Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,038 of 1038
    A Surly Maverick
    1000 !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-27.5.jpg  

A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

This place needs an enema
    Congrats Doc!

I think your experience is a common one: No one expects the B Fats to be any better, much less so much better -- until they try them, and then they have to ask themselves how they could be so wrong...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm 5'3" so for me, larger diameter wheels becoming a market focus is a bad thing.
    means manufacturers investing their quality tech into rims and tires I can't use, potentially less attention given to those that I can.

I'd be really happy if 24" Fat would become more widely supported....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
    I'm 5'3" so for me, larger diameter wheels becoming a market focus is a bad thing.
    means manufacturers investing their quality tech into rims and tires I can't use, potentially less attention given to those that I can.

I'd be really happy if 24" Fat would become more widely supported....
    If you tried a 27.5 bfat set up, esp one built up with light components, you'd probably find the height to be a non issue, but you'd need a frame designed around the wheel size, specd to fit a smaller person.

For example, a small Wozo with a Lauf fork, carbon rims, Hodags. It'd be sporty, agile, and fast.

I have a 24" fat muni, great size for muni, but few good rim choices, and only two decent tire choices. As a Muni rider, I've long seen the death of 24", it won't be back, sorry.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Laugh Carbonhaha is a pretty cool fork no doubt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nothing like a phone for making corrections

mtbr member
    I'm getting ready to mount up my B Fat wheelset again soon after a summer on 27.5x3.25 and 29x3.0. Once the leaves start falling and hiding the rocks and roots, it's nice to have some extra rubber between my rims and the ground! I've been very happy with the Hodag up until now, so will keep running them until they need replacement. Interested to see what will be available at that time, there are 2 more manufacturers that I know of releasing tires in the 27.5 x 3.8 - 4.0 size. I'll wait for others to try them first and give their feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I'm going to risk being a total douche as I haven't read much of this thread. I've just taken the 650B/barbegazi 4.5" off my new farley 9-6 and put my old 26s with jumbo jim 4.8s back on. I gave the B wheels a good tryout but on my local trails, in combinations with the tires mentioned above, I find the 26/jumbo jim's to be comfier, roll quicker and to get me around my favourite fast laps a good bit quicker. Didn't really notice any difference in ease of rollover either.

I'd planned to use the 650b wheels for summer and the 26s as winter wheels with some D5s fitted, but I guess i'll just have to keep swapping tires.
    I'm sure in many situations the 650Bs work well but for me there was really no upside.

mtbr member
    26 x 4.8 and up is where my heart is. Never had more fun than on these jumbo tires, and I got rid of my 27.5 after two years of not falling in love with it.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    There is only a 1/2" difference in radius between a 26 (559mm) rim and a 27.5 (584mm) rim so a 5" tire on a 26 rim is going to have essentially the same diameter with more float when compared to 4.5 Barbe.
    The JJ5 and the Vee Apache Fattyslick both roll faster than anything currently available in a 27.5 fat. As far as off-road traction...I'll leave that for you to decide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I`ve got my 2018 Farley 5 on order and unfortunately, an XD isn't available for these hubs. I`m going to build up a set of wheels on some Hope Fatsno 4 and I was wondering if anyone is riding these carbon rims from LightBicycle.com. 75mm external and 70mm internal. 580G.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/75mm-wi...ompatible.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey, for the people who tried both 26 and 27.5 fat wheels for tougher single track riding-

Which felt better to you or not enough difference to notice?

I have a carbon Beargrease with bluto (4.8 on front) and was thinking of trying the B Fat for my next bike...
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by dirt-nerd View Post
    Hey, for the people who tried both 26 and 27.5 fat wheels for tougher single track riding-

Which felt better to you or not enough difference to notice?

I have a carbon Beargrease with bluto (4.8 on front) and was thinking of trying the B Fat for my next bike...
    Thanks in advance

B Fat is both faster and more efficient than 26 fat, for the same reasons that the majority of XC and trail bikes these days run 29" wheels/tires instead of 26" or 27.5".

mtbr member
    Everyone moves toward the next wheel size up. I went 26 to 27.5 to 29, and now I'm back to 26 fat. Next investment will be a set of Minions or JJs.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not always, plenty of folks float around to different sizes, it really depends on tire width and terrain.

I'm all about 27.5 because the 3", 4", 4.5" tires suit my needs. And though I prefer a taller wheel like a 29er, find that too much height is not always ideal.

