Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 26x5.05 XXL

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I agree, my measurements are tubed at roughly 12 PSI.
    Well, this only means that there is hope about fitting them in my Moonlander....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by albystarvation View Post
    I agree, my measurements are tubed at roughly 12 PSI.
    Well, this only means that there is hope about fitting them in my Moonlander....
    Please do update us on if it does, I really want to get a set for my Moonlander!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    Fits the front of my Blackborow just fine. I was totally surprised to see it actually fit the rear of the Blackborow !!

Attachment 1006294
    Can't tell from the picture (too dark) how far do you have the alternator drops swung back?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Yep, production casing width is somewhat narrower than the prototypes that I ran this winter.
    Why the change? Based on feedback you and other companies returned to them?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Can't tell from the picture (too dark) how far do you have the alternator drops swung back?

Why the change? Based on feedback you and other companies returned to them?
    Not sure, probably from other companies, as we urged them to stick to 5.5''.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Found my notes, here are the measurements for our production version 2XLs:

On 100mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 5.22''
    Knob width: 5.10''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

On 80mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 4.85''
    Knob width: 5.00''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

For comparison, Snowshoe XL 4.8'' tubed on the same rim measured to 4.71'' casing and 4.60'' knob width and 29.8'' rolling diameter.
    The numbers for Jumbo Jim 4.8'' were 4.76'' casing, 4.58'' knob width and 30.0'' rolling diameter.
    Last edited by Espen W; 08-05-2015 at 02:05 AM.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    crazy! i'm sure there's a couple blackborrow owners who just perked up
    More than a couple! I was skeptical of the rear fit, since the clearance is somewhat tight with the Lou's already. But I do have the drops all the way forward.

Good news.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They are adjusted as far back as they can go. I'm not sure if this will work with 2x10 on the small ring though, so keep that in mind. Mine is setup 1x10.

Espen, any ideas about when the 3XL will be available??

I took these pics this morning, while it may not be as impressive as the prototype shown earlier in the thread, production model is still a big step up from Lou's on Clownshoes.
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150804_054754.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150804_055107.jpg

TrailCrawler - How close does the tire come to the cable guide/bolt on the inside of the fork? Such stupid placement on Salsa's part. When I inquired, they said I could use one of the bolts on the cage mounts on the outside of the fork, which I've done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    TrailCrawler - How close does the tire come to the cable guide/bolt on the inside of the fork? Such stupid placement on Salsa's part. When I inquired, they said I could use one of the bolts on the cage mounts on the outside of the fork, which I've done.
    It's hard for me to say right now, the tire is mounted on the rear wheel. I held it up in the fork and took a guesstimate of 1/3-1/2" looks like it would be below the widest part of the tire casing. Either way, tire clearance on the fork is good.

mtbr member
    Wow...anyone know if this tire will fit on a 2x10 setup? Or with a Bluto fork?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Wow...anyone know if this tire will fit on a 2x10 setup? Or with a Bluto fork?
    No on the Bluto.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    They are adjusted as far back as they can go. I'm not sure if this will work with 2x10 on the small ring though, so keep that in mind. Mine is setup 1x10.

Espen, any ideas about when the 3XL will be available??

I took these pics this morning, while it may not be as impressive as the prototype shown earlier in the thread, production model is still a big step up from Lou's on Clownshoes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150804_054754.jpg 
Views:	3043 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	1006472

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150804_055107.jpg 
Views:	5127 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	1006473

Has anyone given a measurement from the axle to the outside center of the tire?
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Has anyone given a measurement from the axle to the outside center of the tire?
    Post #206 notes the diameter.....?

Post #206 notes the diameter.....?
    I think he might mean the horizontal measurement from the edge of the tire to the face of the axle. (maybe I'm wrong). It would be somewhat like measuring the backspacing on a car wheel.

mtbr member
    any info from Mainlander owners? I can't get to the shop for mine yet.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Alright guys more pics! Just got another Snowshoe 2XL for my Blackborow for a matching set. Bring on the snow!

tire inflated to 20 psi, fork clearance
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173531.jpg

tire inflated to 20 psi, fork/cable clearance is pretty tight.
    26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173542.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173519.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173505.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-img_20150811_173555.jpg

mtbr member
    good lord! rear too?
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    good lord! rear too?
    Yup I posted a bunch of pics on page 8 of this thread. Chain clearance is tight at 11 psi, so I won't go any higher than that. My drivetrain is also 1x10. I don't think this tire will work on the smaller chainring of a 2x10, so I lucked out!

What's the word on your Moonlander?

mtbr member
    i can't get to the shop!!! I'm crazy lol. its got to fit on at least the front or i will get the ICT fork to run it. the rear looks tight with the Lou, but I'm gonna try.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Son of a Gun, WOW

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i can't get to the shop!!! I'm crazy lol. its got to fit on at least the front or i will get the ICT fork to run it. the rear looks tight with the Lou, but I'm gonna try.
    That sucks! If you end up getting a ICT fork, you will have a ton of clearance. I put one on my Origin8 Crawler, pics on page 8, excellent fork. Good luck!

turtles make me hot
    Crap. I don't think that tire will fit on my 907.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Where can I buy them? Any word on availability and pricing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had to go to my local bike shop. They ordered the 2xl through JBimporters. They show as in stock in PA, NY, MN, and WA. So I would say there is plenty in stock right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm in Canada, so that kinda complicates things... But going to be in Massachusetts the last week of August. Would like to pick up a pair somewhere en route.

What's the retail on them?

mtbr member
    Oh gees. I want. But need to know if they will fit a Moonlander with Clownshoes....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Son of a Gun, WOW
    Can I just say, that makes my pants feel funny.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    I'm in Canada, so that kinda complicates things... But going to be in Massachusetts the last week of August. Would like to pick up a pair somewhere en route.

What's the retail on them?
    I can't give you an honest answer on retail. I highly recommend you call a bicycle shop along you're route and ask if they could order you one and ask what they would charge for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'll check with a couple local shops to see how bad the "north-of-the-border"gouge is this week... Pretty sure I'll end up buying while I'm on vacay though. ;-)

Geez, I haven't been on here in awhile and didn't know they were actually going to production with these. Saw the teaser shots last year. Kinda overboard if you ask me. I actually sold my Bud/Lou and going with the new 45nrth D/FBeists. Bud/Lou were just overkill for everything - and I'm in MN the fatbike capital of the world

But seriously. There is a point to which you only need so much float. Over the years I got to that point and realized I only like riding full-on or somewhat groomed trails in winter or at least riding on snowmobile tracks on the river. 4.8's aren't needed for that, and I don't see anywhere these new behemoth tires would be needed, other than to have the "wow/neat/new" factor. They look like they would take any last bit of talent away that it takes to ride an already easy to ride fat bike.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

This place needs an enema
    On a 100mm rim, with a tube, at 20psi, they do not come close to fitting a Bluto. Kinda like a FUPA all crammed up under the arch. No way, not at any pressure.

Same rim, same pressure, they fit the Lauf Carbonara. ~5-6mm clearance per side, and inches of clearance on height.

Will be awhile til I bother setting this rim/tire up tubeless, but I suspect that once the tire has grown/stretched on that rim it'll be tight to the sides on the Lauf.

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Kinda overboard if you ask me. But seriously. There is a point to which you only need so much float. I don't see anywhere these new behemoth tires would be needed, other than to have the "wow/neat/new" factor. They look like they would take any last bit of talent away that it takes to ride an already easy to ride fat bike.

Spoken like someone that lives in MN, where a 3.8" treadless Endo is 'enough' 90% of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Spoken like someone that lives in MN, where a 3.8" treadless Endo is 'enough' 90% of the time!
    Haha

Hey we have mountains of snow most winters, but you know this tire ain't getting you through that until it's packed down anyway

I thought I'd come on the ol MTBR and arm-chair speculate once though.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    For my winter needs they look ideal. Until a 6" bike is made right. But I can understand people out for sport may not like the added resistance. For me it equals better flotation for hunting and packing meat on snogo trails

mtbr member
    So it has plenty of room up front on the ICT, any chance it would fit better in the rear than on the Blackborow? Chanin clearance wise?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ok, finally some actual test on the Moonlander.
    First, let me state my situation and goals: I started investigating in fatbikes in February. Planned to build up one during the course of summer, to have it ready for fall/winter. the primary use was for snow riding, but I wasn't wary of using it also as a daily rider during other season, leaving the full sus enduro bike for mountain trips, thus avoiding heavy maintenance chores on the aforementioned bike fork & shock.
    I was wondering which frame to buy, when I stumbled upon a 18" Moonlander framekit for peanuts. I snagged it up: frame, non-offest fork, headset, front mech mount.

I was more than happy, given the ability of the Moonie to use the ( then) bigger tires available,,,, then the Snowshoe 2XL popped up. I found an Italian store selling them, and bought a pair. My frame is still unbuilt, so I made this test:
    - Mounted the SnowShoe 2XL on a Fatboy 15x150mm wheel I had lying around: rim is the 90 mm Fatboy. Tire is tubed.
    - Botched up a 135QR-> 15mm adapter: pulled out the Hope Fatsno 15x150 mm hub spacers, fabbed up a fake through axle to put in the Moonlander fork.
    Mounted the wheel on the fork and took these images:
    26x5.05 XXL-img_0419.jpg26x5.05 XXL-img_0421.jpg26x5.05 XXL-img_0424.jpg

As you may see, horizontal clearance is around .4", while vertical is .75".
    Quite narrow. The real problem is that, on my wheel, the tire ( NOT the rim!) has .6" of lateral runout. I don't know if it's a mounting problem, or the tire's carcass is somewhat warped. Of course, this makes the tire rub on the fork's crown while turning.
    So, IMHO, there is no chance of putting one of those behemots in a Moonlander fork: even if you succeed into mounting the tire perfectly straight & true, any hit that displaces the carcass even so slightly would result into wheelrub. Moreover, i consider my test plagued by the fact that I mounted the tire tubed : tubeless expansion would surely worsen the situation.
    Needless to say that back wheel situation could only be worse: I didn't had the chance to try and assemble an offset rear wheel to test it, nor will I, given the front wheel result.
    So, I am currently considering switching to another frame.
    What do you think?

mtbr member
    oh boy time for a new fork.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    and new fork on the way. Hay why not, got to early adopt. OG from day 1!
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes, I suppose I could order an ICT fork... or rather, use the old Lefty I got in my storage.
    But, each of those fork would raise the front end about 40-80 mm, slacken the head tube and raise the BB. And the Lefty would force me to build another offset front wheel.
    Maybe, too much hassle.

mtbr member
    well i got one tire and can get a fork for cost so i got to do it. I'm interested to see what it does to the front end. got to give it a go.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well i got one tire and can get a fork for cost so i got to do it. I'm interested to see what it does to the front end. got to give it a go.
    ICT fork on my Crawler completely changed the handling of the bike (for the better!). The bike feels very stable at low speeds, whereas the old fork was too responsive. Also beware of the top tube!! It will be even higher now! Otherwise, excellent fork I have no regrets replacing my old fork! And it allows me to swap front wheels between my Blackborow and Crawler!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    So it has plenty of room up front on the ICT, any chance it would fit better in the rear than on the Blackborow? Chanin clearance wise?
    I was lookin at a Blackbarrow today in Anchorage. It had 4.8 Lou's on Clown Shoe rims. Clerance was minimum with the 4.8s . IMO 5.05" would not fit the Blackbarrow. There didn't look to have enough room to put any kind of fenders on it with the Lou's that were on that bike.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about the ICT in the rear. I suspect a new frame is around the corner that fits them front and rear on 100's no problem.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I was lookin at a Blackbarrow today in Anchorage. It had 4.8 Lou's on Clown Shoe rims. Clerance was minimum with the 4.8s . IMO 5.05" would not fit the Blackbarrow. There didn't look to have enough room to put any kind of fenders on it with the Lou's that were on that bike.
    Ummm.... 26x5.05 XXL

They appear to fit that Blackborow.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Since you didn't read through the thread to see the pics of the blackborrow with the xxl's already on it, I won't address that point...

But who makes full-coverage fenders for 4.8's anyways? There are those custom made wooden fenders, and the trials ones velobike runs, but other than those, all other fatbike fenders I know of have been seat-post mounted anyways.
    So why worry? The tires fit in a blackborrow, and noone makes full-coverage fenders for the blackborrow that would affect the tire clearance.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    With the same bottom bracket width, same crank, same rear hub spacing, and as long as the frames are welded somewhat true the chain clearance will be the same. You can tweak it some by dishing the wheel, crankset, or cassette configuration but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by albystarvation View Post
    ... I found an Italian store selling them, and bought a pair.
    Could you please post a link to the store? I can't find these in any european stores. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    accessori borse bikepacking fat bike - GOMMA 26X4.00 VRB321 MISSION...

there you go, though I fear I snagged up the last pair they got in stock.....

Quote Originally Posted by enemy1 View Post
    Could you please post a link to the store? I can't find these in any european stores. Thanks!

mtbr member
    i ordered two. i know i will use at least one.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

So a customer stopped by with his Salsa set up with a pair, got to ride it around, pretty impressed.

Checked, J+B had them, 2 are on the way.

MahOOOOOssive freakin' tires.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    So a customer stopped by with his Salsa set up with a pair, got to ride it around, pretty impressed.

Checked, J+B had them, 2 are on the way.

MahOOOOOssive freakin' tires.....

That would be me that stopped by

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume no hope on a '15 Fatboy?
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Thyroid_Bike View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume no hope on a '15 Fatboy?
    They won't fit the front end of yours, since you have a Bluto. (I'm in the same boat). I'm wondering about the back though- seem to have ample clearance with a Lou or Snowshoe, the XL might barely clear.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

That would be me that stopped by
    Cool!

I don't think I knew that, and come on, you don't wear a shirt with your screen name on it? How helpful is that???

Thanks for thinking of me, much appreciated.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    By the way. Tire clearance information on the Surly website says, that moonlander frame has more tire clearance than ICT frame. I want 5" fatbike, so I sold my Pugsley and start new one from buying a pair of 2XLs. Fortunately, at least two of my friends got moonlanders, and I will have the chance to test how the really big tire fits to frame. Because for now I see only two possible options - blackborow and custom titanium.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The Design Logic frames will fit a 26X5.05" Vee 2XL on a Surly Clownshoe.
    Last edited by vadimhellbike; 11-26-2015 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nameresu View Post
    By the way. Tire clearance information on the Surly website says, that moonlander frame has more tire clearance than ICT frame. I want 5" fatbike, so I sold my Pugsley and start new one from buying a pair of 2XLs. Fortunately, at least two of my friends got moonlanders, and I will have the chance to test how the really big tire fits to frame. Because for now I see only two possible options - blackborow and custom titanium.
    A 2016 Design Logic Da Phat (steel) frame will fit 26X5.05" tires on a 100mm rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nameresu View Post
    hmmm might have bought a ICT fork too soon

anyway i got two tires, but i can't get there. I have been working two weeks straight easy. I want to apologize to all for having the tire and not running to get it.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    What is the price on this tire?

mtbr member
    Any idea if it would fit in a Carbonara fork? The Lauf website mentions 4.8" for max tire width.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    Any idea if it would fit in a Carbonara fork? The Lauf website mentions 4.8" for max tire width.
    Your answer is a few posts down on page 10 of this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    They won't fit the front end of yours, since you have a Bluto. (I'm in the same boat). I'm wondering about the back though- seem to have ample clearance with a Lou or Snowshoe, the XL might barely clear.
    Eh, actually I'd get em to run with the rigid fork!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Those tires are FRIGGEN HUGE!
    I have no interest whatsoever - but damn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hmmm might have bought a ICT fork too soon

anyway i got two tires, but i can't get there. I have been working two weeks straight easy. I want to apologize to all for having the tire and not running to get it.
    Don't worry about the fork, I was talking about the frame, and only the frame. It is clear, that 2XL fits fine into the ICT Fork. But ( see photos on earlier pages ) fit is very tight in the moonlander fork, simply because it is shorter.

mtbr member
    Yeah that moonlander fork pic was tight and that wasn't even with a 100mm rim
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    So, is Salsa Blackborow the one and only frame (excl. Design Logic Da Phat) which rear fork is wide and long enough for this 2XL tire? And will it fit to it with the front derailleur too?

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Läskimasa View Post
    So, is Salsa Blackborow the one and only frame (excl. Design Logic Da Phat) which rear fork is wide and long enough for this 2XL tire? And will it fit to it with the front derailleur too?
    I am not convinced it fits any current frame when you take the inevitable tire stretch and wheel deflection into account.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My offer still stands, if anyone has one of these tires and doesn't like how they fit or won't fit, I'm a buyer.

The particular bike shop that I buy from doesn't deal with JBI so...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I am not convinced it fits any current frame when you take the inevitable tire stretch and wheel deflection into account.
    I could see having problems with the drivetrain when your chain is cutting mud and snow off you tire.

mtbr member
    omg these tires are giant! tonight i will weigh, mount and post pics.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Human Test Subject
    omg these tires are giant! tonight i will weigh, mount and post pics.
    do it faster.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    do it faster.
    I'm ready to leave work now lol
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Fits rear of moonlander!
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Fits rear of moonlander!
    ¿dónde están las fotos?
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    these tires and ICT fork to run them changed the whole bike.
    26x5.05 XXL-img_2375.jpg26x5.05 XXL-img_2377.jpg
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    i wouldn't run out and grab one for the rear just yet. i think a standard qr may not have the clamping force to secure the rear axle. with the Lou i ran the tire all the way up front and now its 3/4 the way back. A bolt on hub would be the best setup.

26x5.05 XXL-img_2381.jpg26x5.05 XXL-img_2380.jpg
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    How about chain clearance?

mtbr member
    i hit all the gears fine.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Wow, thanks for the pictures!!! It looks nuts, I can't believe it actually fits in the rear, especially as it doesn't fit in the front! Also, you should run a bolt through on sliding dropouts. I woudn't feel safe with just a qr holding that monster of a wheel!!! Is that the 135mm or 150mm fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sweet! Glad it worked out for ya!

So, who else is gonna try fitting it??

mtbr member
    its a 135mm fork. it raised my BB from 317mm with the bud/lou combo to 345mm with the 2xl combo. the whole bike needs to be re-set up now. Totally lost stand over, Doh!
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

mtbr member
    I would wager to say it fits the ICT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    @bighit, thanks for the images.
    This reshapes all my plans... again. After my tests, I was determined to ditch the Moonlander frame and get a custom frame made... but since the 2XLs actually do fit in the moonie's rear ( sounds somewhat wrong, isn't it??) I may resolve to use my surly frame, after all.
    At this point, I might also decide to use that old Lefty Max for the front end.. thus solving also the Surly fork clearance problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Any other european stores than the italian one? They only ship to italy.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Now I just need to see one on the rear of a Fatboy. Fingers crossed even though I have my doubts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Maybe this has already been mentioned - but does anyone know if V plans to release a studded version of this tire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spruceboy View Post
    Maybe this has already been mentioned - but does anyone know if V plans to release a studded version of this tire?
    its listed on J&B.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Human Test Subject
    They LOOK good (or at least big) but Vee tires are notoriously awful self steerers. How do they ride?

They LOOK good (or at least big) but Vee tires are notoriously awful self steerers. How do they ride?
    I only have parking lot time on them, but the profile is super nice and round, not flat, so handling should be good.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ran mine 20psi front, 11psi rear. I did a 14 mile ride on paved bike path for no other reason than to try out the new tires. No self steer (do any tires self steer at that pressure?), and slow as hell. I never bought them to ride on hard surfaces, snow only.

The tires are off my bike and won't be on again till there is snow on the ground. In that case I never notice self steer in soft conditions on any of my tires :-/

sorry if that doesn't really answer your question.

Seriously? You're going to characterize AN ENTIRE BRAND as having a certain trait that has nothing to do with *any* brand and everything to do with improper inflation for the surface being ridden?

Full on facepalm.

No self steer (do any tires self steer at that pressure?).
    I should have mentioned pressure in my response. Yes, it was rather firmly blown up (I rode TrailCrawlers, as he was nice enough to stop by for show and tell).

To answer your question though, typically, no. If a tire has a super square profile, it may some, at higher pressures, but not normally, no.

Mike, I agree with the facepalm WRT the brand, but lest we forget, The Endo was crazy for this, as was the Devist8r. So profile does enter in (thus, a valid question in my mind), but overall yes, too low a pressure for a given surface is the primary culprit....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

bigger than you.
    Seriously? You're going to characterize AN ENTIRE BRAND as having a certain trait that has nothing to do with *any* brand and everything to do with improper inflation for the surface being ridden?

Full on facepalm.
    this.

mtbr member
    i didn't feel any on the road with about 10 lbs in them. they actually made less noise then the bud/lou combo. i will get more time tonight at a lower pressure.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

i wouldn't run out and grab one for the rear just yet. i think a standard qr may not have the clamping force to secure the rear axle. with the Lou i ran the tire all the way up front and now its 3/4 the way back. A bolt on hub would be the best setup.
    A quality Shimano skewer is all that is needed, I would think. Not sure why a tire size would necessitate a certain type of skewer/axle. Worst case, just get some monkey nuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    A quality Shimano skewer is all that is needed, I would think. Not sure why a tire size would necessitate a certain type of skewer/axle. Worst case, just get some monkey nuts.
    awesome idea thanks. this is just what i need with a tire this big. i will order a set asap.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Mike, I agree with the facepalm WRT the brand, but lest we forget, The Endo was crazy for this, as was the Devist8r. So profile does enter in (thus, a valid question in my mind), but overall yes, too low a pressure for a given surface is the primary culprit....
    You've made and reiterated my point for me, Craig. Thanks!

If someone wants to ride a 5+ inch tire on hard surfaces, that's their prerogative. If they then wish to whine publicly that it exhibits odd characteristics in so doing, I consider it my civic duty to make fun of them...

Dirt Huffer

Full on facepalm.

Can we all agree though that we've been beta-testers for Crank Brothers Company at one time or another?

Human Test Subject
    Mikesee, quit being butthurt because I called you on internet bullying behavior out like 2 months ago. It's a little sad that you just wait longingly for me to post so you can quick attempt to enact internet revenge.

The self steer was a characteristic of the other sized Snowshoe tires, devistators, vee 8s, missions, and basically all of their tires with tread patterns designed by Vee. Exceptions seem to be the Floaters and the Fatback tires.

Or if you don't believe me, let me google that for you and you can click one of the numerous links to threads on MTBR alone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vee+...orums.mtbr.com

mtbr member
    can we not get this thread locked.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 184