JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

29+ and 83mm bb???

I just read this interview, and the builder mentions using an 83mm bb with a 135mm rear end.

Interview With Framebuilder Dave Wiseman | FAT-BIKE.COM

I've been wondering about this exact setup for a while. Would this allow for a decent chainline for 1x10(with a 42 Wolf Tooth GC) or 1x11, or would one really need a 150mm rear to "jive" properly with the wider bb? It seems that the 83mm bb would help solve the problem of the minuscule amount of tire clearance I have on my Krampus when the wheel is slammed all up in there.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I liked reading that. His work is tops for a self described newbie. Some technical people are just so humble, I admire that.

I think an 83 makes sense for the 29+ stuff. It's a little Kramped at the chainstay yoke. Sorry, had to. Laaaaaame.

When I was running an 83mm BB with a 47mm rim and 3.8" tires, the chain was very close to the tire. It worked but looked funny. I bet with a 3" wide tire it'll look good / make sense.

Funny, I might go the opposite direction in time and build a 68mm BB'd 29+ frame so's I can run a Metropolis Patterson 2 speed crank and have a low-maintenance/durable/comfy/climb-worthy camping sorta bike - on the notion that the Patterson is slightly less draggy, less expensive, overall sorta better than a Hammerschmidt.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I liked reading that. His work is tops for a self described newbie. Some technical people are just so humble, I admire that.

I think an 83 makes sense for the 29+ stuff. It's a little Kramped at the chainstay yoke. Sorry, had to. Laaaaaame.
    [/sup]
    Kramped it is! I'm wondering if clearance is better with the Paragon yoke:
    www.paragonmachineworks.com - MS0060TitaniumChainstayYokefor3Tire

But I'm really curious about the 83mm bb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    83mm bb with 135 rear might give you chainline problems. Its only 7 1/2 mm further out so it would probably still work with 2 by 10 just avoid big big.

Most Delicious
    We were talking about this over here in the Surly forum.

I think an 83bb with the rear wheel offset 7.5 mm (and therefore pretty close to dishless) would be pretty nifty.

mtbr member
    ive got an 83mm 150 rear 29+ in the works....looking forward to it...short rear end, powered by 44 bikes...

ive had my krampus for a year or so and like it, but ive had short back end bikes for awhile, including my Vertigo with an 83x150 and i like that set up a lot...

will put up some info as it happens...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    ive got an 83mm 150 rear 29+ in the works....looking forward to it...short rear end, powered by 44 bikes...

ive had my krampus for a year or so and like it, but ive had short back end bikes for awhile, including my Vertigo with an 83x150 and i like that set up a lot...

will put up some info as it happens...
    I follow Kris on most of his social interfaces and sensed this coming. Jealous! He makes some wicked bikes.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Best solution is an offset 135mm rear end (extra bonus, dishless rear wheel) and either an 83mm shell with the ring in the middle (ie 56mm chainline) or 73mm shell with the ring in the outboard position on a triple. Either way will work, if it were me I'd do the 73 shell just to keep my options open crankset-wise. 83mm BB/crank options are slim and getting slimmer.

If you do on-center 135, you're going to have problems in at least some of your gears in the rear (the high gears). That might or might not be a deal breaker. Pretty easy to dish a wheel over 5mm so IMO offset is the way to go.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    good thoughts! i have 2 bikes currently running a 150 rear hub, both vertigo ti hardtail bikes with short stays and 29" wheels. one has 83 shell and i run the ring in the middle position on a saint crank, actually spaced 1mm in from the crank spider…good chainline, no issues. the other has a 73mm shell that i use the chainring just as walt says in the outer position. also works really well, and you can get a lighter crank on that width. probably need a wee bit more manipulation to get the tyre/stay/ring clearance.

the 44 will have ~425mm stays…so space is tight around the bb and i suspect the 83mm shell just gives a little extra wiggle room for the 3"ers…and as im a shimano crank sort of person, the zee or saint are fine…dont mind the extra grams over the xt etc...

the 150mm OLD DT swiss 350 rear hub i will use has symmetrical dish but again, an offset would allow this also….

its one of the things that makes custom frames (and builders!) so incredibly cool….it allows stuff that just doesnt happen with OTP stuff…

better go build a wheel or two..

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Either way will work, if it were me I'd do the 73 shell just to keep my options open crankset-wise. 83mm BB/crank options are slim and getting slimmer.
    True - probably the best counter argument to going the 83mm route. Nothing good-while-reasonably-cheap available.

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    True - probably the best counter argument to going the 83mm route. Nothing good-while-reasonably-cheap available.
    I've had an 83mm bottom bracket lurking on the shelf (abandoned stock trials bike project) and haven't thought about using it since I thought the only 83mm offerings were the Shimano Saint ($$) and some leftover Truvativ ISIS stuff I won't touch.

But now with all these fat tire options, I looked into it again. I don't know if it's a fluke of the global supply chain, but at least looking at eBay there's a bunch of 83mm setups from FSA and RaceFace.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    I don't know if it's a fluke of the global supply chain, but at least looking at eBay there's a bunch of 83mm setups from FSA and RaceFace.
    Huh - this took me aback, maybe it has been a while since I last looked? Would make sense, my dinglespeed bike was indeed a while ago... so I went and looked. You're right!

Good call.

mtbr member
    Zee is inexpensive for the quality I reckon, also?

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all of the great input! I really appreciate it. I have lots to think about.

dRjOn,
    Keep us posted on your 44 build! On a different note, I'm pretty sure that you passed me about 10-15miles into the 2009 SM100. I think I even commented on your sweet ride before you disappeared. I know it's quite a bit late, but nice work beating me by 8min if you ever find yourself in the Harrisonburg area again let's ride!

mtbr member
    ha! no way!...small world :-)~

i *definitely* hope to get out there again...love the riding, the beer and the folk.

ill drop you a line when im over next - i have a sub 10 hr singlespeed SM100 on my bucket list...if it kills me! (and it might!)

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Interesting. From a wholesale/OE perspective, there's a decent amount now that I look again - MRP, E13, Saint, Raceface, and Hammerschmidt if you're into those.

Unless you need to run a bash or multiple front rings, I think I'd still do the 73/offset 135 but that's just me. I keep saying I'll build myself a stupid short chainstay Knard-clearing bike but I never seem to get around to it. Not likely this year either with the new baby on the way and moving house/shop... doh.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Walt,
    I agree about the number of 83 setups that are available. I feel like I'm seeing them everywhere now. My ultimate goal is one ring up front with a bash ring. There are too many rocks where I ride for me not to run a bash ring. I like the idea of a little insurance. Thanks for sharing all of your useful advice, and good luck with the future addition to your family!

dRjOn,
    Sub-10 on single speed is a great goal. I was able to sneak in under 10 this past year on my Fatback(with rear der)- most fun I've had yet on that course. Not sure when I'll do the SM100 again. I get to ride those trails whenever I want. I'm spoiled. I've been really enjoying just riding, a bit of bikepacking, and just generally having fun.....maybe I'm just getting old