mtbr member
    Aug 2014

2018 Specialized Fatboy price drop

Hi all,

Here in North Georgia we've been having an annoying weather pattern for the past few weeks, thunderstorms nearly daily dumping torrential rain for short periods. Not enough to shut the trails down, but enough to make them more messy than I would like. My Stumpjumper FSR 29 is just not as much fun when it's wet.

I took my first fat bike ride yesterday on a Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 owned by the mechanic of the LBS. It was good an messy and I got a good sample of what the fat bike is all about (at least in Georgia, more mud than snow). When I got back to the shop to drop the bike off I saw the 2018 dealer portal for Specialized (the website isn't showing this yet).

The Fatboy has dropped from $1850 retain to $1800, and there have been a few tweaks to the specs, one being it's gone from a 1x10 (2017) to 1x11. I also see it's gone from Tektro Gemini brakes to Sram Level T (I don't know if that's good, bad, or indifferent).

But, $1800 for a name brand with a carbon fork seems decent to me, and I'm not a hard core "on the edge" rider, so I don't have a pre-conceived requirement that one brand will meet but another won't. I really have no frame of reference. I just want in under $2000, because in a year or so I'm going to have to build a new rear hub because I blow up the factory ones, regardless.

I'd been thinking about the Motobecane Carbon Fork Boris X11 for $1499, but now that they serve beer at this shop, I think I'll order from them and not have to hide my face in shame :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I saw this the other day. $1800 was the retail price of the '17 as well, they raised it to $1850 a month or so after it became available.

What size are you looking for? I've got a really nice '17 that I'm going to sell. It's an XL. I'm thinking somewhere around $1700 with full XT 1x11 and XT brakes, or around $1350 with Sram NX 1x11, which is what comes on the '18s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    I saw this the other day. $1800 was the retail price of the '17 as well, they raised it to $1850 a month or so after it became available.

What size are you looking for? I've got a really nice '17 that I'm going to sell. It's an XL. I'm thinking somewhere around $1700 with full XT 1x11 and XT brakes, or around $1350 with Sram NX 1x11, which is what comes on the '18s.
    That would have been a great opportunity a couple of days ago because I ride a XL, but I went ahead and ordered a 2018.

I'm wondering if it the larger frame with the carbon fork will change things up enough to not jar my wrists as much on the root stair steps we have a lot of around here. I may be Bluto bound. I love my StumpJumper and the suspension, but the extra grip in wet conditions will be a nice option. Of course now that I'm buying a fat bike we'll probably go into a drought here in North George.