Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lactatofilo View Post
    Could you do a direct comparition between the hodags nd chupacabras. Pros and cons of each...
    Thanks!!
    I'm not drjon....
    But I do have 26 Hodags on 65mm rims, 27.5 Hodags on 52mm rims and 29 Chuppas on 35mm rims.
    The Chuppas have great roll over and are about 1lb lighter...and roll a little better than the Hodags.
    The 27.5 Hodags have better rollover than the 26s....and have more cushion than the Chuppas.
    The 27.5 Hodags have become my go to set up.
    This is on a Borealis Echo in rocky/rooty trails

mtbr member
    hello - id echo the Mayor - the 29+ chupa rolls over trail 'guff' very easily and feels really light. it has reasonable grip but should be seen as a fast/low tread tyre rather than a slamming into corners in muck or rocks tyre. it is incredibly supple but seems durable.

the hodag 27.5x3.8 should be seen as a 3.5. it is 20mm or so smaller diameter than the chupa. but it rolls well in the rough- probably given its even lower pressure. you can tell its not a 29+ but it will roll over stuff better than a 29x2.4 of which it is a similar diameter. it has grip for days in almost every condition i have tried, its is incredibly durable and at just over 1200 g with a supple sidewall it is a great tyre.

Name:  33013908420_33017e3790.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  65.8 KB

the minion fbf 27.5x3.8 is similar dimensionally to the hodag, but has a much more rigid sidewall. i have not really found pros of that though id expect its durable in sharp rock and square edge impacts. i prefer the suppleness of the hodag. it also has grip for days, didnt like steep wet snow (what tyre does) and is heavier >1400g

in on the left field is the minion 29x3 dhf, which is a true 3" and is quite frankly , preposterous. massive roll over, massive grip and if you want 29+ in chunky terrain or mud (not mud specific, but best there is ime) its your go to.

HTH, and i've been clear on my thoughts? at presnet im really liking hodag front and ikon 2.8 rear on 45mm internal rims as my general preferred tyre, though minion 29x3 front and tomahawk 29 rear is hot on its heals...

27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-33397041125_9052c1a028_z.jpg

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    hello...(good reviews of tires)
    Thanks for your always thoughtful responses!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Could you do a direct comparition between the hodags nd chupacabras. Pros and cons of each...
    Thanks!!
    I'm also not dRjOn, but I'll give you my opinion anyway, as I have some experience with the above tires. The Chupacabra is a great all around 29+ tire. It's one of the larger volume 29+ tires (Knard is still the biggest), rolls well, has decent grip, and is pretty light. It's not the fastest or the burliest or the lightest, but it just works for most of my riding. 29+ has great rollover compared to smaller diameter tires, it just motors through rock gardens and such where smaller wheels/tires get hung up. It obviously doesn't have the cush of the fatter setups, but for me, 3-3.25" is my prefered summer tire width.

I rode the 26x3.8 Hodag for a bit, and then decided to try the 27.5x3.8 Hodag on the same bike. I immediately sold the 26 fat setup! As mentioned, it's more like a 3.5" tire, but it blends (almost) the rollover of 29+ with the width of 26 fat into a great size. This is my preferred winter setup here in southern NY, where we get sporadic snow and I'm riding my normal summer singletrack trails. I've never weighed my wheelsets, but this is obviously heavier than the 29+ setup, and does feel slower, but the extra traction and cush are worth it this time of year. The above tires were ridden on my 2 custom Plus frames.

I've also put together a full fatbike that I keep in Vermont, and decided to go with 27.5x4.5 Barbegazi setup on that, with Jackalop wheels, which are around 80mm wide I think. It's a great setup, although I've never ridden 26x4.8 or bigger to compare.

I would also recommend looking into the Duro Crux tires. I have them in both 27.5x3.25 and 29x3.25 sizes. They are big meaty tires with big knobs. The 27.5 ones are my current go to tire on my trail bike for summer. I have not ridden the 29" version yet, but they are big and heavy, around 1200g I think. I have a feeling they will not fit in the back of some 29+ frames. I'm thinking about trying the Crux on the front with Chupacabra rear on my 29+ bike, should be a fun combo!

I hope that helps! Yes, I'm a tire whore

bigger than you.
    I've had my bucksaw built as a 27.5 for 14 months and had the Hodags for over a year. I just got to ride them in the snow for the first time today and am totally sold on them. I'll admit that I prefer plus most of the time, but after today, I'm sold on them for a winter tire. On tuesday, we got about 10 inches of snow, mixed with sleet. My first snow-ride on the Hodags was tuesday night, riding around my neighborhood in Philadelphia's river wards. The results were mixed. At pressures that were ideal for slush and plowed pavement, the tires had a tendency to ski, the front pushing in the snow and not hooking up; wheel flop was also a problem with the bucksaw's 67º hta. At lower pressures, probably 4-5 psi, traction was excellent, but there was a real risk of wheel strikes off of the snow pack, which was annoying. Granted, these were less than ideal riding conditions. Yesterday, I didn't feel like trekking across town in 25 mph headwinds at 20º, so I just rode around the neighborhood, running errands. I was pleasantly reminded how fast the tires were, cruising on paved streets at around 18 mph, keeping pace with traffic; good times.

I got up this morning and rode across town to the Belmont Plateau to get in a little dan patrol ride before work. Riding across town was a chore, but I was rewarded with ideal singletrack conditions. The dense wet snow had frozen, creating a piste that was akin to slick rock: firm, with days of traction. The Hodags really shine in these conditions and my short little 14 mile ride was a complete blast. I'd been giving though to getting rid of the bucksaw for a dedicated plus bike, but after today, I think I may keep it a little while longer. Hopefully, we'll get snow more than once a year in the coming winter seasons, but I'm not confident on that count. Given the hassle of changing tires, I'll keep the Hodags on until race season and see if I like them on the dirt... I'd just put on a pair of 845g WTB Rangers, that I really like though, I'm not sure if I want to give up the acceleration, but we'll see. As for the tire size, I have no regrets about not building a set of 26 fat wheels and no interest in doing so. If anything, if i wanted a dedicated fat wheel set, I'd probably go with 27.5x65 or 80. 650B is the future of fat for me, I hope other tire makers jump on board; a 27.5x4 Schwalbe Jumbo Jim would be the Bee's Knees.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Many thanks to @dRjOn @bikeny @the mayor for answering my question. Really preciate the data you provided to me.
    Big thanks!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Many thanks to @dRjOn @bikeny @the mayor for answering my question. Really preciate the data you provided to me.
    Big thanks!!
    One more bit to help or confuse you.
    And again, it depends on where, what and how you ride.
    Bottom bracket height: compared with the 26 Hodags, the 27.5 Hodags raise the b/b about 5 mm...and the 29+ Chuppas add another 5 to that.
    On the other hand....if you put 27.5 3( like a Fat Trax) inch tires on....it lowers the b/b about 10 mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have not ridden Hodags, but I have ridden a few fat and plus tires over the years including Minions in 2.5, 3.0, 3.8, and 4.8.

The Floater was my fav 4" tire before I got the 27.5 x 3.8 Minions, now you can't pry them suckers outta my hands. Bomber construction, sticky on rock, good grip on snow, fast on firm, very predictable.

The 29+ Minions are not what I expected, perhaps it's because I like my 3.8's, or maybe the 29+ just felt tall in comparison, but after riding both, I missed the 3.8's.

I think the best part of 27.5 x 4 is the combination of height and width, it negates the need for 26 x 4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've done a lot of experimenting with tires/wheels on my Farley 5 over the past year+. 27.5x2.8, 29x3, 26x5, and now 27.5x3.8. I really liked the 27.5x2.8 on singletrack but it lowered my bb too much. 29x3 never felt right to me on those same trails, but as mentioned the rollover was great but really had to work that momentum. I think the Stache with the shorter chainstays might have made a difference. Anyway, sold both of those wheelsets.

26x5 is what I ran in the snow this year and just got a 27.5x65mm wheelset for this summer and maybe winter next year. I'm giving it one more year to decide if riding fat year round is my thing. Seems there are just too many compromises to make it work for me year round. Might just suck it up and buy a dedicated summer bike.

Thankfully the market where I live is full of used wheels/tires so I've been mostly able to get out everything I've put it when I turn around and sell stuff off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I listed a set with Hodags just now. I love this wheel combo on the fatty in summer, especially in rockier climates! I would love to stay with them, especially with all the tires coming in the new future in 27.5x 3.8. I have to decided to keep my fatty dedicated full fat and build a FS plus bike. May regret it, but experimenting is half the fun!

27 Nextie/Onyx 150/177mm - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Ok Ive skimmed thru the whole thread and maybe I missed it . Im looking for overall width and diameter of a Minion fbf 27.5x3.8 on a 45mm internal rim . A 50 mulefut.
    Anybody know? Thanks much.

mtbr member
    *off the top of my head* it is about 93mm wide (knobs) and 747mm diameter on 65mm (external) rim. i can measure if it's critical.

mtbr member
    Cool that will work thanks. Im putting the 3.8 Minion on the Jones with a 2.8 rekon on back and was concerned about toe overlap.

mtbr member
    i have a jones with a hodag on 45mm internal rim front (ti, truss fork) and ikon 2.8 on the rear (45mm internal) and it fits and works great.

mtbr member
    That's great to here. Ive been running it with a 27.5 dirt wizard in back and a 4.0 nate on a 80mm rim in front. I think this setup should be a lot of fun and maybe a bit faster.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920