07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    This post is so long I can't remember everything. Has it been decided that this tire will not work on a Bluto fork?
    That was decided 2 years ago when I made this

(It is the somewhat bigger (and much lighter and much faster) 2XL prototypes from 2015 but you get the idea)
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    (Kindernay XIV 14 speed internal gear hub with hydraulic sequential shifters)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    kaleidopete
    Specialized 26 x 3.8 - 4.8 which comes standard on the fatboy seems to do the trick just fine.
    Thanks, I'll check 'em out
    Northern NJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    Here my farley 5. Drop out slided all the way to the back. I got excited mounted the tire backwards. And pumped it to 12psi. Realized afterward the bead didn't properly seat. Tire had a huge wobble. Despite all these issues. Cleared with good 6mm all around. This is on specialized 90mm stout rim
    How about the fork? No go?

mtbr member

2XL compatable frame and fork

You folks can add to this list too: just copy paste and edit as appropriate

here is the updated list of compatible frames and forks:

Blackborrow size m and above frame and fork
    Surly ict frame and fork
    Quering Tripple b frame and fork
    Reeb badonkadonk frame and fork
    RSD Mayor (alu) frame and fork (limit to 80mm rims)
    Meriwether frame and fork
    Carver (titanium) frame and fork
    Pole taiga (frame and fork)
    Motobecane FB5 (frame only)
    Trek Farley (frame only?)
    9:zero:7 Whiteout (FORK ONLY)

A few more out of Norway:
    -Diamant BLCK Diamond X1 (455mm CS)
    -Nakamura Big Bob F50 (455mm CS)
    -Diamant BLCK Diamond X2 (467mm CS)

X1 and F50 come stock with JJ 4.8 on 90mm rims, but frame accepts 2XL on 100mm. Fork (Bluto) limited to 4.8'' on 100mm rims.

X2 comes with 2XL on 100mm rims, ie. 5.2'' casing width. Both frame (aluminum) and fork (carbon) fit up to 5.6'' (ie. ''3XL'' on 100mm+rim)

Not sure on the specifics of these:

KHS 1000
    KHS 4 seasons 3000
    Fuji Wendigo (frame only?) which is the same frame as Motobecane FB5?
    Huffy (frame only)

mtbr member
    stock 135mm fork, i did not try. im running a full carbon fork from trek farley 9.9. i dont have a 135mm front wheel. honestly the stock fork is ugly

im either going with lefty which i already have and send it to medon cycle build a new wheelset with surly MOBD. or wait for new manitou fat fork and run spesh 150x15mm front wheel.
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member

Surly ict frame and fork
    197mm rear Trek Farley 5 and 7 works with both 80 and 90mm rims
    OEM specialized fatboy 135x9 qr front fork both alloy and carbon. require removal of brake caliper
    Connondale Lefty Max 140 reduced to 110mm with MSC fat clamp and dished
    150x15mm carbon fork off of trek farley

X1 and F50 come stock with JJ 4.8 on 90mm rims, but frame accepts 2XL on 100mm. Fork (Bluto) limited to 4.8'' on 100mm rims.
    X2 comes with 2XL on 100mm rims, ie. 5.2'' casing width. Both frame (aluminum) and fork (carbon) fit up to 5.6'' (ie. ''3XL'' on 100mm+rim)

KHS 1000
    KHS 4 seasons 3000

forks dont clear:
    bluto(does not clear on sides and arch)
    renagade (clears sides not the arch by about 5mm)
    Wren forks, due to flexing forks leans and tire will contact left leg
    Huffy fits XL not 2XL
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmattcor View Post
    Did anyone on this thread do the ITI? I noticed 3 or 4 people running the PSC XXLs. Would love to hear your experiences?
    I heard second hand that they were overkill for 90% of the route and that the 10% where they helped didn't compensate for the extra effort everywhere else.
    --Peace

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I heard second hand that they were overkill for 90% of the route and that the 10% where they helped didn't compensate for the extra effort everywhere else.

I think if you change the word "route" to "conditions" then that might get a little bit closer to the truth.

mtbr member
    I have Stevens Mobster (my first fat bike, now backup one), 2017 (or 2016? I got warranty frane replacement so it was free upgrade) year model, and it have alot of clearance with 4.8 tires on 80mm rims (100mm too but they are on another bike right now):
    26x5.05 XXL-20170308_140800.jpg
    26x5.05 XXL-20170308_140719.jpg
    Its like 1.5cm+ clearance on each side rear, same or bigger at front. Fork on the photo is not original, its chinese carbon one. So I suppose it will fit 5.05 easily most probably on 100mm rims.
    Its not very expensive and uses 197/150 thru axles by default. 2015 year model had smaller clearances.

Sent from my SM-G900F

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Added some Farley updates.

Surly ict frame and fork
    197mm rear Trek Farley 7 (fits front and rear) and 5 (rear only though, wont fit the fork on the Farley 5) works with both 80 and 90mm rims
    OEM specialized fatboy 135x9 qr front fork both alloy and carbon. require removal of brake caliper

KHS 1000
    KHS 4 seasons 3000

forks dont clear:
    Huffy fits XL not 2XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I recently completed the Rovaniemi 300, Europe's longest arctic race and was riding with black 2XL / XLs and like other riders, found them pretty hard work with a laden bike in cold (-17F) conditions. I think the heavy sidewalls stiffened-up considerably in the cold - how I wished for the Dillinger 5s I left at home. I still think that a 5" deep-lugged tread on a lightweight carcass like a JJ is the answer - no need for heavy sidewalls for snow.

mtbr member
    I've found you have to run quite a bit more air pressure in the 2XL's than what you'd run in other tires. If not they have a lot of resistance. I had no success in trying to convert my tires to tubeless, even with a split tube and sealant. At the end all I had was a big, unreliable mess. My beads kept trying to slide up over the rim sidewall.

The good news is since I've been running higher air pressure and just relying on the tires size and width for float rather than it bulging out and they roll decently enough. Conditions have been hard, windy and cold for the past couple weeks and the tires have done well floating me across inconsistent snow and breaking through crust.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post
    I recently completed the Rovaniemi 300, Europe's longest arctic race and was riding with black 2XL / XLs and like other riders, found them pretty hard work with a laden bike in cold (-17F) conditions. I think the heavy sidewalls stiffened-up considerably in the cold - how I wished for the Dillinger 5s I left at home. I still think that a 5" deep-lugged tread on a lightweight carcass like a JJ is the answer - no need for heavy sidewalls for snow.
    But the Vee guys thought you were taking your fatbike to Redbull Rampage and needed DH casings to prevent a snowflake puncture!

I have emailed Vee regarding the need of the lighter rider who doesn't require an extra thick stiff tire. they had a meh attitude toward it.

Going back a few years, 45Nrth had the Escalator, 1 a 180 tpi 4.0. They were discontinued and replaced with the D4. Just an example of
    how the tire market responds to the clydesdale and forgets the beanpole exists.

ak, the 5.05 needs to be inflated to a pressure appropriate for conditions present. Hard surface, more air. Powder snow deflate em and go!
    This is why a Lezyne Microfloordrive XL is a feature on my Mayor. Like Jeepin, air up/down as needed. Same with my JJ 4.8's although, the
    JJ's actually roll nicely when they are under inflated, where the 5.05's let you know that they are low and rolling slow is what they have in
    store.

All in all, as fun and able as the 5.05's are, there is a time and place for them. I ride em when I go on an adventure that consists of very loose terrain and some hardpack mixed in to make it interesting. Definitely not the daily driver choice.
    Concur with all the peeps that would like to see "liteSkin" options in 5+ tires for the super supple casing performance in snow/sand.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post

Temps make little difference on the sidewalls -- you noticed the black rubber getting harder and slower as it got colder.

Vee isn't doing a great job of educating people about the PSC compound, and how much better it is at colder temps.

IMO, if you're riding snow (not slush, nor dirt) but sub-freezing snow, you should be on the PSC's. The colder the temps the more this should be mandated.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Temps in the lower 50s in the forecast, but fantastic conditions this weekend for some serious 5''++ monster tire fun and some informal roll, freeride and climbing tests vs. Jumbo Jim 4.0.

Seriously fun freeriding on Saturday. Had to get off in certain spots, and the snow was up to waist deep:

More freeride goodness:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88b-yt_9WTI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXe6P0WlVLM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5uSd-rGyes

Today, a ride in the fog with a buddy with a Canyon Dude with JJ LS 4.0 tubeless on 80s.

First an impromptu roll test with the 5.6's at 3.4psi and the JJs at 4.2psi. I'm some 15lb lighter (rider + bike).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhfFS4HhUpQ

We have seen te same before, thought it was a fluke then, but it seems that the proto 2XLs aka 3XLs are much, much faster rolling than the production model.

''Freeride test'':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc3k7gRrJYw

''Climb test''.
    That hill is WAY steeper than it looks in the video.
    Randomly picked soundtrack worked pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzjRcnqB9U

Here I tried to groom a trail for the ''skinny set'':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SykMQfuXpk0

I like the allround capabilities of the big tires.
    Last edited by Espen W; 03-12-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    the ultimate test would require you to put on 30kg, Espen, and use flat pedals
    only that would be indicative of how these tires would work for the rest of us

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    ...how these tires would work for the rest of us
    For the rest of us who can't have them?

Would be nice to have a wider option, here 2XL isn't enough anymore with current snow conditions.. Too much dry snow.. Had to take 2kg extra to home yesterday:

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Logged some rather excellent high mountain, partly powderish freeriding over the weekend:

Even with monster tires, going uphill (much steeper than in looks) in semi windpacked, knee deep powder is hard work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaPimGhkYOM

Much easier on flat ground:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xhFZGWD3oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtRpCbBJHyQ

Back on the packed trail, i checked the pressure (or lack thereof). Had a feeling that I had been riding with negative pressure (aka. vacuum) for a while.

Turns out that I was right.
    This is 'lolo' as Snoop would say:

As I've mentioned before, big single ply casing tires are fast, even at 2psi on a packed trail. Saying Hasta to the skiing photographer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKOuOu7oYM8
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    greetings from Germany

Frame: Sandman Atacama 197
    Rims: Fatlab 100
    Fork: Salsa Bearpaw

26x5.05 XXL-lo59dnao.jpg26x5.05 XXL-hil3glyj.jpg26x5.05 XXL-pa74urq4.jpg
    26x5.05 XXL-sm7hlvk5.jpg26x5.05 XXL-z58a6eax.jpg26x5.05 XXL-t5wtbyz5.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    one more photo with the chain in the 1st gear please?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    one more photo with the chain in the 1st gear please?
    26x5.05 XXL-28713769vm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Temps make little difference on the sidewalls -- you noticed the black rubber getting harder and slower as it got colder.

Vee isn't doing a great job of educating people about the PSC compound, and how much better it is at colder temps.

IMO, if you're riding snow (not slush, nor dirt) but sub-freezing snow, you should be on the PSC's. The colder the temps the more this should be mandated.
    I agree with that. I should have spent time researching the PSC compound before buying my tires. I thought it was an appearance thing and to me the PSC tires were ugly. My black 2XLs do seem better in the warmer temps we've had. I have no regrets going with tires this big and wide but they certainly have their place. Last week I rode some very hard packed trails in Bicentennial park in Anchorage. My tires were so wide that they didn't fit in the single track groove that was worn in on some of the trails. Seemed that most everyone I saw was using 4" wide tires which were a great choice for the fast, hardpacked conditions. You actually didn't even need fat tires as a set of studded 2.1's would have worked even better.

Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Added some Farley updates.

Surly ict frame and fork
    197mm rear Trek Farley 7 (fits front and rear) and 5 (rear only though, wont fit the fork on the Farley 5) works with both 80 and 90mm rims

KHS 1000 need to go with a single chain ring and slide the tire back in the dropouts.
    KHS 4 seasons 3000

forks dont clear:
    Huffy fits XL not 2XL
    My KHS 1000 updates above. This is what had to be done for my 15" frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So a lot of time has passed this the Snowshoe 2XL has been out. Did any manufacturer ever release a suspension fork that can fit it?

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimhellbike View Post
    So a lot of time has passed this the Snowshoe 2XL has been out. Did any manufacturer ever release a suspension fork that can fit it?
    Why would you want front suspension with such a large tire. This tire is meant to be run in deep snow. Suspension not needed for that. I have run mine in dry dirt and they are SLOW and HEAVY. Most 4.5 to 4.8 tires have plenty of grip in dry dirt.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member

suspended forked

Quote Originally Posted by vadimhellbike View Post
    Lauf Carbonara works fine with 2XL on 100mm rim up to 9psi with tube on sand; tried neither higher pressure nor mud.

mtbr member

2XL suspense

Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer View Post
    This tire is meant to be run in deep snow.
    It works much better than 4.0 and usefully better than 4.5 on beach sand.
    Suspension not needed for that.
    Suspension is wanted for control if trying to carry speed over trampled sand. My understanding is that the same is true for footprints in snow and slush, particularly after refreezing.

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    It works much better than 4.0 and usefully better than 4.5 on beach sand.
    Suspension is wanted for control if trying to carry speed over trampled sand. My understanding is that the same is true for footprints in snow and slush, particularly after refreezing.
    For sand you are going to have to shave off 75% of the knobs. Essentially the center area. This tire throws sand (and rocks) everywhere like an angry 7 year old. With the air pressure needed to run on soft beach sand, again suspension is really not needed and will work against the low psi.
    trying to turn these tires on soft sand with front suspension will be very difficult at slow speeds as well
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member

different strokes

Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer View Post
    This tire throws sand (and rocks) everywhere like an angry 7 year old.
    I agree about small rocks, but find it no worse for sand than tires with much less tread. Those knobs seem to help traction in soft sand. Your comments about pressure are inconsistent with my experience. Pressure low enough to absorb trampled sand shocks increases rolling resistance too much for carrying speed.

mtbr member
    I have been running a lou rear and 2xl up front on my Fatboy in all conditions and love how it soaks up the rocks and roots. Yeah it's slow but I use it instead of susp fork. For me, I love it.

mtbr member
    Yes, the Manitou Mastodon supposedly will fit a 2XL.

Quote Originally Posted by bbudell View Post
    Yes, the Manitou Mastodon supposedly will fit a 2XL.

I've installed the 2XL in my Mastodon. Fits, no problem, even on a 105mm rim.

mtbr member
    Here is couple more pictures of mine unfinished build

26x5.05 XXL-20170416_212443.jpg

26x5.05 XXL-20170416_212517.jpg
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member

jib

Torque on bars from wind gusts around 20mph approx 30 degrees left of heading @ 5psi is comparable to self-steering @ 1-2psi and unexpectedly stronger than recalled with 4.0 and 4.5 Juggernauts (which were in rigid fork instead of Lauf)

mtbr member
    My Moonlander runs these tires just fine on 100 mm rims.
    I ride from 2 PSI TO 8 PSI, depending.

Northern NJ

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Nice to have the big tires for some mid May riding in Oslo, Norway:

These trails were bone dry in January.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Crap, I am heading to Trondheim Sunday. As much as I like snow I was hoping for warmer
    Latitude 61

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Crap, I am heading to Trondheim Sunday. As much as I like snow I was hoping for warmer
    More spring like weather in the forecast (note: temps in degrees celsius, of course):
    https://www.yr.no/place/Norway/S%C3%...g.html?spr=eng
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [QUOTE=Espen W;13165146]More spring like weather in the forecast (note: temps in degrees celsius, of course):
    [url]https://www.yr.no/place/Norway/S%C3%B8r

Takk Espen, That is a much better forecast than we have been seeing. I am going with it
    Latitude 61

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Members who have read this thread: 486