
    I have mine mounted on 45mm rims and they are about identical in height to my 4.8" Bud and Lou on 80mm rims. I'll get a measurement for you as soon as I finish dinner.
    I like turtles