Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogersAK View Post
    The problem I see with these new FS bikes is that they will not take the 27.5 x 4.5 tires that just came out. I ran the 27.5 x 3.8's last winter, and even studded, I wished that I had a bit more width. The 27.5 x 4.5 is wider, but they still need to go wider, and with the FS EX frame, this would not be an option for winter riding.
    You really don't want or need 5" fat tires on a full suspension fatty, these are not snow/sand bikes. I wonder what Trek was thinking when they spec'd this bike with a 197mm rear. Clearly they were thinking hardtail, too bad as it would have been nice to have another all mountain FS fatty.

What we really need to see is a narrowing of the BB to something like 83mm, which would still clear a 4" tire and would significantly narrow the Q. Fat bikes suffer from serious pedal strike issues.

Of course we also need a decent fork that is 3-4" tire specific, but that's an entirely different can o worms.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat old man View Post
    Paid for the new EX-8, now I wait. I hate waiting. Put my Farley 6 up for sale with the "I don`t want to sell it" price. Of course some guy paid it. Now I sit with out a fat bike. Booo.
    Which one did you get?

Did you consider the Bucksaw or the Mutz? It's a big gamble to buy a bike without a test ride.

Just looking at geometry for the Farley FS: 17.5" chainstay/68.8 deg HTA, you could get a Bucksaw and be just as happy, maybe happier with a slacker HTA.

About the only thing the Farley FS has going for it is 120mm travel. The hub spacing is too wide, the chainstays are too long, and of course it's Trek

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    What we really need to see is a narrowing of the BB to something like 83mm, which would still clear a 4" tire and would significantly narrow the Q. Fat bikes suffer from serious pedal strike issues.
    For every person that agrees with you (and I don't necessarily disagree) there are three others saying 'but what about crank options? there are so few in 83mm...".

Not as clear cut as we'd like it to be.

< edit > I just went and searched QBP for 83mm options. Heaps of BB's -- no surprise, as any 73mm or 100mm BSA BB can be made to work. But for cranks, there are few options: Shimano, Hope, Race Face, and E-Thirteen are it. And of those, not one offers anything longer than 170mm.

That's honestly more than I expected. And even though I'm OK with 170 or 165mm lengths, the lack of a 175mm option just alienated yet more of those who were uncertain about 83mm in the first place.

Aaaaaand, of the options listed above, more than 1/3rd are for 104mm BCD rings only, meaning 32t or maaaaaybe 30t if you're lucky. The others look to have direct mount options, but I'm not well versed on what "standard" they use.

Add it all up and 83mm is a dead end IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Which one did you get?

Did you consider the Bucksaw or the Mutz? It's a big gamble to buy a bike without a test ride.

Just looking at geometry for the Farley FS: 17.5" chainstay/68.8 deg HTA, you could get a Bucksaw and be just as happy, maybe happier with a slacker HTA.

About the only thing the Farley FS has going for it is 120mm travel. The hub spacing is too wide, the chainstays are too long, and of course it's Trek
    Most of my riding is in the woods, I prefered the tighter steering. After riding a Bucksaw it felt like a chopper. And the fact that I really liked my Farly 6 made me hope this would have a simular ride. But with the cush of suspension. My dealer has already pre sold all of there first bikes, I didn't want to wait any longer.

mtbr member
    if its of help and slightly off topic: raceface sixc are available 175mm/83 as a special order. (they are also easily available 175mmx73mm and the spindles are available aftermarket) i have a set - pricey, to be fair, but a nice set up! the sixc spindle has a longer fluted section than the other race face cranks, but a friend has modded it to use the next sl (and hence less expensive race face cranks)...but modding is mikesee's valid point! not easily available !

i have a next sl on a 170 width spindle and cant say i feel much difference Q wise.

in europe there are some other options for 83mm including BOR, which are a similar design to the hollowgram/race face style -pretty versatile - but again, pricey and not easily available to youse guys over the pond...

Of course we also need a decent fork that is 3-4" tire specific, but that's an entirely different can o worms.
    I've been riding the Fox for the past ~month with a 27.5 x 3.6" Hodag. Would fit a 3.8 for sure if there was one in 27.5, and does fit a 26 x 4". 140mm travel now, soon to be stretched to 150. Supple on small, good midstroke support, and with all tokens installed it has a great ramp to bottom. I haven't ridden a Pike recently enough to say for sure, but my gut feeling is that this Fox doesn't give up much to Pike, if anything. It's that good. And I typically detest Fox stuff, so for me to write the above, it really has to be good with zero glaring flaws.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

NBD: Trek Farley ex8 They are here!

Its finally here, ever since I saw the preview of them I knew I could not wait to order one because usually all the XL's of other fs fat bikes sell out fast! I haven't hit any single track yet but I will have a video and some sort of review once I have had a chance to ride about 100miles on some single track and back to back ride's, stay tuned.

mtbr member
    The black X color scheme is sweet, and stealth. (at least for me)
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Looking forward to your review as this bike is on my Radar.

Quote Originally Posted by hise442 View Post
    Its finally here, ever since I saw the preview of them I knew I could not wait to order one because usually all the XL's of other fs fat bikes sell out fast! I haven't hit any single track yet but I will have a video and some sort of review once I have had a chance to ride about 100miles on some single track and back to back ride's, stay tuned.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Here is a quick video going over the bike last time it will be this clean!
    https://youtu.be/33cSeo5Zy-E

mtbr member
    Very interested to hear more about this bike.
    I agree that it doesn't appear to be "the best machine for snow"
    However, I view this thing as a rock garden destroyer.
    I think I would like to ride it with the Fox fork and narrower rims closer to 50mm

Speaking of snow... Trek's other 22 pounder with the 27.5 x 4.5 tires
    Now that's a snow beast!
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not that I have any time to race let alone ride these days, but most fat-bike classes require a minimum of a 3.8 or 4.0 tire width to somewhat level the playing field. I can tell you for sure that Hodag B+ 3.8 tires are nowhere near 3.8". Mine measure 3.4" at best. I doubt racing was the focus for this bike, but it is possible that somebody would race it, and on hard chunky rough conditions it might be a good choice.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RFBca View Post
    Bottom line, the best FSFB, feature-wise, is the LaMere Dopamine.
    Well, then. It's no surprise that you sell LaMere.

I also find it intriguing that you have a relatively scathing description of the Wren fork on your website, a fork which many forum users here are extremely happy with. It makes me take anything you say with a lot of grains of salt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Not that I have any time to race let alone ride these days, but most fat-bike classes require a minimum of a 3.8 or 4.0 tire width to somewhat level the playing field. I can tell you for sure that Hodag B+ 3.8 tires are nowhere near 3.8". Mine measure 3.4" at best. I doubt racing was the focus for this bike, but it is possible that somebody would race it, and on hard chunky rough conditions it might be a good choice.
    Since the tires are marked 3.8", they will qualify for most events. I've seen several theories that Trek intentionally undersized the tire so its riders would have a faster rolling tire than those riding actual 3.8-4" tires.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:41 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    Yes, we do carry LaMere. For good reason. They make the best FSFB for trail conditions here, which is southern Ontario Canada.

We quoted other brands, and which environments they would excel at, like the Foes Mutz would be good for more aggressive AM and some DH-style riding out west, where there are actual mountains.

Same with Wren forks. They weigh 5-6 lbs. When we are making the lightest custom Carbon Fat bikes, mostly for XC to AM riding, it makes little sense to add a Wren to a fat bike here, when other choices are lighter and perform just as well.

Wren forks are designed for an environment that very few riders/racers will find in southern Ontario, as compared to other locations that have trails which could use the full potential of the shock.

That said, why add an extra 2-4 lbs of weight to your carbon fat bike and seldom get full use out of THAT particular front shock?

You won't win many of the Fat bike class race series here, if for instance, racing on a Foes Mutz and a Wren fork. You will be at or over 30-34 lbs, and about 4-6 lbs (or more) heavier than the other Fat bikes in the same class.
    You really don't understand what FS fatbikes are good at, do you? Because you seem to subscribe to the notion that everybody races high end fatbikes in the snow. And Lauf as an all mountain fork? I didn't think Ontario was so out of touch. Lauf is nothing but pure lightweight xc.

The Wren exists because people can and do exceed the limits of the Bluto. And sometimes even in purely xc situations. The Wren fills a need for a more aggressive fork and the extra weight absolutely is worth it for the stiffer chassis and longer travel.

You are selling your customers short by being too focused on snow racing. There is other riding out there and the people doing it WANT to be better served.

Your harsh statements about the more robust Wren fork do nobody any favors. It is not a race fork, no. But it very well may suit bigger riders who do race and who find the Bluto too flexy. IMO, after riding one on my Bucksaw, the Wren fork is much more balanced for a FS fatbike than the Bluto is, and I do not notice the extra weight when riding.

Claiming that the LaMere is the best fs fattie out there based on the variety of options is disingenuous at best. How many of the competing bikes have you actually ridden? Do you have the practical experience with other fs fatbikes to say that those options make the LaMere actually RIDE better? Because that is where it counts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

We the people ...

Glad you like your fork.
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    You really don't understand what FS fatbikes are good at, do you? Because you seem to subscribe to the notion that everybody races high end fatbikes in the snow. And Lauf as an all mountain fork? I didn't think Ontario was so out of touch. Lauf is nothing but pure lightweight xc.

The Wren exists because people can and do exceed the limits of the Bluto. And sometimes even in purely xc situations. The Wren fills a need for a more aggressive fork and the extra weight absolutely is worth it for the stiffer chassis and longer travel.

You are selling your customers short by being too focused on snow racing. There is other riding out there and the people doing it WANT to be better served.

Your harsh statements about the more robust Wren fork do nobody any favors. It is not a race fork, no. But it very well may suit bigger riders who do race and who find the Bluto too flexy. IMO, after riding one on my Bucksaw, the Wren fork is much more balanced for a FS fatbike than the Bluto is, and I do not notice the extra weight when riding.

Claiming that the LaMere is the best fs fattie out there based on the variety of options is disingenuous at best. How many of the competing bikes have you actually ridden? Do you have the practical experience with other fs fatbikes to say that those options make the LaMere actually RIDE better? Because that is where it counts.
    Sounds like RFBca has a very myopic view of the MTB world that is focused solely on Southern Ontario. What works there would not work in many parts of the US but different needs for different people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    cool
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ...On the front page of our web site, it states our target customer base and audience :

"Located in Burlington Ontario Canada, rideFATbikes.ca is passionate about Fat biking and promotes the sport, above all else. We partner with regional cycling clubs, trail building associations, and city governments, to promote the Fat bike trail systems accessible within our local conservation areas and provincial parks.

We ride all 4 seasons, and only sell the products we test and race ourselves, specifically for the riding conditions found in southern Ontario, Canada."
    I don't know why you are so touchy about the statement, ride what works for your area and don't worry about what people say works in theirs.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    Sounds like RFBca has a very myopic view of the MTB world that is focused solely on Southern Ontario. What works there would not work in many parts of the US but different needs for different people.
    not just southern Ontario. But specifically racing fatbikes in Southern Ontario. EXTREMELY limited position. Everything he seems to say assumes that people only ever want to race fatbikes. I haven't signed up for a race since 2003, and I'm doing ONE in November. My goal has never been to be competitive for a podium position when I have signed up for a race, so I don't give a rat's behind whether my bike is a pound heavier for installing a fork that's more fun in rocky chunder and downhills.

I encountered his website months ago in my Wren research, saw his myopic drivel and discounted it as BS. But now I see him appear here, and I feel it's worthwhile to point out that myopic view. Especially since a discussion about the Farley EX is about as far removed from racing fatbikes in southern Ontario as can really be, and since he decided to interject some opinions about how the LaMere is the best FS fatbike (at least on paper, and only really considering that it has more possible build options, with no real statements regarding how the bike actually rides).

I further support my statements by pointing out that FS fatbikes really aren't race bikes, and I've never seen a manufacturer market them as such. IMO, you have to make too many compromises in functionality to get them very far below 30lbs. They are better suited as adventure bikes and bikes for more aggressive riding styles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 08:47 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    Harold - How does the trek EX ride? Did you ride the aluminum or carbon version? Have you tried it with a Wren 110 or 150? What types of trails were you on? Did you have to do any climbing, or use the chairlift? Which tires and rims did you use? Tire PSI both front and rear?

How does the Wren 110 or 150 on the Trek EX compare to the standard Bluto RL it ships with?

How heavy of a rider are you? Which size EX frame did you test on?

Which race will you be attending in November? Expecting snow in the race,or not?

Please describe your view of which of the 8 FSFBs posted is the best, and please do qualify it as to why? How many of them have you tested so far? And in which conditions and riding setups? (tires, PSI, rims, shocks, etc).

Please describe your results. We would love to hear it.
    You can see pretty much all of the answers to your questions (and more) in my post history. I really don't care what you think of me or my own experience. But I know enough to know that my way of riding isn't the only legitimate way to ride, and just because someone doesn't ride the way I do, doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean that my experience can't be useful to them, and it doesn't mean that what doesn't work for me, won't work for someone else, even under the same conditions. It also doesn't mean that what does work for me, won't necessarily work for anyone else.

I see a lot of people here where I live who approach mtb with the same tiny box you use. They see ALL mtb in the XC race box. They criticize platform pedals and loose-fitting clothing. They criticize long travel full suspension. They criticize hydration bladders and carrying toolkits and first aid supplies and so on and so forth. They criticize all those things because it's not what works best for them in their xc racing and training riding, refusing to acknowledge that there are a LOT MORE RIDERS who don't race (or who only do so occasionally) than who do.

since 4/10/2009
    All, and especially Harold, Interbike's outdoor event is Sept 19-20th, and since most replying on the thread are from out west, maybe you can try to make it to the event to test all the FSFB's out for yourself?
    LMAO - amusing that you're unable to see how unrealistic that is.

Hi - I can provide some info
    Info is good, especially when it is backed up with context. In this case the context needed when claiming a certain product is "the best" is "for whom?", "where?", "according to whom?", and "for what application?".

Other posters here have teased most of this info out in ensuing posts, so I won't rehash it.

I will say that showing up to a forum with no post history, immediately claiming to know what is "the best", and then sort of offhandedly admitting that yes, indeed, you do sell said product sounds fishy at best, and shilly at worst.

Not the end of the world in any event. Just know that your credibility here is more or less shot from the start.

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Just know that your credibility here is more or less shot from the start.
    This......
    and posting all this crap in the "Trek Farley" thread hasnt helped your cause, it shouldve gone in a "best FSFB" thread.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    All, it will be great to know if the EX turns out to an awesome FSFB. Not enough competition in that segment yet. Only 6 brands currently... Maxx Huradax (alloy), Salsa BS (carbon/alloy), Trek Farley EX (carbon/alloy), Foes Mutz (alloy), Dopamine (carbon), and another new chiner design (carbon).

the trek marketing engine just ran over me for posting "feature-wise" that another FSFB competes with the EX on frame design and feature levels (like 120mm front and 115mm rear travel, 177+197 RR hub compatibility, and several competitors were weighed and verified to be up to 6 lbs lighter than the EX, with wider tire capability (and almost all accept the 27.5 x 4" standard of the EX. I never mentioned anything about how they all compare in ride quality, as no one here claimed, including myself, to have tried all the FSFBs available. Only chance to do that at the same time will be at Interbike. I even got hammered for mentioning that too.

cheers!
    Last edited by RFBca; 09-11-2016 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My friend Chad on the Farley EX. It was fun knowing this multi-season video would be coming as well as being around some prototype products.

I hope I'm not harassed as too much of a Trek fan or with something to sell. Yes, I do know and socialize with Trek employees but do same with another brand and count 5 bike brands in our family fleet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Attachment 1092375

Stats taken from the Manufacturers' web sites.

Other posters in this thread already mentioned the Salsa Bucksaw and the Foes Mutz as comparisons, so I included their stats.

I forgot I ride bikes on paper stats

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    My friend Chad on the Farley EX. It was fun knowing this multi-season video would be coming as well as being around some prototype products.

I hope I'm not harassed as too much of a Trek fan or with something to sell. Yes, I do know and socialize with Trek employees but do same with another brand and count 5 bike brands in our family fleet.

This was rad, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post

Im pretty sure thats how l look on my Fattie (not a Trek)

however lm positive l dont

Nice vid, thanks

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Im pretty sure thats how l look on my Fattie (not a Trek)

however lm positive l dont

Nice vid, thanks
    Nah, we all ride like that on our bikes.

in our imaginations

Stats taken from the Manufacturers' web sites.

You completely, or perhaps conveniently, missed my point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    great video! thanks for sharing.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    not just southern Ontario. But specifically racing fatbikes in Southern Ontario. EXTREMELY limited position. Everything he seems to say assumes that people only ever want to race fatbikes. I haven't signed up for a race since 2003, and I'm doing ONE in November. My goal has never been to be competitive for a podium position when I have signed up for a race, so I don't give a rat's behind whether my bike is a pound heavier for installing a fork that's more fun in rocky chunder and downhills.

I encountered his website months ago in my Wren research, saw his myopic drivel and discounted it as BS. But now I see him appear here, and I feel it's worthwhile to point out that myopic view. Especially since a discussion about the Farley EX is about as far removed from racing fatbikes in southern Ontario as can really be, and since he decided to interject some opinions about how the LaMere is the best FS fatbike (at least on paper, and only really considering that it has more possible build options, with no real statements regarding how the bike actually rides).

I further support my statements by pointing out that FS fatbikes really aren't race bikes, and I've never seen a manufacturer market them as such. IMO, you have to make too many compromises in functionality to get them very far below 30lbs. They are better suited as adventure bikes and bikes for more aggressive riding styles.
    Interestingly, not only did he delete nearly all of his posts in this thread tonight, his website's Wren content has been revised.

I also get a chuckle over the fact they he promotes Maxxis tires without the compulsive need to refer to them as Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Co. tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Interestingly, not only did he delete nearly all of his posts in this thread tonight, his website's Wren content has been revised.

I also get a chuckle over the fact they he promotes Maxxis tires without the compulsive need to refer to them as Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Co. tires.
    I deleted my posts because i realized its not worth the effort. Too many people log in and find amusement in nit-picking and taking cheap shots at others....putting them down....arguing... giving them bad rep... They ENJOY acting like this and treating others in that manner,and keep attempting to turn forums into soap operas. Plus they keep picking all sorts of random crap to complain about and can't stay on topic.

great video post though!

take care.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Update, ride report and video of the 2017 Trek Farley ex8!!!

OK everyone sorry for taking so long for an update! I have a newborn and the construction world has picked up quite bit but anyway, The bike is one word -- AWESOME!

After riding it since mid July and putting over 500 miles of trail and back road riding I really feel that I have gotten to know the bike well. First things first, after my initial few rides there were a few things I needed to address right away, one being upgrading the stock 28 tooth chainring to a 32 I immediately was completely maxed out on the trail and never got into the 3 lowest gears. With the 32 I feel that it is a good combination of top end speed without sacrificing any climbing ability although I do use the lowest gear now.

The only other thing that needed change right away was adding way more air to the shock and fork the recommended pressure is 265 in the shock and 135 in the fork. sure that felt great for small bumps but was way to soft and bottomed out on every drop and when flying through roots and rocks! With gear I'm 225 and I found that right around 290psi in the shock and 150 in the bluto worked great. I'm right at 25% sag and still have good small bump compliance but feel way more stable at high speed. The bike feels super dialed in and for me the fit and feel is one of the best if not THE best fit on a bike I have ever rode.

Now I'm 6'2" 225 with gear and a 34in inseam on an XL with the seat level and maxed out to the rear with the bars not cut at stock length, I really feel it's a perfect fit and the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and with the 2017 trek fuel ex a close second (my brothers bike) I still feel that I made the right choice. One of the reasons is options; you can run 27.5 fat, 27.5+, 29+, 26fat and even if you wanted to lace some custom 29 you can do that also.

Speaking of 27.5 fat I do notice a difference really only in acceleration and in the air other than that it's still a 3.8 tire on an 80mm rim but the sidewall has slightly less rubber. Everything on the bike has worked flawlesley and the only thing I really wished the bike had was a beefier fork. There really is not an option but hopefully we see something like a fox 34 in fat or maybe 35mm based of the pike. You can really haul so much on this bike that you are constantly pushing the limits of the bluto.

The function of the RE:aktiv shock is awesome and really is impressive compared to something like the brain from specialized -- that is a whole other conversation -- but unlike the brain where there is that delay you can't tell when the damper is locked then open on the RE:aktiv stuff.

Soon I will have a more detailed review and a video review but in the mean time I'll keep shredding on it and keep everyone posted! so far so good. Like I said I couldn't be happier with the bike. Here is a quick video shredding on it while filming the review while playing hookie on a 90deg day. I hope you enjoy and can't wait to hear what others think of this beast!

since 4/10/2009
    FWIW, there IS an alternative to the Bluto for more rowdy/aggressive riding. The Wren fits that bill perfectly. 36mm stanchions. Between two models of the fork, you can have travel anywhere from 80-150mm in roughly 10mm increments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The 27.5 Hodag fits fine in the Fox 34.....you would need to go with a 110 hub though.
    Great to hear you like the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks Harold for showing me the Wren option, those look like awesome forks and if anything happens to my bluto those will be a worthy upgrade!

And Mr Mayor that might be interesting to see what a 27.5X3.8 looks like in a fox 34, I don't have an extra boost hub but might see how it looks for fun on a 50mm rim when my brother gets a 27.5+ wheel set for his fuel ex!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by hise442 View Post

Poto?? Lookin good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm guessing this was filmed in the UP? Jealous. I just bought a 27.5+ Fuel, if it weren't for getting such a great deal, this would be my bike.

**edit: For clarity, I was referring to the Trek produced video earlier on the page.
    Last edited by Pack66; 09-17-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So far, the reports are good, the K-Lev post was sluggish, 29+ tires fit. Do all the Stem's say Knock Block on them? I think this one also has a misprint on the frame with the Mino link decals. Maybe a Dent in the lower part of the seat tube?

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-14359868_10157371891770401_190129826_o.jpg

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-14424136_10157371891700401_1969391388_o.jpg

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-14423781_10157371891685401_282880614_o.jpg

mtbr member
    This looks AWESOME ^^^
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    So far, the reports are good, the K-Lev post was sluggish, 29+ tires fit. Do all the Stem's say Knock Block on them? I think this one also has a misprint on the frame with the Mino link decals. Maybe a Dent in the lower part of the seat tube?
    The ding in the seat tube is normal....on the other 2 I've seen and you can see it on the Trek Website
    Got the hots for a 29+ set up like this...including the fork

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in doing this possibly with the new Pike 29+ fork, possibly even Olaf Lefty
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Is it wrong for me to consider doing a 27.5+
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Not wrong. The 27.5 x 3.8 tires that come stock on this thing can be run on 40mm-80mm wide rims, these tires are actually measuring 3.2-3.5 inches wide on the narrower rims.
    Totally doable!!!
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    Is it wrong for me to consider doing a 27.5+
    It pretty much is already.
    Those tires run narrow. Put them on narrower rims like 65mm and you'd have a sub 3.5" tire.
    If you were to run standard B+ tires....you may have a really low bb

I run the 26" version Hodags on 65mm rims and they are about 3.5 after a year of riding.

mtbr member

Subtle, very subtle, sometimes you have to smooth with your approach

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-collage.door.jpg
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    I think your getting a new Farley

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collage.door.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	1095394
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    I'd be interested in doing this possibly with the new Pike 29+ fork, possibly even Olaf Lefty
    The Pike 29+ fork is only available on bikes for now, not available aftermarket yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Farley EX 9.8

I just got the new Farley EX 9.8. I was riding the 2015 Farley 8. Initial impressions: The EX has a wide bottom bracket, but I am getting used to that. I noticed the pedal strikes way more. I hit my calves on occasion on the seat stays, they are wide and when seated and pedaling I hit if the bike if it is not perfectly straight up and down. Thats all the negitive stuff for me. The 27.5 wheels are faster and do keep your momentum going better than the 26. I dont notice any negative impact from the 27.5 wheels. It is a very stout frame, so stiff. It feels great. I love how I can get more pump out of the full suspension, and more pre-load before jumps. The Bluto is a standard bluto so not super stiff, but it work well for my terrain. I am still working on getting the rear suspension dialed in, it feels a bit harsh. I upgraded the bars to sixc 35mm 35mm rise and love them. This bike is a ton of fun to ride and thats why I bought it. Racing it at Ice Man next month. I am expecting my time to improve vs the hardtail, this bike is faster!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-farley-ex-9.8.jpg  

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-farley-ex-9.8-2.jpg  

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi all I am new here but have been following a few threads for a while now. My thoughts on this sweet machine is just that. My first few rides on it were unreal and had me thinking that they have perfected the mountain bike. I have since taken it on some bigger rides and while still awesome and quite possibly my favorite bike it wasnt nearly as lively as my regular mtb. Still would highly recommend to anyone.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    I picked up a Farley ex 8 last week so far super fun bike.

Haven't had a ton of time on it but can tell it is fun and rolls great.

Enjoyed it setup stock tried my 29+ wheels while setting up the stock wheels tubeless.

29+

Stock

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    So, do you like the 29+ better or the stock 3.8s?

mtbr member

I wouldn't say I like them better I had the Farley 9.8 before this one so full rigid and used both wheels sets. I like the options of changing based on how I am feeling or where I am riding. I also have a 26x4.8 wheel set for deep snow that I put on to validate they fit.

I just like having options as this is my only mountain bike so it will be well used.

T

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cool, thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    How does the Farley EX compare to a Top Fuel? The 29+ option intrigues me for XC racing.

mtbr member
    I rode a top fuel for a few weeks really liked it which is one reason I went this direction. For me it is very comparable other than weight of the Farley being a little heavier. I think this bike will work for XC racing with the 29+ or 27.5x3.8. I need to change the front chainring 34-36 oval and want to get the new e thirteen 9-44 cassette and then XC will be good.

T

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    so is the bottom bracket drastically wider than your old Farley 8 ?
    i was under the impression that the Farley EX 9.8 uses the NEXT SL cranks and flipped chainring to achieve the same Q factor as a 170 or 177 frame.

QUOTE=Telebikes;12867994]I just got the new Farley EX 9.8. I was riding the 2015 Farley 8. Initial impressions: The EX has a wide bottom bracket, but I am getting used to that. I noticed the pedal strikes way more. I hit my calves on occasion on the seat stays, they are wide and when seated and pedaling I hit if the bike if it is not perfectly straight up and down. Thats all the negitive stuff for me. The 27.5 wheels are faster and do keep your momentum going better than the 26. I dont notice any negative impact from the 27.5 wheels. It is a very stout frame, so stiff. It feels great. I love how I can get more pump out of the full suspension, and more pre-load before jumps. The Bluto is a standard bluto so not super stiff, but it work well for my terrain. I am still working on getting the rear suspension dialed in, it feels a bit harsh. I upgraded the bars to sixc 35mm 35mm rise and love them. This bike is a ton of fun to ride and thats why I bought it. Racing it at Ice Man next month. I am expecting my time to improve vs the hardtail, this bike is faster![/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a question for anyone who has switched over to the 27.5 from 26. Do you use less pressure than you would with the same 3.8 hodags on the 27.5?

mtbr member
    I had the first Farley with 26 wheels and hodags the pressure is a personal preference. I am heavier than most people I ride with and generally use more pressure. If I recall I use the same general pressure.

T

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    that could be a deal breaker for me. really want a farley EX 9.8 but I am concerned that the Q factor will be too wide for me.

QUOTE=Telebikes;12868406]It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykongchamp View Post
    that could be a deal breaker for me. really want a farley EX 9.8 but I am concerned that the Q factor will be too wide for me.

QUOTE=Telebikes;12868406]It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it caught me be surprise. The only issue I have found is with pedal strikes and that is very manageable. Pedaling with the width has not been an issue yet, but only
    2 rides so far

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    pedal strikes are manageable for sure. the wide q factor is a little more of a slow change for the body to adapt to. i tried to get my body to adapt to a specialized fatboy carbon last year but just couldn't do it. so i sold it.

Yeah, it caught me be surprise. The only issue I have found is with pedal strikes and that is very manageable. Pedaling with the width has not been an issue yet, but only
    2 rides so far[/QUOTE]

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telebikes View Post
    I have a question for anyone who has switched over to the 27.5 from 26. Do you use less pressure than you would with the same 3.8 hodags on the 27.5?
    I switched over from a hardtail 26 to a Salsa Bucksaw, running 27.5, with Hodags. I generally ride with higher pressure than on 26 in all instances, but I'm not a big fan of having the sidewalls fold over on me. In the snow, I''ll go as low as I can without denting the rims.

mtbr member
    The Wider bottom bracket shouldn't be a concern as it is actually better for your knee's and you should in Theory be able to put more power to the ground.

Ex. If you were to go to the gym and try to squat with your feet close together you would be limited by your poor foot location. The wider bottom brackets actually put your feet in a much better position to exert power. So honestly the wider bottom bracket is a good thing for pretty much everyone.

Just think if your a big guy, wide hips and big legs your legs are on an inward angle which then puts stress on the outer part of your new joint.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Wider bottom bracket shouldn't be a concern as it is actually better for your knee's and you should in Theory be able to put more power to the ground.

Ex. If you were to go to the gym and try to squat with your feet close together you would be limited by your poor foot location. The wider bottom brackets actually put your feet in a much better position to exert power. So honestly the wider bottom bracket is a good thing for pretty much everyone.

Just think if your a big guy, wide hips and big legs your legs are on an inward angle which then puts stress on the outer part of your new joint.
    It may be better for my knee's, but after pedaling normal Q factor bikes for 10+ years it definitely puts strain on my ankles, knees, and hips. I should note that I am a big guy at 6'4" with a 36" waist. That being said, I want my legs to adjust so badly because this bike feels like a dirt bike without a motor. It is so much fun to ride. 27.5 wheels are so much faster, it's amazing!

mtbr member
    It may be better for my knee's, but after pedaling normal Q factor bikes for 10+ years it definitely puts strain on my ankles, knees, and hips. I should note that I am a big guy at 6'4" with a 36" waist. That being said, I want my legs to adjust so badly because this bike feels like a dirt bike without a motor. It is so much fun to ride. 27.5 wheels are so much faster, it's amazing!
    Curious if your riding clipped in ??

If you switch to flat pedals and a pair of 510 shoe's I am betting a silver dollar your discomfort will go away.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Curious if your riding clipped in ??

If you switch to flat pedals and a pair of 510 shoe's I am betting a silver dollar your discomfort will go away.
    I ride clipped always. I have a size 16 foot so there are no good flat shoe options for me. I have a hard time keeping my big feet on flat pedals unforunately.

mtbr member
    I ride clipped always. I have a size 16 foot so there are no good flat shoe options for me. I have a hard time keeping my big feet on flat pedals unforunately.
    Wow, I didn't know they made a clippless shoe that big.
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member

My new Farley EX 8 in 29+ mode

Here's my new Farley EX 8. I also swapped the Bluto for the Fox 34 I had on my Stache+ and am running 29+ wheels. I also have 9Point8 dropper and Shimano m8000XT drivetrain and discs. Really, REALLY, love the ride on this bike! It's an XL sized frame and weighs ~31 pounds as shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-farleyex1.jpg  

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Tested for 2 days.2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-p4pb14046332.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey all! Brand new here. Been reading for the last few weeks about Fat Bikes and got me a Farley EX 8 last Fri. Let go of my YETI last march after Moab and been without since. Look forward to a good couple weeks. Headed to Bella Vista AR this morning from Central Ks. Doing Slaughter Pen and Blowing Spring for a couple days then down to the Womble at Lake Ouachita. Got 2 KTMs, ( 640Adv and 450EXC) the Kayak and the Trek all loaded up in the trailer. Should be fun!!

Hayden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

So 26 x 4.8 actually fits?

Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    I wouldn't say I like them better I had the Farley 9.8 before this one so full rigid and used both wheels sets. I like the options of changing based on how I am feeling or where I am riding. I also have a 26x4.8 wheel set for deep snow that I put on to validate they fit.

I just like having options as this is my only mountain bike so it will be well used.

T
    Tad, just wanted to make sure- you've actually ridden the bike with 26 x 4.8 and it works? What width were the rims? Cuz others have been saying the 4.8 won't fit due to the suspension arch. Thinking of getting one if I can run 26 x 4.7 in the winter.

mtbr member
    i have minions 26x4.8 on 80's no issues with fit or ride. i will get some photos this weekend if i have time to show how they compare to the stock 27.5x3.8 Hodag's

Quote Originally Posted by allezdude View Post
    Tad, just wanted to make sure- you've actually ridden the bike with 26 x 4.8 and it works? What width were the rims? Cuz others have been saying the 4.8 won't fit due to the suspension arch. Thinking of getting one if I can run 26 x 4.7 in the winter.
    Can you please do a width measurement as well?

mtbr member

Wheels tested no issues with any rubbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This really could be one bike for all seasons. Fits D5's on Mulefut 80's

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-15397669_10154559072225751_1825737270_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rear Shock doesn't like the cold, -25c

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-20161207_191445.jpg

2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-20161207_193125.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-20161207_193125.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    holy cow. Thats brutal

A-Y
    mtbr member
    Anyone else having issues with the Bontrager Drop Line seat post in the cold (sub zero celsius temps.)? Dropper won't hold its position and drops all the way within a few minutes of pedalling, seems worse the colder it is. Its been in the LBS once already and I'm going to have to bring it back again. Otherwise this is a great bike. The suspension really smooths outs the ruts and bumps caused by frozen foot prints.
    2017 Trek Farley EX Full Suspension Fat Bike-img_4013.jpg

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how much the EX 9.8 frame weighs? I have not been able to track a frame weight down yet.

All fat, all the time.

Name:	20161207_191445.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1109237

Name:	20161207_193125.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1109239
    Warranty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

QUOTE=Telebikes;12868406]It is wider. The chain ring is flipped for better chain line but it's wider overall. I think it will be nice to have the chain away from the wheel however as that was an issue for me on 2015 hardtail.
    Flipping the chainring changes the chainline, NOT the Q. The Q factor is the width from outside of crank arm at pedal to outside of crank arm at pedal.

A 120mm crank spindle will have 20mm wider Q factor on average than a 100mm bb.

Some cranks have a narrower Q, like the Next SL.

If you want a 100mm bb it may be possible, you just need to look at crank clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Name:	20161207_191445.jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1109237

Name:	20161207_193125.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1109239
    That shouldn't be a suprising, the Bluto would have the same problem. -25 is very cold for air shocks with rubber seals.

I just had this vision of you riding back to the car, fork and shock fully compressed

mtbr member
    That shouldn't be a suprising, the Bluto would have the same problem. -25 is very cold for air shocks with rubber seals.

I just had this vision of you riding back to the car, fork and shock fully compressed
    Why? Fox float snowmobile shox work fine.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by A-Y View Post
    Anyone else having issues with the Bontrager Drop Line seat post in the cold (sub zero celsius temps.)? Dropper won't hold its position and drops all the way within a few minutes of pedalling, seems worse the colder it is. Its been in the LBS once already and I'm going to have to bring it back again. Otherwise this is a great bike. The suspension really smooths outs the ruts and bumps caused by frozen foot prints.

Name:	IMG_4013.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	1111221
    Only cold certified dropper is the 9point8 fall line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would guess it's around 6.5-7.5 lbs including the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I have ridden my Drop Line around zero with no issues. It is slow but works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    His dropper was the 9point8 as well, it has also gone in for warranty.

A-Y
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    I have ridden my Drop Line around zero with no issues. It is slow but works.
    Bontrager sent a replacement Drop Line and so far it appears to work well. Tested on two rides: -5 and -10C respectively with no slowness when triggered. I also noticed the replacement had the trigger under the bar vs. over the bar that came stock with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Y View Post
    Bontrager sent a replacement Drop Line and so far it appears to work well. Tested on two rides: -5 and -10C respectively with no slowness when triggered. I also noticed the replacement had the trigger under the bar vs. over the bar that came stock with the bike.

We had a couple of the Bontreger droppers in the group, both were fine at -30c. Thats where I'm going next.

mtbr member

Well i think im going to pull a trigger on a 8 next season.

Never found a drawback for my 3.8" hodags on my farley 6 for my conditions. But im going to keep it as ive put some $$ into it and it can be my really cold weather bike, also had a gnarwhal on it, might put another and it can be an icy condition bike then too.

Ill probably ditch the dropper for weight savings. How much is saved going tubeless? Heard 3lbs but i doubt that. If its 33 lbs thats fine, just make the legs stronger for summer xc season.

I seen the dish on the ring was wrong on the ex my lbs has. Its chainlines not centered, is that for tire rub or is it set up wrong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast