Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 95 of 95
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    271
    The press fit Fatboy had so many bottom bracket issues, judging by the experience of my friends. Going to a threaded bb and thru axles at both ends, this bike is back to being highly desirable to me. It's gratifying to see Specialized tackle the issues with their spec. Hopefully, this is the start of a trend and we'll see more brands ditch press fit and go back to threaded. Until that time, the presence of a press fit BB is an automatic deal breaker for me when considering a bike.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
    Also, for those talking about clearance, I can say that if you are riding in mud, even the 4.6 cake up with mud to the point where the fork and seat/chain stays become constant "scrapers". I had to stop several times and use a stick or my shoe to scrape literally 1" of sidewall mud off the tires. Wasn't comfortable with a mud/rock mixture pounding into the carbon for an hour straight... so just keep that sort of thing in mind when looking at what tires will fit.
    Yeah. You're not kidding. My exact experience too this past weekend.

    I really, really try to not ride in mud. Stopping to deal with derailleur, fork, chainstay, sidewall mud just isn't worth it.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    47
    Enjoying my '17 Fatboy. I'm now running a Bud/Lou combo and XT 1x11. XT brakes are on the way from Jenson.

    I've purchased and returned a couple handlebars. The Thomsons didn't have enough sweep for me and the Enve RSR had a bit too much rise. Waiting on a set of RF Next 35mm bars. Hopefully they'll be the sweet spot.

    Now all we need is more snow!

  4. #54
    Stubby-legged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    972
    Anyone have frame bag on their Fatboy?
    I have a 2016 small and am struggling to find one that fits.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,895
    I got one for my large from Ovejanegrathreadworks in Salida, CO. They do custom work but call and ask if they have a slightly shorter version. If they chop maybe 3 inches off the regular one, it will fit. Not sure if you want half or full but I went with a half so I could use water bottles. I also have two small bags on top on the top tube. The quality is good but I think they all make tough frame bags.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,895
    I just checked- they have two sizes..large and small The small should fit. As far as under-toptube frame bags go, they have a half frame bag and a frame wedge bag.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    2017 Fatboy Large
    sorry about the sideways pics.
    I just saw the same bike at my LBS. waaay out of mu budget (2550$ CDN) but i think its gonna happen. Test ride on Friday. Felt DD30 is plan B.

    The white fatboy is striking in person.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    39
    You will love it.
    An awesome bike
    I purchased from a LBS on sale for $1650 usd.
    Fyi, if you plan to purchase from LBS, get them to replace the front disk with a shimano ice tech. The stock 203mm front rotor gets a vibe going when on smooth surfaces that drove me nuts. And grease the seatpost to keep it from creeking.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    The press fit Fatboy had so many bottom bracket issues, judging by the experience of my friends. Going to a threaded bb and thru axles at both ends, this bike is back to being highly desirable to me. It's gratifying to see Specialized tackle the issues with their spec. Hopefully, this is the start of a trend and we'll see more brands ditch press fit and go back to threaded. Until that time, the presence of a press fit BB is an automatic deal breaker for me when considering a bike.
    This fixes the press fit issues on the fatboy...

    Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Bottom Brackets

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    You will love it.
    An awesome bike
    I purchased from a LBS on sale for $1650 usd.
    Fyi, if you plan to purchase from LBS, get them to replace the front disk with a shimano ice tech. The stock 203mm front rotor gets a vibe going when on smooth surfaces that drove me nuts. And grease the seatpost to keep it from creeking.
    Just put'er on layaway. Had it out for an hour test drive with all trail conditions. What a cool bike!

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    39

    Good job!

    CONGRATULATIONS Halifatty!!!
    Welcome to the club !

  12. #62
    Barn Burner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3
    Love my '17 Fatboy Expert! Traded in my '16 Fatboy Comp on it since I had so much fun last winter on it and decided to go all in!

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS Halifatty!!!
    Welcome to the club !
    Thanks!! Hoping to have it soon!!

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    This fixes the press fit issues on the fatboy...

    Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Bottom Brackets
    I've seen bikes come standard with these and other adapters. To me, this is manufacturers basically admitting that press fit is a bad design. Instead of relying on a Rube Goldberg third party solution that essentially turns a press fit BB into a threaded BB, manufacturers should just go with a threaded BB in the first place. I credit Specialized with realizing this. To me, that fact that so many bikes are ruined by this one avoidable flaw is irritating.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2
    Hi guys, first post, I wanted to share with you my little horror story with the all new 2017 specialized fatboy I just bought about 10 days ago.

    It all started on the first ride which was on flat, I was trying to get a feeling of the grip of the tire when my pedals started skipping. I knew something was wrong at that moment. At first I thought it was a bb probleme causing the slipping. But then I figured I had stripped the rear wheel hub. Here I am 8km. Hence began the walk of shame.

    I brought the wheel to the shop, they told me they had already seen something similar and that specialized would be sending a new wheel soon. Next day, I get a call. New wheels are out of stock for a while, so they decided to give me the wheel on one of their small frames because they had a couple in stock. Nice! Brand new wheel.

    Fast forward the weekend. I go to a fatbike event with my gf, she rents a bike and we follow a group of people through the woods in singletrack. At one point, we get to a ledge and people start getting up on their bike to climb it. I do the same.... clack. I feel that chain skipping midway on the small ledge. Result... rear hub stripped again.

    Luckily, their was a specialized tent at the event and the North eastern rep was there to help me out. He landed me free of charge another fatboy which I was so scared of riding since I broke 2 hubs in 2 rides - luckily that one was solid (although I didn't push hard nor got up on the bike).

    He told me to bring the wheel to the bikeshop and that this time, the hub would be replace by a hope hub. I'm still awaiting for their call, it's been 3 days. I will keep you guys updated.

    My stats are 185lbs, 6.0', athletic with many years as a road cyclist if you ever wonder if its a case of being heavy or not.

    Thank you and I hope you will take this into consideration in your potential purchase. I have nothing else to say about the bike, its mint. The frame and the internal wiring is topnotch, even at the front fork. Everything from the angles and the welds is seamless. It's a shame they put on such a garbage hub on a 2.5K CAD bike.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by thunzthunz View Post
    Hi guys, first post, I wanted to share with you my little horror story with the all new 2017 specialized fatboy I just bought about 10 days ago.

    It all started on the first ride which was on flat, I was trying to get a feeling of the grip of the tire when my pedals started skipping. I knew something was wrong at that moment. At first I thought it was a bb probleme causing the slipping. But then I figured I had stripped the rear wheel hub. Here I am 8km. Hence began the walk of shame.

    I brought the wheel to the shop, they told me they had already seen something similar and that specialized would be sending a new wheel soon. Next day, I get a call. New wheels are out of stock for a while, so they decided to give me the wheel on one of their small frames because they had a couple in stock. Nice! Brand new wheel.

    Fast forward the weekend. I go to a fatbike event with my gf, she rents a bike and we follow a group of people through the woods in singletrack. At one point, we get to a ledge and people start getting up on their bike to climb it. I do the same.... clack. I feel that chain skipping midway on the small ledge. Result... rear hub stripped again.

    Luckily, their was a specialized tent at the event and the North eastern rep was there to help me out. He landed me free of charge another fatboy which I was so scared of riding since I broke 2 hubs in 2 rides - luckily that one was solid (although I didn't push hard nor got up on the bike).

    He told me to bring the wheel to the bikeshop and that this time, the hub would be replace by a hope hub. I'm still awaiting for their call, it's been 3 days. I will keep you guys updated.

    My stats are 185lbs, 6.0', athletic with many years as a road cyclist if you ever wonder if its a case of being heavy or not.

    Thank you and I hope you will take this into consideration in your potential purchase. I have nothing else to say about the bike, its mint. The frame and the internal wiring is topnotch, even at the front fork. Everything from the angles and the welds is seamless. It's a shame they put on such a garbage hub on a 2.5K CAD bike.
    The Specialized Hub is a Joytech Hub and it's junk. I had the same thing happen but Specialized stood behind their product and also gave me a Hope Hub free of charge. It's been good ever since.



    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  17. #67
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,263
    Show me 1 entry level fat bike that has a hub worth talking about... none of them have it.

    DT Swiss, Onyx, I9 or even Hope, all aftermarket. Everything stock is trash.
    Todd

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,133
    I blew through a couple of the older Fatboy hubs in rapid succession, before switching to a Hope. 2K mi now and still working great. I bought spare bearings for it, but have never needed them.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,895
    If mine goes kaput, I'll prob rebuild it with a cheap hub and not build a fancy wheelset till I get a carbon or Ti frame. Any thoughts on a better QR hub for a 2015 Fatboy? I think it is 177 spacing.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,367
    It's 190 spacing. Go with the Hope Fatsno

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,895
    Thanks, I didn't realize it was 190.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    539
    If you have thru axles it is 197.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    If you have thru axles it is 197.
    2015 Fatboy didn't have thru axles. Front is 135 QR and rear is 190 QR. As is the 2017 Fatboy SE.

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    2015 Fatboy didn't have thru axles. Front is 135 QR and rear is 190 QR. As is the 2017 Fatboy SE.
    I was just throwing it out there for other readers.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Show me 1 entry level fat bike that has a hub worth talking about... none of them have it.

    DT Swiss, Onyx, I9 or even Hope, all aftermarket. Everything stock is trash.
    'Entry level' I feel you, but still, 2.5k is quite a lot, you get Ultegra builds when shopping road bikes for that money. It just feels unreal that the component would strip that quickly... who designed this? Who thought it was a good idea in the long term, if you have to swap parts to stand up to your warranty for every single bike you sell. /endreant

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    539
    Surly bikes have good hubs. Sealed bearings and they are quite robust. Nothing special, just quality, reliable hubs.

    Trek and Salsa also have reliable hubs. Probably more brands do as well.

    The Fatboy has always had bad hubs. My front hub SE hub was shot after 40 miles.

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by thunzthunz View Post
    'Entry level' I feel you, but still, 2.5k is quite a lot, you get Ultegra builds when shopping road bikes for that money. It just feels unreal that the component would strip that quickly... who designed this? Who thought it was a good idea in the long term, if you have to swap parts to stand up to your warranty for every single bike you sell. /endreant
    Statistics and bean counters.

    I would bet the vast majority of fatboy bikes haven't had the hub issue due to a lightweight rider or limited use of the bike after the novelty of it all wore off. I bet specialized doesn't warranty as many as one would think.

    When I bought my Fatboy I did my research ahead of time and knew there was a chance the hub would break but I also know Specialized was standing behind their product so I didn't care.

    If there was another fat bike that felt as good as the Fatboy does to me (comfort and geometry) I probably would have purchased a different brand.

    It was a trade off I was willing to deal with. In the end, my Hub broke, Specialized gave me a free Hope Fatsno hub and all is good in the world.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prj71; 01-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    39
    Have had my 2017 Fatboy for 6 months now putting about 60 miles a weekend on it on local trails without issue. Correction, a week after writing this I stripped rear hub on climb, went without any warning. walk of shame Specialized warranty replaced rear hub with Hope Fatsno. all good now.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:57 AM.

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ak-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    Surly bikes have good hubs. Sealed bearings and they are quite robust. Nothing special, just quality, reliable hubs.

    Trek and Salsa also have reliable hubs. Probably more brands do as well.

    The Fatboy has always had bad hubs. My front hub SE hub was shot after 40 miles.
    Two years on my Fatboy SE and no hub problems.

    I think it's funny that with all the swooning some people do over Surlys the ICT comes with a PF BB. Yep a PF BB. But they'll say "that's okay because the frame will last forever and it can be welded back together if it breaks while you are in a 3rd world country".

    But then the same people point and laugh that the first Fatboys came with PF BB.

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Rode to work and back yesterday, nice burn on the legs today I'll tell yas. A dry ride 13km each way with some impromptu detours 😀

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post

    Trek and Salsa also have reliable hubs. Probably more brands do as well.
    You need to read the Trek Farley Facebook page- loads of hub failures on there. Some within the first day of ownership.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    This fixes the press fit issues on the fatboy...

    Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Bottom Brackets
    I tried that but it did not work with stock E13 cranks.

    After 2+ years of BB issues S. just gave me a brand new 2017 Fatboy. I was able to swap out all my upgraded parts and so far so good.
    I did notice a slight change in geometry though. They lowered the Head Tube to accommodate for a 100mm Bluto. However even though Stack/reach are the same, The frame seems somewhat smaller to me.
    Upgrades over the last few years:
    Enve bars
    DT swiss wheels
    XT 1X11 plus brakes
    Syntace seatpost (much more comfortable than the stock post)
    100mm Bluto with upgraded damper cartridge
    Jumbo Jim 4.0

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by aredemann View Post
    I tried that but it did not work with stock E13 cranks.

    After 2+ years of BB issues S. just gave me a brand new 2017 Fatboy. I was able to swap out all my upgraded parts and so far so good.
    I did notice a slight change in geometry though. They lowered the Head Tube to accommodate for a 100mm Bluto. However even though Stack/reach are the same, The frame seems somewhat smaller to me.
    Upgrades over the last few years:
    Enve bars
    DT swiss wheels
    XT 1X11 plus brakes
    Syntace seatpost (much more comfortable than the stock post)
    100mm Bluto with upgraded damper cartridge
    Jumbo Jim 4.0
    From what I can tell, the new geometry requires the frame to have a bumper to keep the bluto crown from hitting the down tube. Did your 2017 come with a frame bumper, or are you just going without?

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    not sure since S. paid for the built. I had a Bluto on my old frame so they probably just used the bumper from that one?

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by aredemann View Post
    not sure since S. paid for the built. I had a Bluto on my old frame so they probably just used the bumper from that one?
    The previous aluminum frames didn't have a bumper, and the current carbon frames' bumpers don't fit. My 2017 didn't come with anything and I'm getting ready to install a bluto, but I don't want a crown/downtube crash situation. Would you mind sending a pic of that area of your bike?

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    will send one tomorrow. My 2014 frame was retrofitted with a Bluto as well

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    2017 Specialized Fatboy-img_4168.jpg

    hope this helps

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for the pic Aredemann. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there isn't a frame bumper installed? Can you confirm if the crown will actually contact the downtube at full turn?

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    91
    fork does not contact the downtube.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    27
    Does anyone have a 2017 that came with carbon fork in black they could post photos of please? I would like to see what the black red and blue look like. I only have online photos and it doesn't really show the true colors. The white bike looks much better in a real photo. For the price this looks like a great deal. Much cheaper than Farley 7 with similar equipment.

    Possibly looking to buy one in small if anyone wants to ditch theirs : )

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    39
    17 Fatboy has chissel fork and the black scheme has white graphic no blue.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21

    Bluto installed

    I finally got around to installing a new bluto onto my 2017 aluminum Fatboy, and sure enough the crown contacts the downtube at full lock. I'm not sure if it's frame size dependent (medium frame), as previous posts from others have stated their fork crown doesn't hit the frame. After speaking with Specialized customer support, they confirmed that they don't yet have a frame bumper for these frames. I ended up buying a bumper for a carbon fatboy and modifying it to fit the aluminum frame. I had to section out a few mm's as the carbon frame is slightly wider, but now it actually fits pretty well and feels very robust. Hopefully I won't test it too often...

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    21

    Summer setup

    2017 Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,367
    Never understood why Specialized changed the downtube design. Previous fat boys had a small bend in the downtube so that a suspension fork would clear.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    39
    Last edited by Blaster182; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Fatboy?
    By Schvizen in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2016, 01:04 PM
  2. Fatboy 2017 - L - why did the Geo change?
    By aredemann in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM
  3. Getting a 2017 Fatboy under warranty. some Q.
    By aredemann in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM
  5. RM Blizzard -30 vs Specialized FatBoy/FatBoy Comp?
    By Engineer90 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 12:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 290

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •