Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,263 of 1263
    mtbr member

27.5X4 Who's excited? Who's not?

Looking to do a second wheel set for my farley 9.6. I have gnarwhals on the stock wheels with a dt rear hub. Was thinking of going 65mm with the stock barbs for a summer wheel and i could use them for a couple races if the conditions dont need the gnarwhals. They are light, roll fast, the 65mm rim would round them more in the summer and lessen the self steer.... just not sure on nexties or trying to source some 65mm mulefats. Im thinking you have to buy full wheels from rocky.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    I gave up on trying to get 27.5x65mm rims and went with 80mm winter wheels and 50mm summer wheels with 3.8-4s. Rodney's thoughts on 65mm rims makes me think this is the right choice for where I ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    I gave up on trying to get 27.5x65mm rims and went with 80mm winter wheels and 50mm summer wheels with 3.8-4s. Rodney's thoughts on 65mm rims makes me think this is the right choice for where I ride.
    If i was to go 50mm rims i would just go 29+ and ditch fat for summer all together. I kind of want a half way for winter speed and summer fat. My summer bike is a top fuel so this wouldnt be my main summer bike.

mtbr member
    Ive decided im going to go with some 80mm carbons. Was riding yesterday and the gnarwhals are quite the chore on groomed double track, would be nice to switch from the gnarwhals for pow and ice to the barbs for groomed and races. Ill get more use out of them than i thought.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    If i was to go 50mm rims i would just go 29+ and ditch fat for summer all together.
    i am not a 29+ fan. IMHO, for where i ride, 27.5x4 works better than 29x3, even w/ both on 50mm rims. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    4.5" Barbes are not going to be all that different from a 4.5 Gnar, same casing dontcha know, so you might get a slightly faster rolling tire, but not a tire thay is much good for anything other than soft surfaces. I got a set of Barbes on Jackalopes now, trust me, they are not all around tires.

What Rodney is saying is that the 50mm rims would be for B Fat, which is ~ the ideal rim width for a 3.5" tire.

Half way between your Top Fuel and 4.5 tires is B Fat.

If i was to go 50mm rims i would just go 29+ and ditch fat for summer all together. I kind of want a half way for winter speed and summer fat. My summer bike is a top fuel so this wouldnt be my main summer bike.

mtbr member
    Looking to do a second wheel set for my farley 9.6. I have gnarwhals on the stock wheels with a dt rear hub. Was thinking of going 65mm with the stock barbs for a summer wheel and i could use them for a couple races if the conditions dont need the gnarwhals. They are light, roll fast, the 65mm rim would round them more in the summer and lessen the self steer.... just not sure on nexties or trying to source some 65mm mulefats. Im thinking you have to buy full wheels from rocky.
    I have a set of 27.5+ WTB Scraper rims wheels on my Farley and love them. I am also running the 3.5 Fat B Nimble and to be honest they are really only 3" wide at best. But man are they a fast fun combo.

My buddy also has the same combo on his Farley and loves the 27.5+ just as much as I do.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    4.5" Barbes are not going to be all that different from a 4.5 Gnar, same casing dontcha know, so you might get a slightly faster rolling tire, but not a tire thay is much good for anything other than soft surfaces. I got a set of Barbes on Jackalopes now, trust me, they are not all around tires.

What Rodney is saying is that the 50mm rims would be for B Fat, which is ~ the ideal rim width for a 3.5" tire.

I have to disagree with you Ben. I think a set of Barbis on 65mm rims would be a great setup for packed snow riding/racing, as well as for non snow riding. The Barbis are the same weight or lighter than all of the 27.5x3.8 options and roll great, and stll allow silly low pressures when needed. They would also keep the BB height the same as stock. A 27.5x3.8 setup on 50mm won't be much faster(depending on tires of course) and will lower the BB which may be an issue. A 29+ setup would be a great summer setup, faster and lighter, but not really usable for snow riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I have to disagree with you Ben. I think a set of Barbis on 65mm rims would be a great setup for packed snow riding/racing, as well as for non snow riding. The Barbis are the same weight or lighter than all of the 27.5x3.8 options and roll great, and stll allow silly low pressures when needed. They would also keep the BB height the same as stock. A 27.5x3.8 setup on 50mm won't be much faster(depending on tires of course) and will lower the BB which may be an issue. A 29+ setup would be a great summer setup, faster and lighter, but not really usable for snow riding.
    ^^^+ 1
    Yeah the Barbís are fast rollers, unlike the Gnarwhalís, Iím also looking for another set of wheel'sÖ

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    ^^^+ 1
    Yeah the Barbís are fast rollers, unlike the Gnarwhalís, Iím also looking for another set of wheel'sÖ
    I have a new takeoff wheelset from 2018 Farley 5 I would sell, they were taped at the dealer and have stems. The rear has the Shimano 10/11 driver, but Bontrager does sell an XD driver for this hub (part # W330365). I'm located in Michigan, send me a PM if interested.
    2018 Farley 9.6 - Eagle X01, XT Brakes
    2017 Salsa PR GX1 - X01, I9/carbon 27.5+
    2017 Surly KM (black) 1x11, 27.5+

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wheels are sold
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 02-23-2018 at 07:40 PM.

WNC Native
    Nurse Ben- Now that the Crown Gem has had some time to stretch, can you give us some updated numbers?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am looking into up grading my stock farley 9 wheels. I have read a lot on this forum about guys running 27.5 x 50mm wheels with 3.8 tires. I will probably get my local shop to build them. What rims are people running? Also would you recommend switching to 29+ instead. I live in eastern Pennsylvania and mostly ride rocky single track with the occasional snow ride in the winter. Does anybody run 27.5x 3 on a fat bike or would that drop the bb to low. I am in the process of switching my bluto from 100mm to 120mm.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by CrLapp View Post
    I am looking into up grading my stock farley 9 wheels. I have read a lot on this forum about guys running 27.5 x 50mm wheels with 3.8 tires. I will probably get my local shop to build them. What rims are people running? Also would you recommend switching to 29+ instead. I live in eastern Pennsylvania and mostly ride rocky single track with the occasional snow ride in the winter. Does anybody run 27.5x 3 on a fat bike or would that drop the bb to low. I am in the process of switching my bluto from 100mm to 120mm.
    I run 50 mm Nextie rims. I have run 27.5 x 3.0 Dirt Wizard tires and loved them. I did not notice the lower BB at all. Last year I ran 3.8 Hodags and was surprised how well they worked, so much so that I didn't mount the DWs. If I lived in CO or CA I might go with 29+ but for me living in the east I think 27.5 is more responsive.

mtbr member
    I used the 27.5 x 3.8 over the last few months and hate it. Everyone seems to really like the setup, but it is not for me. Dropped some serious coin going that route and it has been one of the most disappointing changes I have done. Switched to 26 x 4.8 and love the bike now.

Anyone else experience that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    I used the 27.5 x 3.8 over the last few months and hate it. Everyone seems to really like the setup, but it is not for me. Dropped some serious coin going that route and it has been one of the most disappointing changes I have done. Switched to 26 x 4.8 and love the bike now.

i think you need to elaborate on what surface and what type of riding.

If you're saying for deep snow, then sure that makes sense.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    No snow, eastcoast singletrack. I am almost 2 mph faster on each ride since switching.

mtbr member
    Well there are likely a bunch of factors at play besides the wheel size. East coast weather has varied a lot over the past few months and trail conditions now are not what they have been. Also what tires on each wheelset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Well there are likely a bunch of factors at play besides the wheel size. East coast weather has varied a lot over the past few months and trail conditions now are not what they have been. Also what tires on each wheelset?
    Maxxis DHF,DHR vs Jumbo Jim , the main issue was suppleness and rollover. The 27.5 felt like it got stuck on everything but the JJ just roll over the same trail.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Maxxis DHF,DHR vs Jumbo Jim , the main issue was suppleness and rollover. The 27.5 felt like it got stuck on everything but the JJ just roll over the same trail.
    JJs have very low rolling resistance: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-liteskin-2016

Close to MTB racing tires on hardpack and (very) likely better than them on softer/bumpier stuff.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    You do realize you're comparing probably the slowest 27 Fat tire to the fastest 26 fat tire, right? 27 fat is obviously not for everyone, but that's really not a fair comparison.

