mtbr member
    Jul 2008

24" fat bike rims/wheels

I recently converted my Surly Big Dummy to 24" x 2.8" (using Sun Rhyno Lite XL and Specialized Big Roller tires) for riding trails with the kids. The extra width has been fantastic but now I'm curious about whether I can go wider and do some snow biking this winter. I think I can go 24" x 3.5 in the rear and then was planning on using a Pugsley 100mm fork on the front

What I'm stumped on are rim options in that diameter. Surly used to make a 24" Large Marge but is no longer available. HED have 24" carbon 80mm rims which are an eye-watering $200 each. This looks like it might be an option: Kris Holm 24-inch Rim | Unicycle.com

Anyone know other reasonably priced options? Or built wheel options (100mm front on a Puglsey fork and 135 rear)

RAKC
    Trials rims. I gotta find the bookmark I have, $50 I think each in 47mm width. It's what I'm ordering for my sons 24" fat bike

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have the 24" Marges with 4" Chao Yangs. I don't have calipers, but just putting the tape measurer up to it and it looks like 3.5 inches exactly. I would try to get some 65mm rims for that project, although I do not know if there are any available. There are the 80mm HEDs that you mentioned, the 80mm rims found on the Framed Bikes, the 70mm found on the Trek and the 90mm rims found on the Specialized last time I checked. The 24" Large Marges are extremely difficult to find. The 70mm from Trek might be your best bet for a true fat bike rim if it will fit and that is available. I know that people have put the 65mm Marges on the BD, so maybe 5 more mm would be ok. I do not know if Trek sells the rims or wheels separate. If those 80mm HED's fit, that'd be a nice rim. Oh yeah, and you can get them in aluminum which is cheaper. Like I said, I have the 24" Marges with the 4" Chao Yangs (skinniest 4" tire you can get by the way) that measure 3.5" and my friend has a BD frame and I will see if they fit. If it fits, a BD fat bike would be bad ass, and will definitely be something that I do in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smporter View Post
    I have the 24" Marges with 4" Chao Yangs...
    If it is possible, could you measure the height, the maximum width, and the maximum width distance from the axle. (Basically like the measurements in the Surly tire chart).

You would be doing 1x1dom a great service.

In Europe wide 24" rims are available from Classic-Cycle | Alu rim 24 inch 57mm 32 holes black matte | online kaufen

It's possible bicycle chopper shops in the USA would have them too.

And if anyone knows where I can find the Chao Yangs in the UK or Europe, I'd appreciate it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Handful of years back many people, myself included, were buying trials rims here. http://www.nwtrials.com/apps/webstor.../692820?page=1

Neon single wall 24" comes in 35mm and 47mm wide. There may be others if you hunt around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    And if anyone knows where I can find the Chao Yangs in the UK or Europe, I'd appreciate it.
    Here you go, and cheap too:

Tire MTB big daddy fat bike 24 x 4.00 CHAOYANG Tyres, Fat Bike Tires Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the 24" Marges with 4" Chao Yangs. I don't have calipers, but just putting the tape measurer up to it and it looks like 3.5 inches exactly. I would try to get some 65mm rims for that project, although I do not know if there are any available. There are the 80mm HEDs that you mentioned, the 80mm rims found on the Framed Bikes, the 70mm found on the Trek and the 90mm rims found on the Specialized last time I checked. The 24" Large Marges are extremely difficult to find. The 70mm from Trek might be your best bet for a true fat bike rim if it will fit and that is available. I know that people have put the 65mm Marges on the BD, so maybe 5 more mm would be ok. I do not know if Trek sells the rims or wheels separate. If those 80mm HED's fit, that'd be a nice rim. Oh yeah, and you can get them in aluminum which is cheaper. Like I said, I have the 24" Marges with the 4" Chao Yangs (skinniest 4" tire you can get by the way) that measure 3.5" and my friend has a BD frame and I will see if they fit. If it fits, a BD fat bike would be bad ass, and will definitely be something that I do in the future.
    Thanks all. If you could check fit on a BD frame that would be awesome. I measured last night and 3.5 might be a squeeze

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here is a thread for you with the combination of rims/tires you're looking at. Read through to the end. My daughter is fat! 24" fatty

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The Yangs are fat on the Mongoose rim.

24" fat bike rims/wheels-20150619_150602.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Like I said, I have the 24" Marges with the 4" Chao Yangs (skinniest 4" tire you can get by the way) that measure 3.5" and my friend has a BD frame and I will see if they fit. If it fits, a BD fat bike would be bad ass, and will definitely be something that I do in the future.
    I'd also love to hear if they fit! I'd love to do the exact same thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tested out some 24" x 4" Mission Commands. Measured out to 83mm at the knobs on 30mm rims and they fit pretty well front and rear on the Big Dummy. Tightest at the seatstays and boom where the fender mount is. Planning to build up some 47mm rims for them.

24" fat bike rims/wheels-img_0348.jpg24" fat bike rims/wheels-img_0349.jpg24" fat bike rims/wheels-img_0370.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Subscribing for future updates! My BD is due for new wheels. I'm currently running 26 Schwalbe Big Apple in back and 27.5 RR up front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 24 x 4 tires run narrow, but 3.5" is still pretty fat. I've got an LM and a Yang on a muni, it's not a bad combo, heavy rim, tire is so-so, does auto steer a tad. The Vee Mission is an awful tire, save your money and get the Ground Controls.

The KH rims and the UDC rims are 36h, so you'll need to find 32h rims or 36h hubs. A 50mm trials rim would work. Look on the Unicycle forum, the Surly 24 LM rims are out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quick update: Built up some 24" x 47mm trials rims - tires went out to 89mm. Clearance on the front is good, but the rear is a really tight fit at the seat stays (between canti studs and seatstay bridge), maybe a 1mm each side. Clearance everywhere else is good - going to look at having a framebuilder dimple the seatstays.