Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 1,601 to 1,641 of 1641

Thread: 26x5.05 XXL

  1. #1601
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Abrasive snow? Yeah, whatever. So weird how my front Bud Iím installing more grip studs into was even able to take them after three winters of use. By your logic and ďexperienceĒ the knobs would be worn down. The tire hairs on this Bud must be infused with Kevlar or something?

    Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

    Are you aware of the 'first rule of holes'?

    When you realize you're in one, put the shovel down.

  2. #1602
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    It's bizarre that some people's tires look like they have been scrubbed with an SOS pad for days on the sidewalls when after four years of wrinkling the hell outta my Bud/Lou they still look like new. The riding that I do with em requires at least one wrinkle or they are over inflated.

    On the 2XL front, they are heavy as fvck, yus, they are fatter and can go over terrain and looser conditions that likely would bring even the best 4.8 to its knees, yus. Would I like a lighter, softer, more supple single ply version, YUS! For this reason, I have no desire to ever own another Vee product. That attitude is subject to change if and when Vee chooses to represent more than one anti lard, skinny motherfvcker on this damn planet!

    There, I said it!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  3. #1603
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

    Are you aware of the 'first rule of holes'?

    When you realize you're in one, put the shovel down.
    Itís interesting how you immediately go on the attack when someone disagrees with you. Instead of defending your abrasive snow claim youíd rather make personal insults which serve as a deflection away from the subject. Try following your own advice and provide something that proves your claim.

    Back to the thread, yes, definitely the 2XL is way over built like many have stated on here. There is no need for that heavy duty of construction. Examples why not, the Bud/Lou and Jumbo Jim. You donít read posts about guys complaining how these thinner, lighter cased tires disintegrated or wore out prematurely when riding out in snow.

  4. #1604
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Itís interesting how you immediately go on the attack when someone disagrees with you. Instead of defending your abrasive snow claim youíd rather make personal insults which serve as a deflection away from the subject. Try following your own advice and provide something that proves your claim.

    Attack?

    ??!

    I pointed out that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit because you're going on about tread wear when my abrasive snow comment has/had nothing to do with wearing down the tread.

    Had you bothered to read and digest that before going on a rant yourself, we'd be in a different place, wouldn't we?

  5. #1605
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    Um, pipe down peeps! We're talking bitchen things, like bikes and tires an shyt...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  6. #1606
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    I discussed 110mm rims with Alex Rims...
    They were keen on doing it, but back then I advised against it...


    First, you advised against 3xl to Vee, then you advised against 110mm rim.
    Seems to me, that you wish to remain the only owner of the ultimate snow machine

    PS: I would also kindly ask you not to use 2xl in the titles of your videos. It's plain misleading, because your tires have nothing in common with current production version. Unless your plan is to make more sales for Vee

  7. #1607
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1367 View Post
    First, you advised against 3xl to Vee, then you advised against 110mm rim.
    Seems to me, that you wish to remain the only owner of the ultimate snow machine

    PS: I would also kindly ask you not to use 2xl in the titles of your videos. It's plain misleading, because your tires have nothing in common with current production version. Unless your plan is to make more sales for Vee
    Yep, nice to have possibly the most capable ''normal'' fatbike out there, but I would really like for more people to experience it, as it would elevate the sport.

    Agreed on the 2XL. I sometime use ''3XL'', but since the label on them says 2XL, I will refer to them as the bigger (and better) 2XL protos.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

  8. #1608
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    83
    Yes, I agree, the videos shouldnít be titled 2XL since they arenít the same tires as the prototype 3XL tires.

    I just switched back to my studded Bud/Louís today as conditions were mostly hard, wind scoured and slick and it was kinda mind blowing by how much faster they rolled and how much easier they were to pedal. I did trench out and have to walk one section of drifted over trail that I floated over with my 2XLís but I was still much faster on my commute.

    The 2XLís pretty much suck for everything except providing necessary float for riding trails that arenít packed down to well. Iíll dump the 2XLís if and when something lighter, softer and similar in size comes out. My new frameset has plenty of clearance for the 2XLís that I may start looking at whatever wider wheels are available that could stretch out the bud/Louís even more. Iíd easily have clearance for 110mm wheels which would likely be a noticeable difference over my current 100ís.

  9. #1609
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    My new frameset has plenty of clearance for the 2XLís
    Which one do you mean?

  10. #1610
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DirtyHun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,215
    I do wish there were a monstrous tire that was lighter than a brick.

    Then again, I wish lead were easily turned into gold, too.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

  11. #1611
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Does anybody know a frame with 100mm BSA BB that could fit these AND is sold in Europe?

    Is it a fact that neither (alu & carbon) Salsa Mukluk can't fit these?



    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  12. #1612
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekke View Post
    Is it a fact that neither (alu & carbon) Salsa Mukluk can't fit these?
    Of course, they COULD NOT fit this.

  13. #1613
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekke View Post
    Does anybody know a frame with 100mm BSA BB that could fit these AND is sold in Europe?

    Is it a fact that neither (alu & carbon) Salsa Mukluk can't fit these?



    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
    This one but it is a 120 mm BB. They will fit a Trek Farley frame
    https://polebicycles.com/polestore/p...a-snow-custom/
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  14. #1614
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    This one but it is a 120 mm BB. They will fit a Trek Farley frame
    https://polebicycles.com/polestore/p...a-snow-custom/
    Yeah, it's out of the game.. and "our Farleys" don't fit these, don't know why

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  15. #1615
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    They will fit a Trek Farley frame
    Never.

  16. #1616
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Sukhov View Post
    Never.
    Yeah, I have tried them too, on 80mm and 100mm rims without any success. Can't understand why there have been at least two Farleys with 2XL tires..

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  17. #1617
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    29
    It could hardly (but fit!) the aluminium Farley (5 or 7 model), if you lucky with the certain frame - even 2XL mounted on 105 mm rims!












    But would never fit the carbon Farley (9.6 or 9.8) - even mounted on 90 mm rims (problem with upper stays)...




  18. #1618
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Yeah, but it isn't 100mm BSA BB even If it could fit these..

    I have Salsa Blackborow with these and now looking for a second frame that could fit these.

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  19. #1619
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekke View Post
    Yeah, but it isn't 100mm BSA BB even If it could fit these..
    It has PF121 - which is similar (in width) to BSA100...
    And it allows to install the "narrow" cranks, e.g. NEXT SL with 169 mm spindle (Q-factor 203 mm).

  20. #1620
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Sukhov View Post
    It has PF121 - which is similar (in width) to BSA100...
    And it allows to install the "narrow" cranks, e.g. NEXT SL with 169 mm spindle (Q-factor 203 mm).
    But I need 100mm BSA, not narrow cranks..

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  21. #1621
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    196
    If Surly bikes are available where you are, the Ice Cream Truck has been redesigned with a 100mm BSA BB and fits 2XL.

    There's a thread on here, but here is the pertinent link:
    https://surlybikes.com/blog/move_over_push_pop

  22. #1622
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    If Surly bikes are available where you are, the Ice Cream Truck has been redesigned with a 100mm BSA BB and fits 2XL.

    There's a thread on here, but here is the pertinent link:
    https://surlybikes.com/blog/move_over_push_pop
    Thank you! Might be The Only option... Just a little wait, it seems

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  23. #1623
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekke View Post
    Thank you! Might be The Only option... Just a little wait, it seems

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
    Oh... Also RSD Mayor. Forgot about that one, but also takes a BSA 100.

  24. #1624
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Oh... Also RSD Mayor. Forgot about that one, but also takes a BSA 100.
    Sorry, didn't remember to mention 100mm rims too.. so might be a no-go.

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  25. #1625
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    In this topic there is this info: "RSD Mayor (alu) frame and fork (limit to 80mm rims)"

    But asked from RSD and they said it will fit 5.05" with 100mm rims.. said it might be old version. Sounds promising, will ask their postage...

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  26. #1626
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekke View Post
    In this topic there is this info: "RSD Mayor (alu) frame and fork (limit to 80mm rims)"

    But asked from RSD and they said it will fit 5.05" with 100mm rims.. said it might be old version. Sounds promising, will ask their postage...

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
    RSD shipping is included with sale price. And yus, my mayor has a pair of clown shoes with 5.05's for winter and really loose sand.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  27. #1627
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    RSD shipping is included with sale price. And yus, my mayor has a pair of clown shoes with 5.05's for winter and really loose sand.
    Not to Europe / Finland...

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

  28. #1628
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekke View Post
    Not to Europe / Finland...

    Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
    Doh!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  29. #1629
    arc
    arc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    If Surly bikes are available where you are, the Ice Cream Truck has been redesigned with a 100mm BSA BB and fits 2XL.

    There's a thread on here, but here is the pertinent link:
    https://surlybikes.com/blog/move_over_push_pop




    "It fits 26Ē x 5.1Ē tires no problem,"

    I'd like to hear more about the 5.1 tire, I really want a bigger bud that's tubeless ready.

  30. #1630
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    RSD shipping is included with sale price. And yus, my mayor has a pair of clown shoes with 5.05's for winter and really loose sand.
    You've probably mentioned this elsewhere on this site, Banshee, but which Vee 2XL are you riddin' -- the Silica (Black), or Pure Silica (White)? I just got me a Mayor frame to build-up for the winter and I'm not sure which tire to invest in. Several posters have been outspoken about the unneccesarily stiff/heavy sidewalls of the 2XL, but I get the impression that the "Pure Silica" version is at least a little better in this regard than the "Silica" tire. Then there's now the Terrene Johnny5, which could be a contender pending a little more info...

  31. #1631
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    You've probably mentioned this elsewhere on this site, Banshee, but which Vee 2XL are you riddin' -- the Silica (Black), or Pure Silica (White)? I just got me a Mayor frame to build-up for the winter and I'm not sure which tire to invest in. Several posters have been outspoken about the unneccesarily stiff/heavy sidewalls of the 2XL, but I get the impression that the "Pure Silica" version is at least a little better in this regard than the "Silica" tire. Then there's now the Terrene Johnny5, which could be a contender pending a little more info...
    Waiting on the updates on Johnny5, too!

    I have the black 2XL's. It does take some time and miles with very low pressure to break em in and get em feeling more supple. If Vee would just break down and make em single ply for bean pole peeps like I am it would make for a far better tire on every level. Rolling resistance would be highly improved too. I have spoken with Vee about this issue and they have no interest in making a light version for the lighter riders to enjoy.

    Hopefully, just hopefully, Terrene will be intelligent on this and also think carefully about tread that is as good as Bud/Lou for a real fat snow tire that isn't a 28 ply tire.

    After speaking with the US rep for Duro I learned that if we could get enough peeps together and design what we want, they will produce em. Any TPI, any durometer of our choosing. Might be worth considering.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  32. #1632
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Waiting on the updates on Johnny5, too!

    I have the black 2XL's. It does take some time and miles with very low pressure to break em in and get em feeling more supple. If Vee would just break down and make em single ply for bean pole peeps like I am it would make for a far better tire on every level. Rolling resistance would be highly improved too. I have spoken with Vee about this issue and they have no interest in making a light version for the lighter riders to enjoy.

    Hopefully, just hopefully, Terrene will be intelligent on this and also think carefully about tread that is as good as Bud/Lou for a real fat snow tire that isn't a 28 ply tire.

    After speaking with the US rep for Duro I learned that if we could get enough peeps together and design what we want, they will produce em. Any TPI, any durometer of our choosing. Might be worth considering.
    I'm all of 162 lbs, so I guess that I fall into the "beanpole" category, too. There's very little info on the Johnny5 at this point, but I did see a comment on Facebook from Terrene's Tim Krueger in which he described the tread as being, "...quite large, deeper than Bud/Lou for sure." Another Terrene posting continued later to say that the tire was designed to excel in "...soft, deep conditions like the dry snow of the Rockies." That could be just what you need for your riding (you live in Colorado, right?), but I'm not sure how the tire will match up with the wetter, transitional East Coast white stuff that I see locally (New Jersey). Maybe it will be fine -- I guess time will tell.

    I don't know much about tire design, but I'd be willing to participate in a group buy if the tire being ordered would be suitable for my conditions. There's little doubt that I'll be investing in a pair of big, winter tires in the October-December timeframe. A 2XL-like tire with more pliable sidewalls seems to make a lot of sense. The biggest tires that I've ridden to date are Bud & Lou's on 90mm rims (was limited to that on my '15 Fatboy), which lack a bit in floatation potential, but otherwise are winter troopers...

  33. #1633
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    Fitman, I am 165, so we're about the same in terms of weight.

    Of tires I have experimented with, my Nobby Nic 3.0 collection consists of a pair of snakeskin and two pair of the performance version. The snakeskin version is notably loaded with rolling resistance that is not present with the performance tires. One pair of performance are the early version, the other are the new Addix version. Addix is notably more supple than the early version and actually rolls a little better than the early tire. Both pair of performance 3.0's out perform the snakeskins by a long shot.

    On the next test was at the LBS where they had two identical fatties, one with the snakeskin JJ 4.8's and one with the liteskin JJ 4.8's. We did a test of both bikes beginning with 10 psi (both tires) and a two mile rip. Each adjustment was a 1 psi lower pressure drop. Frankly, the liteskin feels better than the snakeskin at any pressure. The liteskins rolled better at each pressure tested. We took the pressure down to 4 psi and stopped dropping pressure and testing. Liteskin rolls faster with less effort at all pressures tested. Each test ride was the same predetermined route and distance ridden.

    Honestly, what I really want in a winter tire is the highest tpi rating, single ply with a 42a compound. I know there will be peeps that think they are too delicate however, in the dead of winter when the snow is 6-12' deep in the high country, who in their right mind is gonna take the time and break out a shovel to get to something to pinch flat on? Seriously!

    Currently, the 2XL's are run at 3 psi max or mostly at 1.5 psi for the powder day. I haven't gone to the Espen test pressure of .7 tho'.

    Johnny5 is sounding like something I need to follow. Frankly, if they are softer, more supple and as a side benefit are lighter than 2XL, I'm dropping the coin for em.

    Bud/Lou are the best tires in their class, hands down. I don't ride my bike at the hockey rink so studs are simply extra dead weight to haul. The amazing thing is what the Bud/Lou have been subjected to over 4 winters, never having been inflated to remove the wrinkles, ever! Those wrinkles are required for the high country sled trail rides. No wrinkles = overinflation, period. They have their place, indeed!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  34. #1634
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Fitman, I am 165, so we're about the same in terms of weight.

    Of tires I have experimented with, my Nobby Nic 3.0 collection consists of a pair of snakeskin and two pair of the performance version. The snakeskin version is notably loaded with rolling resistance that is not present with the performance tires. One pair of performance are the early version, the other are the new Addix version. Addix is notably more supple than the early version and actually rolls a little better than the early tire. Both pair of performance 3.0's out perform the snakeskins by a long shot.

    On the next test was at the LBS where they had two identical fatties, one with the snakeskin JJ 4.8's and one with the liteskin JJ 4.8's. We did a test of both bikes beginning with 10 psi (both tires) and a two mile rip. Each adjustment was a 1 psi lower pressure drop. Frankly, the liteskin feels better than the snakeskin at any pressure. The liteskins rolled better at each pressure tested. We took the pressure down to 4 psi and stopped dropping pressure and testing. Liteskin rolls faster with less effort at all pressures tested. Each test ride was the same predetermined route and distance ridden.

    Honestly, what I really want in a winter tire is the highest tpi rating, single ply with a 42a compound. I know there will be peeps that think they are too delicate however, in the dead of winter when the snow is 6-12' deep in the high country, who in their right mind is gonna take the time and break out a shovel to get to something to pinch flat on? Seriously!

    Currently, the 2XL's are run at 3 psi max or mostly at 1.5 psi for the powder day. I haven't gone to the Espen test pressure of .7 tho'.

    Johnny5 is sounding like something I need to follow. Frankly, if they are softer, more supple and as a side benefit are lighter than 2XL, I'm dropping the coin for em.

    Bud/Lou are the best tires in their class, hands down. I don't ride my bike at the hockey rink so studs are simply extra dead weight to haul. The amazing thing is what the Bud/Lou have been subjected to over 4 winters, never having been inflated to remove the wrinkles, ever! Those wrinkles are required for the high country sled trail rides. No wrinkles = overinflation, period. They have their place, indeed!
    Banshee, during Spring-Fall, I've been running JJ4.8's (Lightskin) on a 65mm rim and found them to be compliant, light, and protective of my left wrist and thumb joint, which have some arthritis. I've been very pleased to see the relative durability of the tire. At first I thought I might be flatting constantly considering the light casing (and the rocky places that I ride), but about 8 months in now, this hasn't been the case. I do use sealant, however. The extra cushion of the 4.8's is, for me, "just what the doctor ordered."

    Tires with a high tpi rating sound good to me. I assume that the 42a compound is one of the softer tire materials out there (or do have that completely backward)?

    In the Johnny5 thread, Lars_D listed the tire's weight at ~1700 grams, which, if accurate, would put them a little north of Bud/Lou, and south of the 2XL (moreso the black one than the white one, though, if my recollection is correct). Other than a few photos, however, not much info seems to have been released.

    Bud/Lou have been my "goto" winter tires until now. I have one pair that's lasted 4 seasons at 1- 4 psi and they're still in fine shape. They've proven to have great durability even though they usually have more wrinkles than Willie Nelson! I have a second pair with gripstuds for icy conditions...

  35. #1635
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    Fitman,

    I can relate to the sweetness of 4.8's. I have scoliosis along with kidney disease and the softer tires just do what I need em to do. Being light is awesome so I can keep single digit pressure for that beloved magic carpet ride that only a supple tire can deliver. For the second summer, my JJ 4.8 liteskin tires have been simply excellent for what I do. Usually run em at 6-8 psi and they serve very nicely.

    The 2XL's are fun to ride from time to time as they are just so absurdly fat and amazing. Rolling resistance could be far better but Vee insists on pissing me off. Thus the Duro 3.25's for the +bikes cause I am done with Vee and their inability to provide what I am looking for in a tire.

    Sorry Vee, until you break down and make tires for us bean poles to enjoy, you're outta here!

    On the Bud/Lou front, I love em! Sure, they get piss poor fuel economy going for some riding however, they are spot on for my purposes. With the amount of miles they have done, each and every mile with 3-5 wrinkles at all times, they are simply amazing! To not have broken threads from here to kingdom come with all that wrinkle action they are one of the best made tires on the market. Not exactly light with all that deep tread of soft, sticky compound rubber, but I bought a fatbike as opposed to a road bike with weight being a secondary consideration.

    Rubber durometer numbers run low = soft and high = hard. 42a is very soft and a common compound used primarily on DH tires. What that does is allow the tire to be as supple as possible and conform to the terrain. 50-60a is a very common range of durometers used on mountain tires.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  36. #1636
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    140
    Banshee, it would really be nice if Vee was a better listener (and, yes, I know there are business issues/production costs that, pardon the expression, "weigh heavily" in decisions of this type), as you aren't the only person who's wished for a more supple 2XL. Maybe the Johnny5 will be much more to our liking.

    It seems like tire manufacturers are "hit and miss" regarding the reporting of the durometer of their products. For reference, since I'm familiar with Bud/Lou (and JJ Lightskin and Snakeskin, for that matter), do you happen to have a guess on the durometer used in these tires?

  37. #1637
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    140

  38. #1638
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,065
    I'd venture to say 50a

    Fickle market these are!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  39. #1639
    n8_
    n8_ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    42
    Has anyone tried fitting these tires on the Diamondback El Oso Grande - the model with the rigid fork? I tried searching and didn't get any results for it.

  40. #1640
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blekenbleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    156

    grip!

    Having moved inland, 2XL beach flotation no longer benefits me.

    Raising pressures from around 2 to 9 psi reduces resistance by about 20% (based on elapsed times for the same average heart rate and perceived effort) but also reduced clearance between 2XL and Carbonara to nearly nil. Swapping the 2XL for a Juggernaut Sport 4.0 @ 8 psi seemed to yield minimal (5% ?) resistance reduction, but drastically impacted grip, running wider on curves and/or requiring more braking (which is less noticeably effective)..

  41. #1641
    one chain, two sprockets
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    267
    Anyone know how the Vee 2-ply sidewalls compare to Maxxis' EXO sidewalls in their Colossus/Minions? I'm at the other end of the weight scale and need slightly stiffer sidewalls...

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Members who have read this thread: 178

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.