mtbr member
    Oct 2016

29" or 27.5" wheels on a Farley 7 (for summer)

Just wondering what you think. Probably 3.5" wide. Wondering if this would be worth while for summer riding on trails and singletracks or, as someone suggested to me, just ride what you have at a higher PSI. Rather new to the fat bike game and just looking at options and planning ahead. Recently went tubeless with my Mulefuts and Barbegazi's and loving it...thanks for the replies

Chris Bling
    I would either go 27.5 mid fat or run a narrower 65mm fatty rim with your current tires. The narrower rim really makes the bike handle quite a bit more sporty and quick.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have the same bike Labs, and purchased a 29+ wheel set for it. DT Swiss hubs, Mulefut 50 rims, Chupacabra tires.

I loved the tubeless Barbi's so much in all conditions that I haven't built up the 29+ wheels yet...and I'm in no rush.
    That said, if you're going to go plus, I'd go 29+ as it will keep your bottom bracket height in-line.

The Barbis are so good, you're not going to see a cost/gains benefit going to any 3.5" tire.

mtbr member
    I've got a 29+ set for mine and it's a fun summer option. Move the rear axle all the way forward as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've ridden gen 1 and 2 Farleys with different wheel and tire sizes. They all worked but some had the pedals lower than I wanted. The racer owner of that bike didn't find it a problem but I don't want pedal hits some places I ride.

FWIW: Getting the second Farley with 27.5 Hodags changed my wanting to get second set of wheels so badly but my wife and I do own trail bikes for faster riding.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike and went 29+
    XM Carbonspeed 35 MM internal rims, Chupacabra 3 inch tires.
    Love the setup and no regrets whatsoever.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. It sound like I need to research the 29+ wheels...That being said, no rush as even though its been in the 60's here in WI all fall, winter will be here soon...I will say that my fat bike has been one of the best investments I've made in a long time, what a fun bike to ride, period!! Thanks again for the advice...

Gimme free stuff
    If you go higher psi you will feel like you are riding a pogo stick...
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (For Sale)
    Pugsley (For Sale)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Time to move on 29+ rims on my Farley 7. Relatively new here and wondering where to start?? Where do I buy a set of rims that will fit my Farley? Do I buy a second cassette and brake rotors? Seems it would be easier this way. Looking to run Chupacabras on Mulefut 50's. Any and all ideas will help, thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    Time to move on 29+ rims on my Farley 7. Relatively new here and wondering where to start?? Where do I buy a set of rims that will fit my Farley? Do I buy a second cassette and brake rotors? Seems it would be easier this way. Looking to run Chupacabras on Mulefut 50's. Any and all ideas will help, thanks
    Check my classified add under Fatbikes or PM me,
    I have what you need.

mtbr member
    I would say forget the Mulefuts and go with one of the newer doublewall tubless ready rims instead, You'll end up with a lighter wheelset and super easy tubeless setup. My suggestions would be to look at:

Easton (Now Race Face) Arc+ 45
    Halo Vapour 50
    Kore Realm P45
    Sunringle Duroc 50
    WTB Scraper I45

Those are all around 45mm inside width. You could also go narrower(40mm or 35mm), which would save some weight and create a rounder tire profile. Lots of discussion about rim width in the Plus forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Check my classified add under Fatbikes or PM me,
    I have what you need.
    Would not have a clue how to build a wheel and too many hobbies already to learn wheel building...thanks anyhow...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I would say forget the Mulefuts and go with one of the newer doublewall tubless ready rims instead, You'll end up with a lighter wheelset and super easy tubeless setup. My suggestions would be to look at:

Easton (Now Race Face) Arc+ 45
    Halo Vapour 50
    Kore Realm P45
    Sunringle Duroc 50
    WTB Scraper I45

Those are all around 45mm inside width. You could also go narrower(40mm or 35mm), which would save some weight and create a rounder tire profile. Lots of discussion about rim width in the Plus forum.
    Where do I begin to look knowing that they will work on my current bike?

This place needs an enema

Smart man.

I rode my full-fatbike yesterday on a few hardpacked trails to get to a wash, then spent hours descending said wash. The bike floated great.

BUT...

My riding partner was on a 29+ Stache, and rode the wash just as well as I, but the trails getting there were way faster and easier for him. 29+ for summer is smart.

Most people that I build second wheelsets for opt to have a second set of rotors and a cassette installed right off the bat. The ones that don't have the tools and time to swap things themselves when needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Framed makes 29+ wheel sets. they should have one that fits your bike. they are like $400 and come with tires. if you want fancier then someone will most likely have to build them for you. I am going the build my own route since i am picky with what componets i want.

mtbr member
    Where do I begin to look knowing that they will work on my current bike?
    All of those rims will work on your bike. It sounds like you need to do some homework and reading before buying something. There are not a lot of places to find off-the-shelf wheels to fit a fatbike. One of them is the Framed site mentioned. First you need to figure out what width the hubs are on your bike. Most likely 197mm rear and 150mm front. Find your bike on the trek website and look up the build spec's.

Lots of places can build a set of wheels for you and determine exactly what you need with a few questions. One of the best is mikesee that posted earlier. It will be more expensive, the they will head and shoulders better than a cheap prebuilt wheelset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I dont about 29+ as the best answer for a hardtail, they're really tall, I think they ride better with suspension.

For my hardtail fatty I prefer 27.5 x 3.8, may not be as fast, but they ride nicer.

I have Duroc 50's, really like em, built up nice, seem more durable than Scrapers. Velocity Duallys are okay too, though the finish is susceptible to scratching.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Would not have a clue how to build a wheel and too many hobbies already to learn wheel building...thanks anyhow...

No worries.
    I was going to pay to have them built up.
    I don't own a truing stand anymore.

turtles make me hot
    I have 29x3 Chupacabras on Velocity Duallys as fast wheels for my 907. I absolutely love them. If you can fit 29+ why would you limit yourself to 27.5+??
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have 29x3 Chupacabras on Velocity Duallys as fast wheels for my 907. I absolutely love them. If you can fit 29+ why would you limit yourself to 27.5+??
    Because taller wheels are not always better, same can said for fatter tires.

I have all three wheel sizes for my fat bike (26, 27.5, 29), been riding them in various configurations on bike (FS, HT) and tandem for a couple years.

I just got some 27.5 x 3.8 Minions and I'm really feeling the love for the taller B fat tires; very different feel from 26 x 4.

I would have argued for B+, but if 27+ is too short, I'd go with a more moderate height tire and a little more width vs a much taller tire with less width.

In my experience riding FS and HT 29+, I found the height of the 29+ to be less manageable without some give in the backend.

27.5 x 3.8 is ~ the same height as a 26 x 4.8 Minion.
    27.5 x 3.0 is ~ the same height as a 26 x 4 Minion.

Just my 0.2

Edit:
    Hey Mike, what are you riding when you're not in the Fatillac?
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 03-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for the help here, I have started working with Mike C. to get what will work best. Appreciate all the help...thanks again