mtbr member
    Is it wrong for me to consider doing a 27.5+
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    Not wrong. The 27.5 x 3.8 tires that come stock on this thing can be run on 40mm-80mm wide rims, these tires are actually measuring 3.2-3.5 inches wide on the narrower rims.
    Totally doable!!!
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    Is it wrong for me to consider doing a 27.5+
    It pretty much is already.
    Those tires run narrow. Put them on narrower rims like 65mm and you'd have a sub 3.5" tire.
    If you were to run standard B+ tires....you may have a really low bb

I run the 26" version Hodags on 65mm rims and they are about 3.5 after a year of riding.

mtbr member

Subtle, very subtle, sometimes you have to smooth with your approach

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-collage.door.jpg
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    I think your getting a new Farley

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collage.door.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	1095394
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    I'd be interested in doing this possibly with the new Pike 29+ fork, possibly even Olaf Lefty
    The Pike 29+ fork is only available on bikes for now, not available aftermarket yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Farley EX 9.8

I just got the new Farley EX 9.8. I was riding the 2015 Farley 8. Initial impressions: The EX has a wide bottom bracket, but I am getting used to that. I noticed the pedal strikes way more. I hit my calves on occasion on the seat stays, they are wide and when seated and pedaling I hit if the bike if it is not perfectly straight up and down. Thats all the negitive stuff for me. The 27.5 wheels are faster and do keep your momentum going better than the 26. I dont notice any negative impact from the 27.5 wheels. It is a very stout frame, so stiff. It feels great. I love how I can get more pump out of the full suspension, and more pre-load before jumps. The Bluto is a standard bluto so not super stiff, but it work well for my terrain. I am still working on getting the rear suspension dialed in, it feels a bit harsh. I upgraded the bars to sixc 35mm 35mm rise and love them. This bike is a ton of fun to ride and thats why I bought it. Racing it at Ice Man next month. I am expecting my time to improve vs the hardtail, this bike is faster!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-farley-ex-9.8.jpg  

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-farley-ex-9.8-2.jpg  

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi all I am new here but have been following a few threads for a while now. My thoughts on this sweet machine is just that. My first few rides on it were unreal and had me thinking that they have perfected the mountain bike. I have since taken it on some bigger rides and while still awesome and quite possibly my favorite bike it wasnt nearly as lively as my regular mtb. Still would highly recommend to anyone.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    I picked up a Farley ex 8 last week so far super fun bike.

Haven't had a ton of time on it but can tell it is fun and rolls great.

Enjoyed it setup stock tried my 29+ wheels while setting up the stock wheels tubeless.

29+

Stock

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    So, do you like the 29+ better or the stock 3.8s?

mtbr member

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike

I wouldn't say I like them better I had the Farley 9.8 before this one so full rigid and used both wheels sets. I like the options of changing based on how I am feeling or where I am riding. I also have a 26x4.8 wheel set for deep snow that I put on to validate they fit.

I just like having options as this is my only mountain bike so it will be well used.

T

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cool, thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    How does the Farley EX compare to a Top Fuel? The 29+ option intrigues me for XC racing.

mtbr member
    I rode a top fuel for a few weeks really liked it which is one reason I went this direction. For me it is very comparable other than weight of the Farley being a little heavier. I think this bike will work for XC racing with the 29+ or 27.5x3.8. I need to change the front chainring 34-36 oval and want to get the new e thirteen 9-44 cassette and then XC will be good.

T

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    so is the bottom bracket drastically wider than your old Farley 8 ?
    i was under the impression that the Farley EX 9.8 uses the NEXT SL cranks and flipped chainring to achieve the same Q factor as a 170 or 177 frame.

QUOTE=Telebikes;12867994]I just got the new Farley EX 9.8. I was riding the 2015 Farley 8. Initial impressions: The EX has a wide bottom bracket, but I am getting used to that. I noticed the pedal strikes way more. I hit my calves on occasion on the seat stays, they are wide and when seated and pedaling I hit if the bike if it is not perfectly straight up and down. Thats all the negitive stuff for me. The 27.5 wheels are faster and do keep your momentum going better than the 26. I dont notice any negative impact from the 27.5 wheels. It is a very stout frame, so stiff. It feels great. I love how I can get more pump out of the full suspension, and more pre-load before jumps. The Bluto is a standard bluto so not super stiff, but it work well for my terrain. I am still working on getting the rear suspension dialed in, it feels a bit harsh. I upgraded the bars to sixc 35mm 35mm rise and love them. This bike is a ton of fun to ride and thats why I bought it. Racing it at Ice Man next month. I am expecting my time to improve vs the hardtail, this bike is faster![/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a question for anyone who has switched over to the 27.5 from 26. Do you use less pressure than you would with the same 3.8 hodags on the 27.5?

mtbr member
    I had the first Farley with 26 wheels and hodags the pressure is a personal preference. I am heavier than most people I ride with and generally use more pressure. If I recall I use the same general pressure.

T

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    that could be a deal breaker for me. really want a farley EX 9.8 but I am concerned that the Q factor will be too wide for me.

QUOTE=Telebikes;12868406]It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykongchamp View Post
    that could be a deal breaker for me. really want a farley EX 9.8 but I am concerned that the Q factor will be too wide for me.

QUOTE=Telebikes;12868406]It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it caught me be surprise. The only issue I have found is with pedal strikes and that is very manageable. Pedaling with the width has not been an issue yet, but only
    2 rides so far

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    pedal strikes are manageable for sure. the wide q factor is a little more of a slow change for the body to adapt to. i tried to get my body to adapt to a specialized fatboy carbon last year but just couldn't do it. so i sold it.

Yeah, it caught me be surprise. The only issue I have found is with pedal strikes and that is very manageable. Pedaling with the width has not been an issue yet, but only
    2 rides so far[/QUOTE]

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telebikes View Post
    I have a question for anyone who has switched over to the 27.5 from 26. Do you use less pressure than you would with the same 3.8 hodags on the 27.5?
    I switched over from a hardtail 26 to a Salsa Bucksaw, running 27.5, with Hodags. I generally ride with higher pressure than on 26 in all instances, but I'm not a big fan of having the sidewalls fold over on me. In the snow, I''ll go as low as I can without denting the rims.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    The Wider bottom bracket shouldn't be a concern as it is actually better for your knee's and you should in Theory be able to put more power to the ground.

Ex. If you were to go to the gym and try to squat with your feet close together you would be limited by your poor foot location. The wider bottom brackets actually put your feet in a much better position to exert power. So honestly the wider bottom bracket is a good thing for pretty much everyone.

Just think if your a big guy, wide hips and big legs your legs are on an inward angle which then puts stress on the outer part of your new joint.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Wider bottom bracket shouldn't be a concern as it is actually better for your knee's and you should in Theory be able to put more power to the ground.

Ex. If you were to go to the gym and try to squat with your feet close together you would be limited by your poor foot location. The wider bottom brackets actually put your feet in a much better position to exert power. So honestly the wider bottom bracket is a good thing for pretty much everyone.

Just think if your a big guy, wide hips and big legs your legs are on an inward angle which then puts stress on the outer part of your new joint.
    It may be better for my knee's, but after pedaling normal Q factor bikes for 10+ years it definitely puts strain on my ankles, knees, and hips. I should note that I am a big guy at 6'4" with a 36" waist. That being said, I want my legs to adjust so badly because this bike feels like a dirt bike without a motor. It is so much fun to ride. 27.5 wheels are so much faster, it's amazing!

mtbr member
    It may be better for my knee's, but after pedaling normal Q factor bikes for 10+ years it definitely puts strain on my ankles, knees, and hips. I should note that I am a big guy at 6'4" with a 36" waist. That being said, I want my legs to adjust so badly because this bike feels like a dirt bike without a motor. It is so much fun to ride. 27.5 wheels are so much faster, it's amazing!
    Curious if your riding clipped in ??

If you switch to flat pedals and a pair of 510 shoe's I am betting a silver dollar your discomfort will go away.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Curious if your riding clipped in ??

If you switch to flat pedals and a pair of 510 shoe's I am betting a silver dollar your discomfort will go away.
    I ride clipped always. I have a size 16 foot so there are no good flat shoe options for me. I have a hard time keeping my big feet on flat pedals unforunately.

mtbr member
    I ride clipped always. I have a size 16 foot so there are no good flat shoe options for me. I have a hard time keeping my big feet on flat pedals unforunately.
    Wow, I didn't know they made a clippless shoe that big.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member

My new Farley EX 8 in 29+ mode

Here's my new Farley EX 8. I also swapped the Bluto for the Fox 34 I had on my Stache+ and am running 29+ wheels. I also have 9Point8 dropper and Shimano m8000XT drivetrain and discs. Really, REALLY, love the ride on this bike! It's an XL sized frame and weighs ~31 pounds as shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-farleyex1.jpg  

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Tested for 2 days.2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-p4pb14046332.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey all! Brand new here. Been reading for the last few weeks about Fat Bikes and got me a Farley EX 8 last Fri. Let go of my YETI last march after Moab and been without since. Look forward to a good couple weeks. Headed to Bella Vista AR this morning from Central Ks. Doing Slaughter Pen and Blowing Spring for a couple days then down to the Womble at Lake Ouachita. Got 2 KTMs, ( 640Adv and 450EXC) the Kayak and the Trek all loaded up in the trailer. Should be fun!!

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

So 26 x 4.8 actually fits?

Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    I wouldn't say I like them better I had the Farley 9.8 before this one so full rigid and used both wheels sets. I like the options of changing based on how I am feeling or where I am riding. I also have a 26x4.8 wheel set for deep snow that I put on to validate they fit.

I just like having options as this is my only mountain bike so it will be well used.

T
    Tad, just wanted to make sure- you've actually ridden the bike with 26 x 4.8 and it works? What width were the rims? Cuz others have been saying the 4.8 won't fit due to the suspension arch. Thinking of getting one if I can run 26 x 4.7 in the winter.

mtbr member
    i have minions 26x4.8 on 80's no issues with fit or ride. i will get some photos this weekend if i have time to show how they compare to the stock 27.5x3.8 Hodag's

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by allezdude View Post
    Tad, just wanted to make sure- you've actually ridden the bike with 26 x 4.8 and it works? What width were the rims? Cuz others have been saying the 4.8 won't fit due to the suspension arch. Thinking of getting one if I can run 26 x 4.7 in the winter.
    Can you please do a width measurement as well?
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member

Wheels tested no issues with any rubbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This really could be one bike for all seasons. Fits D5's on Mulefut 80's

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-15397669_10154559072225751_1825737270_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rear Shock doesn't like the cold, -25c

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-20161207_191445.jpg

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-20161207_193125.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-20161207_193125.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    holy cow. Thats brutal

A-Y
    mtbr member
    Anyone else having issues with the Bontrager Drop Line seat post in the cold (sub zero celsius temps.)? Dropper won't hold its position and drops all the way within a few minutes of pedalling, seems worse the colder it is. Its been in the LBS once already and I'm going to have to bring it back again. Otherwise this is a great bike. The suspension really smooths outs the ruts and bumps caused by frozen foot prints.
    2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-img_4013.jpg

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how much the EX 9.8 frame weighs? I have not been able to track a frame weight down yet.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post

Name:	20161207_191445.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1109237

Name:	20161207_193125.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1109239
    Warranty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

QUOTE=Telebikes;12868406]It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.
    Flipping the chainring changes the chainline, NOT the Q. The Q factor is the width from outside of crank arm at pedal to outside of crank arm at pedal.

A 120mm crank spindle will have 20mm wider Q factor on average than a 100mm bb.

Some cranks have a narrower Q, like the Next SL.

If you want a 100mm bb it may be possible, you just need to look at crank clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post

Name:	20161207_191445.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1109237

Name:	20161207_193125.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1109239
    That shouldn't be a suprising, the Bluto would have the same problem. -25 is very cold for air shocks with rubber seals.

I just had this vision of you riding back to the car, fork and shock fully compressed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    That shouldn't be a suprising, the Bluto would have the same problem. -25 is very cold for air shocks with rubber seals.

I just had this vision of you riding back to the car, fork and shock fully compressed
    Why? Fox float snowmobile shox work fine.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by A-Y View Post
    Anyone else having issues with the Bontrager Drop Line seat post in the cold (sub zero celsius temps.)? Dropper won't hold its position and drops all the way within a few minutes of pedalling, seems worse the colder it is. Its been in the LBS once already and I'm going to have to bring it back again. Otherwise this is a great bike. The suspension really smooths outs the ruts and bumps caused by frozen foot prints.

Name:	IMG_4013.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	1111221
    Only cold certified dropper is the 9point8 fall line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would guess it's around 6.5-7.5 lbs including the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I have ridden my Drop Line around zero with no issues. It is slow but works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    His dropper was the 9point8 as well, it has also gone in for warranty.

A-Y
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    I have ridden my Drop Line around zero with no issues. It is slow but works.
    Bontrager sent a replacement Drop Line and so far it appears to work well. Tested on two rides: -5 and -10C respectively with no slowness when triggered. I also noticed the replacement had the trigger under the bar vs. over the bar that came stock with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Y View Post
    Bontrager sent a replacement Drop Line and so far it appears to work well. Tested on two rides: -5 and -10C respectively with no slowness when triggered. I also noticed the replacement had the trigger under the bar vs. over the bar that came stock with the bike.

We had a couple of the Bontreger droppers in the group, both were fine at -30c. Thats where I'm going next.

mtbr member

Well i think im going to pull a trigger on a 8 next season.

Never found a drawback for my 3.8" hodags on my farley 6 for my conditions. But im going to keep it as ive put some $$ into it and it can be my really cold weather bike, also had a gnarwhal on it, might put another and it can be an icy condition bike then too.

Ill probably ditch the dropper for weight savings. How much is saved going tubeless? Heard 3lbs but i doubt that. If its 33 lbs thats fine, just make the legs stronger for summer xc season.

I seen the dish on the ring was wrong on the ex my lbs has. Its chainlines not centered, is that for tire rub or is it set up wrong?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast