mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2017 Blizzard -50

pulling the trigger today, after all my research the 17 seems to check all the boxes and in the price range has a dt rear hub. they seem to have changed the geometry this year so it will be a little more slack which appeals to me. anyhow i am not seeing a lot written about this bike anyone been riding one? I was torn between this and the woo but since the rm has 197 rear spacing and a dt rear hub this bike took 1st place based on my internet shopping skills!!!

mtbr member
    I really like the looks of that bike. Seems to have the geometry of an Ice Cream Truck at a much lower weight. Mind writing about it after a few rides in? I'm looking to replace my 907 frameset with something a bit more trail oriented and this may be the right bike.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    schnee write i will! you also cant beat the component spec for the price there really isn't a horrible part.

WLB
    Gettin fat in SLC

If you get one you won't regret it

I got one about a month ago, have about 14 rides on it now. Absolutely love it on both dirt and snow. I first wanted a Kona Wozo, but none were available. That led me to look around for a "trail" type fattie, and I found the Blizzard. Really glad I did now, it ticked off all the boxes the Wozo did & more: Fairly slack (67 deg), reasonably short chainstays (435mm), great mix of components (XT 11-46 cassette, derailleur, shifters. Shimano brakes (not XT but they work just about as well) A biggie, 100mm threaded BB. Mulefut 80 rims, and 120 tpi TLR Minion FBF/FBR 4.8 tires. 197x12 rear, 150x15 front, with the DT Swiss 350 Big Ride rear hub for '17. Bluto 120 up front. RaceFace Cinch crankset with 28t chainring. All in all, a great set of components for the $2600 price. I put a Thomson Covert dropper on mine, converted to tubeless & have Canfield Bros Crampon mountain pedals. Weighs pretty close to 32lb with a little dirt on it. I live in Salt Lake, have ridden it on local singletrack in the dirt, and now that we've gotten in the cycle, have done a bunch of snow rides in Little Cottonwood, Round Valley, City Creek, etc. It's my favorite bike right now, just want to ride every day. Disclaimer, I have not ridden many other fat bikes, so I don't have a large catalogue of comparisons, but my other bike is an Ibis Ripley, and so far since I've gotten the RM i haven't ridden anything else

2017 Blizzard -50-img_0569.jpg

ride
    I was on a 2015 Blizzard 50 for two years. I've now been on this 2017 for a couple months. LOVE IT. The geo changes are slight but the spec' is much better. 11sp XT works great and Minions are my favorite fatty tire out there. I spent most of my time getting used to this bike on the dirt but we've had a bunch of snow the last couple weeks so it's getting the white stuff now. Great bike. One of my favorite things about the Blizzard is that it feels more like a trail bike than a traditional fatbike. This thing rips everywhere I take it,especially with the addtion of a dropper post. If anyone on the Front Range of CO wants to take it out, it's available for demo, too.

2017 Blizzard -50-blizz50.jpg
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Old Fat Guy
    I would echo the previous statements as well. I've said it a couple of times on these forums, and that is that this bike "rides" very similarly to my trail bike (RMB Thunderbolt BC Edition). The bars are the same width. The reach feels about the same. The seat of the pants sensation is remarkably similar.

I've also gone tubeless, and am looking to add a dropper next.

I've had the bike for about six weeks now, and the first few weeks of October/November trail riding was a hoot. I was also commuting to work with it, and over about a 10KM commute, I'm about 10% slower.

December has brought some snow, but also very cold temps (-25C or so), so riding has been limited for the last week-and-a-half or so.

I thought the rear cluster was 11-42 though...?

BenTYYC

2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition
    2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    I would echo the previous statements as well. I've said it a couple of times on these forums, and that is that this bike "rides" very similarly to my trail bike (RMB Thunderbolt BC Edition). The bars are the same width. The reach feels about the same. The seat of the pants sensation is remarkably similar.

I've also gone tubeless, and am looking to add a dropper next.

I've had the bike for about six weeks now, and the first few weeks of October/November trail riding was a hoot. I was also commuting to work with it, and over about a 10KM commute, I'm about 10% slower.

December has brought some snow, but also very cold temps (-25C or so), so riding has been limited for the last week-and-a-half or so.

I thought the rear cluster was 11-42 though...?

Great. Now I want one!! Besides your great review, I like your pics. Where the heck is that second pic? Amazing bike parking for sure!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This looks awesome. I have some questions for anyone that might have answers:

1. Has anyone tried the race face cranks with the spindle that is reserved usually for a 170mm rear axle to decrease the q factor? Does it fit? I am able to do this on my current 197mm rear axle fatty.
    2. Anyone try to fit 29+ wheels?
    3. Is it available as a frame only option? Cost?

Thanks in advance guys/gals

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    bike should be here either friday or monday, either way i am stoked. my only changes will be bar and stem, tubeless, and i am putting xt brakes on.

what pressure are you guys running? I am about 205+gear so my educated guess would be to start around 10 0r 11?

Old Fat Guy
    @HotHead - That is the bike lock-up in the office building where I work. That was a -15C commute in that day.

@beachbum1 - There's the beginnings of a 29+ discussion on another thread about Blizzards. There's link there to a FB group that talks about it further.

@kenwood72 - Stoked for you. Bet you can't wait for it to arrive. I'm still learning the nuances of air pressure with these high-volume tires. I've had as high as 15 psi on a pure pavement ride, and as low as 5-6 psi just fooling around on some local dirt. The last ride I did was 9 psi/10psi front/back, and I'm a hair lighter than you.
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

WLB
    Gettin fat in SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    bike should be here either friday or monday, either way i am stoked. my only changes will be bar and stem, tubeless, and i am putting xt brakes on.

what pressure are you guys running? I am about 205+gear so my educated guess would be to start around 10 0r 11?
    I run about 10-12 for the couple of miles from my house to the trail, then drop to 5 psi if it's packed, down to 2-3 if powder. Tubeless using the Sun Ringle tape & tubeless rim strips. Flawless at all pressures so far. On of the best things I've bought is a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL pump. I can change from loose snow pressure to road pressure in a few seconds.
    @Ben, mine came with 11-46 cassette, & here in the Wasatch I use every tooth of that baby😆

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    @kenwood72 - Stoked for you. Bet you can't wait for it to arrive. I'm still learning the nuances of air pressure with these high-volume tires. I've had as high as 15 psi on a pure pavement ride, and as low as 5-6 psi just fooling around on some local dirt. The last ride I did was 9 psi/10psi front/back, and I'm a hair lighter than you.
    i have a 275+ bike with 3.0s and it is very similar, one pound off and i get flats or a poor ride, i ride 19/20 rear and 18 front on that bike took a while to get that perfect!!

and thanks i am happy looking forward to trying something new.

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    On of the best things I've bought is a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL pump. I can change from loose snow pressure to road pressure in a few seconds.

@Ben, mine came with 11-46 cassette, & here in the Wasatch I use every tooth of that baby😆
    Good call on that Lezyne pump - I've been checking those out recently.

Mine's definitely an 11-42, and I'm pretty sure the spec sheet on the Rocky website says the same. Did your LBS swap it out for you? I suppose it's an easy swap when it's time to replace the cassette...
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

WLB
    Gettin fat in SLC
    Yeah, I was expecting an 11-42, that's what the website says. But mine showed up with an 11-46. A pleasant surprise. Maybe they knew that I'm old, fat & slow 
    Rode 13 days out of 17, took a day off to go backcountry skiing. Snow cover is excellent here, calling for another 14-24 " this weekend!
    Just picked up the half frame bag from Rocky Mountain. It's sweet, fits really well. Space is at a premium though. I can fit the Lezyne pump, my tools, a tube, gloves, some small food, but that's it. Can get by on short rides with no backpack though, love that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Blizzard -50-img_5042.jpg  

2017 Blizzard -50-img_5044.jpg  

2017 Blizzard -50-img_5046.jpg  

2017 Blizzard -50-img_5049.jpg  

mtbr member

2017 Blizzard -50

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Yeah, I was expecting an 11-42, that's what the website says. But mine showed up with an 11-46. A pleasant surprise. Maybe they knew that I'm old, fat & slow 
    Rode 13 days out of 17, took a day off to go backcountry skiing. Snow cover is excellent here, calling for another 14-24 " this weekend!
    Just picked up the half frame bag from Rocky Mountain. It's sweet, fits really well. Space is at a premium though. I can fit the Lezyne pump, my tools, a tube, gloves, some small food, but that's it. Can get by on short rides with no backpack though, love that.
    Fyi
    11-46 seems huge but its on par with srams 10-42.

11-46 is 418% range
    10-42 is 420% range.

I have 10-42 and 11-42 bikes, the 11-42 is noticeably slower. If i had a 46 i could run 2 teeth larger on the crank
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    how is everyone liking the stock brakes? My current plan is to upgrade to XT as from what i can tell the stock stoppers cant accept the finned pads and i am particular about brake feel.....

Old Fat Guy
    how is everyone liking the stock brakes? My current plan is to upgrade to XT as from what i can tell the stock stoppers cant accept the finned pads and i am particular about brake feel.....
    Power is fine, but feel is "lacking". A bit of a binary, all-or-none affair.

I have the XT Ice-Tec brakes and finned pads on my trail bike, and the feel is a lot "better", but they also suffer that pump-up trait talked about in other threads. The brakes on the Blizzard don't seem to be affected by that...
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

ride
    The brakes are ok. They're not powerful enough for my tastes on steep terrain in dry/dirt conditions but they have been decent enough for snow riding. The pad is the M05 pad which is different from the new SLX/XT/XTR pad. The reliability of the 447 caliper is much better than any we've seen with XT, though. We deal with contaminated pads, pump, and the need to bleed XTs frequently when ridden hard. Never have any of those issues with the cheaper Shimano calipers like the one on the Rocky.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    The brakes are ok. They're not powerful enough for my tastes on steep terrain in dry/dirt conditions but they have been decent enough for snow riding. The pad is the M05 pad which is different from the new SLX/XT/XTR pad. The reliability of the 447 caliper is much better than any we've seen with XT, though. We deal with contaminated pads, pump, and the need to bleed XTs frequently when ridden hard. Never have any of those issues with the cheaper Shimano calipers like the one on the Rocky.
    Yeah I can't figure out xt even my saints have been odd at times what is stupid the my lbs claims xt is bulletproof and they don't know of the issues. Good thing though is bleedong the shimano and remedying the problem seems to be easy it is just that they shouldn't need to be touched so much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Interested in the -50 myself primarily snow riding. Please let me know your initial thoughts as soon as possible after you get a good ride in! Cheers

Old Fat Guy
    Wiped out on ice and pooched my derailleur hanger about 15 minutes after this pic:

On the plus side, the tubeless conversion seems to be holding well.
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

WLB
    Gettin fat in SLC
    Wiped out on ice and pooched my derailleur hanger about 15 minutes after this pic:

On the plus side, the tubeless conversion seems to be holding well.
    Aw man, that sucks! Must have fallen pretty hard on the drive side to do that. My tubeless conversion has been flawless. Rode a foot of new snow yesterday @ 2.5 psi, not a single burp. Just did kind of an impulse buy, ordered a set of Light Bicycle carbon 27.5" 50 mm wheels, built with DT Swiss Big Ride hubs, Sapim CXRay spokes. Gonna put some 2.8 - 3.0" tires on for summer trail riding. Loving the -50!

Old Fat Guy
    All better... Got the new derailleur hanger and also needed that link piece, but all is well (and straight) again!!

Intrigued about the wheels WLB! I heard of others going with 29+ on an alternate wheel set. I haven't stopped to consider the overall diameter of 26 fat vs. 27.5+ vs 29+.

Let us know how things go when you get the wheels!
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

Old Fat Guy
    It's snowing in YYC!!

BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    short ride to bed in the brakes in my neighborhood.....anyhow it feels good, there is a small drop up the hill from my house, maybe 2.5-3 feet and wow the bike felt good coming off it. i didnt know what to expect but the geometry feels good. anyhow i am kinda in disbelief i have had the bike since friday and it hasnt been on the trail but that is what happens when you have a family!!

Old Fat Guy
    short ride to bed in the brakes in my neighborhood.....anyhow it feels good, there is a small drop up the hill from my house, maybe 2.5-3 feet and wow the bike felt good coming off it. i didnt know what to expect but the geometry feels good. anyhow i am kinda in disbelief i have had the bike since friday and it hasnt been on the trail but that is what happens when you have a family!!
    So glad to hear you got it! I hope you love it as much as I love mine. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Enjoy the ride!!
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

Old Fat Guy
    Some good riding right now...

BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    finally got out on the trail, about 16 miles with a lot of steep muddy climbs and about a mile of 6inch snow toward the top. the bike is super impressive!! coming from 2 aggressive fs bikes this thing feels spot on. the only thing holding me back on the fast and tech stuff was the lack of a dropper-i hate tech descending with my seat up but again WOW this is a fast and agile fat bike. gonna take it on a much faster trail tomorrow so i will update after that but i am really glad i bought it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    rode again yesterday, wet snow at the top that i couldn't ride through got back to the more technical part of the trail and kinda felt really rough, i was running 10/11 psi so that may be the issue and i think i have to much air in the fork so that needs adjustment, bike is dialed though as far as fit and geo i just think the fat biking is a much slower run than i am use to and i really need a dropper coming off some small jumps the seat wasn't my friend!

Old Fat Guy
    Dropper added!!

I went with the Race Face Turbine dropper which licenses tech from 9Point8. Also went with their 1x "hop-up" lever, rather than the stock one. After one ride, I'm liking the new post a lot!! Temps were -14C here today, and the post behaved as expected with no lag. Great first impression!

Post and lever:

Cable routing on the frame:

All ready for the next adventure:
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

beater
    RM must have done a rolling change, because mine came with the 11-46 cassette as well. I wasn't expecting it based on the spec page, but I was pleased to see it on there.

The front triangle is within a few mm of the Yelli Screamy I used to have. The Blizzard just feels like a mountain bike. I think it'll make a great shoulder-season bike when the trails are a crappy mix, too.

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    RM must have done a rolling change, because mine came with the 11-46 cassette as well. I wasn't expecting it based on the spec page, but I was pleased to see it on there.
    I've gone up a few snowy climbs where a 46 tooth rear would have been appreciated...

I wonder if it is a true rolling change or if it's more a "what they had on hand" scenario. They seem to have quite a few bikes that are spec'ing the 11-46 cassette, and perhaps that's what they had available when your bike went out the door?
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

Rocking on a Rocky
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    RM must have done a rolling change, because mine came with the 11-46 cassette as well. . .

I think it'll make a great shoulder-season bike when the trails are a crappy mix, too.
    The only Blizzards that had a 42t were some of the very first we got in (Oct/Nov). Everything else has had the 46t. Our rep said 46t is the correct spec.

As to the shoulder season bit, I use mine as an all year all rounder. Put some 4" Minions on there and it's a dirt ripper!
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    This has been one of the most depressing winter riding seasons in a long time. Chicago has had NO winter. first 3 weekends in Dec it snowed, then by Christmas it all melted. January was more like April, and Feb is more like May. Got to 70+ one day....

In October they were predicting that it would be a much colder than normal and snowier than normal winter for the Midwest....somehow Mother Nature didn't get the memo....

mtbr member
    I saw one in person yesterday for the first time and it's a sweet looking ride!

I'm assuming it's a bit of a porker though with the Bluto and Minions?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    I saw one in person yesterday for the first time and it's a sweet looking ride!

I'm assuming it's a bit of a porker though with the Bluto and Minions?
    Website says 33lbs for the 2016 and I wouldn't think it would be much heavier with the added gearing. Since this isn't a 2016 Blizzard -50 thread I won't hijack it, but given the specs aren't that different getting a deal on the older model is what I did and haven't regretted it.

Slarti: I hear your pain! Even up in Canada while we've had some winter, it's been fairly pathetic in the prairies. Ended up buying some Dillenger 5s because the daily melt plus nighttime freeze was getting pretty dangerous. Need more people on fat bikes so we can fix global warming and get our winters back!!
    2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

ride
    My large 2017 is 35.6 with XT trail pedals, cheap al bottle cage, and Race Face dropper post. Lots of sealant in the tires, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Old Fat Guy
    Reviving this thread since I flipped my '17 Blizzard -50C to B+ for the summer...

- Race Face Arc 45 rims
    - DT Swiss 350 Big Ride hubs
    - DT Swiss spokes (black)
    - DT Swiss nipples (purple)
    - Maxxis Chronicle EXO TR 27.5 x 3.0, setup tubeless

Comparison to the original wheelset:

New B+

vs. Original 26 x 4.8
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Reviving this thread since I flipped my '17 Blizzard -50C to B+ for the summer...

- Race Face Arc 45 rims
    - DT Swiss 350 Big Ride hubs
    - DT Swiss spokes (black)
    - DT Swiss nipples (purple)
    - Maxxis Chronicle EXO TR 27.5 x 3.0, setup tubeless

Comparison to the original wheelset:

New B+

vs. Original 26 x 4.8
    all that and no ride report??? really???

Old Fat Guy
    all that and no ride report??? really???
    Heh, heh... fair point!

Weight - haven't stopped long enough to weigh them, but seat-of-the-pants is that they are significantly lighter. MUCH less momentum loss on sudden uphills.

Clearance - stupid amounts of clearance all-around

Pedal Strikes - none so far; I'd estimate the bottom bracket is a couple of centimetres lower than before

General Ride - FUN! While 27.5+ is technically a smaller diameter - and not as close a match - as 29+, the bike just seems to rail! Drop the saddle and this is a super-fun flow bike.

I have been using it as a commuter to work, but have also been on some singletrack. The bike climbs well, and has handled every technical section I've tried so far. A Trek guy I know called it a "mini-stache". I've never actually ridden a 29+ bike, so all I can honestly say is that this bike is a little lower, lighter, and a whole lot of fun!!
    Last edited by bentyyc; 05-17-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50

"Love the ride"