I'd also like to hear what exactly you didn't like about them. Also, what rims and pressures were you using for each setup?

WNC Native
    Maxxis DHF,DHR vs Jumbo Jim , the main issue was suppleness and rollover.
    No wonder you like the 26" setup better then. You should have tried some 27.5 Hodag tires.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    No wonder you like the 26" setup better then. You should have tried some 27.5 Hodag tires.
    No offense, but cannot use any TREK product.

mtbr member
    Oh, well that eliminates half the current B-fat tire options right there.

I'd suggest the Terrene Cake Eater if you want something more supple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just curious; why is that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Because some people see the world in black and white, other's see shades of grey.

It's his choice, no reason to beleaguer him; his loss too

Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    Just curious; why is that?

mtbr member

340g per tire heavier. Same casing but those big spaced out knobs will for sure drag more than the smaller tighter ones.

My gnarwhals are studded too, so not going to use them other than winter anyways

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Almost same experience for me. My experience with B-Fat (only tried Hodags and Minions, but consider other tires in same category to be in the same size range), is that they need as wide rim (tried 80mm Nexties) as possible to be considered useful on soft snow, even then it was not useful for me on snow.
    For rocky terrain/ hard ice surface it is the opposite, you need to go narrower, to avvoid rim strike. I found 50mm Nextie rims to be a good width, you might go even down to 40mm?
    For me it is better also to go for 26" wider tires, and to use 3" Plus tires on hard surface.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    ...and i am excited again! just got my GnarDags from Mikesee. scaled em up, 1320 grams for both of them. #wouldbangagain

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nope. I used to have some 26 x 4.8 Minions, slow and heavy, okay for snow and mud, but crap for anything else. I ride 26Ē day in a variety of set ups, never felt fast or agile, and I would not consider them as a daily driver.

As for 27.5 x 3.8, had a bunch of set ups, no complaints, not a true sniwctire, but it also functions better on non snow surfaces than a 26 x 4. The biggest ahah moment for me was when I found myself choosing to ride dirt on my Wozo with the 27.5 x 3.8 wheelset over my Fatillac with 27.5 x 3Ē.

My guess is you either misunderstood the purpose behind BFat; ie multi purpose, and need a snow tire or you donít ride fast enough to appreciate the difference. Either way, as long as youíre riding happy, all is good.

We all make mistakes. I just bought and sold a 27.5 x 4.5 Jackalopes/Barbe/DT Swiss wheelset at a loss, only rode it a handful of times. Iíd purchased it with plans to ride them more, but itís just now happening.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    scaled em up, 1320 grams for both of them.

Awesome, will be one of my next purchases!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Gnarwahl

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    ...and i am excited again! just got my GnarDags from Mikesee. scaled em up, 1320 grams for both of them. #wouldbangagain

Mikesee has these in stock? I need a set!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I need a low rolling resistance 27.5x4 tire. Most these treads look aggressive as hell. Cake eater? Currently have minions.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbauer View Post
    No idea if he has any left. Need em? Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by jonm1211 View Post
    I need a low rolling resistance 27.5x4 tire. Most these treads look aggressive as hell. Cake eater? Currently have minions.
    for lower rolling resistance bfat, i would say first and foremost, Hodag. Following the Hodag, the CakeEater.

Both the hodag and cakie have ~4mm center knob height. The Cakie has much larger edge knobs.

The Gnarwhal has ~6mm center knobs...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Front and rear?

The Minion FBF is a good tire, if you're running it now I'm not so sure you can do better. I ran a Minion FBF, Hodag and tried the Gem up front. Hodag was a good all around tire but kinda "bouncy", Gem was terrible up front due to autosteer, and the FBF was the fastest and best handling so I run it now.

In back I've run the Minion, Hodag, Gem. The Minion wasn't bad, but I found it to be a tad slow and fragile. The Hodag is a good tire, but again I found it bouncy. I'm running the Crown Gem, it's like a Hodag but more aggressive knobbies, 120tpi, not slow, good traction, sticky rubber. and so far quite durable.

Maybe start with the rear tire and see how it goes, you could get a Gem, Hodag, Cake or Gnar. All of these tires will probbaly roll faster than a FBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah, FBR rear. I kind of deduced this to be the case. Thanks for your thoughts. I think to get a truly (and relatively) fast-rolling tire I may need to go 29+. Always an option, just $$$.

By the way, people, don't get me wrong--I'm with ya--B fat is dope. Just planning on some pavement riding w/the fatty.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    B fat is dope. Just planning on some pavement riding w/the fatty.
    wifey got a new bike, a mid fat. Yesterday, after work she wanted to ride it on the road/paved rail trail to get used to it.

i pumped up my Cakeeater 27.5x4 to 20 psi, and followed suit. although it clearly wasn't the most efficient setup, there were no issues whatsoever. #bFATRULES

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    To conclude that the Barbe is a good year round tire based in itís weight alone is to ignore the sheer size of this tire.

The Barbe and Gnar are high volume tires with not a lot of structure, they have more autosteer than a smaller tire and they bounce a fair bit. Before I owned s set, I was considering them for bike packing, but now I know better.

If someone considers the Snowshoe XXL a year round tire, then youíll feel the same way about the Barbe.

Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    ^^^+ 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    85mm casing, 90mm knobs
    Duroc 50, ~8psi

Overall Iím really enjoying this tire, good traction on dirt and rock, predictable handling, and surprisingly good traction on snow.

Not a tire Iíd run up front, but itís a gem out back. Iím running a Minion FBF in front.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Nurse Ben- Now that the Crown Gem has had some time to stretch, can you give us some updated numbers?

This place needs an enema
    The Barbe and Gnar are high volume tires with not a lot of structure, they have more autosteer than a smaller tire

"structure"?!

autosteer is a function of size + pressure. not just size. run *any* tire too low and it will autosteer.

Quote Originally Posted by dbauer View Post

Just got another batch in...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The Barbe and Gnar are high volume tires with not a lot of structure, they have more autosteer than a smaller tire and they bounce a fair bit. Before I owned s set, I was considering them for bike packing, but now I know better.
    I disagree with your thoughts on this regarding use on snow. I have been using the Gnarwhal 4.5 for the last few weeks in many different types conditions and have not encountered any auto steer. Granted I've only run as low as 3 psi but if I run a Jumbo Jim or any other 26" tire at that pressure I always get auto steer. I have been very impressed with the Gnar in almost every scenario except deep, dry snow where I feel that Bud and Lou have a slight advantage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I havenít noticed any autosteer traits from either tire, what I do notice; they tend to roll slower when under inflatedÖ

I have a Gnar up front now with a Barb on the rear, I like this setup with changing trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We're not talking about snow, we're talking about NOT snow.

The Barbes definitely have some autosteer on dirt; at speed they can have a mind of their own, not as bad as some tires, but enough that I wouldn't consider them a year round tire.

They are certainly great tires for softer surfaces and they hit way above their size, super low weight and quite durable.

Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    I disagree with your thoughts on this regarding use on snow. I have been using the Gnarwhal 4.5 for the last few weeks in many different types conditions and have not encountered any auto steer. Granted I've only run as low as 3 psi but if I run a Jumbo Jim or any other 26" tire at that pressure I always get auto steer. I have been very impressed with the Gnar in almost every scenario except deep, dry snow where I feel that Bud and Lou have a slight advantage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They autosteer on hard surfaces at all pressures, somewhat worse at higher pressures, I played with pressures quite a bit.

I was thinking that the same tire with a thicker casing might be better, but then they'd weigh more.

Essentially what I'm saying is this is not a daily driver for year round use, which of course makes sense as there is limited need for such a tire in the summer unless you're riding sand or something boggy of some sort.

To each their own, in the summer I ride plus tires, but I have seen folks riding 4" tires on dirt in the summer, kinda crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    "structure"?!

autosteer is a function of size + pressure. not just size. run *any* tire too low and it will autosteer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Gnarwhal doesn't self steer at all IME though my Hodag 3.8s sure do... We thought winter was over in my parts but now 8-12'' coming and with Gnarwhals Im a tiny bit happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Interesting, I had no self steer with Hodags, mainly ran them on dirt, found them a touch bouncy is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Gnarwhal doesn't self steer at all IME though my Hodag 3.8s sure do... We thought winter was over in my parts but now 8-12'' coming and with Gnarwhals Im a tiny bit happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    On flat rock more than anything, off camber, uneven, pretty wild actually.

bigger than you.

that's odd, my experience has been the exact opposite. 27.5 Fat is noticeably faster than 26" and better for east coast rocks. I've come to hate 26" fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    that's odd, my experience has been the exact opposite. 27.5 Fat is noticeably faster than 26" and better for east coast rocks. I've come to hate 26" fat.

More or less my experience, too.

Still, to each their own. At least he tried it.

mtbr member
    For anyone who is B fat curious, I may have a set of wheels to sell. I sold off the frame that these were used on, and not sure if it will be replaced. They are DT Swiss 350 Big Ride hubs, 197 rear and 150 front, laced to Bontrager Jackalope 27.5x80mm rims, built to perfection by Mikesee. Wheels currently have Bontrager Barbegazi 27.5x4.5 tires mounted tubeless and without sealant, and they hold air for weeks! Wheel and one tire have about 30 miles on them, the other tire about 50 miles, so basically brand new. PM me if you're interested in them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

I'm looking for another set of 27.5 fat wheels if you are selling?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Bump.

Recommended (spare) tube size for 3.8s on 50mm rims? Maxxis' tubes go up to 5.0 which seem very overkill.

Thanks.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereyonder View Post
    Bump.

Recommended (spare) tube size for 3.8s on 50mm rims? Maxxis' tubes go up to 5.0 which seem very overkill.

Thanks.
    Yet another reason to go tubeless.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereyonder View Post
    Bump.

Thanks.
    i use bontrager 26x2.5-2.8 and it works well.... https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrage...valve-EV168727

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Yet another reason to go tubeless.
    They will be tubeless.

However, I would like to take two spares on a trip out to the middle of nowhere in case things go awry....
    Last edited by nowhereyonder; 05-05-2018 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    i use bontrager 26x2.5-2.8 and it works well.... https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrage...valve-EV168727
    Perfect, thanks!

Big wheels keep on rollin

new Lithic rim?

got an email back from Otso that they were hoping to have a 70 mm Lithic rim in 27.5 this fall. Been waiting for something like this to use on my Ritchey Commando. Pretty sure a 27.5 4" wheel and tire will fit with at least a cm of clearance in all spots.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    got an email back from Otso that they were hoping to have a 70 mm Lithic rim in 27.5 this fall. Been waiting for something like this to use on my Ritchey Commando. Pretty sure a 27.5 4" wheel and tire will fit with at least a cm of clearance in all spots.

mike

Unless you're riding deep, soft snow full-time, I can't think of a reason to stick with 26".

Big wheels keep on rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Unless you're riding deep, soft snow full-time, I can't think of a reason to stick with 26".
    No snow here in So Cal. My use is the desert canyons and washes in Anza Borrego and Death Valley.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    No snow here in So Cal. My use is the desert canyons and washes in Anza Borrego and Death Valley.

mike

Then you are well and truly on the right track.

mtbr member
    So I just built up a set of 27.5 x 65 Nexties and shod them with 3.8Ē Hodags.
    Iím kind of shocked how dead and slow they feel. Even though my total wheel/tire combo is 1/2 pound lighter, I feel like Iím working a lot harder than with my former 26 x 4 Jumbo Jimís.

Any better riding 27.5 x 3.5 to 4.0 tire suggestions?

mtbr member
    i found a hodag on the rear to be quite slow rolling. i wonder if breaking out a tyre cutter and doing some judicious trimming would work - it has an abudance of traction, so can afford to lose some in certain terrains...but i have not tried it yet...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213