mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Smile 2017 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 vs Sasquatch 6.2?

I found an old thread on this but it was for 2016 and the 2017's have changed, especially that the BF now takes up to a 5" tire.

Struggling between the Norco 2017 Bigfoot 6.1 and the Sasqatch 6.2r, similar $. They seem to have similar builds, with the exception that:
    Bigfoot 6.1 has Raceface Affect crank, 190 QR in rear.
    Sasquatch has Sammox crank (cheaper?) & 197 TA in rear. Even with a cheaper crank, is 197 TA in the back enough to explain being $300 more expensive, or is it the Maxxis Colossus 4.8's vs the Kenda Juggernaut 4.5's?

Update:
    I actually pulled the trigger on the '17 Bigfoot 6.1. Based on on-line reviews, I was expecting ~31 lbs, so I was surprised to weigh it at home to 33.6 lbs, the same as a friend's 2016 Sasquatch 6.1 with the Bluto! Are the Kenda 4.5 tires that heavy?
    Time to get FAT BIKING!
    Last edited by tturkstra; 12-17-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    Tim
    When all is said and done, it seems that more gets said than done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was confused by norcos build on the 2 models. The race face is the better crank, and if im not mistaken, the brakes are better on the bigfoot. I think the only benifit is the thru axles. The bigfoot is the better build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I agree with Machine. The Bigfoot has the better cranks and a upgrade on the brakes. The tires are both good with the Sasquatch having 4.8's, compared to the 4.5 of the Bigfoot.

I couldn't justify 300 more for the Sasquatch which has the rear thru axle, but lesser components. I figured a rear qr for the riding I will be doing was worth the savings and better spec.

The juggernaut pro 4.5's are tubeless ready as are the mulefats. I just ordered a conversion kit which should bring the weight down.

Tturkstra, what size did you buy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got a Large. I think the Maxxis Colossus is quite a bit more expensive than the Juggernauts, so maybe that's part of the price difference. Looking online, the brakes seemed the same to me. What is the upgrade on the BigFoot?

I got a large and went for a spin yesterday. I'm not too impressed with the SRAM NX 1x11. Unpredictable and difficult to adjust to eliminate missed shifts. Perhaps I've just been spoiled by my XT 1x11 on my other bike.

Perhaps more importantly, the rear disk has a wow in it and rubs for part of the rotation. I fixed it, but that quality control, or lack thereof, is frustrating. Not sure if Norco or the local bike shop should have caught that, but frustrating.
    Tim
    When all is said and done, it seems that more gets said than done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The brakes are level T SRAMs, not Just the levels on the Sasquatch. They are a grade higher and retail for about twice as much. My NX drive tran has been smooth so far, but it is not the same quality as XT. Enjoy the bike, I bought a large too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A couple of lbs can be lost on changing to tubeless and switching to a carbon bar, which is warmer in the winter than a metal bar.
    Another upgrade on Sasquatch is the stronger 35mm bar and stem combo from Raceface.
    Thru axle was big decider, having replaced a couple of quick releases for customers. Wide wheels/tires add a lot of twisting forces on fat bike wheels when off camber riding of any type, be it glancing off rocks or off camber slopes. Thru axle certainly helps stiffen up the whole assembly, From my observations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tturkstra View Post
    Got a Large. I think the Maxxis Colossus is quite a bit more expensive than the Juggernauts, so maybe that's part of the price difference. Looking online, the brakes seemed the same to me. What is the upgrade on the BigFoot?

I got a large and went for a spin yesterday. I'm not too impressed with the SRAM NX 1x11. Unpredictable and difficult to adjust to eliminate missed shifts. Perhaps I've just been spoiled by my XT 1x11 on my other bike.

Perhaps more importantly, the rear disk has a wow in it and rubs for part of the rotation. I fixed it, but that quality control, or lack thereof, is frustrating. Not sure if Norco or the local bike shop should have caught that, but frustrating.
    Pics , need pics!

mtbr member
    In my opinion beside the fact that the TA is the way to go on a fat bike.
    It brings a better hub. The rear hub on the bigfoot is definitely one of the cheapest kind.
    Si ca monte, ca va forcément redescendre un moment donné.
    www.becikcycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you aren't buying thru axles and 150 front and 197 rear then you are buying an obsolete design.
    Big tires twist QR axles in the drop outs. Thru axles are a must for big tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was deciding between Bigfoot 6.1 and Sasquatch 6.2 rigid and decided to go with the Sasquatch mainly because I did not want a bike without through axles, especially not a fat bike. I do think the blue Bigfoot looks better, but the 6.2 also looks better in person than on the web. Either way, just before I pulled the trigger on the 6.2, I found a 2016 Sasquatch 6.1 virtually brand new for cheaper that the 6.2 and could not pass that up.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    If you aren't buying thru axles and 150 front and 197 rear then you are buying an obsolete design.
    Big tires twist QR axles in the drop outs. Thru axles are a must for big tires.
    Maybe so, but QR's and me have been shredding for decades on terrain far more difficult than what my winter fat bike riding will require. Perhaps if you are doing some technical decents on rocky terrain i can more clearly see the usefulness of the application of thru axles. With the Bigfoot I saved the cash and got a thru axle front, better brakes and crankset. I have not felt any "twisting" and it rides plenty stiff for what I am going to ask it to do. I have been smiling since I got it, except the multiple attempts to set it up tubeless (I did finally suceed).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 636 View Post
    Maybe so, but QR's and me have been shredding for decades on terrain far more difficult than what my winter fat bike riding will require. Perhaps if you are doing some technical decents on rocky terrain i can more clearly see the usefulness of the application of thru axles. With the Bigfoot I saved the cash and got a thru axle front, better brakes and crankset. I have not felt any "twisting" and it rides plenty stiff for what I am going to ask it to do. I have been smiling since I got it, except the multiple attempts to set it up tubeless (I did finally suceed).
    Guys that twist the big meats out of the QR axles in sliding drop outs do it at crawling speeds, and in the snow. Big hits and speed are not needed.
    I owed a Bigfoot before buying my Farley 7. It was what got me into fat. But I wanted to run bigger tires and the Norco couldn't do that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Guys that twist the big meats out of the QR axles in sliding drop outs do it at crawling speeds, and in the snow. Big hits and speed are not needed.
    I owed a Bigfoot before buying my Farley 7. It was what got me into fat. But I wanted to run bigger tires and the Norco couldn't do that.
    Sasquatch takes 5 inch tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller View Post
    Sasquatch takes 5 inch tires
    Has anyone fit the 2XL tire to a Sasquatch? I know it won't fit the Sasquatch 6.1 as that has a Bluto fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Just got a Sasquatch 6.2, 2017. Enjoyed the 2 little rides I did. Got the large, I am just over 5.10 and I love the fit. I previously rode a Scott big jon (for a week, bought used) medium size but it felt too small for me.
    it think it looks a little weird but the low standover is great for a snowbike.
    And here in Quebec, we have loads of snow for a long time

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just upgraded from a 2015 BF 6.1 to a 2017 BF 6.1. Mostly because of the better geometry.

I've been doing off trail winter riding in the Rockies and Prairies for about 4 years now, all my fat bikes except my Bucksaw are/were QR and I have never had any problems - I'm over 200lb and I think I am strong. LOL

Based on one winter riding the Bucksaw and a Mukluk I find suspension and dropper posts useless in the winter. So that bike is my summer fat bike and I've stuck with Mukluks and Bigfoots since then in the winter.

I don't think Norco have fully thought their line up through. IMO the lineup should go:
    • Bigfoot; fat adventure bike with lots of mounts (even on carbon fork)
    • Sasquatch; fat trail bike, slack,
    • Ithaqua; fat race bike

Right now there seems to be too much overlap between the BF and Sasquatch.