Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 26x5.05 XXL

mtbr member
    i rode a bit with 5lbs in the tubes tonight. its crazy! they barely squish. i was monstering up cobble stone curbs with ease. they are defiantly next level tires. There are some draw backs though. the weight is a bit noticeable and my bike is an inch taller. I need to find a fork that fits these that isn't as tall as the ICT fork. A bike built around these will be crazy! or just buy a smaller framed moony lol

26x5.05 XXL-img_2395.jpg
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Do they still make the Moonlander?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Surly they do!!!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Mikesee, quit being butthurt because I called you on internet bullying behavior out like 2 months ago. It's a little sad that you just wait longingly for me to post so you can quick attempt to enact internet revenge.

The self steer was a characteristic of the other sized Snowshoe tires, devistators, vee 8s, missions, and basically all of their tires with tread patterns designed by Vee. Exceptions seem to be the Floaters and the Fatback tires.

Or if you don't believe me, let me google that for you and you can click one of the numerous links to threads on MTBR alone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vee+...orums.mtbr.com
    You flatter yourself in many ways, but you're still off by a country mile on self-steer being brand specific. Proper inflation for the surface ridden cures self steer 95% of the time, period.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Lets get this thread back on topic. I'd like to hear more about the XXL ride characteristics.

mtbr member
    agreed, but until there is a specific bike built around these the topic of do they fit this and that is going to be discussed a lot.

amazing how nice they ride for their size.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

turtles make me hot
    I'll bet they won't fit my 907. Even if they do initially, they won't after a few months tubeless.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    A 907 with that sloped top tube would be nice for these since you lose an extra inch of stand over.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    i wouldn't run out and grab one for the rear just yet. i think a standard qr may not have the clamping force to secure the rear axle. with the Lou i ran the tire all the way up front and now its 3/4 the way back. A bolt on hub would be the best setup.

Attachment 1010639
    Get a pair of Surly Monkey Nuts. I had that happen on my Moonlander a couple of times and they solved the problem with the QR wanting to slide back. But yes, I also did get a better XT skewer too.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Nextie 90mm rim, tubeless, stretched at ~20psi for more than a week, then aired down to single digit riding pressures.

Roughly 5mm between closest knob and fork leg.

If I'm getting after it, out of the saddle, tired and sloppy on something chunky, rooty, or messy, I can hear the knobs lightly graze the fork leg.

Haven't been able to do that yet when descending. Will keep trying.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I don't mean this in an offensive way and am honestly just curious, and this is probably the wrong thread, but how durable are those Lauf forks? Like...what happens if you go off a 2.5 - 3' drop a little front heavy? Nothing?

Just kind of mind blowing thinking about it and I honestly have no idea where to set expectations.
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    you're still off by a country mile on self-steer being brand specific. Proper inflation for the surface ridden cures self steer 95% of the time, period.
    +1 to ∞.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Thyroid_Bike View Post
    I don't mean this in an offensive way and am honestly just curious, and this is probably the wrong thread, but how durable are those Lauf forks? Like...what happens if you go off a 2.5 - 3' drop a little front heavy?

It would explode sending carbon shrapnel at your chest, face and neck possibly lacerating you.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    It would explode sending carbon shrapnel at your chest, face and neck possibly lacerating you.
    Can't afford not to buy it !!

Actually, I ended up waking up at midnight and did some googlin' and apparently they do...just fine?
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

Anyone that has this mounted on the rear of their bike right now--can you measure chainstay length?

turtles make me hot
    Anyone that has this mounted on the rear of their bike right now--can you measure chainstay length?
    Yes... Please.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i would like to build a fat bike around these tires(literally, lol).

i see front forks are not much of a problem.

have any frames been made for these yet?. the pics of one here look like they have very little clearance. carbon frame would be nice.....

on that note will snow that sticks to this tire slow down the ride if it is constantly getting shredded off because of lack of frame clearance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    i would like to build a fat bike around these tires(literally, lol).
    Me too.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Carver was taking about having on ready for these tires.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone care to post some tire dimensions? Looking to get a custom rigid fork built but don't want anymore axle-crownrace than necessary.

turtles make me hot
    I emailed Vee about fitting these tires on my 907. They said it's a No Go.
    Weird thing is, on all the websites, my chainstays are longer than the Moonlander and the Blackboro. I guess the gussets are too close or something.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post
    Anyone care to post some tire dimensions?
    26x5.05 XXL
    26x5.05 XXL

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I emailed Vee about fitting these tires on my 907. They said it's a No Go.
    Weird thing is, on all the websites, my chainstays are longer than the Moonlander and the Blackboro. I guess the gussets are too close or something.
    Which email are you sending to? I've tried multiple times to contact them and have not once heard back.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried these on a Sturgis yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Anyone tried these on a Sturgis yet?
    'Fraid so... We are SOL. :-(

RAKC
    Looking at the size difference in the pics im not as interested in them now. Be much better as a 24" tire so they weren't stupidly tall. I was curious about the Sturgis thing too till I realized how gigantic these tires are. The idea of them is sweet, just getting impractical now

mtbr member
    there is no hiding the height of these. If there was a frame that fit these A ok with no problem and you wanted to roll these i would get that frame in a smaller size. That 1" made my bike feel very tall and I was running Bud/Lou.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

RAKC
    there is no hiding the height of these. If there was a frame that fit these A ok with no problem and you wanted to roll these i would get that frame in a smaller size. That 1" made my bike feel very tall and I was running Bud/Lou.

Except frame size wont change that, bottom bracket is still in the same place so your seat will still be higher, same place as it is now. All you'll end up with is possibly too short ett length and end up with a long stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My offer still stands if anyone has one they want to sell. I'm a buyer.

mtbr member
    As far as fine bike handling the tallness of the bike with the 2 XL may be different. But as far as riding over stuff. Particularly snow. The higher BB is a plus. It keeps the pedal up out of the snow a bit more. . IMHO, . Sinking in the snow just sucks !!!!!

The Boris/907/KHS/Cogburn style drooped top bar would be handy with these tires. They NEED to come out with an AMC, Paceresque frame :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Except frame size wont change that, bottom bracket is still in the same place so your seat will still be higher, same place as it is now. All you'll end up with is possibly too short ett length and end up with a long stem.

From a practical stand point. That wouldn't be that bad a thing. As long as the tires fit and functioned fine. . An angled seat post ect.

The problem with the Blackborrow and the ICT. Is their color. At least as far as Alaskan hunting and trapping use goes. And the Blackborrow doesn't have fork brazeons for racks.
    I know most people won't be doing what I do on these bikes. But a nice light dull color like sand or a light faded green would b awesome. I guess I got spoiled with my Cogburn in Realtree Snow camo :-)

mtbr member
    when i said a smaller frame i meant for standover reasons because my standover is gone. Its just a whole different bike now.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

From a practical stand point. That wouldn't be that bad a thing. As long as the tires fit and functioned fine. . An angled seat post ect.

The problem with the Blackborrow and the ICT. Is their color. At least as far as Alaskan hunting and trapping use goes. And the Blackborrow doesn't have fork brazeons for racks.
    I know most people won't be doing what I do on these bikes. But a nice light dull color like sand or a light faded green would b awesome. I guess I got spoiled with my Cogburn in Realtree Snow camo :-)
    Buy a $5 can of spray paint.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Which email are you sending to? I've tried multiple times to contact them and have not once heard back.
    sales@veetireco.com
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I am not convinced it fits any current frame when you take the inevitable tire stretch and wheel deflection into account.
    Let's see, Blackborow ordered, thanks to TrailCrawler, it was your fault.

Now I have to find a couple of these tires. Is somebody got these ordered from that italian store? Do anybody know any store where these are in stock?
    Last edited by Läskimasa; 09-13-2015 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    There seems to be two different versions of this:
    26x5.05 XXL-rl16id.jpg
    Where to buy these? No answer from Italy.
    Edit: Worries over, got them ordered from Italy. Instantly almost all gone again.
    Last edited by Läskimasa; 09-19-2015 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    I thot I saw a pic of them with stud holes in them from the factory.

mtbr member
    I´ve seen a picture of it too:

mtbr member
    TrailCrawler has it in Blackborow in the longest alternator dropout position which gives 457 mm chainstay length.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Thanks for this. Just emailed them and will see if I actually get a response from them (not expecting one though).

In the mean time, I know there's some of you out there that bought these tires and found out they don't fit your frame. If you will sell it, I will buy one! I have a frame that was made for this tire! (Thanks Walt!)

mtbr member
    So, what is the recommended rim width to run a 5+ inch tire? (min / max)

Also, if you guys were going to build a wheel set for snow tires, are there any that stand out to you?

Thanks

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Photo View Post

Also, if you guys were going to build a wheel set for snow tires, are there any that stand out to you?

Thanks
    85-100 mm. Nextie or Hed.
    --Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Photo View Post

Thanks
    Depends on where you're going to ride them, for how long, with what sort of load, and what your expectations and experience are.

I've ridden them on Nextie 90mm rims and ClownShoe 100mm rims thus far. Both worked fine.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    The protos (that were 5.6'') had stud holes. I have one with stud holes and another with studs (factory). However, due to the tallness and relative skinnyness of the knobs, the studs had very little support (some of the knobs had the stud base almost poking out through the side) so it was decided to do the first generation 2XL without stud holes. Studs work the best with shorter/wider/stiffer knobs that will not deflect (as much), but rather provide a solid base for the stud to dig into the ice. For example using the standard XL knob pattern with the 2XL casing would make for a super high flotation tire with excellent ice performance.
    That said, it appears that the transition knobs of the production 2XL are bigger than on my protos, but the center knobs are not as wide.
    My studded 5.6'' proto is actually only 1680g, so seems that the casing was beefed up for production.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    Depends on where you're going to ride them, for how long, with what sort of load, and what your expectations and experience are.

I've ridden them on Nextie 90mm rims and ClownShoe 100mm rims thus far. Both worked fine.
    Mikesee do you think the Nextie off set rims would would on a Moonlander? They would be a nice way to offset the extra weight of these tires.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Mikesee do you think the Nextie off set rims would would on a Moonlander? They would be a nice way to offset the extra weight of these tires.
    For the 100mm rim? Their website is unclear on the offset amount--they call it "+/-20mm" but I think that translates to 10mm from centerline, which I wouldn't think would be enough for a Moonie. Plug the #'s into Freespoke and get the facts, but understand that this is an assumption until Nextie confirms the actual offset from center.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone tried them on a Yampa yet??

Must... resist...urge..
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Light-bicycle has a 90mm with 19.5mm offset. Can be dual or one sided.

mtbr member
    Well I just pulled the trigger on a set of 81mm (external measurement) wheels that I plan on mounting up my snow tires on. I would have preferred a wider wheel, but the price was too good to pass on. (Assuming they work )

Do ya'll think I can get this tire to preform properly on that width wheel or should I be looking at something a little narrower

Thanks

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    Anyone tried them on a Yampa yet??

Must... resist...urge..
    Bud barely fit on my yampa with a 100mm rim.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offset info. Didn't realize there is more to it. Never liked building wheels.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    I took these pics this morning, while it may not be as impressive as the prototype shown earlier in the thread, production model is still a big step up from Lou's on Clownshoes.
    Attachment 1006472
    Attachment 1006473
    Another angle compared to Lou:
    26x5.05 XXL-2xl-vs.-lou.jpg

Now for sale in VEE's own site too: Snowshoe 2XL | VEE Tire Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hmm... Silica compound or PSC Compound? I'm assuming that the Silica Compound would be better wearing but not as grippy as the PSC? Thought I read somewhere that PSC is pure silica (and white?).

Rocking on a Rocky
    Hmm... Silica compound or PSC Compound? I'm assuming that the Silica Compound would be better wearing but not as grippy as the PSC? Thought I read somewhere that PSC is pure silica (and white?).
    You can get the Bulldozers in off white.

mtbr member
    I
    I think so too, PSC is softer = better grip = wear faster. And $20 more expensive. I think they are meant for the winter use only.
    TIRE COMPOUNDS
    Silica – A compound designed to hold traction at lower temps. Rated 57A on Vee’s hardness scale.
    PSC – Pure Silica Compound – Even better cold weather traction. Rated 50A for hardness.

mtbr member
    I got these today. Weight are 1844 g and 1911 g! There is quite much tread, in the middle is 7 mm (same as Lou), but on the edges there is 8.5 mm.

Tread width is 135 mm (as flat).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    26x5.05 XXL-p4pb12732740.jpg

Good clearance in the front of my 2016 Kona Wo. Didn't fit in the rear. Knobs hit the seat stays.
    Both tires were pretty crooked from the pack. It will be interesting to see if they straighten out overtime.
    Weights 1900g and 1880g.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sweet looking tire! I bought a Motobecane Boris and sold the Bluto fork for an ebay carbon 150mm fork. The switch lightened up the front end a lot, but it also lowered the front end noticeably, even with the Surly Bud up front (Nate in back; Bud didn't fit so I never tried Lou). This may be a solution to bump the front end and BB back to normal levels.

Has anyone rode them on singletrack yet? How do they handle the trail? Are they super slow on pavement? I mainly use the fatty in winter conditions but curious hwo they handle year round terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips-Up View Post
    Has anyone rode them on singletrack yet? How do they handle the trail? Are they super slow on pavement?
    They won't fit on singletrack. You need at least a bike lane for the tread to all fit.

Rocking on a Rocky
    They look like a single track maker. New trails just go a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The first one didn't straighten out after a night at high pressure.
    And by crooked I mean: Vee Tire Snowshoe 2XL Video - Pinkbike
    The second one isn't any better. Right after installation: Vee Tire Snowshoe 2XL Video - Pinkbike
    Both are crooked in the same direction and seems that the place is also the same. (At the blue text) Seems like a quality issue. They are still ok to ride and the wobble isn't noticeable on the trail.

mtbr member
    Could be the rim?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Could be the rim?
    - I checked my rim in a truing stand
    - Cleaned the inside of the rim
    - Trimmed the extra rubber from the bead. There were some places with lot of rubber from the extrusion/mold process.
    - Installed on a different place on the rim

Still there is a wobble is on the white/blue text. See video: Vee Tire Snowshoe 2XL (after bead trim) Video - Pinkbike
    And like I said it was rideable even with the bad wobble. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    I'm not sure if this will work with 2x10 on the small ring though, so keep that in mind. Mine is setup 1x10.
    Finally I got mine Blackborow assembled. And yes, the chainline is too tight with 2x10, but I installed 2 mm spacer between the driveside crank and now it's clear. No other modifications needed.

Last edited by Läskimasa; 10-23-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: pic link didn't worked any more

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    Finally I got mine Blackborrow assembled. And yes, the chainline is too tight with 2x10, but I installed 2 mm spacer between the driveside crank and now it's clear. No other modifications needed.
    I was wondering if someone was ever going to try it on a 2x10 Blackborow! Very cool! Thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    available direct: SnowShoe 2XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ok, this is my take after the failed attempt with the Moonlander frame:

26x5.05 XXL-img_0632small.jpg
    26x5.05 XXL-img_0630small.jpg

this is a 2xl, on a 103 mm rim.
    Split tube tubeless, with roughly 10 PSI ( but i can't be confident in my floor pump's gauge, have to buy a proper one).
    the wheel is brutally offset. Of course, the Lefty will be 'Mendonized' to "raise it's fatness to a proper level"....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albystarvation View Post
    Ok, this is my take after the failed attempt with the Moonlander frame:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632small.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	1020734

Name:	IMG_0630small.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	1020735

this is a 2xl, on a 103 mm rim.
    Split tube tubeless, with roughly 10 PSI ( but i can't be confident in my floor pump's gauge, have to buy a proper one).
    the wheel is brutally offset. Of course, the Lefty will be 'Mendonized' to "raise it's fatness to a proper level"....
    did it not fit your Moonlander frame?
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The frame, probably yes. The fork, ( as you may see in my previous posts in this very thread) not without incurring the danger of rubbing should the tire casing have the slightest run-out.
    Fact is, my 2XL DO HAVE a little bit of wobble in the casing, so using the Moonie frame would have implied changing the fork to a longer one, thus modifying geometry..... In the end, I resorted to have a custom frame fabbed for >5" tires, fork atc 520 mm ( like my Lefty).
    Back to topic, i think also that le Lefty is the one and only sus fork that could host this juggernaut......

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  9.7 KB

Hooray! I have a Snowshoe 2XL (26 x 5.05) mounted on the front of my Mongoose Vinson without any special modifications. The rear tire is a Snowshoe XL 2(6 x 4.08). Unfortunately, the 2XL does not fit the rear tire. Additionally, it will not fit the front or back of my 18" Fatty Wompus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hey there,
    Any links for stores that sell Snowshoe2XL in Europe?
    went to Vee site but they dont sell in Europe, then i went an all resellers listed and still no luck :|

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel F. Popescu View Post
    Hey there,
    This is where I bought mine: accessori borse bikepacking fat bike - GOMMA 26X5.05

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    thank you very much, Sir.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Vendor for Vee Snowshoe 2XL

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel F. Popescu View Post
    Hey there,
    went to Vee site but they dont sell in Europe, then i went an all resellers listed and still no luck :|
    I purchased my tire from Cool Bike Parts and Accessories from the Coast of Maine since 1976

They will ship to Europe.

mtbr member
    just ordered a set of the snowshoe2xl for my salsa blackborrow from shop.veetireco.com anybody ever order anything from them in the past?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My fatty, Motobecane Boris, has a 4" Nate in the rear and a 4.8" Bud in the front. I tried Bud in the rear, to see if Lou would fit, but the side knobs rubbed. I sold off the stock Bluto for a china carbon fork, which unintentionally lowered the front end, so I want my front tire to be as tall as she gets to approach normal geometry.

Any considerations for a 5+ in front and 4 in the rear? Will it ride funny with different weights, different diameters? How will it handle in snow? Am I just a moron?

mtbr member
    i should check too see if i can cancel my order and nab some from one of those sights thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone try this tire on a 190mm 9zero7?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    Anyone try this tire on a 190mm 9zero7?
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit. They have a ton of room.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I wonder how long we will have to wait for RockShox or someone else to bring a bigger front shock to market.
    Last edited by vadimhellbike; 11-26-2015 at 12:48 PM.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimhellbike View Post
    I have a couple of Design Logic frames that will fit the 2XL arriving in a month or so but I sure can't find a front shock that will fit this tire. Does anybody know of a shock that will fit this tire?

I wonder how long we will have to wait for RockShox or someone else to bring such a front shock to market.
    your best bet might be to fit a Mendon Cyclesmith Lefty. It's possible that one might be able to tweak the offset of the wheel enough on a clown shoe and massage the offset of the shock enough to make it work. as for other manufacturers? don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by Gigantic; 10-19-2015 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    youyour best bet might be to fit a Mendon Cyclesmith Lefty. It's possible that one might be able to tweak the offset of the wheel enough on a clown shoe and massage the offset of the shock enough to make it work. as for other manufacturers? don't hold your breath.
    It's my hope that in a few weeks we will be able to check this.
    My Lefty Max has..... Left my hands headed to MCS headquarter. I have a wheel with an XXL ready for when the fork will came back....

mtbr member
    I got some Surly Monkey Nuts. I will mount them up tonight and see if that holds the wheel in place on my Moonlander with a QR.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Winter just got a lot more interesting.... ;-)

26x5.05 XXL-img_20151019_183217.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Winter just got a lot more interesting.... ;-)

Name:	IMG_20151019_183217.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1023199
    Total monsterbike- awesome!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    your best bet might be to fit a Mendon Cyclesmith Lefty. It's possible that one might be able to tweak the offset of the wheel enough on a clown shoe and massage the offset of the shock enough to make it work. as for other manufacturers? don't hold your breath.
    Thanks for your helpful reply.
    Last edited by vadimhellbike; 11-26-2015 at 12:47 PM.

XC Obsessed
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Total monsterbike- awesome!
    Do you have any chainrub in the lower gears?

I think this picture just sold me on the Lurch.

Since it has horizontal dropout you can easily push the tire back to the rear of the bike. I never noticed that about the Lurch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gridlok View Post
    Do you have any chainrub in the lower gears?

I think this picture just sold me on the Lurch.

Since it has horizontal dropout you can easily push the tire back to the rear of the bike. I never noticed that about the Lurch.
    Zero issues with chain rub, even in crawler-gear.

I have the wheel set as far back in the dropouts as I dare go and there is still a tiny bit of rub on a cable-guide on the back of the seattube. I'll get the Dremel on that, and probably remove the front derailleur while I'm at it.

XC Obsessed
    Sep 2009
    Zero issues with chain rub, even in crawler-gear.

I have the wheel set as far back in the dropouts as I dare go and there is still a tiny bit of rub on a cable-guide on the back of the seattube. I'll get the Dremel on that, and probably remove the front derailleur while I'm at it.
    Anyone else had any luck making the 2XL work with a Sturgis? I'd prefer a Al frame but the clearances look like they are a bit less on the chainstays. Fork should be no problem.

Karl

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sturgis
    2015 was 190mm
    2016 is 197mm
    Don’t think they updated the rear end drawing on the 2016 link
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Sturgis
    2015 was 190mm
    2016 is 197mm
    Don’t think they updated the rear end drawing on the 2016 link
    No - they are both 197 thru's. Another example of Bikes direct posting incorrect information. 190mm for qr, 197 for thru axles.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gridlok View Post
    Anyone else had any luck making the 2XL work with a Sturgis?
    I've also got a Sturgis frame and tried to fit the 2XL there first... I was disappointed with the results. Side knobs rub on the angled part of the stays quite badly. If they were more curved like the Lurch's, it'd probably fit. Or if the 2XL were available in a 24" size...

XC Obsessed
    Sep 2009
    I've also got a Sturgis frame and tried to fit the 2XL there first... I was disappointed with the results. Side knobs rub on the angled part of the stays quite badly. If they were more curved like the Lurch's, it'd probably fit. Or if the 2XL were available in a 24" size...
    Thanks I'll go with a Lurch. I think it really helps that the Lurch has the Horizontal dropouts so you can line up the widest part of the tire with the widest part of the chainstays.

Maybe I'd have more luck with the FB5 2.0, they still have a few on clearance in the deals section, I've passed them over because they use the old double walled rims which are over 1300g

Karl

mtbr member
    I have officially pulled the plug on the Moonlander 2xl project. As much as i would like to run these i can't get them to stay put in the rear. The front was no problem with a ICT fork even though it did raise my front end some. Overall the extra height on my bike made me feel weird on it. I got the Bud and Lou's back on.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    26x4.8 hold my butt up just fine...glad i went with the bigger when i bought the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have officially pulled the plug on the Moonlander 2xl project. As much as i would like to run these i can't get them to stay put in the rear. The front was no problem with a ICT fork even though it did raise my front end some. Overall the extra height on my bike made me feel weird on it. I got the Bud and Lou's back on.
    AWWW! I was hopeful that these would be my next tires!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    AWWW! I was hopeful that these would be my next tires!
    If you get a bolt on hub you could make them work, but i couldn't keep them from buzzing. There may be too much frame flex to run them. They clear with room 3/4's of the way back in the drop out, but my 240b butt got them to buzz. I think the key to them is a bike built around them. They felt amazing, defiantly next level tires.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    I think the key to them is a bike built around them.
    They work great in Blackborow too.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if these will fit on the 2016 farley?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 230