Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    I like the black and orange too, if I could have that color scheme with the 7 build kit I would have been all over it. That said the purple is damn nice in person.

Yes it does, I've seen them both. I saw one this weekend set up tubeless and it felt pretty light.

mtbr member
    May 2004

First impressions of 27.5 Hodags.

I got a set of the 27.5x3.8 Hodag tires yesterday at my local Trek dealer. I set them up tubeless on a pair of 50mm LB carbon rims. The tires weighed 1262 and 1269 grams. On the 50 mm rims at 20 lbs of pressure, I measured the width at 3 3/8 inches between the knobs and 3 5/8 inches at the widest knobs. The bead to bead measurement was about 21 cm.

The size of these tires seems like a perfect summer/packed snow tire. The profile on the 50mm rim seems really nice also. I haven't had a chance to ride them yet since it rained all day in Denver.

They seem extremely heavy though with a very solid sidewall. I am replacing some 3.5" Fat b Nimble tires. The FBN seem like a paper thin sidewall compared to these tires. I used the FBN all summer with no issues, maybe I have just been lucky. Maybe the Hodag is a bit of overkill? The FBN were 741 gms vs the 1260 gms for the Hodags. That is pretty significant. I liked how fast and light the FBN felt, but wanted a bit more volume. I an curious to see how these new tires feel, if the additional weight is a big factor.27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-dads-phone-10-21-15-046.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-dads-phone-10-21-15-057.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-dads-phone-10-21-15-050.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Me likey.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    New guy here. I know nothing about fat bikes other than reading all 22 pages of the 2016 Trek Farley thread. TWICE. And this thread once.

Currently riding a Trek 8.4 DS and looking for a winter bike.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Farely 7 but 75% of my miles will be commuting (5 miles one way, up hill both ways, literally) in the winter and 25% on a Minnesota MBT with whatever snow conditions that brings with it.

Nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair store that the 4.8" tires are going to be too big for my purpose.

Can a narrower tire (4"?) be mounted on the 80 mm rim?

Going to test ride it tomorrow so that should help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    New guy here. I know nothing about fat bikes other than reading all 22 pages of the 2016 Trek Farley thread. TWICE. And this thread once.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Farely 7 but 75% of my miles will be commuting (5 miles one way, up hill both ways, literally) in the winter and 25% on a Minnesota MBT with whatever snow conditions that brings with it.

Nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair store that the 4.8" tires are going to be too big for my purpose.

you can mount a 4 inch tire on an 80mm rim without issues.

i wouldn't think a 4.8 on a 5 mile ride would be to much. i rode a bud and lou on paved, gravel and trail with no issues.

one more thing i forgot the 7 comes with 26 inch wheels not 27.5 just thought i would add that.

turtles make me hot
    I ride my 4.8" tire bike on a paved path to the beach and back when I don't have time to do a proper trail ride. It's approx 5 miles each direction and it isn't the slightest bit difficult.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I concur regarding the pavement riding.

Edit - and wow Trek - nice heavy tire on your supposed "light wheel" setup.
    I was thinking of going Hodags on 50mm with my second wheel set on the F7, but I think I'll stick to the 29+ plan and Chupies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The drag effect of 4.8's is greatly overstated. I've done my commute (29mi one way) on my Fatboy and even though it wasn't my fastest average (13.8mph) it wasn't horrible by any means. I've been using my Fatboy to pull my son in the bike trailer as well on family rides and have no issue keeping up with my wife and daughter. If you are going to be riding solely pavement higher pressures of 10+psi help, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride it on the road.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Oh and JT, thank you for posting those pics! I was curious about the profile on 50mm rims and you've answered that question beautifully.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I concur regarding the pavement riding.

Edit - and wow Trek - nice heavy tire on your supposed "light wheel" setup.
    I was thinking of going Hodags on 50mm with my second wheel set on the F7, but I think I'll stick to the 29+ plan and Chupies.
    Definitely- Trek's lightweight carbon wheelset weighs more than many lightweight aluminum 26" setups and the tires are comparable to most 26"x4 tires and a few hundred grams heavier a 4.0 Jumbo Jim. Looks like not only is 27.5" fat heavier than a 26" fat at this point, but moves the weight further out on the wheel.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Looks like I'll be ordering the 29+ Mulefuts today.
    Maybe I'll get a set of JJ's for the 80mm Mulefuts as my 3/4 fat setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_T View Post
    I got a set of the 27.5x3.8 Hodag tires yesterday at my local Trek dealer. I set them up tubeless on a pair of 50mm LB carbon rims. The tires weighed 1262 and 1269 grams. On the 50 mm rims at 20 lbs of pressure, I measured the width at 3 3/8 inches between the knobs and 3 5/8 inches at the widest knobs. The bead to bead measurement was about 21 cm.

The size of these tires seems like a perfect summer/packed snow tire. The profile on the 50mm rim seems really nice also. I haven't had a chance to ride them yet since it rained all day in Denver.

They seem extremely heavy though with a very solid sidewall. I am replacing some 3.5" Fat b Nimble tires. The FBN seem like a paper thin sidewall compared to these tires. I used the FBN all summer with no issues, maybe I have just been lucky. Maybe the Hodag is a bit of overkill? The FBN were 741 gms vs the 1260 gms for the Hodags. That is pretty significant. I liked how fast and light the FBN felt, but wanted a bit more volume. I an curious to see how these new tires feel, if the additional weight is a big factor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dads phone 10-21-15 046.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	1023643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dads phone 10-21-15 057.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	1023642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dads phone 10-21-15 050.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	1023645
    Is that an Ican SN01 frame they are on? Did they fit OK? Thinking about going the same route on my sn01 frame.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Lord Thunderbottom
    When the rest of the weight weenie 257x4 tires roll in we'll be all set, give it some time

does anyone have a weight on just the jackalope 275 rim?

Since I only intend to ride my farley 9 as a summer bike I'm thinking about going to a 50-60 mm rim from the 80's, for a more rounded profile and some weight loss

I see that the hugo 275 is already more than 100g lighter than the jackalope 26 rim, I'm thinking it's almost a pound lost by swapping rims, then when some lighter tires come...
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post

Currently riding a Trek 8.4 DS and looking for a winter bike.

I'm from MN too. Since they plow all the bike paths and roads, you are not ever going to need the float from the 5", the rest will be car or snowmobile packed. If you have a 4" tire you should be just fine. Too, the 27.5"x4 is going to have a larger footprint than a 26x4 so you could look at that too. While you would be fine with the 5" you'd be finer with the 4", I would think. You will, however, likely want to stud the tires - you know how long the ice sticks around and what snow that has been polished by lots of car tires packing it down acts like.

I'm getting a 9.8 and I rode the 27.5x4's over sand and thought they worked pretty well. That's going to be like you riding through deep snow not packed snow. So I think if the answer is that you will be riding mostly packed snow, then it's 4". Hard to believe it would be anything else for commuting, especially since we don't really get that much snow, but mostly cold so that snow never leaves.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Get the 7 - more versatile.
    You can always put 4" tires on a 7, but you can't
    put 4.8" tires on the 9 without new wheels.
    The difference in footprint between 27.5 x4 and
    26x4 is tiny, and not a factor.

You were on the right track - 7 is the sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Get the 7 - more versatile.
    You can always put 4" tires on a 7, but you can't
    put 4.8" tires on the 9 without new wheels.
    The difference in footprint between 27.5 x4 and
    26x4 is tiny, and not a factor.

You were on the right track - 7 is the sweet spot.
    Test ride of both will answer the question on this. When I test rode both in the same sand conditions, I found that the difference in float on the 27.5x4 vs the 26x5 was a lot smaller than I had thought it would be. The test ride made the decision pretty easy. Everyone's experience will vary depending on where they ride and how they ride. The only way to find out is to try it.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The difference in float between 27.5x4 and 26x4 is even smaller.
    The point is that with the 7 all doors are open to you.
    Of course test rides are always best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I recently cancelled my Farley 9 order for a 2016 Specialized Fuse Comp I found used for a screaming deal after I discovered 27.5 Plus size. I was smitten at first by the 27.5 Farley and its geometry because it would be mostly used for trail with occasional East Coast Pa snow. I rode my Pivot mach 6 with 2.4 tires on groomed and compacted trails last year and previous year after significant snow falls and accumulation. Sure, a wider tire would have been better to a degree for handling and floatation but really did not suffer overall.I believe a three inch is all I'll realistically need for snow but really shines on trail riding I've done so far. Many choices to make to fit your needs for the best possible equipment,but choices do abound and that is a good thing!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input everyone. Test ride is pushed to Monday. If I can ride at a decent clip with the 4.8" tires then I'll likely get the 7 knowing I can get a spare set of 4" tires for the summer.

If I hate riding the 4.8" on pavement I just won't buy it and explore different options. Can't justify spending more than $2,400 on a bike and/or spare rims at this juncture. Some think I'm insane already!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'd be interested in a 27.5 x 3.8 to gain back that inch of BB height I loose going form a 26 x 4.8 to a 26 x 3.8, just for consistency of feel. Although its all moot until I see a 27.5 x 3.8 Nate, and knowing Surly I'd have a better chance getting on to the International Space Station.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I'm from MN too. Since they plow all the bike paths and roads, you are not ever going to need the float from the 5", the rest will be car or snowmobile packed. If you have a 4" tire you should be just fine. Too, the 27.5"x4 is going to have a larger footprint than a 26x4 so you could look at that too. While you would be fine with the 5" you'd be finer with the 4", I would think. You will, however, likely want to stud the tires - you know how long the ice sticks around and what snow that has been polished by lots of car tires packing it down acts like.

I'm getting a 9.8 and I rode the 27.5x4's over sand and thought they worked pretty well. That's going to be like you riding through deep snow not packed snow. So I think if the answer is that you will be riding mostly packed snow, then it's 4". Hard to believe it would be anything else for commuting, especially since we don't really get that much snow, but mostly cold so that snow never leaves.

J.
    I'm guessing you live in the metro and just ride the groomed trails. I'm out west of the metro and spend a good amount of time breaking trails, riding on lakes, islands, river trails, fields, parks, and everywhere else I can explore. Most see little or no fatbike traffic and I can reach them without having to truck my bike anywhere. A 4" tire won't cut it and if I could go bigger than 4.8" I would- there is no replacement for displacement when you are cutting trails especially when it drifts.

For me the best part of a Fatbike is going spots I normally wouldn't ride and the challenge of riding stuff that is tough in the summer. If I was going to ride plowed roads and groomed "trails", I'd probably just have a studded mountain bike or buy one of those silly trainer things.

The slight advantage your 27.5" tire is going to buy you over a 26x4" is negated by the shorter sidewall of your 27.5 that will restrict you from running lower PSI's or you'll risk trashing a rim. That is the beauty of a 4.8" tire, you can run lower pressures 3-5 psi and have a tank tread pattern and still have some sidewall left to prevent bottoming. Too much grip, just add a little air, not enough let some out.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    I'd be interested in a 27.5 x 3.8 to gain back that inch of BB height I loose going form a 26 x 4.8 to a 26 x 3.8, just for consistency of feel. Although its all moot until I see a 27.5 x 3.8 Nate, and knowing Surly I'd have a better chance getting on to the International Space Station.
    If you compare a 26" Nate to the 27.5" Hodag you are talking a 15mm (.591") difference in diameter and a 7.5mm (.295") difference in ride height not 1". I seriously doubt you could tell the difference.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The problem as I see it, is that Trek is the only company that has gone forward with 27.5" fat. This doesn't bode well for an influx of 27.5 fat tires. This means any company even thinking of making a 3.8" fat tire would be doing so knowing that it's for an extremely limited market. That's not to say it won't happen at all, but it presents a big unknown and it's not a certainty by any means. Some people here thought we'd see a few examples at Interbike - Pfffttt...nothing.

Likely if we see another one any time soon, it will be just one, and it will be from Bontrager.

If I knew a 27.5x3.8" Chuppacabra was on the way, then I may well have gone ahead and ordered a 27.5" set of rims today instead of 29+ . As it stands I'm not willing to wait and see at this point.

If the 3.8" Chupie becomes a reality at some point, then maybe I'll re-lace the DT hubs to 27.5 Mulefuts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I'm guessing you live in the metro and just ride the groomed trails. I'm out west of the metro and spend a good amount of time breaking trails, riding on lakes, islands, river trails, fields, parks, and everywhere else I can explore. Most see little or no fatbike traffic and I can reach them without having to truck my bike anywhere. A 4" tire won't cut it and if I could go bigger than 4.8" I would- there is no replacement for displacement when you are cutting trails especially when it drifts.

For me the best part of a Fatbike is going spots I normally wouldn't ride and the challenge of riding stuff that is tough in the summer. If I was going to ride plowed roads and groomed "trails", I'd probably just have a studded mountain bike or buy one of those silly trainer things.

The slight advantage your 27.5" tire is going to buy you over a 26x4" is negated by the shorter sidewall of your 27.5 that will restrict you from running lower PSI's or you'll risk trashing a rim. That is the beauty of a 4.8" tire, you can run lower pressures 3-5 psi and have a tank tread pattern and still have some sidewall left to prevent bottoming. Too much grip, just add a little air, not enough let some out.
    I was responding to Jeff_G's post. What he described was more urban. I live in a rural area, on the St. Croix and will be riding it on the beach along the St. Croix. Works fine.

J.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    If you compare a 26" Nate to the 27.5" Hodag you are talking a 15mm (.591") difference in diameter and a 7.5mm (.295") difference in ride height not 1". I seriously doubt you could tell the difference.
    I read this type of stuff a lot on here and no one takes into account the amount that fat tires flex under load at low pressure, the bottom bracket will drop more than you think when you sit on it
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I read this type of stuff a lot on here and no one takes into account the amount that fat tires flex under load at low pressure, the bottom bracket will drop more than you think when you sit on it
    True, but both tires will flex by a similar amount so the measurement difference is very meaningful.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bought a set of Jackalope's with Hodag's (27.5" version) from a local dealer who swapped them off of another customer's bike (long story). I got 'em for cheap, but have to replace the hubs to fit them to my Pugz. Kinda excited as the tubeless setup is the easiest that I've seen or tried. Not getting my hopes up since I'm used to 5"x65mm setups (super absorbant and corners like a dream...not to mention all that float!). Will post back when I have some ride time (could be a while).

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    what you doing with the hubs? Selling them by chance?

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    Bought a set of Jackalope's with Hodag's (27.5" version) from a local dealer who swapped them off of another customer's bike (long story). I got 'em for cheap, but have to replace the hubs to fit them to my Pugz. Kinda excited as the tubeless setup is the easiest that I've seen or tried. Not getting my hopes up since I'm used to 5"x65mm setups (super absorbant and corners like a dream...not to mention all that float!). Will post back when I have some ride time (could be a while).
    good luck fitting them on a Pug- iirc, a pugsley needs a 17.5mm offset lacing and the hodags are setup for more or less centered lacing. let us know how it works for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FT251 View Post
    what you doing with the hubs? Selling them by chance?
    They're yours if you want them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    good luck fitting them on a Pug- iirc, a pugsley needs a 17.5mm offset lacing and the hodags are setup for more or less centered lacing. let us know how it works for you.
    Already did the spoke calculations. Not my first wheel build. 272mm are gonna work all the way around with my chosen hubs and offsets, perfect for back-country riding as only have to carry one size :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Really tempted by the Velocity Dually build kit being offered at bikehubstore.com.

135/170mm BHS hubs, Dually rims in 27.5 or 29 with spokes and nips...

Velocity Dually/Fatbike Hubs Wheel Kit - 36/36 - $359.95

Seems like a really good deal... Thoughts?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Really tempted by the Velocity Dually build kit being offered at bikehubstore.com.

135/170mm BHS hubs, Dually rims in 27.5 or 29 with spokes and nips...

Velocity Dually/Fatbike Hubs Wheel Kit - 36/36 - $359.95

Seems like a really good deal... Thoughts?
    It's a great deal. I'm picking one up as soon as I can. I'll post pics when it's built.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    It's a great deal. I'm picking one up as soon as I can. I'll post pics when it's built.
    As I read that link, it looks like there is only one set available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    As I read that link, it looks like there is only one set available.
    I asked. Seems they have several kits available.

turtles make me hot
    There's 29 and 27.5.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    I asked. Seems they have several kits available.
    Screaming deal then. Wonder who ordered 36H in bulk? Seems kinda strange, especially if a bike company had planned to use them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I am crossing my fingers that some one with a 9.6 wants to sell their 27.5 Jackelopes for some Whampa's or carbon wheels and I can buy them used!

mtbr member
    They're yours if you want them!
    If FT251 doesn't want them can I get next in line?
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    They will not fit my F5 build. They're yours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    If FT251 doesn't want them can I get next in line?
    Just so everybody's aware, these were hub swapped for the customer whose bike they came from. The hubs I have are 135QR/177TA. End caps are replaceable, they are for sale, and they are REALLY nice hubs. PM me with an offer if you want. No need ask about them here :-)

Edited to include that they are Bontrager Jackalope hubs

mtbr member
    Sorry I was thinking they were 150 and 177. One usable hub isn't going to do me much good. On to the Next!
    Just so everybody's aware, these were hub swapped for the customer whose bike they came from. The hubs I have are 135QR/177TA. End caps are replaceable, they are for sale, and they are REALLY nice hubs. PM me with an offer if you want. No need ask about them here :-)

Edited to include that they are Bontrager Jackalope hubs
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was just comparing my 26" 4.7s with some 26" MTB wheels, a 650b wheel I am building and a 700c.

The 26" fat is considerably larger in diameter than all of them. I don't like this because it looks like the industry is cracking the door to obsoleting all of our 26" bikes, but we already have the largest diameter wheels in bicycles, I don't see the burning need for more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So whats the consensus on the new Jackelope 27.5 wheels with tubeless Hodags? How you guys liking them? how do they feel? Looks like i found me a set of takes offs for my F5 build. I've been real happy with the 26 inch Jackelopes currently on my F6 set up tubeless with hodags. Will be converting those to fatter tires for winter and use the 27.5 x 3.8's for summer along with a bluto fork. I was going to just use a faster 26 inch tire but feel the 27.5 wheels may be a bit nicer with the newer frame. Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FT251 View Post
    So whats the consensus on the new Jackelope 27.5 wheels with tubeless Hodags? How you guys liking them? how do they feel? Looks like i found me a set of takes offs for my F5 build. I've been real happy with the 26 inch Jackelopes currently on my F6 set up tubeless with hodags. Will be converting those to fatter tires for winter and use the 27.5 x 3.8's for summer along with a bluto fork. I was going to just use a faster 26 inch tire but feel the 27.5 wheels may be a bit nicer with the newer frame. Thanks for the feedback!
    Well I'm still loving 27.5 jackalopes/hodags. Since my last comments I've used them on sand dunes and snow. On the dunes I got the feeling I was doing better than guys with 26x4 but not quite as well as the 26x5 guys. The snow ride was less definitive, as it was new snow and aggressive knobs were more important than diameter. As pointed out by many on this thread, it's not a world of difference from 26".

It's nice to have the same diameter as my winter wheelset, which is clownshoes/5" tires.

The hodags are super nice--lots of traction they roll well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Sorry I was thinking they were 150 and 177. One usable hub isn't going to do me much good. On to the Next!
    End caps are swappable to make the front 150TA... I just don't have those, your Trek dealer should be able to get them, no problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Laced my 27.5's up last night, and, as Teton29er says, they don't feel much different than a 26x3.8" setup. As a matter of fact, tubed (I haven't recieved my Stan's tape for tubeless, yet), they feel identical to Vanhelga's tubed (another tire in the same casing width category!). I suspect, they'll feel really similar to the Vanhelga's tubeless as well, but that will have to wait a few days. Bottom bracket height change between 26x5 and 27.5x4 seems to be minimal. These Hodags are only 8mm shorter in overall height that my Buds on Marge Lites.

Will keep everyone up to date as I continue to ride these up til the snow flies :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks, good to know. I will have the 27.5 jackelope as my "Summer Wheel" set up with the Hodags tubeless. For winter I have the 26" jackelopes with the bigger Barbagazi tires set up tubeless. Thought that would keep the BB about the same and the geo similar. i was worried that the larger wheels may have a effect or different feel being it's larger diameter. Maybe the sidewall of the hodag makes up for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The sidewall of the Hodag isn't making up for anything.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast