mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2018 Fat Bike Birkie thread

How are trail conditions?

Does anyone have tire recommendations?

I've been on studded Wrathchild tires all season, but could switch to Barbis or another tire if conditions warrant a change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So who is doing the Birkie this weekend?

The YouTube videos posted by the trail crew look good. I'm thinking I'll change tires tonight. The snow should be a super highway.

If you see me say hi. I'm a fat guy with a beard on a purple Farley 7. I'm weak and slow so I should be the only one with a blue 26T chainring.

mtbr member
    I will be there. I am a planning on rolling on 4" Dillingers, but will have a Nate with me if it appears it could get soft. I too qualify as weak and slow for this event. Gate 4 for me. Red jacket, maroon Mukluk with red wheel hubs & white helmet.

Year before last Dillingers were fine and temps look similar. Conditions look ideal!

Trail Conditions ‚Äď Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association

Webcams | American Birkebeiner

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My buddy and I are headed out there from Colorado. Looking forward to it. Bringing Dunderbeist and Flowbeist- they are all the tires I have so hopefully they'll do! Anything special I should bring that is unique to the Birkie that I wouldn't normally think of for a 60K fatbike race on snow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post
    My buddy and I are headed out there from Colorado. Looking forward to it. Bringing Dunderbeist and Flowbeist- they are all the tires I have so hopefully they'll do! Anything special I should bring that is unique to the Birkie that I wouldn't normally think of for a 60K fatbike race on snow?
    There is some good news and bad news. First, the good news, it is only 47k. The bad news is that you will likely underestimate the hills. You will get 3,000+ feet of climbing in over 28 miles. They are short, punchy hills so they are not climbs that you can settle into.

The race is very well supported. Water and feed stations are scattered along the course. I will carry one water bottle and some of my own nutrition.

Your tires should be fine as there should be no ice this year.

45nrth generally has some great deals on tires and gear. I recall them selling studded Dillingers in 2016 for $168/ea. If you are in the market for something, bring some $.

Looks like 10 degrees at night, 20 degrees to start and low 30's toward the end. No snow expected between now an then. I expect a well groomed, firm course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'll be there, but just doing the short race. I've been riding studded Terrene Wazias this winter. The traction and roll are good. I have a slight issue with the sidewalls oozing sealant but other than that, I think they're great. I did the short race two years ago and as blue said, the hills will surprise you. No really long grinds but enough of the short steep hills that you will get your heart rate up a bit. I thought the race was well organized, well staffed and a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I will be doing the short again this year. My winter training program was derailed by medical problems. I did the short the last 2 years and I tried the long 3 years ago, but failed to finish. It got warm and the snow got soft. I got dehydrated and my legs locked up. The hills are no joke.

I changed tires last night. I forgot how much I dislike changing tires on those rims. Took me 1.5 hours and worked up a good sweat.

mtbr member
    Conditions are AWESOME. It is very firm and fast. Overcooking some of the downhill corners...or riders around you doing the same and taking out others may be the biggest hazards.

Pumped up 4" tires will be the order of the day, even for us 200+lb guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iíll be there doing the long course. Running a 4.6 studded Cake Eater/Wazia combo on my Otso. Probably not the best tires for the day but Iím not going to overthink it. Iím more worried about how to dress. Thatís a tough temperature range to stay dry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow. You couldnít have asked for a better day on snow. Beautiful weather and a fantastic course.

Canít wait until next year.

mtbr member
    The corduroy highway...

2018 Fat Bike Birkie thread-birkie-cordaroy-highway.jpg2018 Fat Bike Birkie thread-birkie-laydown.jpg2018 Fat Bike Birkie thread-birkie-start.jpg

Needless to say, a great day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    The corduroy highway...
    ..Needless to say, a great day.
    Wow!...a world of difference compared to last year.

MN/WI
    The course was wonderful. Too bad they weren't serving beer yet after I finished the Chico. You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Welp that was the most fun I've ever had at a race before! Thanks bluecheeshead for the tips! I'll be back next year for sure. Might need to learn how to take the downhill corners faster if I want to shave significant time off. I kept riding the brakes big-time around the turns- felt like I was always about to wash out. Overall I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a weekend!