mtbr member
    Jul 2014

26x4" rear 29x2.5" front?

I've heard of a number of riders running a wider front tire for better traction in the front. And of course fat bikes have fat tires front and back, but does anyone here run a 29x2.5 (or similar) in front with their fat bikes?

I ride a hardrock with 26" tires but I'm looking at building a bike for better traction during climbs (wet rocks, roots, light mud) but also have easy maneuverability and have a good suspension with rebound control for the descents hence the 2.5" 29er in front.

Thoughts? Experiences?

mtbr member

26x4" rear 29x2.5" front?

I was kinda thinking of something like that with a bluto on my Mukluk for next summer. Run a rabbit hole and knard. Whatever would get the dimensions closer. I wonder if there is a suspension fork that can run the 29+ tires? I guess it would be a few mm bigger but probably wouldn't ride that goofy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NONDURO
    I hate to sound like the party crasher, but once you go fully fat (front and rear), there is about a 5% chance you will want to go back.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is there an advantage of having a solid fork fat tire up front over a suspension 29er? Other than riding in snow.

Tundratrader - how does the bluto ride? What type of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris147 View Post
    I've heard of a number of riders running a wider front tire for better traction in the front. And of course fat bikes have fat tires front and back, but does anyone here run a 29x2.5 (or similar) in front with their fat bikes?

I ride a hardrock with 26" tires but I'm looking at building a bike for better traction during climbs (wet rocks, roots, light mud) but also have easy maneuverability and have a good suspension with rebound control for the descents hence the 2.5" 29er in front.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Historically, most people have preferred either matched tires or a larger front. The reason is that while braking downhill, the front wheel needs as much traction as possible, especially while turning. Rear wheels never demand as much traction as braking down a steep turning descent. Also, a front wheel washout is more dangerous than a rear wheel washout.

I went with a bluto for that reason. It works just like a suspension fork is expected to work. At least that's my experience having only four rides on it so far.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I hate to sound like the party crasher, but once you go fully fat (front and rear), there is about a 5% chance you will want to go back.
    Exactly...
    then you add suspension, there is like 2% chance of wanting to go back
    Riding.....