For example, I prefer to ride technical distance (all day rocky) with a 27.5 x 3", I didn't find the love with a 29+; I found it to ungainly and less agile. Maybe more cruiser XC riding would be fine on a 29+, kinda like I did with a tandem.

For real rock work, I can either ride the 27.5 x 3 or bump to a 27.5 x 3.8, just depends on my needs and the conditions.

I just bumped up from a 26 x 4.8 to a 27.5 x 4.5, taller wheels and more bb clearance for snow.

I can't honestly see a reason to run 26" wheels now. Even on my munis I either run 27+ for XC/flow or 24 x 4" for tech and loose soils.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Everyone moves toward the next wheel size up. I went 26 to 27.5 to 29, and now I'm back to 26 fat. Next investment will be a set of Minions or JJs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Not always, plenty of folks float around to different sizes, it really depends on tire width and terrain.

I'm all about 27.5 because the 3", 4", 4.5" tires suit my needs. And though I prefer a taller wheel like a 29er, find that too much height is not always ideal.

For example, I prefer to ride technical distance (all day rocky) with a 27.5 x 3", I didn't find the love with a 29+; I found it to ungainly and less agile. Maybe more cruiser XC riding would be fine on a 29+, kinda like I did with a tandem.

For real rock work, I can either ride the 27.5 x 3 or bump to a 27.5 x 3.8, just depends on my needs and the conditions.

I just bumped up from a 26 x 4.8 to a 27.5 x 4.5, taller wheels and more bb clearance for snow.

I can't honestly see a reason to run 26" wheels now. Even on my munis I either run 27+ for XC/flow or 24 x 4" for tech and loose soils.
    I can: $$$$

That is just another reason. I love 26 fat, just came from 27.5, and plan to eventually buy a nicer set of 26" 80 mm wheels for off-road and commit the current hoops to street/urban duty. If I can score a set of lightly used 26" fat wheels cheap from someone going to 27.5, all the better!

Anchorage, AK
    I am sticking with 26 until Schwalbe comes out with a 27.5 Jumbo Jim. The tire is that good.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I am sticking with 26 until Schwalbe comes out with a 27.5 Jumbo Jim. The tire is that good.
    Me too. Except I'll also be waiting until there's a decent suspension fork out that clears the tire AND the downtube on my farley's frame.

mtbr member
    I really like everything I read about JJs. No desire for suspension here (OK, with the exception of the Thudbuster).
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There will not be a good fork that clears your frame.

We're lucky to have the Mastodon... I heart Manitou.

It'd be much easier to swap frames, esp when you can get a nice rigid fat frame for $600-800. I happen to have a large Wozo for sale

Of course it's cheaper to buy a complete with a Mastodon... I think Trek is selling Farley's that way these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy99 View Post
    Me too. Except I'll also be waiting until there's a decent suspension fork out that clears the tire AND the downtube on my farley's frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    There will not be a good fork that clears your frame.

We're lucky to have the Mastodon... I heart Manitou.

It'd be much easier to swap frames, esp when you can get a nice rigid fat frame for $600-800. I happen to have a large Wozo for sale

Of course it's cheaper to buy a complete with a Mastodon... I think Trek is selling Farley's that way these days.
    I was hoping that with the adjuster on the fork leg filed down, or maybe an adjuster redesign next year, they might fit. Trek is selling farley 7s (alu frame) with the mastodon, but the frame doesn't have clearance, they use a downtube bumper. It would seem like insanity to do that on a carbon frame though - bumper or not, one big wipeout could total the frame.

I'll probably just live with the bluto, I don't really ride that hard so it suits me pretty well, and feels amazing for lightish singletrack with the carbon farley. Be nice to have an upgrade option though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Really wish that Dillinger 4, Jumbo Jim, and an ultra-fat tire (e.g. Snowshoe 2XL) came in the 27.5 size. Probably lots of people sticking with 26 until their favorite tires are ported over. 27.5 version of Dillinger 4 is probably what's most sorely needed; every winter race is won on Dillinger 4 (with the exception of backcountry events such as ITI that sometimes require fatter tires).

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Really wish that Dillinger 4, Jumbo Jim, and an ultra-fat tire (e.g. Snowshoe 2XL) came in the 27.5 size. Probably lots of people sticking with 26 until their favorite tires are ported over. 27.5 version of Dillinger 4 is probably what's most sorely needed; every winter race is won on Dillinger 4 (with the exception of backcountry events such as ITI that sometimes require fatter tires).
    I am pretty sure that the ITI is won on Dillingers too.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yup, D5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

27.5X4 Who's excited? Who's not?

Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    I think you nailed it. My 27.5+/29er bike suits me for 3 seasons and Iíve invested in 26" fat and am happy. 27.5" fat doesn't make sense as my 27.5+ can do what it does in the winter (hardpack) and 26x5 exceeds when it gets deep. I don't want or need an El Camino.

Edit: this applies for where I live and ride. MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Minion 27.5 x 3.8 FBF/FBR on Scraper 50mm or Mulefut 50mm is tiiiight. Hodag was pretty bad but the FBF/FBR are a royal pain to take on/off. Any corroborating experience or advice?

Oh and would the 27.5 Barbegazi or Gnarwhal on a 50mm rim fit in the Mastodon Property Std?

Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Oh and would the 27.5 Barbegazi or Gnarwhal on a 50mm rim fit in the Mastodon?

Yes, huge clearance.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Minion 27.5 x 3.8 FBF/FBR on Scraper 50mm or Mulefut 50mm is tiiiight. Hodag was pretty bad but the FBF/FBR are a royal pain to take on/off. Any corroborating experience or advice?
    installed FBF/FBR on the scrapers last week. Took multipe airings to get the bead to seat. I have not dismounted them yet, so i cannot comment there. I can't image it will get any easier...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got my Hodags up and running (thanks Mikesee), great tires, much lighter than the Minions, sealed well on Duroc 50's.

It seems like the Hodag run firmer than the Minions, so I'm using lower pressures by a couple PSI. They stick well to rock, work fine in soft, probably should have got them first ... I hear Mike saying "I told you so".

It will be nice when more tires are available in this format, but the Minions and Barbes are a good start.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yes, huge clearance.
    Mike, in your experience, is there a currently-available rim width on which a Barbegazi 27.5 might be too tight a fit if running a Mastodon Std fork? Something to stay away from? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    Mike, in your experience, is there a currently-available rim width on which a Barbegazi 27.5 might be too tight a fit if running a Mastodon Std fork? Something to stay away from? Thanks.
    Any rim you'd want to run it on (60 to 80mm or so) it's still going to fit fine in the Mastodon. That said, not sure if it'll work in the STD, because of crown interference at bottom out. Pretty sure you'll need the EXT version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Barbes on Jackalopes, 8psi, 1/8 crown clearance on a Mastodon STD. That's not a lot, but it's about the same as a 29+ Minion on a Bluto.

Nice thing about the STD, you can add a 10mm spacer, keep your A-C and still get up to 140mm travel.

Gotta love the Mastodon, so versatile.

Only dead people are old
    I started with Hodag 3.8 on a Fatback Skookum on Duroc 50 rims only because I had a defective Panaracer. Iím really happy this happened since the Hodag has been the best. It measures out to 3.5Ē which makes the ride unbelievably smooth over the worst rock beds.

mtbr member
    Wishing for more 27.5x4.5Ē options. Like a Dillinger for a front. The gnarwhal is too much of a beast and i dont want to grip stud my barb.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm interested in the Rocky Mountain Suzi-Q -50 model. The narrow (for a fatbike) Q factor, more aggressive (again, for a fatbike) geometry, and 27.5 wheels interest me.

One way I could possibly see using the bike is for endurance gravel racing. Typically, the minimum tire size to race the fatbike class for gravel is 4".

Does anyone make an actual 27.5x4" tire (i.e. not something labeled 3.8")?

Follow up, what's the fastest rolling 27.5x4+ tire that will fit that frame (RM says 27.4x4.2 max)?

Thanks.

WNC Native
    Terrene has a 27.5 x 4.0 Cake Eater tire coming

27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-cake-eater.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mickstar View Post
    I'm interested in the Rocky Mountain Suzi-Q -50 model. The narrow (for a fatbike) Q factor, more aggressive (again, for a fatbike) geometry, and 27.5 wheels interest me.

One way I could possibly see using the bike is for endurance gravel racing. Typically, the minimum tire size to race the fatbike class for gravel is 4".

Does anyone make an actual 27.5x4" tire (i.e. not something labeled 3.8")?

Follow up, what's the fastest rolling 27.5x4+ tire that will fit that frame (RM says 27.4x4.2 max)?

Thanks.
    I think most fatbike rules state 3.8 or wider tire, and I would think they go by the size listed on the tire, not by measuring. I could be completely wrong though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Terrene has a 27.5 x 4.0 Cake Eater tire coming

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cake Eater.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	1163260
    Yes they do, I've got one on order

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011