mtbr member
    Dec 2014

2018 Specialized Fatboy

I am told that the models $2800 and less are now coming with re-branded HED aluminum rims. It appears that way in looking at the pics. I don't see the rim cut outs anymore.

True story?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ountain/fatboy

mtbr member

2018 Specialized Fatboy

Not sure if they are heds, but they look to be single wall no cut out rims, ive seen them in person
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yes that is the case. I was debating between the 2018 Fatboy Base at a bike chain for this reason, but opted for a 2018 Farley 9.6 due to a great deal at my LBS. I really liked the Fatboy but just didn't hold up to the Farley IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    What does this do to the weight of the 2018? Anyone have a new Fatboy they can throw on a scale?
    We weighed a 2016 Fatboy size Medium at the LBS and it came in at 30.15 (or was it .14?) pounds, for reference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm not positive on the weight but going tubeless a sales rep told me his 2018 was down around 28 lbs.
    Twin Cities

Errywhere: 2018 Trek Farley 9.6
    Road: 2007 Raleigh Cadent 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Fatboy and Farley are probably my top two right now. I had a 2015 Fatboy I sold. It was nice, though a bit heavy...could be lightened up with $$ of course. I'll have to check out the latest models and see what the changes are. I have a feeling I will want one this season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNRider008 View Post
    I'm not positive on the weight but going tubeless a sales rep told me his 2018 was down around 28 lbs.
    Confirmed. I have the 2018 fatboy (non-se, non-comp; just fatboy) size large, with tubes it was 30.02lbs ish with the stock plastic pedals. I'm 27.97 or something when it's clean, so I just call it 28lbs.

I don't know much about the rim thing, but they do look a lot like the HEDs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I stopped at the LBS last night. Their scale had 29 lbs and few ounces for a large that wasn't tubeless with the stock plastic pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yesterday, I picked up a red 2017 Fatboy Carbon Comp. The weight should be very similar to the 2018. With stock pedals and tubed 4.0 tires, I believe it weighed in at 29.5 lbs (or 29.1...I forget). With fatter tires and no tubes, it should probably be close to 29...till I put on some heavy flat pedals when the snow gets deep. The shops have not been stocking as many 2018s and say that fatbike sales have dropped off quite a bit last year. We did not get as much snow in Colorado last year so that may be the cause.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    I had a 2015 Fatboy I sold.
    Did the hubs and bottom bracket break on you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    Did the hubs and bottom bracket break on you?
    Nope, it was trouble-free. I just wanted to get a carbon one.

mtbr member

2018 fatboy base

Anyone know if a schwalbe jumbo jim 26 x 4.8 will fit on a 2018 fatboy base ? Im sure the fit in the front will be okay but not sure of the rear.thinking about getting one. a lot of bang for the buck on these bikes m5 alloy frame , internal cables ,threaded bb , sram brakes ,tubeless ready wheels and a raceface crank.some dealers are even discounting them a little .anyone have one ? how do you like it ? thanks.
    Last edited by BIGFAT29; 02-21-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: photo didnt upload

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    Anyone know if a schwalbe jumbo jim 26 x 4.8 will fit on a 2018 fatboy base ? Im sure the fit in the front will be okay but not sure of the rear.thinking about getting one. a lot of bang for the buck on these bikes m5 alloy frame , internal cables ,threaded bb , sram brakes ,tubeless ready wheels and a raceface crank.some dealers are even discounting them a little .anyone have one ? how do you like it ? thanks.
    Mine came with ground control 4.6 tires, and theres definitely room for a 4.8. It's a great bike, I bought a 2018 this fall and haven't had much time to ride it tho. But I agree, great bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I wouldn't see why not. They fit on my 2018 Fatboy Carbon. My JJ 4.8s are possibly up for sale if you are interested.

2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180215_122740%5B1%5D.jpg

2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180218_163955%5B1%5D.jpg

X-Ray Guy
    Does anyone have pictures of the 2018 Fatboy in Gloss Red? All my local dealers only brought in the black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of the 2018 Fatboy in Gloss Red? All my local dealers only brought in the black
    I could only find one pic not a very good one heres the link I couldnt get it to upload.
    https://goo.gl/images/rkLyDD

mtbr member
    I saw a red one a few months back at a local bike shop but its long gone now.the salesman said they were not making many of this model this year and for some reason not nearly as many of the red fatboys ? so I guess the red fatboys are rare and hard to get .the shops around me have plenty of black fatboy base bikes and fatboy se lower end model fatboys but no red ones anywhere. the red one was very cool super bright red with very shiny wet looking gloss coat over the red. the blue accents looked better than I thought.the bike looked like a carbon model.they were slow that day so I had them weigh it for me and it weighed just a tad over 31lbs and it was a medium size with pedals.
    Last edited by BIGFAT29; 02-22-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: trying to upload photo

mtbr member
    Thanks prj71 for the offer but I have a set of jj's from my other bike. your bike looks awesome !

X-Ray Guy
    I could only find one pic not a very good one heres the link I couldnt get it to upload.
    https://goo.gl/images/rkLyDD
    Ive seen that shot and I think there are one or two others floating around. I was hoping for personal shots but it does sound like the red fatboys are rare. Pity black is the new black for fatbikes.

mtbr member
    Jawz I hear ya . The red really pops.it looks like it will be hard to get one. hope someone will post some pics of his bike. (Update) just found another photo but still not a very good pic .looks like a xl or large but I cant tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Specialized Fatboy-fullsizeoutput_ac-1-.jpg  

Last edited by BIGFAT29; 02-22-2018 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I built my fatboy from a used frameset. When selecting Rims considered the aluminum HEDs but for the price of them than reading multiple stories of them getting bent and really only meant for snow riding decided against them. Pros of course were easily setup without tape (which I have never had a problem setting up a rim if I just take time and tape correctly).

Anyway are the rims coming on the fatboy "fragile: like the existing HED rims.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post

Anyway are the rims coming on the fatboy "fragile: like the existing HED rims.
    I would say no after I have set up 2 sets of tires tubeless on them already.

Tubeless on these Specialized Rims is a piece of cake. Tubeless ready rims (no tape required) and I've been able to set up 3 sets of tires with a hand pump...Ground Control 4.0, Jumbo Jims 4.8 and now 45nrth Flowbeist/Dunderbeist.

mtbr member
    2018 Specialized fatboy base red.I got some pics of actual red bike I just bought one.the camera just couldnt pick up the color in person it looks nothing like these photos.it is very bright glossy neon flouro safety red.I would say more glow in the dark red hard to describe. got it on sale for 1499.00 and it is very hard to find a red one dont know why? this rides great and light for stock set up.Im scared of carbon so tightening down front axle was sketchy for me. do I need to worry about this carbon fork or just snug it good and hard and thats it ? hope you guys dont mind Im a photo hog and I have more pics of everything on the bike if anyone wants to see more let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7195.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7180.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7178.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7194.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7181.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7214.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7191.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7203.jpg  

Last edited by BIGFAT29; 02-27-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: photos

X-Ray Guy
    That's what I was hoping to see...now I gotta talk to my lbs and what availability is like

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Schwalbe jumbo jims on fatboy

I just put schwalbe jumbo jim (liteskin) 26 x 4.8's and schwalbe sv13j tubes on and the result is pretty amazing with the bike weighing just over 28 lbs ! its a medium all stock with bars and seatpost cut a little , stout decals removed from the rims and all cage bolts removed except it does have a water bottle cage. stock weight before cutting ,stuff removal and ground control tires was just under 31lbs.the tubes were close to 390 grams each just a little over and the tires weighing in at 1205 for one then 1197 grams for the other ! this is the first time I bought tires that were this close or even within 100 grams of what the tire company claims the weights to be. the schwalbe box label reads 1190 ! as a example I bought the new addix compound speedgrip blue stripe snakeskin jumbo jim 4.8's for my other bike and the claimed weight was 1290 .one was 1380 the other 1445 grams.by the way there was plenty of room for the 4.8's that really measure about 4.4 NOT 4.8 ! very lucky day for me I will buy lottery tickets tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7287.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7288.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7286.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7294.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7296.jpg  

mtbr member

2018 specialized fatboy base upgrades

2018 specialized fatboy update.I put some upgrades on and got the weight down a little but not much its now just under 28.5 lbs.not bad for a aluminum bike (carbon fork) with tubes.most parts from ebay new take offs or closeout sales.did it on the cheap.this bike rides great and for 1500 on sale its hard to beat for a rigid fat beast.anyone have any long term reviews on this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7592.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7596.jpg  

2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7578.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I bought my new 2017 Fatboy Comp Carbon in March. It was an outrageous deal, so much so that I was able to upgrade its equipment to Shimano XT 1x11, TRP Slate four brakes, Ergon cork grips and a better seat, as well as some Duro Fleetwood 26x4.00 semi-slick tires for just under what a standard, OEM 2018 would cost me. It's black with some red and white detailing, and I think it's darn purdy.

I'd originally been looking for a red one, but when I found this one and then worked the price, well, I know when there's butter on my toast.

I put it on the scale today and it comes in at 29.4 lbs.

It is a wonderful bike to ride. I want to just keep going and going with it.

G
    Last edited by ramarren; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Awesome bike you have ramarren.how fast do those semi slick tires roll compared to the stock fat tires ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    2018 specialized fatboy update.I put some upgrades on and got the weight down a little but not much its now just under 28.5 lbs.not bad for a aluminum bike (carbon fork) with tubes.most parts from ebay new take offs or closeout sales.did it on the cheap.this bike rides great and for 1500 on sale its hard to beat for a rigid fat beast.anyone have any long term reviews on this bike.
    Take out the tubes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Awesome bike you have ramarren.how fast do those semi slick tires roll compared to the stock fat tires ?
    Thanks!

I only rode a very short way on the OEM knobbies when the bike first arrived, just to try them. I ride virtually all the time on pavement, so knobbies soak up power and make noise that I'd rather do without.

With these Duro Fleetwoods inflated to 23-25 psi, the bike rides smooth as can be—I fly along level paved paths at 15-16 mph without even pushing, just pedaling at a solid 75 rpm with my heart rate steady at 118-122. I've got the bike geared now (Raceface 32T chain ring turning a Sunrace 11-46T cassette) so that I run out of spin in the tallest gear at around 110 rpm (I just can't pedal any faster) or about 26 mph.

Braking and cornering performance are likewise fantastic: cornering traction is outta sight and the TRP Slate4T brakes are amazingly powerful, fade free, and have a beautiful, smooth engagement that's easy to modulate. The stock Shimano brakes were about as powerful, but the TRPs have a smoother engagement and feel.

(BTW: if anyone wants the OEM tires—Ground Control Fat, Control casing, 26x4.0"", 120TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready; stock shifter/derailleur—SRAM X9 10-spd and SRAM X0, long cage, 10spd; or brake calipers and levers—Shimano Deore hydraulic disc with resin pads, I'll make you a good deal! Tires are new, essentially, and the brakes/shifter/derailleur have less than 100 miles of use on them. Send me a PM if you're interested, they'll be listed on Ebay very soon but I'll give a better deal to anyone on this forum. )

Love this bike! It's just an amazing machine to ride.

G

mtbr member
    Thanks. a set of semi slicks like you have might find a place on my fatboy. Ive been riding on pavement more often and Im finding that on the ultra smooth road or path flat surface I am running out of gear. I might have to go from a 30t to a 32t.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks. a set of semi slicks like you have might find a place on my fatboy. Ive been riding on pavement more often and Im finding that on the ultra smooth road or path flat surface I am running out of gear. I might have to go from a 30t to a 32t.
    Depending on what year and model Fatboy you have, be careful of the rim width. The 2017 Fatboy Comp Carbon has 90mm width (outside) rims; the 2018 are narrower width, I think about 80mm outside (Spesh lists 76mm inside width).

The available roadie smooth tires for fat bikes is limited. These Duro Fleetwood 26x4.00, the Origin8 SuperCell 26x4.00, and the Surly Black Floyd 26x3.80 are the ones I'm familiar with. The Black Floyd tire was designed for a 65mm wide rim and, in the opinion of the maker, is being stretched too far on a 90 or 100mm rim. I have them on my iZip Sumo on 75mm rims and they work well, but I wouldn't put them on rims wider than 80mm. The SuperCells look like they'll work on rims up to 100mm wide by the reviews I've seen, but the only tire pressure marking says "max inflation to 20 psi", which is a bit limiting for the street, particularly for heavier riders. The Fleetwoods I'd also seen in tests on rims up to 100mm and seemed to do well; the inflation range on the tire lists "15 to 30 psi", and I've found 23-25 works very very well.

The interesting bit is that the Duros mounted and inflated to 25 psi on 90mm rims are narrower than the Surlys mounted and inflated to 25 psi on 75mm rims, but they're just about exactly the same diameter. The Duro sidewalls on the Fatboy definitely feel stiffer and have crisper cornering response compared to the Surly tires on the Sumo. They roll with about the same smooth ease on pavement.

I've had a lot of fun sorting all this stuff out and making the FCC work the way I wanted. Sorry if I've gone on a bit...

G

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    There is also the Vee Speedster Tires for road use

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the Vee Speedster reference! I don't think I'd heard of them before, at least not in the ~26x4.00 sizing. I see they have three tire models in this sizing range:

Apache Fatty Slick 26x4.50
    Chicane 26x3.50
    Speedster 26x3.50

Link to their site: https://www.veetireco.com/

Good stuff!

G

mtbr member
    thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    PM sent about parts
    Deflated Cyclestuff-
    random junk/old collection of new-old-refurbished parts/bikes for sale on eBay

FATTrailer for the kiddo

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009

Good job!

Seems like the only current Fatboy thread with some recent discussions....... Nice Fatboys ramarran and BIGFAT29 (or should it be BIGFAT26?) Kudos as they are very nimble and fun bikes to ride for sure. I haven't rode my carbon 29er since picking up a Fatboy 4 months ago as it's so much fun.

Sounds like you both found some good deals by finding either a left over model year bike (great idea) or a good deal on a new base Fatboy. I tried both but needing a size XL which none were in stock locally or available to order from Specialized. So I went another route and found an upgraded clean used 2016 XL Fatboy Carbon Expert for a smoking deal (only 1/3 the cost of new) and couldn't be happier.

It had already been upgraded with a Syntace carbon bar and P6 hi flex seatpost running a larger 30 tooth front chainring. I just added a carbon Prologo seat I had lying around and changed the theme from white/red to a white/green combo.

The bike is very light (24lbs) and with big 4.8" tubless Jumbo Jims mounted on the HED carbon wheels it accelerates like a lightweight 29er, but with so much more grip! Basically all the grip of a Fatbike without all the weight penalties for the big tires which is hard to believe, until you ride it.

Quick photo when I first bought it. I will post a few later with the changes I made.

2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180123_172624.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome bike mister chevy power.Awesome bike indeed ! love the white.I stuck with the 29 name as I wore out a few of those bikes.tried to change but 26 was used.more pics of your bike please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
    Seems like the only current Fatboy thread with some recent discussions.......

... The bike is very light (24lbs) and with big 4.8" tubless Jumbo Jims mounted on the HED carbon wheels it accelerates like a lightweight 29er, but with so much more grip! Basically all the grip of a Fatbike without all the weight penalties for the big tires which is hard to believe, until you ride it.

Quick photo when I first bought it. I will post a few later with the changes I made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180123_172624.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	1196225
    Lovely machine! More pix, yeah ...

I think my FCC weighed a pound or two less when I bought it due to the seat and the el crappo plastic pedals they supplied with it, maybe the tires too. But, eh? Doesn't matter, it's still an amazingly light and spirited beastie that is nimble and massive fun!

I never got to test ride one before I bought it: There was not one to be found new or used in any shop within a 100 mile radius. So it was a leap of faith that this bike would The One that worked for me. The geometry seemed right, I liked how it looked, and the dealer I bought it from gave me a price that was a third off the MSRP for the model in 2017. I upgraded the drive and brakes to the next level, made it comfortable and useful, and remain amazed at just how nice it is to ride and how far I can go on it.

Life is Good when it all works out!

G

mtbr member
    I Ride my fat bikes year round and this fatboy is lots of fun.glad it worked out for you to.

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009

Smile

I Ride my fat bikes year round and this fatboy is lots of fun.glad it worked out for you to.
    Yes the Fatboy is so much fun I have been riding it consistently on the dirt trails since the snow had melted and having a blast. It just makes old familiar trails more fun and seem like new trails as you try different lines that only the fat tires can do. Can't wait to try it on my favorite flow trails this summer.

This winter I rode it through the snow covered trails as above with the 4.6" Ground Control tires tubless and they worked out very good. Only changes for winter riding was adding some quick removal fenders whenever the snow was sloppy, some Bar Mitts as needed and my carbon Prologo seat as it is more comfortable for me. Bike worked out great with no complaints on both groomed trails and fresh powder as I put on about 225 miles of snow riding.

2018 Specialized Fatboy-2018-05-03-15.11.29.jpg
    2018 Specialized Fatboy-2018-05-03-15.10.27.jpg
    2018 Specialized Fatboy-screenshot_2018-02-11-09-16-08-1.jpg
    2018 Specialized Fatboy-screenshot_2018-02-11-09-04-24-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks like you had sno problem with your fatboy in the snow.Better be careful as you might not be able to find that white bike in all that white stuff.the matching fenders are very cool !

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Yes indeed! Sno....... problems! LOL The light front end makes it easy to lift over trail obsticals and the GC tires worked good at 6psi on groomed trails and 3 to 4 psi on powder snow.

Soon I realized the front fender is not needed as the carbon frame down tube is so wide it already acts like a front fender.

So I removed the front fender and while the snow was melting making the trails, roads and sidewalks messy I kept the rear fender which does help a lot.
    Also swapped out the red grips for some chunky black ESI foam grips.

2018 Specialized Fatboy-screenshot_2018-01-28-21-41-23-1.jpg
    2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180224_164850.jpg
    2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180224_171104.jpg

Now able to get some decent speed up without the snow I realized how nice the extra wide Syntace bars are and the extra comfort of the carbon hi flex seatpost. Like the SWAT head set with the built in chain breaker tool and spare quick link storage. I like the SWAT tool kit on the bottom of the water bottle cage so much I may put them on my other bikes.

2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180121_194210.jpg
    2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180121_192425.jpg

Typically I ride with SPD clip less pedals but for the winter months had great luck with some Kona Wah Wah 2 pedals and would recommend them. They are light weight and huge so plenty of support and grip when riding in winter boots.

2018 Specialized Fatboy-20180119_185229.jpg

mtbr member
    I saw the kona pedals on the net and even a great review of them and learned of the narrow q factor they have. they would be excellent for the wider pedal stance that most fat bikes have.I didnt realise that some pedals have a narrow q factor. I was thinking narrow q in bottom bracket or pedal stance width only. those kona pedals must be just right for your bike.I have big feet so the more pedal the better and they indeed look big.I got some light xpedo spry pedals for under 50.00 bucks for now but when these give out I will get some (alloy version)wah wah's.those kona pedals are pretty expensive at 120.00 for the alloy. Im having lots of creaking on my new bike but I think its coming from the headset/stem.the new ritchey stem is a little taller than the stock stem so it might just be improper spacer rings.
    Last edited by BIGFAT29; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:17 PM. Reason: pic

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I intend to ride my FCC all year round ... It will be my only bike if I sell the electric fat bike.

The Kona pedals look good! I have SCAMP pedals at present: very nice, a bit pricey.

I'm not sure what "Q factor" is ... somebody explain, please?

G

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    LMGTFY. Basically it boils down to how far apart your feet are on the pedals. Technically it's the measurement from outside to outside of the cranks, which is arguably wider than ideal on a fatbike for many riders.
    In this case others are referring to the fact that the platform on the Kona pedals are closer to the crank arm than is found on most pedals, in part mitigating the wide Q factor issue associated with fatties.

What is 'Q Factor', and does it make a difference? - Cycling Weekly

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hmm. What does "LMGTFY" stand for? Not seen that one before.

Thanks. I'd not seen the 'Q Factor' nomenclature, but have been familiar with the notion of stance.

Looking at the Kona pedals, they seem about the same as the SCAMP pedals I bought, and the footing area is sited about 12mm closer to the crank arm than the pedals on my iZip Sumo fat ebike. Perhaps this is another reason I find the FCC such a comfortable bike to ride!

t'nx again!
    G

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    "Typically I ride with SPD clip less pedals but for the winter months had great luck with some Kona Wah Wah 2 pedals and would recommend them."

Why not clipless year round? I find being clipless really helps power thru the snow, especially on the uphills.

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm

Primarily so I can keep my feet from freezing. My SPD shoes (couple different pairs) are highly vented, non-insulated and not water proof so I wanted to wear my light weight North Face winter sport boots which do not have SPD cleats on them. Plus I can use my North Face boots for other tasks where I would not if using a set of 45 North clip less boots.

Secondarily for more confidence while riding in snow being able to "toss a leg" quickly. When riding in powder I find staying on your bike is not about having your feet locked to the pedals but rather switching your weight constantly to keep your balance on slippery surfaces. Much like a tight rope walker may use/swing their body or arms from side to side to keep their balance.

I ride aggressively and being able to "toss a leg" out to the side quickly is often the difference of clearing a trail section or having to stop. Flat platform pedals make this much faster and easier.

Thirdly, starting on a fat bike in fluffy powder is hard to get going at times by just using the "first push" or first half rotation of the cranks where you can easily spin a tire and you are dead in the snow so to speak. Having a foot clicked in can make this more challenging (for me) where the platforms worked out awesome.

And finally is nice to have flexible high traction grip snow/nice boots on when you have to hike-a-bike up a hill you can't clear or spun out on due to deep power snow.

I suppose if all you rode was hard packed groomed trails in the winter a set of SPD pedals would be fine, but I ride in conditions the platforms are the best choice for winter riding. But as they say "Your millage may vary".

Basically I have never used platform pedals until now and absolutely love them in the snow over SPD pedals so they work for me and my riding buddies. However I hate them on dry bumpy summer trails now that I am able to ride much harder bombing rocky rooty downhill sections faster than ever. For now I am back on SPD pedals for summer and the platforms are in my bike bag until next winter.

Overall just use what makes you feel most comfortable and enjoy the ride as it's always better that a day at work.

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Since there is some pedal interest I would recommend the Kona Wah Wah 2 pedals as they have performed without any issues during winter and spring riding if you are looking for a nice platform pedal. They have very aggressive "studs" so much so I removed 6 screws from each one to give me a little bit of "float" while riding and still had more than enough grip even in snowy conditions. Also they are quite light weight weighing virtually the same as my SPD XT clip less pedals but with way more surface area to stand on making them comfortable for long rides.

I was initially concerned with the Q factor of a Fatbike that could handle 5" tires as I have a bad knee. So much so I was focusing on a Fat CAAD 1 based on their narrow Q factor claims. However with the Wah Wah 2 pedals on my Fatboy I have never thought about how wide the Q factor is while riding as it had not been an issue that I have noticed even after 2 hours or constant riding.

mtbr member

2018 specialized fatboy creak

Anyone else having bottom bracket creaking noises on a new fatboy ? it only makes the sound when getting on it hard in or out of the saddle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Specialized Fatboy-img_7665.jpg  

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    No, no creaking issues at all in both winter or summer riding. Likely just needs a little grease. However sometimes a dry seatpost can also creak noticeably when spinning the crankset aggressively.

I say If it's a new bike have the dealer fix it.

mtbr member
    Seatpost is full of grease so will see about getting bb some more grease.

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Seatpost is full of grease so will see about getting bb some more grease.
    I believe you have external threaded bottom bracket bearing cups so it's super easy to pop those out, clean, regrease and thread them back in. Only need a BB wrench and some waterproof grease and you are good to go.

Press in BB bearings are a little more tricky but not awful with the right knock out tool (I use a Park Tool) and a bearing press I made from washers and some threaded rod.