Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 26x5.05 XXL

mtbr member
    What would you consider as "cold compatible" ?

Espen

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My Alfine 8 doesn't shift in the winter. -12 to -15C is enough to render it single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    ...I'm not so much hardcore ss as hardcore anti derailleur.
    That describes me too, and right now I have a dilemma.

I've signed up for a road 400km (250miles) Audax in July. It will be a wee bit hilly. I've got 27 hours to complete it.

On the same terrain I can comfortably do 200km in half the time, but it's a long time since I've done a 400km day, so in a moment of weakness I considered gears. However not even the thought of failure can induce me to consider a derailleur. Right now I'm looking for a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed - specifically the RS-RK3 with the rotary change.

That gives me my normal gear, one for tailwinds, and one for when I'm knackered, but best of all it remains silent.

I'll probably end up doing it SS though.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Blonde Fabrication

I met with this guy to explore the feasibility of going into frame building full time as a job.

Nice dude.
    Interesting... but it's been done. This was early fat bike (aka Sand Bike) pioneer Ray Molina's approach way back in the late 90's so he could use a narrow bottom bracket and still get a decent gear spread and chainline.

26x5.05 XXL-fatbike_number_one_1600.jpg

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen View Post
    What would you consider as "cold compatible" ?

Espen
    Functions reliably down to -45c with the right lubricant.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Every time I look at the new next awesome amazing mega cool chainstay technique for gaining more clearance on fat bikes, I can't help but wish they would just do away with the chainstays all together or get them up out of the way of where the business is happening.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    Every time I look at the new next awesome amazing mega cool chainstay technique for gaining more clearance on fat bikes, I can't help but wish they would just do away with the chainstays all together or get them up out of the way of where the business is happening.
    I am screaming expletives over here.

*sigh*

I'm working on it.

There's an expensive way to get it done: Effigear

And there's the slightly less expensive way. I eat it. I sleep it. I breathe it. And the @#*$ing molds are cracking.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Effigear will also suffer from crank/cs clearance.

e

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen View Post
    Effigear will also suffer from crank/cs clearance.

e
    At the moment, you're right. They also appear to be a forward thinking company merely by their product offering.

I bet they'd be receptive to it.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    Espen W, do you have the O.D. measurement of the Snowshoe XXL on a 100 mm rim at around 7-8 psi? I'm thinking I'm going to have to build a whole new frame to fit these tires, no big deal. While, i'd prefer a 24" version of this tire, a 32" o.d. tire can still fit a custom frame with 17" chainstay's which is still short enough in my eyes.
    Yep, on 103mm rims:
    At 8psi: 800mm (31.49'')

For comparison, I measured a Lou at the same pressure on the same type of rim:
    At 8psi: 762mm (30.00'')
    At 20psi: 768mm (30.23'')

I have seen plenty of references to 30.8'' for Lou, but I now see that Surly lists 759mm (29.9'')

I got it mounted on my bike and made a quick vid with my HTC this morning, showing it vs JJ 4.8:
    Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

mtbr member
    ...and I have been riding the 2XL as a rear tire today.

We got 30-40cm of snow yesterday, and today it's warmer, so the snow is pretty soggy.

I am 210 Pounds, and it's actually possible to ride on this snow.
    The float is unbelievable!
    Extremely low pressure, and maybe to low for normal riding, but this tells me that this tire will make it possible to ride places and conditions where no other have been riding before.

e

frl
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    You guys 2x Espen do a greate job. Make Fatbiking even more fun in the snow. One got rear 2xl and one got front 2xl. Why not try it on one bike? And who is going for the first ride? Flip a coin

mtbr member
    What bike does this fit on the rear? Would be cool if it fit on a Blackborow.

mtbr member
    Any chance this fits in a Bluto fork?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Any chance this fits in a Bluto fork?
    I'm guessing no, Bud has a hard time fitting tubeless width wise on 100mm rims and 29+ knards are almost too tall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Really appreciate all your posts here Espen(s), they've been super interesting to read, so thanks again (: I actually really kind of want to buy a Nakamura 5.6" fatbike, any chance of them coming to the uk? And I don't know if this has been said yet, but I'm guessing the hub is NuVinci? =D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Really appreciate all your posts here Espen(s), they've been super interesting to read, so thanks again (: I actually really kind of want to buy a Nakamura 5.6" fatbike, any chance of them coming to the uk? And I don't know if this has been said yet, but I'm guessing the hub is NuVinci? =D
    Good point.

Or where do you have a dealer near a ferry terminal? Easy enough to nip across and pick one up, especially if it included some riding over there.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    A new 11sp system will enable the use of this one with current BB/hub/Q standards.
    What's this new system, if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    A new 11sp system will enable the use of this one with current BB/hub/Q standards.
    Internal gear hub? probably the only way to keep a good chainline imo.

Hooligan
    so, any more pictures of bikes with these baby's mounted up? particularly in the rear (cough*Espen*)
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So maybe I missed it, but what is the outlook on this as far as availability?

I'm working on getting a frame that will accommodate this tire (and then some) and would like to know.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    That describes me too, and right now I have a dilemma.

I've signed up for a road 400km (250miles) Audax in July. It will be a wee bit hilly. I've got 27 hours to complete it.

On the same terrain I can comfortably do 200km in half the time, but it's a long time since I've done a 400km day, so in a moment of weakness I considered gears. However not even the thought of failure can induce me to consider a derailleur. Right now I'm looking for a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed - specifically the RS-RK3 with the rotary change.

That gives me my normal gear, one for tailwinds, and one for when I'm knackered, but best of all it remains silent.

I'll probably end up doing it SS though.
    Velo, I get your abhorrence to the notion of a derailleur on your ramblings through the heather, but to rule one out categorically on a road ride seems silly. Derailleurs have taken people around the world for gosh'sakes.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Availability on these tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    BUGGER!!! I just ordered a set of Snowshoe XL's for this winter... FML

mtbr member
    It says not available and they don't fit any current fat bikes, so why would you want them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I guess I'm hoping/assuming that they would design the production version to fit the current 5" frame standards. All we've seen til now are pre-production prototypes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I assume they will fit many forks? No reason to bring a tire to market if no one will buy it.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    I assume they will fit many forks? No reason to bring a tire to market if no one will buy it.
    Or....

...build it and they will come.

mtbr member
    ^^^ They'll arrive just in time for Surly to unveil its new mega fatty at i-bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    I guess I'm hoping/assuming that they would design the production version to fit the current 5" frame standards. All we've seen til now are pre-production prototypes.
    That wouldn't make any sense. The snowshoe xl is as big as you can fit in current frames. Downsizing the xxl to fit in current frames would make it the same size as the xl.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    The snowshoe xl is as big as you can fit in current frames. Downsizing the xxl to fit in current frames would make it the same size as the xl.
    Maybe. I'll mount mine up when I get them and see what kind of room they leave. My bike is *supposed* to fit a 5" tire, but most tires seem to run a little smaller than their claimed size... So maybe a 5.05 will only measure out to 4.8 or 4.9.

I'll be interested in seeing what the actual production tire looks like.

mtbr member
    Supposedly they measure 5.65

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    If you go back a page or two you'll find our forum friend Espen W and his Norwegian company Diamant & Nakamura bikes already have prototype tires from Vee and frames they've been working on since the tire was first viewed in Taipei back in March.

Surely other companies are hiding in the weeds with forks/frames.

BD already has a Ti, FS frame with 125mm rims on preorder. 1/2 the cost, 3x the fun. They ship it with a 100mm/4.5" disposable set of wheels/tires that'll last until these hit the market. If there is a delay in production or delivery of these tires they recommend you only ride the disposable ones in the sand once a week for a maximum of 2 miles and you must weigh 125lbs or less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just built up a custom steel frame last year and won't be jumping on this bandwagon for the rear at least. When we get a suspension fork that will clear this size I will likely purchase one to put on. I just don't like the Vee rubber silica compound as it wears too quickly. I really want a tire with more volume than Bud/Lou but half the tread height that will fit in existing frames, more for riding dirt.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    i got one from J&B on the way. its going on my moonlander up front, but rest assured i will try it in the rear first.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Dammit. I have a frame that will fit this tire shipping out on Thursday. Not sure how to order form J&B, I'm assuming you need to be a dealer? I'd love to get my hands on one.

In the meantime I have a Bud on order...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ordered one on Monday from JB. I should have it next Monday or Tuesday! I have two forks to try it on, Ice Cream Truck and Salsa Bearpaw 150. The anxiety is killing me! I hope it fits at least one of them!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    J+B is the new QBP.

WTF? I called as soon as I saw they *had* them.

Out till October or some such nonsense.

Well, once ya'll get them and they don't fit anything, keep me in mind, I know it'll fit my Lefty!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Weights and bead to bead measurements before you mount them up.:-)

mtbr member
    i will be putting it on my lander non offset fork tubeless :-O
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If anybody get's theirs and finds it doesn't fit, I'm a buyer if you PM me.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    @bighit, i'm curious - should you succedd into mounting them on a Moonie non-offset fork, please let me know - I have two SS2Xl ( that would become 22XL, or not?) sitting waiting fot the right bike to put on....

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone got one and found out it won't fit yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sooooooooooo, I picked up mine today at the LBS. Fits the front of my Blackborow just fine. I was totally surprised to see it actually fit the rear of the Blackborow !! Chain clearance is TIGHT at 11 psi in the lowest gear (setup 1x10, not the original 2x10). Aired down to 3-5 psi, a little more clearance, and to be honest this is the tire pressure I will most likely ride at when I need this tire in the winter.

Sorry guys, I do not own measuring callipers or a scale to measure width and weight of this tire. I measure the width of the tire with a tape measure and eyeballed it the best I could, I'm gonna say 5 1/4 inches wide on 100mm rim.

Also, I have an Origin8 Crawler with a Surly Ice Cream Truck fork. This tire fits in the fork just fine, TONS of clearance!!

Sorry guys, I'm not selling it !! My only regret is not buying two, JB is out of stock

Hope this helps you guys!

3psi
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150803_200836.jpg

11psi
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150803_195850.jpg

Salsa Fork Clearance
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150803_190320.jpg
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150803_200055.jpg

Surly ICT fork clearance
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150803_190859.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

crazy! i'm sure there's a couple blackborrow owners who just perked up
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    im so psyched for mine.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    The Snowshoe XL is a really huge tire. On 100mm rims it didn't fit my Borealis frame unless the pressure was fairly low. My guess is that few frames will fit this tire with 100mm rims. I want one!!!
    Lou doesn't fit well in the Borealis either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Snowshoe 2XL size and stats

I mounted them on a 100 mm rim, and took some measures.
    Keep in mind, though: no caliper, only eyeball measures.
    Overall diameter is 30.7 in/780 mm, overall width ( at casing, knobs are a smidge smaller) is 5.03 in/128 mm.

Weight:
    26x5.05 XXL-img_0399.jpg

4.12 Lb ( 1873 grams).

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Yep, production casing width is somewhat narrower than the prototypes that I ran this winter.
    The protos were approx. 315mm bead-bead, while production version is approx. 297mm (Bud/Lou are around 260mm bead-bead for comparison)
    Mounted casing width at (''industry standard'') 20psi is approx 5.2'' with tubes on a 100mm rim.
    It is 5.0'' (knob width) on a 80mm rim.
    (my protos are 5.5/5.65'' tubed/tubeless at the same 100 rim/pressure.
    Don't have my notes here, so will post knob widths on 100/80 later.
    Our production tires were around 31.5'' rolling diameter vs 32'' for the protos, so the height was kept closer to the proto than the width, so the tire volume is huge.
    (protos had around 53% more volume than the biggest volumed 4.8'' on the market (Jumbo Jim with 265mm bead-bead), haven't measured the volume of the production 2XL yet , but also the production tire has huge volume, allowing for ultra low pressures and huge float.

To put things in context. Our 210lb test rider rode with the proto version on the rear (90mm rim) and a Surly Bud on the same width rim up front. The rear tire stayed afloat in super soft powder, while the Bud up front punched through the snow. Anyone who has ridden powder (or sand) knows what that means about float capabilities.
    Now, the production version is not quite that huge (until 3XL arrives..) but it will still be in another league vs 4.8s.

Weight of our production tires (lightest version) were around 1680g (the 5.6'' protos were 1600/1680g, so production ones have been beefed up somewhat)
    Last edited by Espen W; 08-04-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Espen Wethe
    Bicycle Engineering Consultant
    Norway
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/06/diamant...an-pennington/

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast