Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 1,801 to 1,839 of 1839
    oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Here's a photo of what I did... not perfect but it is waterproof. :-)

This did require drilling out the derailer outlet (which I'll never use as my bike is 1/12) which surprisingly is metal and was difficult to drill (I couldn't get a clamp to hold it right in my drill press so had to hand massage it).

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    66 degrees on the trail today - crazy Feb temps for Colorado and supposed to be over 70 tomorrow!

Had to play hooky for a few hours :-)

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Maybe a Suspension fork is in your future? It's in mine for sure for a few reasons. To relax or bring up the front end of the bike. Also to provide some cushy body relieving trak
    Maybe

I'm still torn between a Lauf (which would keep the bike lighter) and a Bluto... or leaving the bike in its super light mode that it is now. I haven't been able to decide yet.
    I am fortunate to also have a full suspension Yeti SB95C for when I am going to ride rougher stuff.

After today's ride (16 miles, 2100 ft of climbing) I am pretty happy with the HDH bars; even at the full 800mm today they felt great! (I'm a pretty big guy... not sure if I'm going to trim them or not). Really helped the geometry match me better.. the bike is finally coming together and fitting me how I want it.

If anyone wants to buy the fancy 9.9 seat, carbon seat post, carbon bars or carbon steering stem let me know :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Maybe

I'm still torn between a Lauf (which would keep the bike lighter) and a Bluto... or leaving the bike in its super light mode that it is now. I haven't been able to decide yet.
    I am fortunate to also have a full suspension Yeti SB95C for when I am going to ride rougher stuff.

After today's ride (16 miles, 2100 ft of climbing) I am pretty happy with the HDH bars; even at the full 800mm today they felt great! (I'm a pretty big guy... not sure if I'm going to trim them or not). Really helped the geometry match me better.. the bike is finally coming together and fitting me how I want it.

If anyone wants to buy the fancy 9.9 seat, carbon seat post, carbon bars or carbon steering stem let me know :-)
    The Wren suspension fork, though heavier, has been getting rave reviews. It would work with the 27.5 x 4.5 tires too. If you're only gonna run 27.5 x 3.8 tires with suspension, I'm thinking the Fox 34 27.5 would be a great choice too. I have a Bluto w/RCT on another bike and its underwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quick question. I have a 2016 9.6 and was toying around with getting a carbon crankset. What are the specs I need to look for? I can't find them on treks website, they are a bit vague about actual numbers. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=Geek;13034272]66 degrees on the trail today

That is so freaking cool dude. Wow. Sweet bike, sweet weather, sweet scenery. You're a lucky dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quick question. I have a 2016 9.6 and was toying around with getting a carbon crankset. What are the specs I need to look for? I can't find them on treks website, they are a bit vague about actual numbers. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I new the 27.5 x 4.5 were big I just didn't realize how big they were.

Also had the local bike shop replace the stock wheels with a set 27.5 Jackalopes. Going to give the 27.5 rims a try before swap the hub on my HED wheel set. Who knows I may like 27.5 more then 26

These will also double as my Winter wheel set if we ever see snow again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've searched through the threads. What is the best chainring to get for optimal chainline? I want a 32T. The reverse dish Wolftooth only comes in a 30. I was told I can get the CAMO system from Wolftooth. Or just buy a normal RaceFace Cinch 32t? What has worked? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyniner29 View Post
    I've searched through the threads. What is the best chainring to get for optimal chainline? I want a 32T. The reverse dish Wolftooth only comes in a 30. I was told I can get the CAMO system from Wolftooth. Or just buy a normal RaceFace Cinch 32t? What has worked? Thanks!
    If you want an oval ring, it has to be specified as a reverse dish, so very few options available. If you want a standard round ring, any Cinch ring will work as long as you mount it reversed. Not sure how big you can go before there is clearance issues though. Stock is 28 I believe, and I run a 26 so I have tons of room.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    I'm running the Absoluteblack oval with the XX1 eagle setup. It has a +6 offset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yea, I want a round 32t. So all round Cinch rings are offset? It's just not listed in the specs?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how much the stock AL fork on the 2016 Farley 5 (probably same as 2017 Farley 5) weighs?

2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yea, I want a round 32t. So all round Cinch rings are offset? It's just not listed in the specs?
    I run a 32 cinch flipped and it fits fine. No issues.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Absolute Black's Oval for Boost Cinch works best. Read near bottom for fat specifics:
    https://absoluteblack.cc/raceface-ov...inch-chainring

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Does anyone know how much the stock AL fork on the 2016 Farley 5 (probably same as 2017 Farley 5) weighs?
    Stock fork, less crown race, but incl. +20 brake adapter & caliper bolts 1087g

(2016 Farley 5 17.5")

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have dilemma. I can't decide which Farley to get. Money is always a object but there is no sense to buy crappy bike.

1. -16 Farley 5 is 1370€ (almost same amount in $): alu frame, 10x, avid db1, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and aluminium fork
    2. -17 Farley 7 is 2099€: alu frame, 11x, sram level, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and carbon fork (difference to Farley 5 carbon fork, little bit better brakes and 11x)
    3. -16 Farley 9.6 is 2028€: carbon frame, 11x, avid db3, 27,5x4" 80mm Jackalopes and carbon fork (difference to Farley 7 carbon frame, brakes, Jackalope rims and 27,5x4" types).

Which you would take? -16 Farley 7 would be best for me but they didn't import it to Europe at 2016.
    Last edited by Tctic; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:00 AM.

mtbr member
    I would buy the 9.6 if the $600 wasn't an issue.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tctic View Post
    I have dilemma. I can't decide which Farley to get. Money is always a object but there is no sense to buy crappy bike.

1. -16 Farley 5 is 1370€ (almost same amount in $): alu frame, 10x, avid db1, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and aluminium fork
    2. -17 Farley 7 is 2099€: alu frame, 11x, sram level, 26x4,7" 80mm Mulefuts and carbon fork (difference to Farley 5 carbon fork, little bit better brakes and 11x)
    3. -16 Farley 9.6 is 2028€: carbon frame, 11x, avid db3, 27,5x4" 80mm Jackalopes and carbon fork (difference to Farley 7 carbon frame, brakes, Jackalope rims and 27,5x4" types).

Which you would take? -16 Farley 7 would be best for me but they didn't import it to Europe at 2016.
    #3. That's a really good price for a 9.6 if I did the math right on the currency conversion and it's a *lot* more bike. I'm a big fan of the 27.5" format at 3.8" and even more so at 4.5" tires for snow and sand.

I have a 9.8 and I'm really amazed at how quick and nimble the bike is. Part of that is the carbon frame and part of that is the geometry. But my biggest reason for buying the Trek Farley was the tire format and so far that decision has turned out to be a very good one. Trek's research into rims and tires at that size is spot on at least in my application.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    IMO humble opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, the 9.6 is the best bang for the buck anywhere on a fatbike. Which would explain why they sold every one already, or at least that's what I was told anyway. If it's true, that's quite a feat considering so many companies are struggling with fatbike sales right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
    Stock fork, less crown race, but incl. +20 brake adapter & caliper bolts 1087g

(2016 Farley 5 17.5")
    Thanks! I mean I own the F5 but no scales and wondering if a replacement carbon fork is worth it for the weight savings. At the moment the only one I would consider (if I came into a small fortune) would be the Lauf Carbonara which is listed as "sub" 1100g so not that much different. I'm quite happy with rigid at the moment.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tctic View Post

I had the exact same dilemma. I went to my local Trek dealer and he said he could get any of them, then looked it up on the system and the 7 didn't appear for him. It was the one I wanted due to slightly higher spec and carbon fork but I was a bit hesitant on the colour. The '16 F7 was a bright purple which I liked but not sure how long I would like it for.
    The 5 is an awesome bike but Trek seriously f***ed up putting a 135mm hub/fork on it...more so cos they are in my mind leading a lot of the fat bike standards (eg sliding dropouts. variable wheel sizes). It was obviously done as a cost saving exercise. I'm already thinking about upgrading mine (probably fork, brakes and tyres next) so as one of the other guys has said...I would go with the 9.6. I'm kind of baffled why BOTH the 2016/17 F7's aren't being imported to Europe. Weird.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Anyone come across any recent frame bags that fit the 19.5" frame really well? I have a Blackburn medium expandable one but it doesn't fill the frame well and I find is limited space wise.. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Broke my rear hub again today. 2nd one to go on Farley 7. Trek warrantied first one 8months ago.

What is a bulletproof hub? I was thinking of The DT Swiss 350 Big Ride? I would love a silent Onyx hub but too rich for my blood.

DT Swiss 350:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80813

What about Novatech?
    https://www.amazon.com/Novatec-D202S.../dp/B015MTZCJM

Or Hope?

Hate the i9 killer bee buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by geop View Post
    From July 2016: My rear hub locked up on Saturday. One pawl partially broke as well. LBS mechanic couldn't find a pawl rebuild kit listing. Price is $150CDN for a new freehub. I insisted a warranty claim as it is barely 2 months old.
    Last edited by geop; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I can't find it anywhere, what is Farley 7 seatclamp size?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettanfinland View Post
    I can't find it anywhere, what is Farley 7 seatclamp size?

mtbr member
    Broke my rear hub again today. 2nd one to go on Farley 7. Trek warrantied first one 8months ago.

What is a bulletproof hub? I was thinking of The DT Swiss 350 Big Ride? I would love a silent Onyx hub but too rich for my blood.

DT Swiss 350:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80813
    Here is my freehub. One pawl is shaved off. The hub bangs everytime I crank on it uphill. Dealer has pawl kit for me.

I would suggest everyone check their freehub. Mine was fairly/farley dirty. Easy enough to remove, clean and regrease.

But I plan to upgrade the hub to a DT Swiss 350 Big Ride soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-freehub-feb2017.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I was able to snag a 2017 9.6 on Monday!

I called about 9 LBS all of them laughed and said they sold their last one months ago - that Trek is no longer making them and that the 18's will be out over the summer.

The 10th dealer I almost didn't call - but glad I did, they had one 19.5 left!

So far got a few runs in - nasty rock gardens, roots, gravel, steep climbs wet leaves, and narrow single track - the bike is so freaking fun to ride and climbs way better than I thought it would.

I am running 9psi in back and 8psi in front that I need to drop asap - I was bouncing a tad more than I wanted. Going to wait until the 30 day service to go tubeless and just learn the bike until then.

Any tips or must have add-ons (seat post dropper is soon too) I should know about with this carbon frame?

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes

Here is my freehub. One pawl is shaved off. The hub bangs everytime I crank on it uphill. Dealer has pawl kit for me.

I would suggest everyone check their freehub. Mine was fairly/farley dirty. Easy enough to remove, clean and regrease.

But I plan to upgrade the hub to a DT Swiss 350 Big Ride soon.
    Blew my 6s twice in one winter, got a dt on it over the following summer. Ive been harder on it than ever and zero issues. 18t is sturdier, quiet. 36t and 54t (52?) buzz like bees but can possibly chip ( not easy tho) The ease of changing the ratchet too less is amazing.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDP View Post
    I was able to snag a 2017 9.6 on Monday!

I called about 9 LBS all of them laughed and said they sold their last one months ago - that Trek is no longer making them and that the 18's will be out over the summer.

The 10th dealer I almost didn't call - but glad I did, they had one 19.5 left!

So far got a few runs in - nasty rock gardens, roots, gravel, steep climbs wet leaves, and narrow single track - the bike is so freaking fun to ride and climbs way better than I thought it would.

I am running 9psi in back and 8psi in front that I need to drop asap - I was bouncing a tad more than I wanted. Going to wait until the 30 day service to go tubeless and just learn the bike until then.

Any tips or must have add-ons (seat post dropper is soon too) I should know about with this carbon frame?

Thanks everyone!
    Slam that back wheel forward, tubeless, ride the snot out of it.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    [Being lazy] How do you remove it? [/Being lazy]

I suspect the bearings are on the way out on mine - it grumbles a bit when back pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I run a 32 cinch flipped and it fits fine. No issues.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    i have a 28t Flipped, there is about 5mm clearance, i thought i can not have gone bigger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-20170226_143606.jpg  

16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Slam that back wheel forward, tubeless, ride the snot out of it.
    YES sir!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    i have a 28t Flipped, there is about 5mm clearance, i thought i can not have gone bigger
    Running Wolftooth CAMO with a 32 at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
    [Being lazy] How do you remove it? [/Being lazy]

I suspect the bearings are on the way out on mine - it grumbles a bit when back pedaling.
    Remove the cassette with a standard chain whip and lockring tool. The freehub slides right off.

mtbr member
    Cheers bud!

mtbr member
    OK, if you're as dumb as me, you might need someone to tell you that the freehub won't come off until you've taken the end cap off - the bit with the hole in here:

It just pushes on, but even with the nail, I couldn't move the cap without resorting to levering against the freehub with a screwdriver. It was well and truly stuck in place.

My pawls are intact (thank goodness), but there was very little lubrication left:

and a lot of rust / fretting

Everything cleaned up OK and still seems in serviceable condition:

Don't lose the spacer!

I lubed the pawls with some heavy gear oil put everything back together and it is working fine. The bearings in the freehub are fine - the grumbling noise I was hearing was the dork disc rubbing on the spokes

Thanks to Geop for a timely reminder - thankfully my freeehub is OK, but it was definitely in need of some maintenance.

mtbr member
    Hmmm... I had my hub come off while shaking the sealant around in my tire this week... Maybe I should look into that a little...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637