Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmf003 View Post
    More Farley 9.6 size XL weight info:

Bicycle, tubeless with Xpedo Spry pedals: 27.4 lbs

27.5 Hodag tire: 1230 gr (only weighed one)

27.5 tube: 440 gr (both weighed the same)

27.5 wheels:
    Front: 1300 gr
    Rear: 1640 gr (seems too heavy but I've mounted the tire and can't recheck)
    So just weighed my Hodag wheels.
    1140front
    1340rear

About a pound lighter than the Jackalopes. I wish they had used higher end lighter hubs. Probably could be 150-200 grams less.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Picked up my 7 today. Got some weight weenie info for you.

All weights are with Spank spike pedals.

Stock bike 30 lb 6 oz
    Tubeless bike 29 lb 9 oz
    Bluto installed 31 lb 14 oz

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0512.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftchmup View Post
    Pic
    This is what Trek should have built. Sweet Ride!
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Pic
    Sweet bike. Put on some blue rim strips and blue bottle holder. That purple frame is kick butt!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Tnx for the 7 pic, still waitin for mine, havent heard from my lbs yet, but hope to get a txt soon!
    The bluto fits the 7 just perfect!

mtbr member
    Picked up my 7 today. Got some weight weenie info for you.

All weights are with Spank spike pedals.

Stock bike 30 lb 6 oz
    Tubeless bike 29 lb 9 oz
    Bluto installed 31 lb 14 oz
    Did you happen to weigh the Barbegazi's?
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Just put a deposit down on a 5, expected 1st week of November. So excited! My girlfriend says it's the most crass, hideous, obscene thing she has ever seen...so now I KNOW I've done the right thing ! :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Just put a deposit down on a 5, expected 1st week of November. So excited! My girlfriend says it's the most crass, hideous, obscene thing she has ever seen...so now I KNOW I've done the right thing ! :-)
    The girl has some problems if that's true, good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post

I got total weight with tire,

Before after
    Front 7lb 4oz 6lb 12oz
    back 8lb 10oz 8lb 1oz

Oh, it is a 17.5" bike

What about red Grips, rim strips and red graphics on the shok??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-trekfat.jpg  

mtbr member
    I got a 9.6 Farley. Here's my mini-review:

I spent about month researching bikes. This was a lot of money for me to spend, but fat biking year round is my primary recreation and a big part of my life. I wanted to move on from my highly upgraded pugs ops. Early in my search I started to focus on Trek. Each model seemed to have a leg up over the competitors as far as specs. The primary attractions of the Farley line was: thru axles, adjustable and short chainstays, 1x11, no tire limitations, reasonable Q-factor and good components for the money.

My main hesitation was the 27.5 x 80mm wheel set. Not sure I wanted any more diameter for my summer tires and I wasn't sure a slightly lower aspect tire was a good thing for rough trails. Plus, it seemed a little like a gimmick. I even made arrangements to trade the stock wheelset for a nice set of marge lites. But first I took her for a test ride.
    Well "Sam I Am", I DO like 27.5 wheels! Probably partially due to the Trek geometry, they seemed more nimble and quick than my old 26x80mm wheels, while rolling over stuff just a tad bit better. Especially on some low angle gravel, the bike just kept gaining speed more than I was used to. It's not like the extra .75" radius changes the world or anything--it just seems like the bike is slightly faster, better at rolling over trail clutter and has no negative handling drawbacks.

So, sold on the new fangled wheel size, I proceeded to set up tubeless. Took just a few minutes to take out the 1 pound tube, put in stans, inflate with a floor pump. They are even pretaped for you. Compared to my rolling dayrls which required foam, split tube, compressor and chanting sacred spells, this was like pushing the big easy button.

Yesterday I got in the first real hard ride of the bike on a loop with just about every trail condition. I was still wondering about the carbon fork. I'm a rigid kind of guy, and the front fork is very important. I've had carbon forks which are too dang stiff (whisky on my 29er) and carbon forks that are noodles and too soft (the carver on my pugs). Well, Trek's Fork is just right. No tweaking under hard braking, nice compliance and precision. SWEET!

The 11 speed drivetrain preformed perfectly after some adjustments after the first ride. Cable stretch I guess. I ditched the spoke protector once I was sure things were working well.

On yesterdays ride I ran about 10 pounds of pressure on everything from hard pack buff single track, gravel road and rocky hell atv trail (see pics). With my old 26x4 bike, it seemed like such delicate balancing act to get the pressure low enough to not be bouncy, but high enough to not have sluggish steering. Maybe it's my "new bike excitement" but I think I can run a little higher pressure with the 27.5's, to have excellent steering while still having good rock and root absorption.
    I know one thing--I never once thought "gee, I wish I had smaller wheels with less rubber" It was fast and fun for every foot of the ride.

Even though I blew the budget already with this bike, I'm going to go for a second wheelset for winter--clownshoes and 5" dillingers. But I can't wait to try out the 27.5's. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock wheelset gets used just as much or more.

One last thought: It seems like every year there is one or two fat bike brands which lead the pack. It's my opinion that this is Treks year.

Happy Trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-leaning-fir.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-rocky-road.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks for the write up, Teton. I have a couple of weeks on my 9.6 with quite a bit of rough trail riding and mud riding, and I am still impressed. I hot some sharp roots and rocks where I was expecting to get a flat, but had no problem (I am tubeless as well). My biggest issue at this point is breaks. The Avids really like to howel, and scare the s**t out of the hikers when I am approaching and have to get on the brakes. Are others less than impressed with the brake noise? Should I just keep working them hard and hope it will go away? Maybe different pads before I give up on them? Overall, I am really happy with the bike. I agree with you on the tires as well. I was thinking about getting some Dillinger studded tires, but now I am thinking about holding off to see what comes out in 27.5 in the next year since they are working so well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just got my Farley 5, does anyone know if the rear hub is shimano 11 speed compatible?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Damn that 7 is sweet - can't wait!

mtbr member
    has anyoneheard any whispers about the wampa 27.5 wheelset or rim being available aftermarket? ive been looking and havent seen any info...

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by travisjgood View Post
    I just got my Farley 5, does anyone know if the rear hub is shimano 11 speed compatible?
    shimano MTB 11 speed runs on standard 9/10 speed freehub
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
    I pulled the barbie tire off a farley 5 our shop got in, and it weighed 1375g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rain100 View Post
    I pulled the barbie tire off a farley 5 our shop got in, and it weighed 1375g.
    Many thanks my friend!
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    This is interesting. I'm planning on putting my Farley 5 on a diet when I get it. I'm probably gonna start with tubeless, then some Nukeproof Electron pedals, then maybe look at carbon bars. Any Farley 5+ owners got further suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    depends how much you want to spend... at a certain point the 7 is the better route to start...

mtbr member
    Not too much! I was all set to buy a Norco Sight AL 7.1 2015 but then the Fat Bike brain worms took hold. I started my research looking at On-One Fattys (while nice looking bikes) but decided their bikes were still adhering to old standards. I had almost settled on the Canyon Dude (a superb spec Fat Bike) but couldn't live with the wait times...then I found Trek & here I am. People are already telling me it's a fad & there's nowhere here I can ride it but I disagree!

mtbr member
    Some of u might like this..,keep an eye out for the 2 fat bikes. The first one is fully rigid & he's fairly shifting! This is a red bull event that runs in N.Ireland every year:
    http://youtu.be/OWf4Yq2S73A

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    This is interesting. I'm planning on putting my Farley 5 on a diet when I get it. I'm probably gonna start with tubeless, then some Nukeproof Electron pedals, then maybe look at carbon bars. Any Farley 5+ owners got further suggestions?
    You're really fighting an uphill battle there given the drivetrain etc. The carbon bars won't save you much either. Best bet is the 7 with the 1x drivetrain, carbon fork, lighter bars...
    Save a little longer or don't worry about trying to cut weight from the 5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks TitanofChaos

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Still digging my Farley 5. Unfortunately I've missed the last of the snow down here, and we're now into an earlier than usual bushfire season. Just a heads-up: the rear tyre buzzes the front derailleur when the Stranglehold dropout is set at its foremost position. I've subsequently set mine exactly in the middle for the time being but even more reason to convert to a 1x setup sooner rather than later. The lack of interface between Avid brake levers & Shimano shifter mounts is a minor set up flaw: I can get the brake levers perfectly set for 1 finger operation but then the shifter position, especially the front, can't be set optimally. Again...more fuel to prompt a move to the 1x campfire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Trek Farley 7 shipping

The Trek Farley 7's are hitting MN. No time for weighing or in depth reviewing, just snuck in a ride at the park on my way home from the LBS.

5" tires are definitely more than 1" of additional fun than 4" tires. Roots? What roots?

Can't wait to see how she handles in the snow.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-wp_20151007_18_44_18_rich.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    You're really fighting an uphill battle there given the drivetrain etc. The carbon bars won't save you much either. Best bet is the 7 with the 1x drivetrain, carbon fork, lighter bars...
    Save a little longer or don't worry about trying to cut weight from the 5.
    yeah I suppose. As my first venture into Fat Biking I didn't want to spend too much. Will probably just go tubeless to begin. Still want some cash set aside for a Giant Defy 0 or maybe a Norco Sight. Might check with my dealer though how much he can get the 7 for. Didn't see it listed on the UK sites...they go from 5's right up to 9's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Dan View Post
    Still digging my Farley 5. Unfortunately I've missed the last of the snow down here, and we're now into an earlier than usual bushfire season. Just a heads-up: the rear tyre buzzes the front derailleur when the Stranglehold dropout is set at its foremost position. I've subsequently set mine exactly in the middle for the time being but even more reason to convert to a 1x setup sooner rather than later. The lack of interface between Avid brake levers & Shimano shifter mounts is a minor set up flaw: I can get the brake levers perfectly set for 1 finger operation but then the shifter position, especially the front, can't be set optimally. Again...more fuel to prompt a move to the 1x campfire.
    have exact same issue on my 2012 Anthem with Avid brakes and Shimano shifters. Problem is compounded by a Reverb dropper. Wish these manufacturers would pull their finger out and allow cross matching of parts. I know it's against their interests but it frustrates the hell out of me.

lvd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    picked up my 7 yesterday! probably won't get to take it out on dirt until this weekend, but it was even fun riding home from the shop on pavement with this thing

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Which one should I buy; Farley 6 2015 or Farley 5 2016? I like the paint job of 6 more. What are the differences? Price is about the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lvd View Post
    picked up my 7 yesterday! probably won't get to take it out on dirt until this weekend, but it was even fun riding home from the shop on pavement with this thing

I don't think Trek are selling the 7 in the UK here. I can't see it anywhere. Nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Loving that purple LVD. Sweet looking machine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

mtbr member

Tubeless Woes

The split-tube method works super great on my Moonie, but I can't do split-tube method on the 2016 Farly-5's mulefut rims, due to the tubeless ready tire being so tight (not to mention the trek-recammended valves won't work on a single wall rim).

Anyhoo, the mulefut rim, then the liner, with tuck-tape sealing it (left overnight with the tube in, mashing the tape down). This morning I went to put some TLR sauce in them (great stuff by the way), but it and the air come out the rim seams.

I'm stumped. I mean, it must be passing through the tape (hence why I love split-tube), but from inspection, I can't find where.

Does anyone have a some suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Email from my lbs today, they will have it ready tomorrow, or saturday! Can't sleep

mtbr member
    My LBS had me do a little test ride on a Stache 7 (same color). I'm afraid if he had a Farley 7 I wouldn't be able to walk away.
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surlybugger View Post
    The split-tube method works super great on my Moonie, but I can't do split-tube method on the 2016 Farly-5's mulefut rims, due to the tubeless ready tire being so tight (not to mention the trek-recammended valves won't work on a single wall rim).

Anyhoo, the mulefut rim, then the liner, with tuck-tape sealing it (left overnight with the tube in, mashing the tape down). This morning I went to put some TLR sauce in them (great stuff by the way), but it and the air come out the rim seams.

I'm stumped. I mean, it must be passing through the tape (hence why I love split-tube), but from inspection, I can't find where.

Does anyone have a some suggestions?
    HI Surly,
    I had a few failures with black gorilla tape myself. Finally I used two wraps and filled the little rim holes with epoxy and it worked like a charm. But later have learned that this tape is not ideal, even as popular as it is. I'd suggest using the 78mm tape made for for this rim:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=139

many have not filled the little holes and had good results as long as the tape covers them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What is so hard about using the actual tape sold for these rims and proven to work? Start there rather than almost intentuonaly and inexplicably asking for problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    HI Surly,
    I had a few failures with black gorilla tape myself. Finally I used two wraps and filled the little rim holes with epoxy and it worked like a charm. But later have learned that this tape is not ideal, even as popular as it is. I'd suggest using the 78mm tape made for for this rim:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=139

many have not filled the little holes and had good results as long as the tape covers them.
    Thanks for the kit link and info. Funny you mentioned epoxy resin. I let some wick into the one rim with the leaky rim seam.

What is so hard about using the actual tape sold for these rims and proven to work? Start there rather than almost intentuonaly and inexplicably asking for problems.
    I just discovered the actual tape kit now, upon recieiving the reply notifications. First thing I did was ask trek what to do. The reply was info regurgitated from the known methods discussed elsewhere on this fine site, and obviously the tech had never done it on the actual rim he was talking about, becuse what he said to use would not actually work. The kits they offered were for the jackalope rim too.

I figured the tuck tape, because it was thin. Well see how the hold; and if not, the kit above to solve it for good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think you'll have good luck with the Sun tape - should be trouble free.
    FYI there is a Mulefut 80sl thread here, if you haven't seen it yet. Dig it up and
    give it a gander.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Picked up my Farley 7 at J&R Cycle and Ski in Villa Park, IL yesterday. Great folks to work with, I called and they dropped what they were doing to assemble the bike so I could pick it up on my way through Chicago (my lbs at home said they wouldn't have one until January, if at all).

Loving it so far, it's my first fat bike. Parts ordered to convert to tubeless, and a Bluto is in my future as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    pics or it didn't happen

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Pic
    Were you able to reuse the crown race from the stock fork with the Bluto?
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It should work

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Were you able to reuse the crown race from the stock fork with the Bluto?
    LBS ordered another crown race so changing between forks is easier. They are interchangeable according to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Finally after a long wait my Farley 9.8 is here!

Trek Farley by , on Flickr

24.53lb as it sits.. tubeless 4oz of stans in each wheel with alloy valves. bumped the front rotor to 180mm with adapter. also swapped grips to ODI SLs and switch stem to Race Face Turbine 60mm and Ti rotor bolts. Need to chop the steerer, apply some frame savers swap the housing to Alligator iLink. remove the warning labels..

Some notes...

was able to setup front wheel tubeless with just my Lezyne floor pump.

Front wheel - 1160g
    Rear wheel - 1355g
    Tires - 1290g, 1295g

Crankset has ring flipped which would should mean 169mm spindle. Will confirm next week when my new chainring comes in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    pics or it didn't happen
    Argh, busted! I made it all up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Picked up my 19,5" farley (i'm 5ft,11in) 7 half an hour ago. Sweeeet
    I did not understand the pic uploader, so I gave up...
    Ordered a bluto as well. Probably goin for a little ride now

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crohnsy View Post
    Finally after a long wait my Farley 9.8 is here!

Trek Farley by , on Flickr

24.53lb as it sits.. tubeless 4oz of stans in each wheel with alloy valves. bumped the front rotor to 180mm with adapter. also swapped grips to ODI SLs and switch stem to Race Face Turbine 60mm and Ti rotor bolts. Need to chop the steerer, apply some frame savers swap the housing to Alligator iLink. remove the warning labels..

Some notes...

was able to setup front wheel tubeless with just my Lezyne floor pump.

Front wheel - 1160g
    Rear wheel - 1355g
    Tires - 1290g, 1295g

Crankset has ring flipped which would should mean 169mm spindle. Will confirm next week when my new chainring comes in.
    Are those the stock bars & grips? If so, they're different from my recently purchased 9.8. Trek might have made a running change.

Also, what chainring are you putting on?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The bars are stock. Rxl carbons. Grips are after market. Odi longneck sl's changed the stem from rxl 80 to turbine 60

Just switching to a red race face ring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Farley 9.6

With small mods
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-p5pb12772239.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    Which one should I buy; Farley 6 2015 or Farley 5 2016? I like the paint job of 6 more. What are the differences? Price is about the same.

I might be biased, but the 6 probably has slightly better components. However it is limited to four inch tires. This has not been a problem for me in NW Wisconsin. I love my 6 for both single track and winter. I debated upgrading to a 7 primarily because I think the purple looks awesome, but opted to purchase a Surly Karate Monkey SS instead. If I was buying a new fat today, It'd be the 7.

Bottom line, you couldn't go wrong with either. What is the price on the 6?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMMu76 View Post
    With small mods
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb12772239.jpg 
Views:	7162 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	1021328
    That is absolutely beautiful! Well done!

I'm looking at doing clownshoe version of that for winter.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm A nice mixer this morning

A few pics from my ride this morning

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0100.jpg
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0103.jpg
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0094.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Takes the single track better than I thought it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedeezy View Post
    Takes the single track better than I thought it would.

I really enjoy mine out on the trail I got about 20 miles single track this morning and another 12 gravel/paved to get there and home. Thing is just a blast to ride.
    Last edited by tadraper; 10-10-2015 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    A few pics from my ride this morning

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	1021530

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg 
Views:	2235 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	1021531

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	1021532
    Nice bike..lol like the 27.5 wheel size but hoping there are more options coming sooner rather than later.

mtbr member
    I think you'll have good luck with the Sun tape - should be trouble free.
    FYI there is a Mulefut 80sl thread here, if you haven't seen it yet. Dig it up and
    give it a gander.
    Thanks Gambit. I'll hunt it down and send the link to my buddies that own the things.

It's a pity they have to spend so much with Treks system.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    With small mods

Looks beasty with the Bud and Lou!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Looks beasty with the Bud and Lou!
    I wish there was a 27.5 bud and Lou. I ran those on my fatback. Maybe next year we will get some different options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    With small mods

That looks gnarly man!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

1st post.

After following this thread since it was at 2 pages, I am happy say that "this" happened today:

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0242.jpg

No big mods, my saddle, tubeless... had a great ride this evening and look forward to riding tomorrow.

thanks to everyone else for posting all the pics.... has been a fun wait.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Stopped by my LBS and they had two Farley 9.6s. Stock large with tubes and without pedals was 28.2 pounds. Bike felt solid on the test drive. Was tempted at 2999. Don't want a press fit BB though.

Side note they have had three Whiskey carbon rim failures. Saw one. Broken at two different locations. Said it was a bad batch..

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Farley 7 First Ride

Got out on the trails in Percy Warner Park in Nashville today. We ran into probably a dozen other riders, at least half of whom said "nice fattie!". I didn't think I was that out of shape, but maybe the trail riding will do me some good. They damn sure better not have been talking about my wife.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got a few rides in now and am absolutely loving this bike! I converted to tubeless and damn those tubes were heavy! I used the SR tape that is made for the rims, worked like a dream!

Ran into a couple of fellow Farley owners at the Arcadia Dunes yesterday, they were sporting the 6 and 8 from last year. It was great shooting the s**t with them! One of them mentioned a Farley group on FB, anyone have a link to that?

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I wish there was a 27.5 bud and Lou. I ran those on my fatback. Maybe next year we will get some different options.
    The problem is if Surly made a 27.5x4.8 bud and lou it likely wouldn't fit in the Farley or any other production frame for that matter. The diameter would be in the 32" range. In order to increase the width, you'd also need to increase the diameter, so I'm not sure if you will be able to go much wider on the current Trek frames without dropping down to the 26" rims.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    The problem is if Surly made a 27.5x4.8 bud and lou it likely wouldn't fit in the Farley or any other production frame for that matter. The diameter would be in the 32" range. In order to increase the width, you'd also need to increase the diameter, so I'm not sure if you will be able to go much wider on the current Trek frames without dropping down to the 26" rims.

I agree 100% i just want a bud an lou that will fit say 27.5x4.25 or something. i am sure my wheels and tires will work fine in most all conditions i ride. i just know that my bud and lou worked great year round without any thoughts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think you are forgetting about the sliding dropouts.... also if a 26X4.8 will fit, then a 27.5 will fit for width but with dropouts further back...

mtbr member
    I think you are forgetting about the sliding dropouts.... also if a 26X4.8 will fit, then a 27.5 will fit for width but with dropouts further back...
    Maybe we will get to see when someone makes them!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I realize it has them, but I thought they were in the back position to fit a 26x4.8"? If it will fit the 4.8" with them forward then yes the extra 15mm would give enough to to fit an extra 30mm in diameter, which the 27.5" tire should be about 1.5" bigger (38mm), so it would be pretty close.

I agree that width shouldn't be an issue, unless the slightly rounder tire shape hits the front of the chainstay or something like on the Framed bikes.

It it did fit it would likely look like Blackborrows running the giant Snowshoe XXL's as it would have a similar or slightly larger diameter.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Added some red bits to the Farley today!!

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0104.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I realize it has them, but I thought they were in the back position to fit a 26x4.8"? If it will fit the 4.8" with them forward then yes the extra 15mm would give enough to to fit an extra 30mm in diameter, which the 27.5" tire should be about 1.5" bigger (38mm), so it would be pretty close.

I agree that width shouldn't be an issue, unless the slightly rounder tire shape hits the front of the chainstay or something like on the Framed bikes.

It it did fit it would likely look like Blackborrows running the giant Snowshoe XXL's as it would have a similar or slightly larger diameter.
    I can confirm that the Barbegazi does fit with the sliders all the way forward, and with a lot of room still! This is how I've had mine since day one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tschram72 View Post
    I can confirm that the Barbegazi does fit with the sliders all the way forward, and with a lot of room still! This is how I've had mine since day one.
    Yep. 27.5 all the way forward for me too. Max playfull and max rear traction.

I love coming into technical section of the trail and having the option of either dancing around each rock or just rolling over everything. Decision making is always easier when there is no wrong answer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bad news for my 9.6:
    Day 5 - great ride, but noticed at 10/12 lbs of pressure (tubeless) that the sides of the front tire will "bottom" out to the rim on hard hit roots/rocks, etc... definitely needed more air, but I am a big dude... so I wouldn't mind going up a pound or two, but not really excited about running them too bouncy..

Day 6 - After finished up in the dark last night I put the bike away and went to put air in the front tire today. Put 17lbs of pressure in it to see how it behaves. Went to put air in the rear and BAM - rear rim is bent/dented badly. Air was holding, but the bike is back in the shop. Don't know what is going to happen with the rim if it will be replaced, if I will pay, etc.. BUT the bigger issue I have is that I wasn't that hard on them and I don't want a bike that I have to "baby" on the trail... we will see...

mtbr member
    Tennismike what wheels do you have and which Farley do you have? Thanks

i see now could not see the farley version on my phone!!! hope they fix you up right and that it was just a bad wheel..
    Last edited by tadraper; 10-15-2015 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well that illustrates exactly what I've been saying about Treks decision to go with 80mm carbon rims instead of 65mm aluminum (or carbon for that matter). Pretty short sighted, and one reason I went with a 7.
    Sorry to hear if your problem, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. With that shorter sidewall and wide rim, those carbon rims are just waiting to be clouted by a rock.

mtbr member
    The 9.6 doesn't have carbon wheels...
    Well that illustrates exactly what I've been saying about Treks decision to go with 80mm carbon rims instead of 65mm aluminum (or carbon for that matter). Pretty short sighted, and one reason I went with a 7.
    Sorry to hear if your problem, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. With that shorter sidewall and wide rim, those carbon rims are just waiting to be clouted by a rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah you're right, missed that.
    Same thing applies though with regard to rim width and those tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Added some red bits to the Farley today!!

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg 
Views:	1092 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	1022423
    Tad that is a SAHWEET looking machine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would counter by saying every rim width has been damaged at one time or another.

mtbr member
    I agree with you there. I think we'll be seeing more of this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I would counter by saying every rim width has been damaged at one time or another.
    Well that's like saying people have died in car accidents even though they had their seat belts on. Sure, but doesn't mean it isn't less likely if a different decision is made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    When I find out if I am "paying" for this tomorrow, I will be deciding wether or not I will be switching to 26 inch wheels or perhaps this is an anomaly? The thing is that when demoing the 9.8 I went back after 1 minute in the skills park with the carbon wheel set and had them add more air when I noticed the same thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    I agree with you there. I think we'll be seeing more of this.

mtbr member
    I've been riding 80's with 3.8 tires for years and just have a few dings here and there.
    the 27.5's with 3.8 " don't look all that much different to me--same width, just a little less sidewall height. And since I like to run the 27.5 slightly higher pressure, I feel there isn't any increased risk of rim destruction. I think I'll worry about other stuff when I'm out riding...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What I meant, and obviously I did a horrible job saying it, is no matter the width or material it could fail. I wouldn't read much into this failure at all and yes I agree, I'd worry about other stuff as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tennismike View Post
    Bad news for my 9.6:
    Day 5 - great ride, but noticed at 10/12 lbs of pressure (tubeless) that the sides of the front tire will "bottom" out to the rim on hard hit roots/rocks, etc... definitely needed more air, but I am a big dude... so I wouldn't mind going up a pound or two, but not really excited about running them too bouncy..

Day 6 - After finished up in the dark last night I put the bike away and went to put air in the front tire today. Put 17lbs of pressure in it to see how it behaves. Went to put air in the rear and BAM - rear rim is bent/dented badly. Air was holding, but the bike is back in the shop. Don't know what is going to happen with the rim if it will be replaced, if I will pay, etc.. BUT the bigger issue I have is that I wasn't that hard on them and I don't want a bike that I have to "baby" on the trail... we will see...
    That's a bummer man.

I have been out a few times on my Farley 5 and have been running my tires around 6 or 7 PSI. 17+ seems high to me? I am 230lb for the record.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by moshock View Post
    That's a bummer man.

I have been out a few times on my Farley 5 and have been running my tires around 6 or 7 PSI. 17+ seems high to me? I am 230lb for the record.
    The F5 has bigger tires than the 9.6, no worries, secondly I imagine the guys with Wampa rims are really nervous about it.

FYI, any Trek Farley owners want to join the FB group here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrexFarley/

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What I meant, and obviously I did a horrible job saying it, is no matter the width or material it could fail. I wouldn't read much into this failure at all and yes I agree, I'd worry about other stuff as well.
    You did a fine job, but again it's like saying you can also die if you're wearing a seatbelt. Same difference. I'd also worry about other stuff instead, but it would be easier for me personally with a bit more sidewall and/or rounder profile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just picked up a '16 Farley 7 - 29.67 lbs bone stock without pedals for size large. I have a 100mm Bluto RCT3 on order for it, but it's back ordered. How would a 120mm Bluto, (which is available) do on it? The build will be pretty aggro with a dropper, shortie stem and all, so maybe it'd be fitting? Share any opinions on how the longer fork would be.

The bike is gorgeous. I wasn't sure if I *needed* this thing in my life. But now I know I do. #purplepeopleater

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

120mm Bluto

""Just picked up a '16 Farley 7 - 29.67 lbs bone stock without pedals for size large. I have a 100mm Bluto RCT3 on order for it, but it's back ordered. How would a 120mm Bluto, (which is available) do on it? The build will be pretty aggro with a dropper, shortie stem and all, so maybe it'd be fitting? Share any opinions on how the longer fork would be. ""

Kind like this.... A bit "twitchy" at first. Dropped air to 9 and 9.5 in the front. Seems to be fine. May try a 60mm stem. Been having a ball on it!!! I am no pro, just having fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-trekfat.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0512.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    27.5 Bent Rim update:

No trek wheelsets or rims available until LATE NOVEMBER....there's always a risk being an early adopter, but a bummer to be sidelined with a $3k bike for more than a month. Not real stoked at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by moshock View Post
    That's a bummer man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That is a real bummer man, so stoked to have a new bike and can't ride it. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I went back and reread Tennismike's posts, and I I am not having this experience. I am riding a lot of really tight trails with lots of roots, rocks and stumps, and yesterday at the top of a mountain with a lot of loose bedrock that I went through pretty fast and hard. I went out and looked at my rims, and all is good. There are some pretty good marks on the sidewalls, but the stop at about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the sidewall. I could see how any rim could get a strike, given the rock or root is at the right angle, and that the 27.5 would be more likely since it is a shorter sidewall. As for bottoming the rim on hits, I can't say I can focus on the rim and tire when running hard down a little rough trail, but it does not seem like I am anywhere close to bottoming it. I have been running 9 psi in the back and 8 psi in the front.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the rim Tennis. Big bummer. Maybe it's a good time to get some clownshoes for snow riding?

The more I look at it, I think I'm l no more likely to hit the rim with the 27.5 as a 26 . I've been using about 10 or 12 pounds, compared to my 26's which I like 8 pounds. The rim is indeed a little closer to the ground, but it's also tucked in a little closer the the wide part of the tire.

Here's a few pics. The 27 rim is about 3/8" closer to the ground than on my wifes 26 farley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-twotires3.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-twotires2.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-twotires.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting thoughts on tires and 26 vs 27.5. I just switched from a Farley 6 to a 9.8 and I have gone down in tire pressure if I ran 10/11 on the 26, Im now at 9/9.5 on the 27.5. Im riding same trails, rocks, roots etc no problem. I weigh 200 lbs

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0728.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Trust me, I hope NOBODY has any issues, that I get a new rim and life is grand. The mechanic that I trust at the LBS brought up a good point. The sidewall and tire is a bit soft for me, so perhaps when 45NRTH or somebody make another tire choice that will be the answer for me. Until then, my plan is get a new rim (sometime), up the pressure and potentially put my tubes back in. On a side note they also have a broken carbon rim in the shop from a 9.8... certainly doesn't mean anything, but it means there is some other dude who paid a chunk of change who is also sidelined.
    Quote Originally Posted by sowleman View Post
    Interesting thoughts on tires and 26 vs 27.5. I just switched from a Farley 6 to a 9.8 and I have gone down in tire pressure if I ran 10/11 on the 26, Im now at 9/9.5 on the 27.5. Im riding same trails, rocks, roots etc no problem. I weigh 200 lbs

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg 
Views:	3431 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	1022869

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sucks to have a new bike sidelined- I was there last winter with my Fatboy and the rear hub. I worried about it even after it was fixed, and ended up buying a better hub to replace it, just so I could fix it myself if needed and not have to to wait for parts at the LBS.

Instead of missing the best part of the riding season in MN, you could consider picking up a set of 26" rims and tires. Used sets pop up from time to time in the classifieds, Craigslist, and Fatbike trader on FB. If you have the cash- the DT Swiss BR 2250 wheelset can be found in the $700+duty range on the Euro sites and is actually a few hundred grams lighter than the 9.8 wheels. Grab a set of aggressive 4.8's and you'll be set to tear up some leaf and snow covered trails.

If if you think this may be a reoccurring issue, or will have to run compromises like higher psi or tubes to prevent it; you may want to consider 26x4.8 anyway. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of riders who will buy your 27.5" wheels if you decided to sell them.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yup, remember all the flak we got for saying so back in June.....
    27.5X4 Who's excited? Who's not?
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    If you have the cash- the DT Swiss BR 2250 wheelset can be found in the $700+duty range on the Euro sites and is actually a few hundred grams lighter than the 9.8 wheels. Grab a set of aggressive 4.8's and you'll be set to tear up some leaf and snow covered trails. .
    I am considering this same thing for my 9.6. Can someone point me to the specifics that I should get. I understand that it is a matter of personal preference, but does someone put out a wheel set up for my bike? I was thinking about putting a set of Dillinger 5 studded on them for the winter and using my 27.5 for the summer. I would like to go wider for winter, but it does not seem like there are many options. Is the saran wrap tubeless the best way to go with this setup?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast