mtbr member

27 TPI Nates tubeless on Rolling Daryls?

My bike came with the unholy Daryls, and I plan to drill them soon. I was also thinking about going tubeless at the same time, and would use the gorilla tape method with stans sealant and valves (which I have on hand).

The bike is mainly used at 0 degrees F (ridden on snow covered trails), and I'd only be going tubeless for weight reduction.

Thoughts or opinions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Try it. If you have everything on hand, it'll only cost you time. If it doesn't work, go back to tubes, and use the Q-Tubes superlights.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I did the same thing. I first use a punch to mark the center. Then drilled a pilot hole and then drilled with the hole saw. One thing I did was put a hose clamp though the hole saw. It limited how far the saw went after it cut the hole.

For tubeless I used a heavy duck tape as a liner. The ran clear gorilla tape on both sides. It worked well because it was stretchy. After putting the tape in I used a tube to seat the bead and then pulled one side a remove the tube and install a stan valve. I inflated it again with a compressor and then put in the stans. For me it worked well. lost air a little first night and then has been good.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I am still on the fence about going tubeless. I like tubeless on my summer bike because of the extra flat protection, but just am not convinced that it is the best option when running such low psi in the cold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Low psi in the snow is where tubeless would benefit you the most. I am on drilled darryls and 27tpi nates with the split tube method, and the only thing I have needed to do is add another scoop of stans to keep my tire from deflating over period of a week. I am 255lbs and have run them damn near flat to get as much float-traction-whatever as I can get w/o a problem (knock on wood).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've got the exact same set up and it's working great. Tubeless is the ONLY way to go IMO (too many flats for me with tubes on fatbikes). Do it and you won't regret it or look back.

turtles make me hot
    I just set up two fatbikes tubeless. One with Husker Dus on Darryls and the other with Bud and Lou on Clownshoes.
    I did both bikes Ghetto tubeless with 24" Q Tubes. I used Camo Gorilla tape for rimstrips. Worked perfect both times.
    I like turtles

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Try it. If you have everything on hand, it'll only cost you time. If it doesn't work, go back to tubes, and use the Q-Tubes superlights.
    don't get these tubes! i bought 3 of them based on advice in this forum, put them in this week, next day, one was flat and didn't even ride! it was leaking from the seam! went put the extra i had in, both tires were flat after a 2 mile ride! these things are junk!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    don't get these tubes! i bought 3 of them based on advice in this forum, put them in this week, next day, one was flat and didn't even ride! it was leaking from the seam! went put the extra i had in, both tires were flat after a 2 mile ride! these things are junk!
    Q Tubes work awesome for ghetto tubeless.
    I like turtles

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Q Tubes work awesome for ghetto tubeless.
    lol, they would work for that since the tube itself doesn't have to hold any air!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    3 years of Q-Tubes superlights with zero flats, maybe I was lucky. I've now gone ghetto tubeless though.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    lol, they would work for that since the tube itself doesn't have to hold any air!
    Exactly. They're perfect for it.
    I like turtles