Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Solarplex, I just recently got an EX8 and it's unbelievable. I'm amazed how well the Hodags do on snow AND ice. I was prepared to look for a 26x4 winter wheelset option or studs for winter but after a few rides in the New England ice/snow, I'm going to hold off. Now I don't claim this set up would be great for deep, fresh snow but that's not really what we have where I ride. I dropped my pressure down to 7psi and it performs very well. The Hodags are siped just like a winter car tire which is why they do so well on ice. Im not talking about smooth, clear ice (obviously studs would be needed) but where I ride we get a lot of temperature swings so trails get slushy and then freezes. As long as there is some texture to the ice like tire tracks or even snow shoe tracks, this bike grips like crazy. I was recently on a ride with a couple of guys running studded tires and was passing by them on icy frozen hills. So I'm going to hold off on spending money on tires or winter wheelsets for now. As a bonus, this thing absolutely rips on dirt. I also have a Stumpjumper 6Fattie and this is just as good. Maybe a tad heavier but not by much. You can save some weight losing the dropper post but I would recommend trying it first. Once you get used to using them, its hard to go back. I saved about 1 pound per tire losing the tubes. HUGE improvement because its rotational weight. It also made the tires feel more supple. And as far as the dish on the ring, its supposed to be that way for better chainline. I had my salesman call Trek right in front of me and they confirmed this. The whole setup works very well. I was a little worried that the Bluto fork would be the weak link with this bike but I can say that it has performed flawlessly for me so far.
    So if you are going to ride predominantly in deep powdery snow, you might want a wider tire or if you were going to ride this solely as a summer bike, maybe a 3.0 tire might be better. BUT, the nice thing about the 197 rear spacing is you can run just about any wheel/tire combo you want- 26fat, 27.5+ or 29. But the way it comes is pretty friggin' sweet for all around thrashing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigrob View Post
    Solarplex, I just recently got an EX8 and it's unbelievable. I'm amazed how well the Hodags do on snow AND ice. I was prepared to look for a 26x4 winter wheelset option or studs for winter but after a few rides in the New England ice/snow, I'm going to hold off. Now I don't claim this set up would be great for deep, fresh snow but that's not really what we have where I ride. I dropped my pressure down to 7psi and it performs very well. The Hodags are siped just like a winter car tire which is why they do so well on ice. Im not talking about smooth, clear ice (obviously studs would be needed) but where I ride we get a lot of temperature swings so trails get slushy and then freezes. As long as there is some texture to the ice like tire tracks or even snow shoe tracks, this bike grips like crazy. I was recently on a ride with a couple of guys running studded tires and was passing by them on icy frozen hills. So I'm going to hold off on spending money on tires or winter wheelsets for now. As a bonus, this thing absolutely rips on dirt. I also have a Stumpjumper 6Fattie and this is just as good. Maybe a tad heavier but not by much. You can save some weight losing the dropper post but I would recommend trying it first. Once you get used to using them, its hard to go back. I saved about 1 pound per tire losing the tubes. HUGE improvement because its rotational weight. It also made the tires feel more supple. And as far as the dish on the ring, its supposed to be that way for better chainline. I had my salesman call Trek right in front of me and they confirmed this. The whole setup works very well. I was a little worried that the Bluto fork would be the weak link with this bike but I can say that it has performed flawlessly for me so far.
    So if you are going to ride predominantly in deep powdery snow, you might want a wider tire or if you were going to ride this solely as a summer bike, maybe a 3.0 tire might be better. BUT, the nice thing about the 197 rear spacing is you can run just about any wheel/tire combo you want- 26fat, 27.5+ or 29. But the way it comes is pretty friggin' sweet for all around thrashing.
    We get only 12" maybe pow over the winter. give any big storm ~6" a week and its groomed. I have no need for wide tires, hell i seen some guy was killing my strava this year times with a superfly and ice spiker pros!

But yah i like the flexibility, 26 fat, 27.5 fat, 29+. Would run it 27.5 winter and 29+ summer when i dont want to run my top fuel.

I had a dropper last bike, dont need it.

I know i can get a cold weather kit for the bluto, the only worry is the rear shock now... no idea if there is a cold weather kit for it.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    This was on treks website. Interdasting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Barbegazi in Bluto? I have understood that Bluto does not have enough space for this tyre...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebster View Post
    Barbegazi in Bluto? I have understood that Bluto does not have enough space for this tyre...
    Yes thats the word. Some say under 6psi it will. Maybe thats what hes doing

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    This was on treks website. Interdasting.

That loop of housing to the RD is obscene.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Iv been on my 9.8 for a bit longer now and I did get used to the wider bottom bracket. Since I have a hard-tail Farley and we have no snow I put on a set of 29+ wheels that I bought second hand. I love this bike with the 29+, tons of traction, lighter and faster. I highly recommend the 29+!2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I agree with the 29+ wheels...they roll so well and roll over everything. I did put the 4.5" tires on my 27.5 wheels and they work great too, but they require 6psi or less so they don't rub in the bluto. I also bought a set of 26" wheels and mounted 45nrth studded 4.8's for icy conditions and they work awesome! Now i have a crazy good bike for any weather conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Wheel sets

Here is the bike with the three different wheels...love them all depending on the ride. 2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-img_4708.jpg2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-img_4608.jpg2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-img_4441.jpg

A-Y
    mtbr member
    The first pic looks like you are running the Barbegazi (27.5x4.7?) on stock rims. Looks like a tight fit on the front. How does the ride compare with the stock Hodags?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Trek Farley EX 9.8

Quote Originally Posted by A-Y View Post
    The first pic looks like you are running the Barbegazi (27.5x4.7?) on stock rims. Looks like a tight fit on the front. How does the ride compare with the stock Hodags?
    Yes, that's correct. The fit is very tight both front and back. I can't run more then 6PSI or it will rub the crown. As for the ride, it's pretty similar but with a lot more float and once it get rolling it fast, but the biggest difference for me is, it raises the bottom bracket which minimizes the peddle strikes I've been experiencing. I live in a rocky area witch you benefit with a higher bottom bracket, hence why I also love the 29+ on this bike as it rolls amazingly with the feeling of tire without the rotational weight.
    Last edited by JoeJ; 01-20-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling

A-Y
    mtbr member
    So even with the wider foot print the tire still rolls fast? How about climbing under soft conditions? Asking because I have the same bike but all stock. I love how nimble the bike is. My only nitpik is under certain conditions when the snow is soft, the Hodags don't have enough bite and I'm running 4/5psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hmmm...not 100% sure because it hasn't snowed enough since I put them on. You can definitely feel the larger tire getting it rolling, but when it's moving it rolls great. I can tell you the tire hooks up great in slippery mud, but I have a set of 26" with 45nrth Dillinger 5 (studded) tires and they work best for snow/icy conditions weather its soft or hard pack but they come with a cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I found a shop with an EX 8 available in a couple sizes. What sizes did people go with and how tall are you?

Anyone willing to share what they paid for their ex8? Do the shops have some wiggle room?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When will it start coming with a Manitou?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am 6'2"---although I size like I am 6'3" for a bike--meaning XL (21.5) and I would have loved if it came in a 22". Moved over from an XL Borealis Yampa--that being said, it does fit me well. I purchased in November, and the local Trek dealer had to order it in, so list minus a $100 off coupon I had from the Trek Demo day. My wife is 5'7" and needed sized 17.5, and that fits her well. EX 8's.

Been enjoying them all winter, and plan on using them all summer too. I did build up new wheel sets with Hope Pro 4 hubs and light bikes carbon 75mm rims--set up tubeless, and the weight difference was 3 pounds. Three pounds will not make or break
    anything for me riding, but I need to make sure bike and bag are under 50 pounds when we travel--we have taken to bringing our bikes with us when we vacation.

Only down side--no studded tires available that fit it in 27.5 size, but I figure by next winter that will change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Cool, thanks for your input. glad to hear it is still fun after the winter of riding.
    You take your bike on airplanes? How do you pack the bike for that?

Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    I am 6'2"---although I size like I am 6'3" for a bike--meaning XL (21.5) and I would have loved if it came in a 22". Moved over from an XL Borealis Yampa--that being said, it does fit me well. I purchased in November, and the local Trek dealer had to order it in, so list minus a $100 off coupon I had from the Trek Demo day. My wife is 5'7" and needed sized 17.5, and that fits her well. EX 8's.

Been enjoying them all winter, and plan on using them all summer too. I did build up new wheel sets with Hope Pro 4 hubs and light bikes carbon 75mm rims--set up tubeless, and the weight difference was 3 pounds. Three pounds will not make or break
    anything for me riding, but I need to make sure bike and bag are under 50 pounds when we travel--we have taken to bringing our bikes with us when we vacation.

Only down side--no studded tires available that fit it in 27.5 size, but I figure by next winter that will change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We have Dakine bags--first time we flew with bikes I packed my niner jet 9--these are huge bags, and it means we rent a minivan to haul it around (swallows assembled bikes well). I am in Alaska, and Alaska Airlines is great about not charging us the fee for oversized bags--so long as they are not over 50 pounds, but worst case scenario it would cost us $75/bag each way. BTW--still winter riding--about 3 feet of snow still on the ground. Next trip is to Phoenix Arizona in May--ride trails in the morning, visit family in the afternoon. I was initially concerned about going from my Bud/Lou to a 3.8 inch tire, but that has not been an issue. I thought about building up 50mm wheelset for summer use, but decided to keep it fat (75mm)--yes, 50mm rims with a 3 inch tire would have shed some more weight, but at that point I might as well just take out the Niner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Those must be some massive bags.
    I wish there was some snow around here. All the trails are closed waiting for the spring thaw and everything to dry out.

We have Dakine bags--first time we flew with bikes I packed my niner jet 9--these are huge bags, and it means we rent a minivan to haul it around (swallows assembled bikes well). I am in Alaska, and Alaska Airlines is great about not charging us the fee for oversized bags--so long as they are not over 50 pounds, but worst case scenario it would cost us $75/bag each way. BTW--still winter riding--about 3 feet of snow still on the ground. Next trip is to Phoenix Arizona in May--ride trails in the morning, visit family in the afternoon. I was initially concerned about going from my Bud/Lou to a 3.8 inch tire, but that has not been an issue. I thought about building up 50mm wheelset for summer use, but decided to keep it fat (75mm)--yes, 50mm rims with a 3 inch tire would have shed some more weight, but at that point I might as well just take out the Niner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Are all the EX owners out riding or something? :P

mtbr member
    Hey Joel,

Saw your posts and was wondering if you had some info to share about the total bike weights with the various wheel combos you have. I am looking to consolidate to something like your set up. Just wanted to get some additional info if you had it.

Thanks in advanced!

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    Hey Joel,

Saw your posts and was wondering if you had some info to share about the total bike weights with the various wheel combos you have. I am looking to consolidate to something like your set up. Just wanted to get some additional info if you had it.

Thanks in advanced!

Chris
    The only significant difference is in the tire weight. I have three wheelsets: 26 x 4.8 Minions, 27.5 x 3.8 Minions, and 29 x 3 Minions.

The heaviest tires are the 4.8's.and the lightest tires are 3", pretty much what you'd expect. Rims will vary a little in weight due to width, but it's not that much compared to tire weight.

If you're worried about weight, this is not the bike for you.

As a fat bike, a full suspension fatty is going to be significantly heavier than a comparable fatty hardtail. As a plus bike, a full suspension fatty is going to significantly heavier than a comparable full suspension plus bike.

You don't ride this kind of bike because it's light and fast.

Consolidation requires compromise.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Nurse Ben!

The general info is appreciated. I'm riding a Lenz Behemoth 29+ now and while not looking for a weight weenie, I'm looking at this ride to trim a few lbs AND be an all a rounder. The current ride is about 31.5lb

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    Thanks for the info Nurse Ben!

The general info is appreciated. I'm riding a Lenz Behemoth 29+ now and while not looking for a weight weenie, I'm looking at this ride to trim a few lbs AND be an all a rounder. The current ride is about 31.5lb
    You'd save a pound or two with the carbon frame, get some carbon rims, and carbon trimmings and you get lighter for sure. The biggest ride difference would be the long chainstays; it won't be as agile, harder to manual.

I rode a Mutz and did wheel swaps for a couple seasons, sold it, now on a Wozo hardtail and looking to get a Fatillac for the same reasons.

Yesterday, for the first time since last Fall, I rode 29+, I'm not sure I like it as much as I remember. I was missing the 3.8's The 27.5 x 3.8 is a really nice ride, the height and width are a good match.

As much as I like a big ride, last summer/fall I rode a 27+ 130/120 travel bike and really enjoyed it, but I ran short on travel when riding big lines and park. I'm not a dowhiller, but I like to play.

So what do you think of the Lenz suspension? Why aren't you considering a Fatillac? Will you keep the Behemoth?

I may go up on travel for my 27+ suspension, get a new fork for the Wozo, and call it good. It would certainly be cheaper that way
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 03-13-2017 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am at 33 lbs (with pedals, EX 8) for an XL frame, light bikes 75mm rims, Hope hubs, everything else stock. Not a lightweight bike, but then I am not lightweight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So how fat of a 29" fits?

mtbr member
    Any heavyweights riding the EX8?
    I'm 245 lbs and have 265 psi in the shock and I am at 18mm of sag. Hodag tires 10psi front 12psi rear. (Indoor reading, 18 deg F outside, did not check reading outdoors)

Have not had a chance to get out on the trail yet since I just picked it up. Just riding around the driveway dropping off the sidewalk I am seeing a significant amount of travel, just wondering if I will have a problem out on the trail. (Bottoming out)

I don't do any jumping or drops just trail riding, roots and rock gardens.
    I will probably be putting in a volume reduction spacer.

Thanks

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    I will probably be putting in a volume reduction spacer.

Good idea. One spacer rarely does much good. I'd fill it at least halfway up. Which rear shock? If it's a Monarch you can actually put volume spacers into the negative chamber too, which will allow you to run lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Which rear shock?
    Fox Float evol re aktiv.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have the 9.8. I am 6'4" and weigh 250. I have not had any issue with the shock bottoming out. I run the shock in the middle and it seems to sit high enough for pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Telebikes View Post
    I have the 9.8. I am 6'4" and weigh 250. I have not had any issue with the shock bottoming out. I run the shock in the middle and it seems to sit high enough for pedaling.
    Thanks, what pressure are you running in the shock?

A-Y
    mtbr member
    Mountain Bike Action published a review of the EX 9.8. A few quotes: "...The result is a bike that is truly fun to ride and much more capable than it appears.", "...a dream bike covered head to toe in carbon goodies...", "...it seems this fat-tire machine was built to hang with the trailbike crowd...". That last comment sums it up for me. When I bought this bike I was not expecting it to be as agile and to have trail bike manners. I already have a trail bike for summer riding, so it will be very interesting to see which bike I'll be riding when the summer arrives.

The other interesting thing I discovered was you can adjust the geometry via the mino link!
    Last edited by A-Y; 03-18-2017 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

The other interesting thing I discovered was you can adjust the geometry via the mino link!
    Are you sure? Every one I have seen does not have Mino Link. Although 1 had Mino stickers on the linkage.

A-Y
    mtbr member
    From the article. My bike doesn't have the labels but the linkage is identical:

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-screen-shot-2017-03-18-1.04.59-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well, I'll be picking up my ex8 in a couple weeks after a quick trip.
    They are going to set it up tubeless so that should be nice.

They are offering a set of 29" wheels with some sort of dtswiss hub surly rabbit hole 29 rims and knard tires for like $500 or so. Is it worth getting the second set of wheels and tires? I rode my fat tires all last summer so part of me thinks just going to the fearless 27.5 will feel quicker.

Are you guys running 29" feeling its a big enough improvement to have a second set of wheels?

mtbr member
    I really like my ex8 with 29+ wheels. It really all depends on what you are riding but they do seems make a difference at times. That seems like a good price are they including a set of chupacabras?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It sounds like I could make some decisions on what parts I wanted but at the price they came up with it included the Surly Knards if I am remembering correctly.

So I'm pretty sure if I wanted to spec it with a wheel/tire combo that allowed tubeless they would be happy to build it up but I'm not sure how much more it would cost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    From the article. My bike doesn't have the labels but the linkage is identical:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 1.04.59 PM.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1127278
    There is no Mino in that photo.....nor does Trek claim to have it on the Farley EX.
    So....you are going to have a really hard time adjusting it.
    And....there is the label that was put on some early releases....even though there is no Mino

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    There is no Mino in that photo.....nor does Trek claim to have it on the Farley EX.
    And....there is the label that was put on some early releases....even though there is no Mino
    This.

mtbr member
    I picked this one up last week and assumed it had an adjustable head tube angle.
    I knew the link looked different from the one on the Fuel I was considering.
    2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-20170319_222318.jpeg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What does a real mino link look like?

A-Y
    mtbr member
    After a bit of googling, this has to be a mistake, because the mino link requires the ability to rotate the pivot bolts. Google mino link images and you'll see what I mean or look at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw_SSIiuTwU

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    After a bit of googling, this has to be a mistake, because the mino link requires the ability to rotate the pivot bolts. Google mino link images and you'll see what I mean or look at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw_SSIiuTwU
    Well...while you were Googling...and in that video, you notice those little black Mino chips that rotate ( not the bolts)?
    That's Mino.
    The Farley EX does not have Mino.

A-Y
    mtbr member
    Hence why the decals are a mistake. The chips or whatever they are called, don't exist on the Farley Ex. So no mino. I saw another Farely Ex 8 at a LBS and it too had the mino decals. Mine doesn't, so I assume the decals were removed in later builds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hence why the decals are a mistake. The chips or whatever they are called, don't exist on the Farley Ex. So no mino. I saw another Farely Ex 8 at a LBS and it too had the mino decals. Mine doesn't, so I assume the decals were removed in later builds.
    That's what I posted many posts earlier.
    Glad you are getting the clue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got out on the trail with my new EX8 today. It was pretty slow going, trying to get the GF into riding off road a bit.
    I jumped off a little rock kicker and bounded down some roots and it was quite awesome.

This is my first experience with suspension and it is fun. Can't wait till more trails open up and I can try it out where I normally ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ran into another guy on an ex8 yesterday on the trail. He said I was only the second person he has seen on one since he got his last year. I guess there aren't too many people riding the Farley Ex yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are any of you Farley EX 9.8 riders running a bash ring. I can't figure how or even if I can run one. No ISG tabs,direct mount chainring and pressed in BB. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've been looking at full suspension Plus bikes and this strikes me as not so much a fat bike as a Plus-Plus trail bike. I'm intrigued by the idea that I could go 29+, but even in the stock 27.5 x 3.8 what are the tire choices like? 29+ means I wouldn't have a dead end, but I'm wondering if 27.5x3.8 tires won't be available if this model doesn't, ahem, gain traction (had to say it!).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What kind of tire pressures do people run for summer riding?
    I'm running around 11-12 psi currently and it seems alright, but I'm curious what other run.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Did everyone abandon their EX for summer or is everyone out having too much fun to hit the forums? haha

Still looking for some tire pressure input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Waiting for the trails to dry out from winter--until then I am riding on the paved trails--not sure of the pressure, but I have them set firm. I am traveling to Arizona with the bikes in two weeks--not planning on taking a pressure gauge though so tire pressure will be a by feel setting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Waiting for trails to dry out is brutal.

Are you still running the hodags?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am--I like them so far.
    Only changes I have done so far are carbon rims/Hope pro 4 hubs.
    I have a shockwiz on hand waiting for a dry trail to help dial in suspension setup.
    I am hopeful that by next winter someone has a set of studded tires available for the bike.
    I have not sold my 29er yet--waiting to see what I think of the EX on summer trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkz View Post
    Did everyone abandon their EX for summer or is everyone out having too much fun to hit the forums? haha

Still looking for some tire pressure input.

Play with pressures as you ride, what you need depends on the tire, rider weight, the trail, etc...

If it's squirming, bump it up, if it's slipping drop it, if it's bottoming bump it up, if it's slow bump it up.

Higher pressure prevents rim shots. You got full suspension for ride quality, tires are for traction.

Play with suspension settings too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am--I like them so far.
    Only changes I have done so far are carbon rims/Hope pro 4 hubs.
    I have a shockwiz on hand waiting for a dry trail to help dial in suspension setup.
    I am hopeful that by next winter someone has a set of studded tires available for the bike.
    I have not sold my 29er yet--waiting to see what I think of the EX on summer trails.
    Those shockwiz seem pretty cool. I've like the hodags so far as well. I dont really have anyway to quantify or justify that though haha. Need more experience and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Play with pressures as you ride, what you need depends on the tire, rider weight, the trail, etc...

If it's squirming, bump it up, if it's slipping drop it, if it's bottoming bump it up, if it's slow bump it up.

Higher pressure prevents rim shots. You got full suspension for ride quality, tires are for traction.

Play with suspension settings too.

I suppose that makes sense. I could probably find a smaller loop in the trail and use it to test. I don't know if I can really tell smaller changes in pressure though. Also I have no idea on suspension tuning yet as well haha. Maybe I should have stuck to my ridged longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just picked up a set of 29" wheels (Easton ARC 40) for my Farley EX today and mounted a set of 29x3 Chupacabras. I really enjoyed the bike in this configuration. It felt lighter than with the Hodags, was easier to pop off of small trail features, ate up roots and rocks, and generally was just a lot of fun. That being said, I didn't like the Chupacabras that well on the wet roots we had today - they slipped around quite a bit. I think they will be great, fast rolling tires in drier conditions, though. If it is wet and muddy, I might just leave the wheels with the Hodags on.

I bought this bike to ride primarily in the winter, but have been having so much fun on it that I've been reluctant to put it away and switch to my "summer bike".

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by teelow View Post
    I just picked up a set of 29" wheels (Easton ARC 40) for my Farley EX today and mounted a set of 29x3 Chupacabras. I really enjoyed the bike in this configuration. It felt lighter than with the Hodags, was easier to pop off of small trail features, ate up roots and rocks, and generally was just a lot of fun. That being said, I didn't like the Chupacabras that well on the wet roots we had today - they slipped around quite a bit. I think they will be great, fast rolling tires in drier conditions, though. If it is wet and muddy, I might just leave the wheels with the Hodags on.

I bought this bike to ride primarily in the winter, but have been having so much fun on it that I've been reluctant to put it away and switch to my "summer bike".
    I have the Hodags on my Farley and the Chupacabras on the Stache and I'd agree with your assessment of the tyres, the Stache is a massive amount of fun in the dry as it can just rocket along everything with silly amounts of grip. However if the trails are damp it's the fat bike I take as it handles the mud and slippery surfaces with ease.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been out twice only due to wet weather but I bought mine for the summer more than winter. I've been at 8 and also 11 so I'm still playing. Conditions were very different those two rides. Both are on a fast and pretty flat singletrack place.

I like the purple pedals.
    2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-0501171328.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Has anyone tried both the EX and the MUTZ and able to provide an honest comparison?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wovk View Post
    Has anyone tried both the EX and the MUTZ and able to provide an honest comparison?
    The Mutz has more travel (140 vs 120), but the Trek suspension design is more refined. Both frames have long chainstays. Trek is 197mm rear, Mutz is 177mm rear. Mutz gets the nod for geo. Trek gets the nod for suspension and tire capacity.

I'd get a Lenz Fatillac.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Man that Lenz is sick. But hows that fork work? Does it have steering stops built into the frame like a motorcycle?

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NHayden View Post
    Man that Lenz is sick. But hows that fork work? Does it have steering stops built into the frame like a motorcycle?

Hayden.
    The stock picture is Mikesee's first Fatillac set up with DH double crown fork. He now rides a Fox Float 27+ and a Mastodon. I'll be using a 150mm travel Mastodon.

About to pull the trigger, just need to pick a color...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ive been watching the Mastodon thread with great interest. I want one before we head to Moab in March.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ive been watching the Mastodon thread with great interest. I want one before we head to Moab in March.

Hayden.
    Get one, it's a great fork.

I waited to get a Fatillac until there was a decent fat bike fork, now I have a Mastodon and it's order time

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I bought my Farley EX 9.8 in November. It has been making some noise for the past few weeks, I thought it was the bottom bracket but I took it to the shop today and found out that the frame is broken behind by the main linkage on the back of the seat tube on the front triangle. Its a bummer. They are going to warranty it, but not sure how long that will take. Trek is sold out of the XL. I wonder what replacement I will see. Hopefully they keep the same red/black colorway so I don't end up with an ugly franken bike.
    Last edited by Telebikes; 06-22-2017 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Is'nt there a Lifetime on the frame? Or was it a year, cant remember. Interesting place for it to fail.

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is'nt there a Lifetime on the frame? Or was it a year, cant remember. Interesting place for it to fail.

Hayden.
    It's lifetime. But if the factory is out of frames.....or there's a color change....

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Anyone with the EX 8 have any problems with their brakes? I've run into the issue that the Guide brakes have had. My LBS is working on it but I'm not sure what they will be doing. Curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cere8 View Post
    Anyone with the EX 8 have any problems with their brakes? I've run into the issue that the Guide brakes have had. My LBS is working on it but I'm not sure what they will be doing. Curious if anyone has had a similar experience.
    Did your Guides lock up?
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The EX 8 comes with Level T brakes. There is some warranty stuff for Guides and Level but most of what I've found pertains to Guides. Mine have been acting up lately and this weekend it was 90+ degrees and they were unrideable. I brought it to my shop but I haven't heard back yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    SRAM has only been making disc brakes for 20 years.
    Give them time....they will eventually get it right.

The Guides and Levels share the "lock up in heat" issue.
    SRAM will warranty it if the shop takes the initiative to call them.

If you are getting a soft lever....pull the wheel and pump the brakes until the pads come together, then spread them....do this a few times.
    It recenters the pistons and you get better lever pull.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Do you use a brake block when doing this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    and don't leave your bike sitting in the heat, esp inside a hot vehicle.

I warranteed two sets back to back, pick up two sets of Shimano XT 8000, great brakes, not gonna buy SRAM ever again. I have one set of "fixed" guides sitting on the shelf, the other set is on a spare bike.

To be quite honest, the only fix for SRAM brakes is to get a different brand of brakes.

The bigger question is why are the major mfgs still selling bikes with SRAM brakes?

SRAM has only been making disc brakes for 20 years.
    Give them time....they will eventually get it right.

The Guides and Levels share the "lock up in heat" issue.
    SRAM will warranty it if the shop takes the initiative to call them.

If you are getting a soft lever....pull the wheel and pump the brakes until the pads come together, then spread them....do this a few times.
    It recenters the pistons and you get better lever pull.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The bigger question is why are the major mfgs still selling bikes with SRAM brakes?
    This might be a thread derail, but I've been thinking about this a fair bit. I think it boils down to: there is no real way for the market to punish bad OEM components. Nobody is going to hold back a purchase of a $6K+ bike that is otherwise perfect for them just to protest a crappy brake spec. Brakes are an easy and usually inexpensive upgrade. With external routing, it's easier than replacing tires, even.

I don't know how to get the message through to product managers.

mtbr member
    The EX 8 comes with Level T brakes. There is some warranty stuff for Guides and Level but most of what I've found pertains to Guides. Mine have been acting up lately and this weekend it was 90+ degrees and they were unrideable. I brought it to my shop but I haven't heard back yet.
    The brakes on my Farley EX8 are Level TLs. I work them hard, havent had a problem, although this is Minnesota and 90+ heat is not common.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes, my new bike has this issue. Weather got up to 90 in MN and brakes froze on the first ride. Shop got it warrantied, but still frustrating.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Barbegazi 4.5 on EX

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Here is the bike with the three different wheels...love them all depending on the ride. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4708.jpg 
Views:	945 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	1116491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4608.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	1116490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4441.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	1116489
    What's the clearance like on the rear of the EX with the barbegazi 4.5's and 80mm rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Recently purchased an EX 9.8 & love the bike, however I broke the rear Carbon Wamapa rim on the 2nd ride running 12psi on a not very rocky trail & didn't feel it 'rim' out.

Any other experienced any rim failures?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Wampa Broken rim

Quote Originally Posted by peakprowler View Post
    Recently purchased an EX 9.8 & love the bike, however I broke the rear Carbon Wamapa rim on the 2nd ride running 12psi on a not very rocky trail & didn't feel it 'rim' out.

Any other experienced any rim failures?
    Hi, I've got a Farley EX8, took it out when I first got it, down Rowarth Descent and pinch flatted the rear on a rock, tearing the sizewall on the Hodags, I have done this route a hundred times on the 26 x 4.7 Barbegazis with no issues. My take on this, looking at the 3.8's on an 80mm rim, they are almost flush with the side of the rim and provide no protection to the rim or sidewalls, I think this is probably why you got a rim strike so quickly, my solution is to run the 27.5 x 4.5 Barbegazis, these give far more protection to the rim. In my opinion Trek dropped a clanger specifying the EX with 80mm rims and 3.8s, should have been 50 or 65mm at the most, whether it be the Mulefuts or especially the Wampas. I have a set of Wampas that I run on my F5 with the 4.5's and they just look right, a far better fit with the wider tyre.....only time will tell, given I picked up the Wampas for under 500 complete with a set of Hodags, all brand new. effectively the wheels cost me less than 300 so if they go they go, I'll not lose sleep like I would if they were a 1400 set!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daver38 View Post
    .... my solution is to run the 27.5 x 4.5 Barbegazis, these give far more protection to the rim...
    I have yet to get a firm handle on whether or not the Farley EX8 with Bluto fork will fit 4.5 Barbegazis. Some posts around the internet say yes, some say no. I talked to Trek, and they, rather unhelpfully, said in their email:

The max tire size recommended for the Farley EX 8 is a 27.5 x 3.8". From what the MTB dept tells me, a 4.5" would almost certainly contact the frame. They also do not recommend using 26" wheels with that bike as it was not designed or tested for that wheelsize. Since 26" is not a tested wheelsize I will unfortunately not have a listed Max 26" tire size.
    Id like to run 4.5s, but the 3.8s dont work too bad in the snow. If it was just a matter of buying the Barbis, Id do it. But the 3.8s work well enough that it probably wouldnt be worth it to me to drop the dollars (pounds) on a whole new wheel set.

Can you confirm that, in your experience, the 27.5 Barbegazis on the Mulefut 80 rims will provide adequate tire (tyre) clearance front and rear on the EX8?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

farley ex

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    I have yet to get a firm handle on whether or not the Farley EX8 with Bluto fork will fit 4.5 Barbegazis. Some posts around the internet say yes, some say no. I talked to Trek, and they, rather unhelpfully, said in their email:

I�d like to run 4.5�s, but the 3.8�s don�t work too bad in the snow. If it was just a matter of buying the Barbis, I�d do it. But the 3.8�s work well enough that it probably wouldn�t be worth it to me to drop the dollars (pounds) on a whole new wheel set.

Can you confirm that, in your experience, the 27.5 Barbegazis on the Mulefut 80 rims will provide adequate tire (tyre) clearance front and rear on the EX8?
    I've only just put the 4.5's on my Wampa rims on the f5, not had chance to try them on the EX8 yet, I have seen a youtube video by Ryan Schlagheck, he has an EX9.8 and runs 4.5's on it....they don't really fit the Bluto, he's got probably 2mm clearance between the fork bridge and the O/d of the tyre at less than 7psi, any mud or stones thrown up will get stuck in there, could be easily solved by fitting a Mastodon or Wren fork.
    With regard to the rear fit, he initially got a bit of frame rub but had the wheel re-dished to the non drive side by a couple of mm and found it to run fine without contact, I'm going to try them as soon as possible, if they don't fit satisfactorily I'll build some Arc 45 rims onto hope hubs and run them with the 3.8's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daver38 View Post
    I've only just put the 4.5's on my Wampa rims on the f5, not had chance to try them on the EX8 yet, I have seen a youtube video by Ryan Schlagheck, he has an EX9.8 and runs 4.5's on it....they don't really fit the Bluto, he's got probably 2mm clearance between the fork bridge and the O/d of the tyre at less than 7psi, any mud or stones thrown up will get stuck in there, could be easily solved by fitting a Mastodon or Wren fork.
    With regard to the rear fit, he initially got a bit of frame rub but had the wheel re-dished to the non drive side by a couple of mm and found it to run fine without contact, I'm going to try them as soon as possible, if they don't fit satisfactorily I'll build some Arc 45 rims onto hope hubs and run them with the 3.8's.
    Thanks for the clarification. Thats helpful.

I think that if I decide that the 3.8 Hodags dont perform in the snow, Id be inclined to go 4.7 Barbegazis on a 26 inch wheel set and decrease the level of mystery.

trailbuilder
    May 2007
    Wahoo! - Just got the word on availability of 27.5 x 3.8 Gnarwhals:

See https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/13271/ in the FAQs section:

Q
    Will Bontrager produce a 27.5 x 3.8 Gnarwhal? (I own a 2018 Farley EX 9.8, and would like to have some option for a studded rear tire.)
    Verified Reply - Chris at Trek
    Yes, we will have a Bontrager Gnarwhal in a 27.5x3.80" size, we are expecting them to be available for purchase through TrekBikes.com the week of 1/08/2018.
    - Paul

2018 Farley EX 9.8
    2005 Klein Palomino (resurrecting)
    2003 Cove G-Spot (R.I.P. 2017)
    1985 Stumpjumper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123