Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 26x5.05 XXL

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I agree, my measurements are tubed at roughly 12 PSI.
    Well, this only means that there is hope about fitting them in my Moonlander....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by albystarvation View Post
    I agree, my measurements are tubed at roughly 12 PSI.
    Well, this only means that there is hope about fitting them in my Moonlander....
    Please do update us on if it does, I really want to get a set for my Moonlander!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    Fits the front of my Blackborow just fine. I was totally surprised to see it actually fit the rear of the Blackborow !!

Attachment 1006294
    Can't tell from the picture (too dark) how far do you have the alternator drops swung back?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Yep, production casing width is somewhat narrower than the prototypes that I ran this winter.
    Why the change? Based on feedback you and other companies returned to them?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Can't tell from the picture (too dark) how far do you have the alternator drops swung back?

Why the change? Based on feedback you and other companies returned to them?
    Not sure, probably from other companies, as we urged them to stick to 5.5''.
    Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Found my notes, here are the measurements for our production version 2XLs:

On 100mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 5.22''
    Knob width: 5.10''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

On 80mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 4.85''
    Knob width: 5.00''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

For comparison, Snowshoe XL 4.8'' tubed on the same rim measured to 4.71'' casing and 4.60'' knob width and 29.8'' rolling diameter.
    The numbers for Jumbo Jim 4.8'' were 4.76'' casing, 4.58'' knob width and 30.0'' rolling diameter.
    Last edited by Espen W; 08-05-2015 at 03:05 AM.
    Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    crazy! i'm sure there's a couple blackborrow owners who just perked up
    More than a couple! I was skeptical of the rear fit, since the clearance is somewhat tight with the Lou's already. But I do have the drops all the way forward.

Good news.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They are adjusted as far back as they can go. I'm not sure if this will work with 2x10 on the small ring though, so keep that in mind. Mine is setup 1x10.

Espen, any ideas about when the 3XL will be available??

I took these pics this morning, while it may not be as impressive as the prototype shown earlier in the thread, production model is still a big step up from Lou's on Clownshoes.
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150804_054754.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150804_055107.jpg

TrailCrawler - How close does the tire come to the cable guide/bolt on the inside of the fork? Such stupid placement on Salsa's part. When I inquired, they said I could use one of the bolts on the cage mounts on the outside of the fork, which I've done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    TrailCrawler - How close does the tire come to the cable guide/bolt on the inside of the fork? Such stupid placement on Salsa's part. When I inquired, they said I could use one of the bolts on the cage mounts on the outside of the fork, which I've done.
    It's hard for me to say right now, the tire is mounted on the rear wheel. I held it up in the fork and took a guesstimate of 1/3-1/2" looks like it would be below the widest part of the tire casing. Either way, tire clearance on the fork is good.

mtbr member
    Wow...anyone know if this tire will fit on a 2x10 setup? Or with a Bluto fork?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Wow...anyone know if this tire will fit on a 2x10 setup? Or with a Bluto fork?
    No on the Bluto.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    They are adjusted as far back as they can go. I'm not sure if this will work with 2x10 on the small ring though, so keep that in mind. Mine is setup 1x10.

Espen, any ideas about when the 3XL will be available??

I took these pics this morning, while it may not be as impressive as the prototype shown earlier in the thread, production model is still a big step up from Lou's on Clownshoes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150804_054754.jpg 
Views:	2887 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	1006472

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150804_055107.jpg 
Views:	4405 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	1006473

Has anyone given a measurement from the axle to the outside center of the tire?
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Has anyone given a measurement from the axle to the outside center of the tire?
    Post #206 notes the diameter.....?

Post #206 notes the diameter.....?
    I think he might mean the horizontal measurement from the edge of the tire to the face of the axle. (maybe I'm wrong). It would be somewhat like measuring the backspacing on a car wheel.

mtbr member
    any info from Mainlander owners? I can't get to the shop for mine yet.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Alright guys more pics! Just got another Snowshoe 2XL for my Blackborow for a matching set. Bring on the snow!

tire inflated to 20 psi, fork clearance
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173531.jpg

tire inflated to 20 psi, fork/cable clearance is pretty tight.
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173542.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173519.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173505.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173555.jpg

mtbr member
    good lord! rear too?
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    good lord! rear too?
    Yup I posted a bunch of pics on page 8 of this thread. Chain clearance is tight at 11 psi, so I won't go any higher than that. My drivetrain is also 1x10. I don't think this tire will work on the smaller chainring of a 2x10, so I lucked out!

What's the word on your Moonlander?

mtbr member
    i can't get to the shop!!! I'm crazy lol. its got to fit on at least the front or i will get the ICT fork to run it. the rear looks tight with the Lou, but I'm gonna try.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Son of a Gun, WOW

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i can't get to the shop!!! I'm crazy lol. its got to fit on at least the front or i will get the ICT fork to run it. the rear looks tight with the Lou, but I'm gonna try.
    That sucks! If you end up getting a ICT fork, you will have a ton of clearance. I put one on my Origin8 Crawler, pics on page 8, excellent fork. Good luck!

turtles make me hot
    Crap. I don't think that tire will fit on my 907.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Where can I buy them? Any word on availability and pricing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had to go to my local bike shop. They ordered the 2xl through JBimporters. They show as in stock in PA, NY, MN, and WA. So I would say there is plenty in stock right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm in Canada, so that kinda complicates things... But going to be in Massachusetts the last week of August. Would like to pick up a pair somewhere en route.

What's the retail on them?

mtbr member
    Oh gees. I want. But need to know if they will fit a Moonlander with Clownshoes....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Son of a Gun, WOW
    Can I just say, that makes my pants feel funny.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    I'm in Canada, so that kinda complicates things... But going to be in Massachusetts the last week of August. Would like to pick up a pair somewhere en route.

What's the retail on them?
    I can't give you an honest answer on retail. I highly recommend you call a bicycle shop along you're route and ask if they could order you one and ask what they would charge for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'll check with a couple local shops to see how bad the "north-of-the-border"gouge is this week... Pretty sure I'll end up buying while I'm on vacay though. ;-)

Geez, I haven't been on here in awhile and didn't know they were actually going to production with these. Saw the teaser shots last year. Kinda overboard if you ask me. I actually sold my Bud/Lou and going with the new 45nrth D/FBeists. Bud/Lou were just overkill for everything - and I'm in MN the fatbike capital of the world

But seriously. There is a point to which you only need so much float. Over the years I got to that point and realized I only like riding full-on or somewhat groomed trails in winter or at least riding on snowmobile tracks on the river. 4.8's aren't needed for that, and I don't see anywhere these new behemoth tires would be needed, other than to have the "wow/neat/new" factor. They look like they would take any last bit of talent away that it takes to ride an already easy to ride fat bike.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

This place needs an enema
    On a 100mm rim, with a tube, at 20psi, they do not come close to fitting a Bluto. Kinda like a FUPA all crammed up under the arch. No way, not at any pressure.

Same rim, same pressure, they fit the Lauf Carbonara. ~5-6mm clearance per side, and inches of clearance on height.

Will be awhile til I bother setting this rim/tire up tubeless, but I suspect that once the tire has grown/stretched on that rim it'll be tight to the sides on the Lauf.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Kinda overboard if you ask me. But seriously. There is a point to which you only need so much float. I don't see anywhere these new behemoth tires would be needed, other than to have the "wow/neat/new" factor. They look like they would take any last bit of talent away that it takes to ride an already easy to ride fat bike.

Spoken like someone that lives in MN, where a 3.8" treadless Endo is 'enough' 90% of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Spoken like someone that lives in MN, where a 3.8" treadless Endo is 'enough' 90% of the time!
    Haha

Hey we have mountains of snow most winters, but you know this tire ain't getting you through that until it's packed down anyway

I thought I'd come on the ol MTBR and arm-chair speculate once though.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    For my winter needs they look ideal. Until a 6" bike is made right. But I can understand people out for sport may not like the added resistance. For me it equals better flotation for hunting and packing meat on snogo trails

mtbr member
    So it has plenty of room up front on the ICT, any chance it would fit better in the rear than on the Blackborow? Chanin clearance wise?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ok, finally some actual test on the Moonlander.
    First, let me state my situation and goals: I started investigating in fatbikes in February. Planned to build up one during the course of summer, to have it ready for fall/winter. the primary use was for snow riding, but I wasn't wary of using it also as a daily rider during other season, leaving the full sus enduro bike for mountain trips, thus avoiding heavy maintenance chores on the aforementioned bike fork & shock.
    I was wondering which frame to buy, when I stumbled upon a 18" Moonlander framekit for peanuts. I snagged it up: frame, non-offest fork, headset, front mech mount.

I was more than happy, given the ability of the Moonie to use the ( then) bigger tires available,,,, then the Snowshoe 2XL popped up. I found an Italian store selling them, and bought a pair. My frame is still unbuilt, so I made this test:
    - Mounted the SnowShoe 2XL on a Fatboy 15x150mm wheel I had lying around: rim is the 90 mm Fatboy. Tire is tubed.
    - Botched up a 135QR-> 15mm adapter: pulled out the Hope Fatsno 15x150 mm hub spacers, fabbed up a fake through axle to put in the Moonlander fork.
    Mounted the wheel on the fork and took these images:
    26x5.05 XXL-img_0419.jpg26x5.05 XXL-img_0421.jpg26x5.05 XXL-img_0424.jpg

As you may see, horizontal clearance is around .4", while vertical is .75".
    Quite narrow. The real problem is that, on my wheel, the tire ( NOT the rim!) has .6" of lateral runout. I don't know if it's a mounting problem, or the tire's carcass is somewhat warped. Of course, this makes the tire rub on the fork's crown while turning.
    So, IMHO, there is no chance of putting one of those behemots in a Moonlander fork: even if you succeed into mounting the tire perfectly straight & true, any hit that displaces the carcass even so slightly would result into wheelrub. Moreover, i consider my test plagued by the fact that I mounted the tire tubed : tubeless expansion would surely worsen the situation.
    Needless to say that back wheel situation could only be worse: I didn't had the chance to try and assemble an offset rear wheel to test it, nor will I, given the front wheel result.
    So, I am currently considering switching to another frame.
    What do you think?

mtbr member
    oh boy time for a new fork.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    and new fork on the way. Hay why not, got to early adopt. OG from day 1!
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes, I suppose I could order an ICT fork... or rather, use the old Lefty I got in my storage.
    But, each of those fork would raise the front end about 40-80 mm, slacken the head tube and raise the BB. And the Lefty would force me to build another offset front wheel.
    Maybe, too much hassle.

mtbr member
    well i got one tire and can get a fork for cost so i got to do it. I'm interested to see what it does to the front end. got to give it a go.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well i got one tire and can get a fork for cost so i got to do it. I'm interested to see what it does to the front end. got to give it a go.
    ICT fork on my Crawler completely changed the handling of the bike (for the better!). The bike feels very stable at low speeds, whereas the old fork was too responsive. Also beware of the top tube!! It will be even higher now! Otherwise, excellent fork I have no regrets replacing my old fork! And it allows me to swap front wheels between my Blackborow and Crawler!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    So it has plenty of room up front on the ICT, any chance it would fit better in the rear than on the Blackborow? Chanin clearance wise?
    I was lookin at a Blackbarrow today in Anchorage. It had 4.8 Lou's on Clown Shoe rims. Clerance was minimum with the 4.8s . IMO 5.05" would not fit the Blackbarrow. There didn't look to have enough room to put any kind of fenders on it with the Lou's that were on that bike.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about the ICT in the rear. I suspect a new frame is around the corner that fits them front and rear on 100's no problem.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I was lookin at a Blackbarrow today in Anchorage. It had 4.8 Lou's on Clown Shoe rims. Clerance was minimum with the 4.8s . IMO 5.05" would not fit the Blackbarrow. There didn't look to have enough room to put any kind of fenders on it with the Lou's that were on that bike.
    Ummm.... 26x5.05 XXL

They appear to fit that Blackborow.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert
    '15 Crossrip Ltd

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Since you didn't read through the thread to see the pics of the blackborrow with the xxl's already on it, I won't address that point...

But who makes full-coverage fenders for 4.8's anyways? There are those custom made wooden fenders, and the trials ones velobike runs, but other than those, all other fatbike fenders I know of have been seat-post mounted anyways.
    So why worry? The tires fit in a blackborrow, and noone makes full-coverage fenders for the blackborrow that would affect the tire clearance.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    With the same bottom bracket width, same crank, same rear hub spacing, and as long as the frames are welded somewhat true the chain clearance will be the same. You can tweak it some by dishing the wheel, crankset, or cassette configuration but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by albystarvation View Post
    ... I found an Italian store selling them, and bought a pair.
    Could you please post a link to the store? I can't find these in any european stores. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    accessori borse bikepacking fat bike - GOMMA 26X4.00 VRB321 MISSION...

there you go, though I fear I snagged up the last pair they got in stock.....

Quote Originally Posted by enemy1 View Post
    Could you please post a link to the store? I can't find these in any european stores. Thanks!

mtbr member
    i ordered two. i know i will use at least one.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So a customer stopped by with his Salsa set up with a pair, got to ride it around, pretty impressed.

Checked, J+B had them, 2 are on the way.

MahOOOOOssive freakin' tires.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast