Results 1 to 95 of 95
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568

    2017 Specialized Fatboy

    I couldn't find a thread on the new 2017 Fatboy so I created this one. Does anyone have a 2017 Fatboy? I'd like to see some pictures of the black 2017 Fatboy base if I can. Any feedback is appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I couldn't find a thread on the new 2017 Fatboy so I created this one. Does anyone have a 2017 Fatboy? I'd like to see some pictures of the black 2017 Fatboy base if I can. Any feedback is appreciated.
    The fact that it comes with a threaded bb is a big plus!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    The fact that it comes with a threaded bb is a big plus!
    Yes! I also like that they finally put thru axles front and rear on the aluminum model.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brilleaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    78
    Is the e13 crankset history? That's a good news.
    Hope the frame isn't so flexy than 2015 Expert model..it was hopeless.
    Life, Love & The Blues. And Fatbiking.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    My buddy bought one a few weeks ago and has been riding the wheels off it. Great bike- threaded BB, thru axles, more tire clearance, in frame cables, and a stiffer frame. Aside from tubeless Bud/Lou, he's been loving the stock setup.

    If my Fatboy died it would definitely be on my short list.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by brilleaux View Post
    Is the e13 crankset history? That's a good news.
    Hope the frame isn't so flexy than 2015 Expert model..it was hopeless.
    All Fatboys above the SE have RaceFace cranks now.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    It seems like the Fatboy above the SE is a bargain. RaceFace crank, 120 TPI tires, SRAM X7. The Comp Carbon is a nice bike but for $3000 it seems a bit of a joke. Extended range 1x10 and wheels that are not tubeless ready seems very expensive to me.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I couldn't find a thread on the new 2017 Fatboy
    2017 Fatboy?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    I did see that thread but it seemed pretty dead now.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    47
    I picked up the black '17 a month or so ago. I originally went to my LBS to grab a '16 as they were closing them out at $1199. When I saw the upgrades to the '17 model I decided to spend the extra money and grab one... it's a sweet bike for the money. I ditched the X7 and went GX... mainly to get rid of the unnecessary long cage rear derailleur. I also set it up tubeless with fatty strippers. Mine is an XL and weighs just about 28lbs with pedals.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    I picked up the black '17 a month or so ago. I originally went to my LBS to grab a '16 as they were closing them out at $1199. When I saw the upgrades to the '17 model I decided to spend the extra money and grab one... it's a sweet bike for the money. I ditched the X7 and went GX... mainly to get rid of the unnecessary long cage rear derailleur. I also set it up tubeless with fatty strippers. Mine is an XL and weighs just about 28lbs with pedals.
    Nice!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chad_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    428
    If this is the way Spesh would have done it at the start I would have a FB instead of a Wednesday.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,715
    I may have still ended up with the Farley in the end, but I would have given the Fat Boy more consideration for longer into the process I think...and who knows.

    As an ex bike mechanic I've worked on too many noisy threaded bottom brackets to give the press-fit thing much thought. They all need to be serviced once a year or so, so WTF.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    I may have still ended up with the Farley in the end, but I would have given the Fat Boy more consideration for longer into the process I think...and who knows.

    As an ex bike mechanic I've worked on too many noisy threaded bottom brackets to give the press-fit thing much thought. They all need to be serviced once a year or so, so WTF.
    Yes, but the threaded BB are soooo much easier to work on. I greased the threads on my buddies BB and it was a 5 min job. No pounding required.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Yes, but the threaded BB are soooo much easier to work on. I greased the threads on my buddies BB and it was a 5 min job. No pounding required.
    I think they are the same difficulty to work on, but threaded is way less barbaric.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I think they are the same difficulty to work on, but threaded is way less barbaric.
    Maybe I've just been unlucky with PF BB. The last one must have been too tight of a fit that someone installled anyway. Over an hour of pounding to eventually get it out and by that point it was so jacked that it was toast.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Over an hour?! The one on my ICT came out in under a minute!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5
    Is there any difference in the spec of the '16 vs '17 Fatboy Carbon Comp? My LBS has had a red one on the floor for a while now, but I can't really see anything that appears different in the specs of the current one on the Specialized site.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
    Is there any difference in the spec of the '16 vs '17 Fatboy Carbon Comp? My LBS has had a red one on the floor for a while now, but I can't really see anything that appears different in the specs of the current one on the Specialized site.
    No, they are identical.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5
    Thanks man!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
    Thanks man!
    No problem!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    I have one for about 2 months now,
    I absolutely love it. I will take some pics and post them later.
    One quick note: after the first trail ride it appeared that the cranks were making a nasty creeking noise on downstroke and after pulling BB and re grease was still there. Make sure to grease the seatpost tube, with the flex in the frame this was the source of my problem. Hope this helps someone.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    2017 Fatboy Large
    sorry about the sideways pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111744_1479659570369.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111754_1479659571809.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111831_1479659570955.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111859_1479659571380.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111906_1479659630803.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111919_1479659631439.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111946_1479659630146.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_111955_1479659629582.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112002_1479659684673.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112011_1479659685453.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112016_1479659685943.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112023_1479659685065.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112044_1479659790947.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112133_1479659791684.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112142_1479659790456.jpg  

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-20161120_112148_1479659790067.jpg  


  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    2017 Fatboy Large
    sorry about the sideways pics.
    Wow, great looking bike. Look at the clearance! Room for XXL tires?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Thanks for all the detailed pictures!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    198
    Great pictures! I wonder if the Fatboy is selling out already. My LBS had the 2017 on their website and that particular model is no longer shown.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    ntm1973

    Plenty of room to go bigger on front, I think maybe a 4.8 on rear would fit ,looks like anything bigger could rub.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Bud/Lou fit on my 2016 Fatboy SE.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    I just put a set of Bud/lou tubeless on my buddies '17 Fatboy and they fit with plenty of clearance.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I just put a set of Bud/lou tubeless on my buddies '17 Fatboy and they fit with plenty of clearance.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Hey Paochow,

    What is the lowest pressure you have run tubeless on the Fatboy? I know the bead doesn't seat well.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    I haven't ridden in snow with my Fatboy yet, soooo looking forward to it, does anyone have any experience / input with ground controls for snow use?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,901
    I'll tough it out with my 2015 one more season. If I ride it a lot more this year, I'll upgrade. Mine is a bit heavy at 32.5. Id like to get something around 28 lbs with lightish wheels.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    The 17 Fatboy weighs in at 31 lbs. As shown in pics w tubes.
    I toughed it out for 20 years with my 96 Proflex 756 which I still love as well.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 11-30-2016 at 10:46 AM.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I just put a set of Bud/lou tubeless on my buddies '17 Fatboy and they fit with plenty of clearance.
    were they 26 x 4.8?
    That seems to be a good winter setup looking through the forums.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 11-22-2016 at 03:15 PM.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    were they 26 x 4.8?
    That seems to be a good winter setup looking through the forums.
    Yes. Bud/Lou are 4.8" tires.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1
    Hi, I was wondering if anybody here has or has seen the new 2017 Fatboy SE? I just picked mine up at my local store yesterday. I ordered the Satin Warm Charcoal/Black one. I was surprised that it has red decals on the inside of the fork. The manager at the shop said that is something new for 2017. I was just wondering if anybody has heard or seen anything about this? Based of the pictures on the Specialized site you can't see the inside of the fork due to the angle of the picture. It almost looks like its the fork that would go on the Satin Black/Rocket Red bike. I am just trying to make sure I got the correct fork. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

    Name:  fork.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  48.7 KB

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5
    A couple of notes... my Carbon Comp fatboy weighs in at 28lbs with tubes and the 4.6" ground controls. So not a huge savings vs the 31lb alloy version mentioned above.

    Also, for those talking about clearance, I can say that if you are riding in mud, even the 4.6 cake up with mud to the point where the fork and seat/chain stays become constant "scrapers". I had to stop several times and use a stick or my shoe to scrape literally 1" of sidewall mud off the tires. Wasn't comfortable with a mud/rock mixture pounding into the carbon for an hour straight... so just keep that sort of thing in mind when looking at what tires will fit.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    Hey Paochow,

    What is the lowest pressure you have run tubeless on the Fatboy? I know the bead doesn't seat well.
    I've run down to 2psi without issue. Makes the Lou into a freaking tank track and grips like crazy. Just need to be careful at that psi as it would be easy to ding a rim. The Fatboy rims hold the tires pretty well with the vacuum seal bag method, and I prefer it to the fattystripper method most use.

    https://youtu.be/KUr5LDjBi_s
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    were they 26 x 4.8?
    That seems to be a good winter setup looking through the forums.
    Yup- studded Bud/Lou is by far my favorite winter setup for my local riding conditions. If I rode only groomed conditions I'd probably want something faster, but for getting it done these are my go to tires.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    268
    I wish I would have waited one more year, oh well. On the new fork is the internal brake line routing the only option? I want to get a 150 spaced fork to swap with the bluto but the routing seems like it would make a simple job not as simple.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    I haven't ridden in snow with my Fatboy yet, soooo looking forward to it, does anyone have any experience / input with ground controls for snow use?
    Ground Controls not particularly good in snow from what I experienced last year. Awesome on hardpack dirt though.

    Now have Bud/Lou for winter.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Ground Controls not particularly good in snow from what I experienced last year. Awesome on hardpack dirt though.

    Now have Bud/Lou for winter.
    Must depend on the type of snow. Here in WI Ground Controls were awesome last winter.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arn907's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    52
    Yeah I loved my ground controls in snow! From deep to light fluffy powder. Ice is when the d5s come on

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    427
    I've also had good luck with GC 4.6s in snow. They have awesome forward/braking traction, but they lack sidehill traction. I just swapped out last week for a bud/lou purely for float reasons and I'm also feeling how much more draggy they are. I feel like a 4.6gc is an awesome all around tire. Definitely not the best or worst at anything.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    If this is the way Spesh would have done it at the start I would have a FB instead of a Wednesday.
    Nothing wrong with the 1st generation fatboy. My 2014 is humming along just fine.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    I've also had good luck with GC 4.6s in snow. They have awesome forward/braking traction, but they lack sidehill traction. I just swapped out last week for a bud/lou purely for float reasons and I'm also feeling how much more draggy they are. I feel like a 4.6gc is an awesome all around tire. Definitely not the best or worst at anything.
    I'm in Pennsylvania (Appalachian sidehill traction problem) and nothing but heavy, crusted sleety, wet or slushy snow unlike WI or UT. GCs not loving that. Not enough grip - whole thing cakes up.

    You guys are lucky to have that powder and I definitely see GCs as awesome there.

    GCs are the only tire I use on dry clay and our abundant rocks. Seem to grip the million miles ofvtree roots well too.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    Picked up a set of Bud/Lou and a set of grip studs so I am covered for winter play ☺
    Put the tires on and love the grip on the trails especially with off camber root infested climbs, and corner way better than GC in leaves and sandy corners A+
    Like GC on hardpack and rocky trails tough.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 12-10-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Add info

  49. #49
    Not the fake Jay Leno
    Reputation: Chinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    316
    I think the GC as a rear tire is a decent tire in the snow. As many have pointed out, it's not great on the front. I've put a Bud on the front and kept GC rear and it works for me. Bud is fantastic, that is for sure.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,901
    I like the GC 4.6 too. It seems to be a good all-rounder, and came with my 2015 Fatboy. Tires like the Jumbo Jim are only good on dirt. Bud/Lou are great in the snow but too damn draggy. As it is, my bike is heavy and it is sometimes tough going on the snow, but doable and fun. The Bud/Lou would suck the fun out of it for me. I think the Dillinger 5 looks interesting and the Flo/Dund combo look good too. Back to the GC, I feel it lacks slightly on corners but I have learned to not lean the bike much on snow. So for now the GC is great. I'm tempted to try a new tire later this season.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    277
    The press fit Fatboy had so many bottom bracket issues, judging by the experience of my friends. Going to a threaded bb and thru axles at both ends, this bike is back to being highly desirable to me. It's gratifying to see Specialized tackle the issues with their spec. Hopefully, this is the start of a trend and we'll see more brands ditch press fit and go back to threaded. Until that time, the presence of a press fit BB is an automatic deal breaker for me when considering a bike.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
    Also, for those talking about clearance, I can say that if you are riding in mud, even the 4.6 cake up with mud to the point where the fork and seat/chain stays become constant "scrapers". I had to stop several times and use a stick or my shoe to scrape literally 1" of sidewall mud off the tires. Wasn't comfortable with a mud/rock mixture pounding into the carbon for an hour straight... so just keep that sort of thing in mind when looking at what tires will fit.
    Yeah. You're not kidding. My exact experience too this past weekend.

    I really, really try to not ride in mud. Stopping to deal with derailleur, fork, chainstay, sidewall mud just isn't worth it.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    47
    Enjoying my '17 Fatboy. I'm now running a Bud/Lou combo and XT 1x11. XT brakes are on the way from Jenson.

    I've purchased and returned a couple handlebars. The Thomsons didn't have enough sweep for me and the Enve RSR had a bit too much rise. Waiting on a set of RF Next 35mm bars. Hopefully they'll be the sweet spot.

    Now all we need is more snow!

  54. #54
    Stubby-legged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    973
    Anyone have frame bag on their Fatboy?
    I have a 2016 small and am struggling to find one that fits.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,901
    I got one for my large from Ovejanegrathreadworks in Salida, CO. They do custom work but call and ask if they have a slightly shorter version. If they chop maybe 3 inches off the regular one, it will fit. Not sure if you want half or full but I went with a half so I could use water bottles. I also have two small bags on top on the top tube. The quality is good but I think they all make tough frame bags.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,901
    I just checked- they have two sizes..large and small The small should fit. As far as under-toptube frame bags go, they have a half frame bag and a frame wedge bag.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    2017 Fatboy Large
    sorry about the sideways pics.
    I just saw the same bike at my LBS. waaay out of mu budget (2550$ CDN) but i think its gonna happen. Test ride on Friday. Felt DD30 is plan B.

    The white fatboy is striking in person.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    You will love it.
    An awesome bike
    I purchased from a LBS on sale for $1650 usd.
    Fyi, if you plan to purchase from LBS, get them to replace the front disk with a shimano ice tech. The stock 203mm front rotor gets a vibe going when on smooth surfaces that drove me nuts. And grease the seatpost to keep it from creeking.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    The press fit Fatboy had so many bottom bracket issues, judging by the experience of my friends. Going to a threaded bb and thru axles at both ends, this bike is back to being highly desirable to me. It's gratifying to see Specialized tackle the issues with their spec. Hopefully, this is the start of a trend and we'll see more brands ditch press fit and go back to threaded. Until that time, the presence of a press fit BB is an automatic deal breaker for me when considering a bike.
    This fixes the press fit issues on the fatboy...

    Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Bottom Brackets

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    You will love it.
    An awesome bike
    I purchased from a LBS on sale for $1650 usd.
    Fyi, if you plan to purchase from LBS, get them to replace the front disk with a shimano ice tech. The stock 203mm front rotor gets a vibe going when on smooth surfaces that drove me nuts. And grease the seatpost to keep it from creeking.
    Just put'er on layaway. Had it out for an hour test drive with all trail conditions. What a cool bike!

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43

    Good job!

    CONGRATULATIONS Halifatty!!!
    Welcome to the club !

  62. #62
    Barn Burner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3
    Love my '17 Fatboy Expert! Traded in my '16 Fatboy Comp on it since I had so much fun last winter on it and decided to go all in!

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS Halifatty!!!
    Welcome to the club !
    Thanks!! Hoping to have it soon!!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    This fixes the press fit issues on the fatboy...

    Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Bottom Brackets
    I've seen bikes come standard with these and other adapters. To me, this is manufacturers basically admitting that press fit is a bad design. Instead of relying on a Rube Goldberg third party solution that essentially turns a press fit BB into a threaded BB, manufacturers should just go with a threaded BB in the first place. I credit Specialized with realizing this. To me, that fact that so many bikes are ruined by this one avoidable flaw is irritating.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2
    Hi guys, first post, I wanted to share with you my little horror story with the all new 2017 specialized fatboy I just bought about 10 days ago.

    It all started on the first ride which was on flat, I was trying to get a feeling of the grip of the tire when my pedals started skipping. I knew something was wrong at that moment. At first I thought it was a bb probleme causing the slipping. But then I figured I had stripped the rear wheel hub. Here I am 8km. Hence began the walk of shame.

    I brought the wheel to the shop, they told me they had already seen something similar and that specialized would be sending a new wheel soon. Next day, I get a call. New wheels are out of stock for a while, so they decided to give me the wheel on one of their small frames because they had a couple in stock. Nice! Brand new wheel.

    Fast forward the weekend. I go to a fatbike event with my gf, she rents a bike and we follow a group of people through the woods in singletrack. At one point, we get to a ledge and people start getting up on their bike to climb it. I do the same.... clack. I feel that chain skipping midway on the small ledge. Result... rear hub stripped again.

    Luckily, their was a specialized tent at the event and the North eastern rep was there to help me out. He landed me free of charge another fatboy which I was so scared of riding since I broke 2 hubs in 2 rides - luckily that one was solid (although I didn't push hard nor got up on the bike).

    He told me to bring the wheel to the bikeshop and that this time, the hub would be replace by a hope hub. I'm still awaiting for their call, it's been 3 days. I will keep you guys updated.

    My stats are 185lbs, 6.0', athletic with many years as a road cyclist if you ever wonder if its a case of being heavy or not.

    Thank you and I hope you will take this into consideration in your potential purchase. I have nothing else to say about the bike, its mint. The frame and the internal wiring is topnotch, even at the front fork. Everything from the angles and the welds is seamless. It's a shame they put on such a garbage hub on a 2.5K CAD bike.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by thunzthunz View Post
    Hi guys, first post, I wanted to share with you my little horror story with the all new 2017 specialized fatboy I just bought about 10 days ago.

    It all started on the first ride which was on flat, I was trying to get a feeling of the grip of the tire when my pedals started skipping. I knew something was wrong at that moment. At first I thought it was a bb probleme causing the slipping. But then I figured I had stripped the rear wheel hub. Here I am 8km. Hence began the walk of shame.

    I brought the wheel to the shop, they told me they had already seen something similar and that specialized would be sending a new wheel soon. Next day, I get a call. New wheels are out of stock for a while, so they decided to give me the wheel on one of their small frames because they had a couple in stock. Nice! Brand new wheel.

    Fast forward the weekend. I go to a fatbike event with my gf, she rents a bike and we follow a group of people through the woods in singletrack. At one point, we get to a ledge and people start getting up on their bike to climb it. I do the same.... clack. I feel that chain skipping midway on the small ledge. Result... rear hub stripped again.

    Luckily, their was a specialized tent at the event and the North eastern rep was there to help me out. He landed me free of charge another fatboy which I was so scared of riding since I broke 2 hubs in 2 rides - luckily that one was solid (although I didn't push hard nor got up on the bike).

    He told me to bring the wheel to the bikeshop and that this time, the hub would be replace by a hope hub. I'm still awaiting for their call, it's been 3 days. I will keep you guys updated.

    My stats are 185lbs, 6.0', athletic with many years as a road cyclist if you ever wonder if its a case of being heavy or not.

    Thank you and I hope you will take this into consideration in your potential purchase. I have nothing else to say about the bike, its mint. The frame and the internal wiring is topnotch, even at the front fork. Everything from the angles and the welds is seamless. It's a shame they put on such a garbage hub on a 2.5K CAD bike.
    The Specialized Hub is a Joytech Hub and it's junk. I had the same thing happen but Specialized stood behind their product and also gave me a Hope Hub free of charge. It's been good ever since.



    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  67. #67
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,273
    Show me 1 entry level fat bike that has a hub worth talking about... none of them have it.

    DT Swiss, Onyx, I9 or even Hope, all aftermarket. Everything stock is trash.
    Todd

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    I blew through a couple of the older Fatboy hubs in rapid succession, before switching to a Hope. 2K mi now and still working great. I bought spare bearings for it, but have never needed them.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,901
    If mine goes kaput, I'll prob rebuild it with a cheap hub and not build a fancy wheelset till I get a carbon or Ti frame. Any thoughts on a better QR hub for a 2015 Fatboy? I think it is 177 spacing.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    It's 190 spacing. Go with the Hope Fatsno

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,901
    Thanks, I didn't realize it was 190.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    If you have thru axles it is 197.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    If you have thru axles it is 197.
    2015 Fatboy didn't have thru axles. Front is 135 QR and rear is 190 QR. As is the 2017 Fatboy SE.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    2015 Fatboy didn't have thru axles. Front is 135 QR and rear is 190 QR. As is the 2017 Fatboy SE.
    I was just throwing it out there for other readers.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Show me 1 entry level fat bike that has a hub worth talking about... none of them have it.

    DT Swiss, Onyx, I9 or even Hope, all aftermarket. Everything stock is trash.
    'Entry level' I feel you, but still, 2.5k is quite a lot, you get Ultegra builds when shopping road bikes for that money. It just feels unreal that the component would strip that quickly... who designed this? Who thought it was a good idea in the long term, if you have to swap parts to stand up to your warranty for every single bike you sell. /endreant

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    568
    Surly bikes have good hubs. Sealed bearings and they are quite robust. Nothing special, just quality, reliable hubs.

    Trek and Salsa also have reliable hubs. Probably more brands do as well.

    The Fatboy has always had bad hubs. My front hub SE hub was shot after 40 miles.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by thunzthunz View Post
    'Entry level' I feel you, but still, 2.5k is quite a lot, you get Ultegra builds when shopping road bikes for that money. It just feels unreal that the component would strip that quickly... who designed this? Who thought it was a good idea in the long term, if you have to swap parts to stand up to your warranty for every single bike you sell. /endreant
    Statistics and bean counters.

    I would bet the vast majority of fatboy bikes haven't had the hub issue due to a lightweight rider or limited use of the bike after the novelty of it all wore off. I bet specialized doesn't warranty as many as one would think.

    When I bought my Fatboy I did my research ahead of time and knew there was a chance the hub would break but I also know Specialized was standing behind their product so I didn't care.

    If there was another fat bike that felt as good as the Fatboy does to me (comfort and geometry) I probably would have purchased a different brand.

    It was a trade off I was willing to deal with. In the end, my Hub broke, Specialized gave me a free Hope Fatsno hub and all is good in the world.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prj71; 01-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    Have had my 2017 Fatboy for 6 months now putting about 60 miles a weekend on it on local trails without issue. Correction, a week after writing this I stripped rear hub on climb, went without any warning. walk of shame Specialized warranty replaced rear hub with Hope Fatsno. all good now.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 04-25-2017 at 09:57 AM.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ak-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    Surly bikes have good hubs. Sealed bearings and they are quite robust. Nothing special, just quality, reliable hubs.

    Trek and Salsa also have reliable hubs. Probably more brands do as well.

    The Fatboy has always had bad hubs. My front hub SE hub was shot after 40 miles.
    Two years on my Fatboy SE and no hub problems.

    I think it's funny that with all the swooning some people do over Surlys the ICT comes with a PF BB. Yep a PF BB. But they'll say "that's okay because the frame will last forever and it can be welded back together if it breaks while you are in a 3rd world country".

    But then the same people point and laugh that the first Fatboys came with PF BB.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Rode to work and back yesterday, nice burn on the legs today I'll tell yas. A dry ride 13km each way with some impromptu detours 😀

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post

    Trek and Salsa also have reliable hubs. Probably more brands do as well.
    You need to read the Trek Farley Facebook page- loads of hub failures on there. Some within the first day of ownership.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    This fixes the press fit issues on the fatboy...

    Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Bottom Brackets
    I tried that but it did not work with stock E13 cranks.

    After 2+ years of BB issues S. just gave me a brand new 2017 Fatboy. I was able to swap out all my upgraded parts and so far so good.
    I did notice a slight change in geometry though. They lowered the Head Tube to accommodate for a 100mm Bluto. However even though Stack/reach are the same, The frame seems somewhat smaller to me.
    Upgrades over the last few years:
    Enve bars
    DT swiss wheels
    XT 1X11 plus brakes
    Syntace seatpost (much more comfortable than the stock post)
    100mm Bluto with upgraded damper cartridge
    Jumbo Jim 4.0

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by aredemann View Post
    I tried that but it did not work with stock E13 cranks.

    After 2+ years of BB issues S. just gave me a brand new 2017 Fatboy. I was able to swap out all my upgraded parts and so far so good.
    I did notice a slight change in geometry though. They lowered the Head Tube to accommodate for a 100mm Bluto. However even though Stack/reach are the same, The frame seems somewhat smaller to me.
    Upgrades over the last few years:
    Enve bars
    DT swiss wheels
    XT 1X11 plus brakes
    Syntace seatpost (much more comfortable than the stock post)
    100mm Bluto with upgraded damper cartridge
    Jumbo Jim 4.0
    From what I can tell, the new geometry requires the frame to have a bumper to keep the bluto crown from hitting the down tube. Did your 2017 come with a frame bumper, or are you just going without?

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    not sure since S. paid for the built. I had a Bluto on my old frame so they probably just used the bumper from that one?

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by aredemann View Post
    not sure since S. paid for the built. I had a Bluto on my old frame so they probably just used the bumper from that one?
    The previous aluminum frames didn't have a bumper, and the current carbon frames' bumpers don't fit. My 2017 didn't come with anything and I'm getting ready to install a bluto, but I don't want a crown/downtube crash situation. Would you mind sending a pic of that area of your bike?

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    will send one tomorrow. My 2014 frame was retrofitted with a Bluto as well

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    2017 Specialized Fatboy-img_4168.jpg

    hope this helps

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for the pic Aredemann. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there isn't a frame bumper installed? Can you confirm if the crown will actually contact the downtube at full turn?

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    fork does not contact the downtube.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    27
    Does anyone have a 2017 that came with carbon fork in black they could post photos of please? I would like to see what the black red and blue look like. I only have online photos and it doesn't really show the true colors. The white bike looks much better in a real photo. For the price this looks like a great deal. Much cheaper than Farley 7 with similar equipment.

    Possibly looking to buy one in small if anyone wants to ditch theirs : )

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    17 Fatboy has chissel fork and the black scheme has white graphic no blue.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21

    Bluto installed

    I finally got around to installing a new bluto onto my 2017 aluminum Fatboy, and sure enough the crown contacts the downtube at full lock. I'm not sure if it's frame size dependent (medium frame), as previous posts from others have stated their fork crown doesn't hit the frame. After speaking with Specialized customer support, they confirmed that they don't yet have a frame bumper for these frames. I ended up buying a bumper for a carbon fatboy and modifying it to fit the aluminum frame. I had to section out a few mm's as the carbon frame is slightly wider, but now it actually fits pretty well and feels very robust. Hopefully I won't test it too often...

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21

    Summer setup

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,392
    Never understood why Specialized changed the downtube design. Previous fat boys had a small bend in the downtube so that a suspension fork would clear.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    43
    Last edited by Blaster182; 04-25-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Fatboy?
    By Schvizen in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2016, 01:04 PM
  2. Fatboy 2017 - L - why did the Geo change?
    By aredemann in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM
  3. Getting a 2017 Fatboy under warranty. some Q.
    By aredemann in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM
  5. RM Blizzard -30 vs Specialized FatBoy/FatBoy Comp?
    By Engineer90 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 12:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 219

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •